The Daily for Saturday Feb 27, 2021

richwmn

Good afternoon all!

Good to hear from everyone, love keeping up with what everyone is doing.

This may be the first time I’d turn down the meal suggestion, the wine and the drink. I am not at all fond of ham and beans, avoid dessert wines, and never having been a smoker, I can’t imagine wanting to ingest tobacco syrup. I’ll echo some others-yuck 🤢.

DH and I were getting haircuts today, but received a call saying my beautician had broken her foot. She broke this foot several months ago and now has done it again! I’m thinking she will be out of action for a time; I hope she recovers quickly, but although she’s younger than me, she’s in her mid-60’s so those bones don’t seem to knit as easily as when we were younger. 

Monday will be our big day for our second shot of vaccine. Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well.

St Louis Sal

p.s. Haven’t seen a polar bear in the wild, but our St Louis Zoo has Kali.  He was rescued in Point Lay, Alaska when a native hunter killed his mother, not realizing she had a cub. Kali went zoo to zoo from Anchorage to Boston to New York and finally to St Louis. FedEx brought him to St Louis for free as their donation. He settled in quite nicely and seems to enjoy his habitat. I have some pictures of him, but not on my iPad. I will maybe share one later.

• Like 18

7 hours ago, richwmn said:

Open That Bottle Night

Wine of the day - Chateau d'Yquem Sauternes - France

5 hours ago, cat shepard said:

This extremely pricey dessert wine has won numerous awards over the last decades. And every vintage released with their label is superbly rated! The cheapest online price I found was $408. But you might be able to get it for a better price. As a dessert wine, a bottle would last a very long time.  I’ve included a link for those who want to see what reviewers say about it.  https://www.wine-searcher.com/find/d+yquem+sauternes+bordeaux+france#t3

Note: Many of the reviews are non-English.

Before I start on my wine pontification, I have to say that Ham & Bean Stew sounds pretty darned good to me, and the pic posted by @dfish seals the deal;

.

Chateau d'Yquem!   YOWZERS!!!!!!!

Even us California wine bigots acknowledge the liquid gold magnificence of d'Yquem.

Let's see.  It's Open a Bottle Night, and the Vin du Jour is Yuckum.  

2093751916_IMG_6775(1).thumb.jpg.c733fc8e7226e6f1aa065389be1f066b.jpg

Probably won't happen tonight.  Maybe after the pandemic when we can share with friends.

Amplifying @cat shepard's usual excellent report, one reason why she found excellent ratings for  every vintage year is because the Chateau does not release a wine for any year that does not meet their high standards.  For example, if you are ever offered a bottle of the 2012 Ch. d'Yquem, run away.  It's a fraud.  Ch. d'Yquem did not release a 2012 wine,

I will also add that Total Wine has a few vintages of d'Yquem for less than $400 (admittedly, not much less than $400), but, also, they have half-bottles (375ml) of multiple vintages in the $200 range.

Here is one of my favorite pairings for a dessert wine such as this.  It's so easy that even a guy can do it;

Split a pear (any variety you like) in half, lengthwise.  (If you want to peal the skin off, before halving, that's fine.  Up to you.)  Scrape out the core of both the halves.  Lay each of the halves in a saucer or shallow bowl with the hollowed out core facing up.  Fill the hollow with blue-veined cheese.  Feel free to pick the cheese that you prefer--Bleu, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Stilton.  I, personally, have no preference, but some people do.

That;s it

Now, if you want to get fancy-schmancy you can poach the pear halves beforehand. let them cool and serve with the poaching liquid poured over.  Pretty decadent.

• Like 12

2 hours ago, bennybear said:

Good morning and thanks all!  Agree about that drink, ick,  but would like a sip of that wine!  
We’ve had more snow, seems like again and again, but maybe if March comes in like a lion.....

The birds seem more active so hopefully spring is coming!  

46CDACA7-17E2-40C3-A048-3F5ECDF74A3D.jpeg

AB61E0AD-B871-4823-90DA-3A5EA832C6D3.jpeg

Hang tight up there, Brenda! Lots of migratory birds & geese this week! 

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I would love to do that one! For a moment I thought this was something new I hadn’t heard of. I thought ‘Wow, those people are intrepid!’ 😉

Lol, not quite *that* intrepid!  

Yes it does look good doesn't it?  Our PCC sent it to us as a suggestion last month....of course we didn't need long to think it over 😉 

• Like 6

56 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Haven’t seen a polar bear in the wild, but our St Louis Zoo has Kali.  He was rescued in Point Lay, Alaska when a native hunter killed his mother, not realizing she had a cub. Kali went zoo to zoo from Anchorage to Boston to New York and finally to St Louis. FedEx brought him to St Louis for free as their donation.

I will now spend the day picturing a FedEx driver calmly standing at the door with a clipboard in one hand and a polar bear on a leash in the other and a faintly bored expression.
Thank you for that!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 10
  • Haha 10

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

@Sharon in AZ Congrats on getting an appointment and hopefully your DH too.

