The Daily for Saturday Feb 27, 2021

richwmn

image.jpeg.e7ebc6d08c71e7ea584085c9fc899fad.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ALL!!

We got inspired from my sister Ann’s sunrise picture! We are heading out to go Kayaking in La Jolla. Hope all have a great day! To Roy, Rich,🌺 my sisters, Jacqui , Summer, Sharon, Debbie and to all here on CC you guys know how I feel about all of you! 🌺FAMILY!!

ICK on the drink big time! Dinner suggestion is it pork and beans? Not a fan! Not a dessert wine person either!

Oh well! 
🌺Did this sketch yesterday of the nest! Hard to take pictures because of how close my palms are to the window.

Denise😊

• Like 22

35 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

image.jpeg.e7ebc6d08c71e7ea584085c9fc899fad.jpeg

🌺🌺🌺

GOOD MORNING ALL!!

We got inspired from my sister Ann’s sunrise picture! We are heading out to go Kayaking in La Jolla. Hope all have a great day! To Roy, Rich,🌺 my sisters, Jacqui , Summer, Sharon, Debbie and to all here on CC you guys know how I feel about all of you! 🌺FAMILY!!

ICK on the drink big time! Dinner suggestion is it pork and beans? Not a fan! Not a dessert wine person either!

Oh well! 
🌺Did this sketch yesterday of the nest! Hard to take pictures because of how close my palms are to the window.

Denise😊

Hope you & David have a great “cruise”!

• Like 5

I would stay far away from the recommended drink.  Organic gardeners make a pesticide similar to the tobacco syrup, without the sugar.  I remember using on our farm a highly toxic pesticide called "Black Leaf 40" made from tobacco leaves and sulfur that was so toxic that it would burn your skin and is now banned.  And what is Bonal Gentiane-Quine?

Ray

• Like 12

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Today's sunrise is from my 2016 Crystal Symphony Antarctica cruise that started with a pair of Cunard transatlantics.  As February 17 started we were approaching the Miraflores locks on the Panama Canal:

dawn0227.jpg

Roy

Roy:  You have been quite a traveler!

• Like 7

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Thank you Rich and Roy!  Interesting group of days, will open a bottle of wine tonight.  The quote is so true for me.  The meal sounds and looks good.

Prayers and virtual hugs for both of our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and wear your mask.

Mohawk cocktail:

It may be illegal to smoke in bars these days, but you can put the nicotine back in your beverage with this tobacco syrup-laced libation.

For The Mohawk:
¾ ounces tobacco syrup (see recipe below)
2½ ounces Rye Whiskey
½ ounces Bonal Gentiane-Quina
Dash of Decanter bitters
Lemon twist, for garnish

For Tobacco syrup:
Dried whole leaf tobacco
2 cups water
2 cups granulated sugar

To make tobacco syrup: Bring cold water to a boil in a saucepan, add sugar, then lower heat. Next, add dried tobacco leaf and stir constantly until sugar dissolves completely. Test if sugar is completely dissolved by using a metal spoon to scoop up a small bit of syrup. Tilt it over the pan and watch carefully. There should be no crystals in the liquid. Let syrup cool to room temperature. Pour into a clean glass jar and refrigerate.

To make The Mohawk: Combine all ingredients in cocktail shaker. Stir with ice and strain into a martini glass. Garnish with lemon twist.

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 7.20.34 AM.png

I gave up tobacco almost 29 years ago.  I guess I pass on the Mohawk.

• Like 8

Good morning all!

Love polar bears, but have only seen them in zoos. Hopefully I'll  see some on our January 2023 cruise. Every day is a no-brainer day for me I'm afraid! 😅 and I'll be opening a new bottle of wine tonight.  Will pass on the meal and another "ewww" about that drink! 

Here's an adorable video of a polar bear enjoying the snow we had in the PNW a few weeks ago.

https://www.cnn.com/videos/travel/2021/02/16/snow-play-zoo-animals-winter-storm-eg-orig.cnn

• Like 16

Good morning, all, and thank you to Rich and Roy and the drinks and recipe ladies!  My mother loved sauterne, I do like a sweet wine instead of dessert.  That's usually what I do in the Pinnacle.  But that cocktail sounds dreadful!

