Is Perry Grant still on Celebrity?

sjde

10 hours ago, retired dude said:

we used to contact the cruise lines before we booked to make sure that he was not on those sailings..His whole act was repulsive......saw him once and that was plenty...

I felt that he was insulting. I didn’t like him or his groupies.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Redtravel said:

Never saw him, but since this thread, I have checked out his website, seems quite impressed with himself.

I only ever attended one show in which Mr Grant was the performer.  I needed to leave mid show, even though I was at the back, he noted this and I found his comments insulting to guests.  His ego was far too big for his own good and his groupies behaviour did not help.  He had moderate talent and could have been a reasonable entertainer if he had taken his act down a different path.  

13 hours ago, Redtravel said:

Perry was in a small venue= so if you didn't enjoy his show- don't go.  Surely not a valid reason to not sail on a ship.  I dislike the acrobatic type performances- they are repetitive and typically if part of a show, just walk out.  But I do enjoy other performances.  

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 6:44 PM, ECCruise said:

Perry was a big thing on =X= for years.  He brought a lot of people back to sailing with them.  I know people who sailed itineraries simply because it was a "Perry Cruise."

Have no idea why he and Celebrity parted ways.

Love Perry, but he doesn't fit with Celebrity New Modern  philosophy. Too bad.

Just now, ISABELLA said:

Love Perry, but he doesn't fit with Celebrity New Modern  philosophy. Too bad.

Never saw him but like everything on here, many mixed +/- reviews/opinions...

On 2/27/2021 at 9:24 PM, TeaBag said:

No, he hasn't been on Celebrity for years.

Saw him last on a Royal Princess cruise on a Jan. 2018.  In March 2019 he worked with Royal Caribbean (according to his entry on Facebk) He currently has moved from where he was living and going elsewhere.

Edited by silviaeaston
tweeking what I said...

We only saw Perry Grant once on Constellation back in 2010. His music is old and we were younger than most of the others in the room (31 & 41 at the time) but still enjoyed the songs and humour.

His comments to people leaving the room are just part of the act and people shouldn't take it personally or the wrong way. I've seen other performers (a comedian) who had exactly the same routine when someone walked into the room after the show had started or when they got up to go to the bathroom.  Everyone in the room laughs and you just have to laugh along with them. 

I really don't understand how anyone can think his show was repulsive or insulting. Watching some of his more recent videos on You Tube on RCCL and P&O (British cruise line) he really attracts a big audience.

• Like 2

Off topic, but every time I see this post I think Cary Grant.  

After reading the thread, some of y'all need to lighten up.  IMHO.  

Sail on.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1

Just now, simon stingray said:

We only saw Perry Grant once on Constellation back in 2010. His music is old and we were younger than most of the others in the room (31 & 41 at the time) but still enjoyed the songs and humour.

His comments to people leaving the room are just part of the act and people shouldn't take it personally or the wrong way. I've seen other performers (a comedian) who had exactly the same routine when someone walked into the room after the show had started or when they got up to go to the bathroom.  Everyone in the room laughs and you just have to laugh along with them. 

I really don't understand how anyone can think his show was repulsive or insulting. Watching some of his more recent videos on You Tube on RCCL and P&O (British cruise line) he really attracts a big audience.

I can only assume they never saw George Carlin live, OMG when someone left, just wow, but it was hysterical

• Like 1

Some of the discomfort with Perry Grant's show can be attributed to the obvious Gay delivery and humor in the vein of Liberace and Peter Allen. The show has definite roots to the Gay Piano Bars from Manhattan's Greenwich Village such as Don't Tell Mama, Duplex, Rose's Turn Piano Bar among many others. 

https://www.statesman.com/LIFESTYLE/20180823/Where-life-is-still-a-cabaret-in-Manhattan

Edited by kwokpot
  • Like 1

We love Perry and book cruises specifically to see him.  We laugh our heads off in his lounge and don't mind being insulted in the least.  He is the butt of most of his jokes. He is also an amazing pianist and I love the songs he performs. We know if Perry is on the ship we'll have a great time at night.  We booked our last cruise on the Serenade of the Seas because of him.  We booked a Royal Princess cruise because he was on the ship. 

i believe that he'll be back on a Royal Caribbean ship when we can get back to cruising and although I prefer everything else about Celebrity, we will be sailing on RCI to see him again.

I don't understand the need to post insults about Perry and his fans

25 minutes ago, kwokpot said:

Some of the discomfort with Perry Grant's show can be attributed to the obvious Gay delivery and humor in the vein of Liberace and Peter Allen. The show has definite roots to the Gay Piano Bars from Manhattan's Greenwich Village such as Don't Tell Mama, Duplex, Rose's Turn Piano Bar among many others. 

https://www.statesman.com/LIFESTYLE/20180823/Where-life-is-still-a-cabaret-in-Manhattan

just curious, what is "obvious gay delivery"?

6 minutes ago, barbels said:

we will be sailing on RCI to see him again. I don't understand the need to post insults about Perry and his fans

There are very mixed opinions about this performer, and stating negative opinions is not the same as posting insults. You clearly fall into the "groupie" category, as would anyone booking a cruise just to see him, and that's great. I hope that you continue to enjoy his shows

2 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

just curious, what is "obvious gay delivery"?

Perry's whole show is delivered from a Gay Man's point of view. My husband and I have seen his act several times and everything from the music choices, to jokes (Who in the audience has the Limited Collector's Edition DVD of The Wizard of Oz?) and other topics of reference are from a Gay Man's point of view. There's no malice in my statement. Just a statement of fact.

We saw him once and it was a show we didn’t care for.  If X announced their entertainers in advance we would avoid booking  because he isn’t just a 1 night show, he would be on for multiple days. Everyone had their favorites and we lean more to the Tenors of Rock, who moved on to LV.

Edited by jelayne

7 minutes ago, jelayne said:

We saw him once and it was a show we didn’t care for.  If X announced their entertainers in advance we would avoid booking  because he isn’t just a 1 night show, he would be on for multiple days. Everyone had their favorites and we lean more to the Tenors of Rock, who moved on to LV.

Never heard of him until this post, being an on board show would def not influence my decision to book on that specific ship though.  Have looked at his website and on-line stuff about him.  Clearly he is an entertainer with a following, of sorts.  Has lots of photos with 1950's & 1960's celebrities with autographed pictures of him with them.  His website is kind of humorous though, you'd think he was selling out Carnegie Hall, but I suppose good on him for marketing himself after he was apparently let go by Celebrity/RCL.

I met Perry on numberous cruises with X. I always liked his shows. Hilarious. He has a huge fan club. Michaels Club was filled to the brim every night he entertained there- also the Theater when he gave one or two shows during a Transatlantic.

He has a few running gags which he used almost every evening. " Could you turn on this little ball" or

" Oh I am going through the Change - again"! So such things- and very very gay- whatever meaning you might give to the word. LOL.

20 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I met Perry on numberous cruises with X. I always liked his shows. Hilarious. He has a huge fan club. Michaels Club was filled to the brim every night he entertained there- also the Theater when he gave one or two shows during a Transatlantic.

He has a few running gags which he used almost every evening. " Could you turn on this little ball" or

" Oh I am going through the Change - again"! So such things- and very very gay- whatever meaning you might give to the word. LOL.

so there is gay, and "very very gay",??? oh my, I wonder if I fall into the just gay category or the very very! Is there straight and very very straight, male and very very male, female and very very female etc?!...FYI there is only one meaning to the word, it is NOT LOL at all in any way shape or form.

Edited by LGW59
  • Like 1