Unfortunately I wasn’t able to schedule his, no appointments left. I’ll have to keep checking because I’m not really sure how they open up appointments. It looked like just one week at a time but it could have been two weeks at a time. 

Edited by Sharon in AZ
  • Like 9

Happy to say the appliance curse will not be visiting us.  The squirrel we had earlier in the week feasted on the insulation and wires under our dishwasher before the exterminator was able to coax it out the back door. The repairman came yesterday and was able to save the dishwasher we bought 7/8/1993 from Montgomery Wards. I still have the receipt!

• Like 20

Thank you Rich, Roy, and the drinks and recipe ladies. 

Love watching polar bears on TV.  Will find a good bottle of wine to open tonight.  Love Senate bean soup as does DH so maybe I'll toss that in the Instant Pot.  I agree the the YUCK on the drink.  The wine is a very definite splurge, maybe something they might pour at one of the fancy wine dinners at the Pinnacle.

Nice dry walk this am around the golf course but if you get off the path it is very soggy. 

Prayers to those on the care list and all who need them.  Best wishes to everyone else.

• Like 14

12 minutes ago, Suslor said:

Happy to say the appliance curse will not be visiting us.  The squirrel we had earlier in the week feasted on the insulation and wires under our dishwasher before the exterminator was able to coax it out the back door. The repairman came yesterday and was able to save the dishwasher we bought 7/8/1993 from Montgomery Wards. I still have the receipt!

Ah, for the days of well made appliances that lasted and could be fixed when necessary. I had a Kenmore clothes dryer from the 70’s and when the lint filter broke in 2000, I was able to buy a replacement online for $25 plus shipping. (I still had the original manual with a list of parts and numbers). Very impressive. I think Kenmore is no more.

St Louis Sal

• Like 10

1 hour ago, JazzyV said:

I'm glad your furnace was fixed. I hear you on a weekday; one time mine went out on Christmas Eve, another time on Thanksgiving (and I waited until the next day to avoid the holiday cost).

A few years ago after visiting family for a few days, we returned home on New Year's Eve to discover the temp in the house was a chilly 9C (a brisk 48F).  By that time, all the places had shut down for the evening so everyone could get started on their festivities, but we put a call in to the HVAC company we had previously used and left a message.  Someone from there checked the answering machine around 10PM, told us to plug in whatever electric heaters we had (we had several going, as well as our 2 gas fireplaces), and someone would be there in the morning.  We couldn't believe it - at 8:30 on New Year's morning, this wonderful soul showed up at our house, did the repairs and was gone within an hour.  And they didn't gouge us on price, either. 

On another note, I just received a couple of emails from 2 different uncles saying that they were getting their Covid jabs today.  One of them had to drive about an hour away, but was more than happy to do so, just to be able to get it.  What a relief, as they're both in their late 80's, and still live in their own homes. 

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22

My father who is 90 an living in his own home is registered for the Covid vaccine. He should have an appointment next week. I was so surprised when he said he would get the vaccine because he never takes the annual flu vaccine. Things are starting to pick up in Ontario.

On a totally  different  topic, my snow drops are out.. spring is working hard to make an appearance.

19BFBE3D-46A6-4BDB-88F6-AA2F21ACB264.jpeg

• Like 24

2 hours ago, Suslor said:

Oh, happy day!   I'm hoping this breaks the appliance curse and none of us will have any more difficulties.   

• Like 10

Well, it was quite the challenge today to find a good hiking trail.  We decided that we didn't want to go on a gravel or dirt trail because it has been raining up till about 9:00 am.  We didn't think we wanted to slog through the mud.  So, we figured we'd stick to the Hike and Bike trail as that is asphalt.  Well, that began to make slogging through mud look good.  We didn't even get out of the car at the first place because we could see that it was all ice in both directions.  So, we went to another portion that is more out in the open, thinking the snow and ice would be melted by now.  No such luck.  We didn't get very far in the first direction before we hit the ice field.  You couldn't even walk on the side as that was all ice as well.  So, we reversed directions and got a little further before we hit the ice again, this time on a steep uphill portion.  

But, we did get in a mile and a half, got some fresh air and the sun came out towards the end.  Then, we went to our favorite place for a lovely lunch where we were the only patrons in the place.  

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_1005.jpg

IMG_1008.jpg

• Like 22

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

Before I start on my wine pontification, I have to say that Ham & Bean Stew sounds pretty darned good to me, and the pic posted by @dfish seals the deal;

.

Chateau d'Yquem!   YOWZERS!!!!!!!

Even us California wine bigots acknowledge the liquid gold magnificence of d'Yquem.

Let's see.  It's Open a Bottle Night, and the Vin du Jour is Yuckum.  

2093751916_IMG_6775(1).thumb.jpg.c733fc8e7226e6f1aa065389be1f066b.jpg

Probably won't happen tonight.  Maybe after the pandemic when we can share with friends.

Amplifying @cat shepard's usual excellent report, one reason why she found excellent ratings for  every vintage year is because the Chateau does not release a wine for any year that does not meet their high standards.  For example, if you are ever offered a bottle of the 2012 Ch. d'Yquem, run away.  It's a fraud.  Ch. d'Yquem did not release a 2012 wine,

I will also add that Total Wine has a few vintages of d'Yquem for less than $400 (admittedly, not much less than $400), but, also, they have half-bottles (375ml) of multiple vintages in the $200 range.