1a515b9c.jpg.803883d1f0d577aa1d10140a1156e395.jpg

• Like 18
  • Haha 6

Rich:  Thank you for the DAILY fleet report.  I am beginning to wonder if I will ever cruise again.  i do not plan to  get in the so called vaccine line.  Thanks to Rich, Roy,Summer Slope, Kazu and all who continue as DAILYITES to make this thread  such a joy to read each day.  Each of you do so much to make the "pause" bearable if not enjoyable.

• Like 9

Happy Saturday morning and Thank You for the Daily!😎

Good memories from the 14 day r/t  cruise on the Rotterdam to Norway. One fun experience was visiting the exhibition at The Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society in the town of Hammerfest. The polar bear is the town's mascot! 

🙏 Prayers to all who are in need. I sure plan on making it a relaxing day! 😄

1bfbacaf-98e1-485c-875a-c0cb85a54b01.jpeg

• Like 19

37 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

I would stay far away from the recommended drink.  Organic gardeners make a pesticide similar to the tobacco syrup, without the sugar.  I remember using on our farm a highly toxic pesticide called "Black Leaf 40" made from tobacco leaves and sulfur that was so toxic that it would burn your skin and is now banned.  And what is Bonal Gentiane-Quine?

Ray

Ray my husband says he used MH30. His dad would mix the solution with his arm in a 5 gallon bucket. His dad has been long gone from using all the sprays and powders and poisons from the farm..

Google:

Bonal Gentiane Quina is an aperitif that has things in common with both amari and sweet vermouth. It is an infusion of herbs like gentian and chinchona bark (also called quina, the source of quinine) in a fortified wine base that was first made in 1865.

Bonal is 32 proof, reddish brown in color, and moderately sweet. It smells and tastes strongly of red fruits like plums and cherries, but also herbs and licorice. The palate has a medium bodied texture, and has both the herbal bitterness of gentian and the chalky bitterness of chinchona intermixed with honey, plums and herbal flavors. 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all!  Agree about that drink, ick,  but would like a sip of that wine!  
We’ve had more snow, seems like again and again, but maybe if March comes in like a lion.....

The birds seem more active so hopefully spring is coming!  

46CDACA7-17E2-40C3-A048-3F5ECDF74A3D.jpeg

AB61E0AD-B871-4823-90DA-3A5EA832C6D3.jpeg

• Like 20

Good morning, all! I have yet to see a polar bear in the wild - that’s still a bucket list item. But in the end, it’s a No Brainer that you had me at Open That Bottle Night. Now I have the day to choose a bottle worthy of the title! DH has a craving for Shepherds Pie, but Blueberry Cobbler is for desert, so I hit at least one of today’s suggestions.

This morning was frosty, but not too bad. Yesterday’s winds cancelled the ferries to Vancouver Island on all three routes for the entire day, which is unusual. Our cottage on Saltspring never lost power during the storm. Under the circumstances, that’s also unusual, but a good thing!

Just for fun, here’s a shot of the crew hoisting the last tender aboard as we prepare to leave Rarotonga. Given the swells, they had quite a time of it, but got the job done! Usually we miss this show in favour of a hot shower and a cold drink.

E7B133E0-E63F-40A1-A075-5E7C82B258B0.thumb.jpeg.67694a6326cb209925be3677cf7a3434.jpeg

Enjoy the weekend, and Happy Saturday, courtesy of our fondly remembered Amsterdam!

B7D9B4C5-89FF-42E7-ACF5-2058D5A9E2C2.thumb.jpeg.6a13c5e774ac692f094aaafdffcbf722.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 19

Happy last Saturday of February everyone!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. I’ve only seen Polar Bears at the zoo and on videos. I had DH buy Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc at Costco Thursday so we might open that bottle today and have mussels.  Mom and I had Kim Crawford Sauvignon Blanc at Outback a few weeks ago and she said that she sure missed a good glass of wine so we bought her a bottle also. 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion. I like my own version of bean soup with either ham or sausage. I either use dry pinto beans or a bag mixed bean soup which is about 10 different types of beans and lentils and split peas. 