Here is one of my favorite pairings for a dessert wine such as this.  It's so easy that even a guy can do it;

Split a pear (any variety you like) in half, lengthwise.  (If you want to peal the skin off, before halving, that's fine.  Up to you.)  Scrape out the core of both the halves.  Lay each of the halves in a saucer or shallow bowl with the hollowed out core facing up.  Fill the hollow with blue-veined cheese.  Feel free to pick the cheese that you prefer--Bleu, Gorgonzola, Roquefort, Stilton.  I, personally, have no preference, but some people do.

That;s it

Now, if you want to get fancy-schmancy you can poach the pear halves beforehand. let them cool and serve with the poaching liquid poured over.  Pretty decadent.

Wow.. 2 wine reviews on one thread.. I personally like Ann's plain and simple review.. too much more information puts my head into a spin! 🤪 

Don't forget sister's... tonight's the night to pop our corks! 

Xx, Joy

• Like 8

7 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.jpeg.e7ebc6d08c71e7ea584085c9fc899fad.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ALL!!

We got inspired from my sister Ann’s sunrise picture! We are heading out to go Kayaking in La Jolla. Hope all have a great day! To Roy, Rich,🌺 my sisters, Jacqui , Summer, Sharon, Debbie and to all here on CC you guys know how I feel about all of you! 🌺FAMILY!!

ICK on the drink big time! Dinner suggestion is it pork and beans? Not a fan! Not a dessert wine person either!

Oh well! 
🌺Did this sketch yesterday of the nest! Hard to take pictures because of how close my palms are to the window.

Denise😊

Wonderful sketch, Denise, and can't tell you how much I've enjoyed the photos of your nest.

We have so many hummingbirds in our yard all year round, and I've never been able to find where they go to sleep at night.  I've suspected they are up in our palms, but have never seen a nest from our upper balcony.  And I look hard!  They're like little elves -- just come and go like magic.  Thank you sharing your bit of magic there.  😊

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Wow.. 2 wine reviews on one thread.. I personally like Ann's plain and simple review.. too much more information puts my head into a spin! 🤪 

Xx, Joy

I agree that she does a terrific and succint job.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Xx, Joy

15 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I agree that she does a terrific and succint job.  

Yes she does a great job!  But why discourage more?  I for one like to see both. 

• Like 11

Kind of late in the day for some of the dailyites, but just 4 in the afternoon here.  Haven't had a haircut for about 6 months, so today I went to the Submarine Base Bangor to get one.  Had to wait about 20 minutes, so they gave me a beeper and encouraged me to do some shopping first.  I knew I was out of rum, so bought a bottle of Puerto Rican while waiting.  Felt good to get rid of 6 months of excess hair.  After I got home, thought I might invent a simple drink to take the place of today's suggestion.  Costco sells an excellent organic guava juice.  Fill a highball glass one third with ice, then add a shot of the juice and rum.  You can call if what you like, but it is healthy and satisfying.

Concerning pesticides.  A problem with their use is that the bad effects on the user often take years to become obvious.  I spent some time in Vietnam in 1970 and 1972.  A couple of years ago after an annual physical, I found that I had leukemia.  The VA said it was most likely caused by Agent Orange, a defoliant widely used in Vietnam at that time.  It is not a big deal, as I see my oncologist only once a year and he tells me that I most likely will end up dying of something else.  The good news is that the VA says that I am 100% disabled, and they are willing to compensate me for that.

Ray

• Like 19

5 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Oops, I posted the wrong date.  July 2022 to the Arctic Circle (Midnight Sun & Northern Capitals) -- and it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but would be wonderful!

This is the only polar bear we saw on our Midnight Sun cruise (in Hammerfest)

P1040812.thumb.JPG.12a815a7de3272b1f52669a3b4d10abc.JPG

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good evening, hope everyone had a great day. 
Just finished dinner of chicken corn soup from Strasburg fc . We went yesterday morning to pick up when they opened, glad we did because they sold out today in 30 minutes. 
@rafinmd, I know you will appreciate how much work is involved. According to their fb page they sold 360 gallons of soup, 1000 sub sandwiches and for the chicken bbq today 80 cases (3000 pieces)of chicken.

The fc normally has what in Lancaster county they call a mud sale, it’s like a giant yard sale, which of course was cancelled. The food sale was beyond all expectations.

Good night all

• Like 14

Thanks for all the daily information.

@richwmn great quote.

@rafinmdlike your alternate menu.

@ger_77 so pleased that your furnace is repaired.

@Sharon in AZ enjoy the Kim Crawford  Sauvignon Blanc, time for me to again buy some.

Our day began foggy, but it's lifted can see the Pacific Ocean again.

As there have been some new Community cases of Covid-19 diagnosed in South Auckland, Auckland is back in Alert Level 3, the rest of the country in Alert Level 2.

Keep well and stay safe everyone.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1