I just made my appointments for the vaccine, March 4th and April 1st. It was easier than I thought it would be but I did have to go back a few times and select a new appointment time. Best part is that it’s fairly close, about 10-15 minutes away. I’m going to make DH appointments right now too. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

Love polar bears, but have only seen them in zoos. Hopefully I'll  see some on our January 2023 cruise.

I’m curious what cruise you’re on in January that visits subarctic regions. Is it Scandinavian? I’m also still hoping to see a polar bear in the wild!

• Like 6

This is from my 2016 Northwest Passage on the Crystal Serenity.  Sorry it's so grainy but it was extreme telephoto and the bear had just captured a seal.  We watched the scene for about 15 minutes.  I also saw bears in the 1990's in Churchill (and got very close in the Tundra Buggies) but no longer can find any photos.

feasting.jpg

Roy

• Like 19

Good morning.  Will celebrate polar bears any day.  The closest we got to one was at the Houston zoo,  It was a hot day, and he was playing with a plastic barrel in his pool.  In 2016 on the Prinsendam, Captain Tim Roberts took us on an unscheduled scenic cruise in a fjord where we say a big male by himself and a little later a mother and her two cubs.  They were all foraging on land.  I just checked my pictures, and the bears were so far away that the zoom made the pictures pretty fuzzy.

We'll pass on the meal suggestions since I'd planned a Italian sausage penne pasta bake.  I also made a key lime pie for dessert.  Since we opened the cardboardeauxs the last two nights, we'll settle for opening the spigots on the boxes. 🍷  Our only bottles are a Riesling, and that just does not sound right with a pasta dish.  As far as the drink of the day -- YUCK!  😱

@ger_77  Glad you got your furnace fixed before it got too cold in the house.

@DeeniEncinitas Really like the drawing of the nest.  I looked again yesterday and could not find a nest in our two trees.  

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon to all the cheery posters, hosts, list-keepers, drink and recipe ladies.  We had our second shots this morning, and I'm feeling such a sigh of relief.  We will not change anything we have been doing, but I still feel relieved.

Thanks for all the pictures, cartoons, tidbits of information and wisdom and for the overall grounded feeling I have from checking in every day.

Cindy

• Like 17

36 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I’m curious what cruise you’re on in January that visits subarctic regions. Is it Scandinavian? I’m also still hoping to see a polar bear in the wild!

Oops, I posted the wrong date.  July 2022 to the Arctic Circle (Midnight Sun & Northern Capitals) -- and it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but would be wonderful!

• Like 9

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Good days, especially Open that Bottle Night as I can finally have a glass of something after 48 hours off my antibiotic! I have only seen polar bears in the zoo.

I'll pass on the recipe.

It rained this morning and temps are up to 50°F.

@smitty34877 How exciting to be planning that family trip!

@ger_77 I'm glad your furnace was fixed. I hear you on a weekday; one time mine went out on Christmas Eve, another time on Thanksgiving (and I waited until the next day to avoid the holiday cost).

@Sharon in AZ Congrats on getting an appointment and hopefully your DH too.

@TheKingD Congrats on your shots.

Prayers for the Care list and Cheers for the Celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask(s).

• Like 16

Hello Rich and Roy, Ladies and gentlemen!

As it is evening here, I already have complied with #3 and have opened a bottle of Rioja Reserva.  It goes very nicely with our Cantonese take out.

The closest I ever got to a Polar bear was in Honningsvag during a 14 nighter to North Cape on Rotterdam VI. 

20170604_113124.jpg

• Like 19
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Cruising-along said:

Oops, I posted the wrong date.  July 2022 to the Arctic Circle (Midnight Sun & Northern Capitals) -- and it's probably just wishful thinking on my part, but would be wonderful!

I would love to do that one! For a moment I thought this was something new I hadn’t heard of. I thought ‘Wow, those people are intrepid!’ 😉

• Like 4
  • Haha 2