Should Celebrity Replace Current Offerings with Targeted Cruises?

gcorgain

RCCL is replacing Rome sailings with cruises to the Greek Isles from Israel (limited to Israeli citizens only I believe). They have a similar offering in Singapore. Princess just canceled Southhampton sailings this summer and are replacing some dates with similar UK cruises. My question is should Celebrity follow suit with more localized offerings? 

Some ideas: California Coastal and Mexican Riviera options from the US to replace one way Alaska cruises, localized European cruises, etc. Thoughts?

First they have to be able to sail from the US for the West Coast & MR options to occur. They have the MR for late 2022 and have done the PC regularly, so I's sure they have considered adding some of these when cruising restarts.  

They have always said a restart would be gradual. If they locate an entry point where they can safely sail, find a port stop, get a ship manned and have healthy passengers, they will jump on it. I think any itinerary at all through next year has a strong chance of seeing substantial changes. 

9 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

They have always said a restart would be gradual. If they locate an entry point where they can safely sail, find a port stop, get a ship manned and have healthy passengers, they will jump on it. I think any itinerary at all through next year has a strong chance of seeing substantial changes. 

By next year do you mean all of 2022?  and by 'any' do you mean Caribbean and Europe, etc?

• Like 1

Would it be fair to equate "test cruises" with targeted cruises?

If cruising began today it would be somewhere between difficult to impossible, depending on the country of residence, for non US residents to sail from a US port.

When and how changes will happen are as said before impossible to predict.

To me “test” cruises are the non revenue cruises that are required before the ship can sail from the US carrying paid passengers.  “Targeted” cruises are those where the passengers are from a specific area ( Germany, US, Italy) and the ship is sailing only to ports in that country or ports where those passengers are allowed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, gcorgain said:

Princess just canceled Southhampton sailings this summer and are replacing some dates with similar UK cruises. My question is should Celebrity follow suit with more localized offerings? 

P&O UK also announced cancellations on 5 of their ships, to be replaced with Coastal cruises from Southampton. To me, that means no ports. Guernsey announced on the same day that they wouldn’t be accepting cruise ships in 2021. Guernsey as a tender port, was often the first port of call for Round Britain cruises.

Celebrity sail from Southampton;  at the moment their TA has been cancelled, but sailings to the Baltic and Mediterranean have not, as they take place after April 30th.

Will CelebrityCruises sail Silhouette over empty, just to do cruises to nowhere?

456DB2B2-7D9E-44A7-854C-8B170241C5FB.jpeg

1 hour ago, upwarduk said:

Celebrity sail from Southampton;  at the moment their TA has been cancelled, but sailings to the Baltic and Mediterranean have not, as they take place after April 30th.

Will CelebrityCruises sail Silhouette over empty, just to do cruises to nowhere?

Good question! Am considering transferring my September Reflection cruise to the Silhouette although I have no desire for multiple sea days. Not fancying flying though.

About to walk with the dog down to Southampton Water to see what luckless ship is docked there today to resupply.

13 hours ago, Oceangoer2 said:

By next year do you mean all of 2022?  and by 'any' do you mean Caribbean and Europe, etc?

If numbers continue to improve and aren’t derailed by prematurely reduced restrictions, vaccines continue to show promise, etc. I think any cruise at all through early to mid 2022 is subject to change as countries and ports establish their own guidelines for entry. 

I know everyone has ‘their’ cruise booked in ‘their’ cabin, but realistically when the time comes, I think most people are going to have to be content with getting on a ship at all. Getting hung up over itinerary changes, port changes and ship changes will be the name of the game for a while. 

This sounds very fluid.  For me, booking a European cruise involves flights, hotels, before and after personal plans all of which would be affected if the ship and start date are changed (which has already happened to some of us).  In this scenario it seems practical to book these last minute (higher expense or availability) to avoid cancellation/change costs.   I wouldn't be 'hung up' but not having an itinerary until last minute involves more than being flexible as to cabin/ship and will discourage many from even booking a cruise with confidence it will sail.  I was hopeful re our Nov. cruise and pretty much felt the June '22 was a safe bet, but now I'm keeping my fingers crossed on both future cruises.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Jeremiah1212 said:

I know everyone has ‘their’ cruise booked in ‘their’ cabin, but realistically when the time comes, I think most people are going to have to be content with getting on a ship at all. Getting hung up over itinerary changes, port changes and ship changes will be the name of the game for a while. 

Exactly!

It will take months and months before the first cruise will sail again with an itinerary as it was planned.
Before that the same will happen what happened with all the lines alredy sailing:
Original itineraries/sailings will be canceled - adapted, shortened and capacity reduced sailings will be offered wherever they are possible.

One of the cruise headlines in Europe/Germany today:

Aida cancel more sailings but extend the offer for the Canary Island cruises.

10 hours ago, hawkesbaynz said:

About to walk with the dog down to Southampton Water to see what luckless ship is docked there today to resupply.

It's great to live in a cruise ship port, isn't it? I'm in Fort Lauderdale and I drive with my dog over to Port Everglades about once a week to see ships in port for fuel/supplies. It's usually Celebrity or Princess but a couple of weeks ago it was Seabourn. 

We would not favor  "targeted cruises "  if that means they would cancel our Jan  2022 Reflection cruise,  esp if we would lose our great pricem cabin,  and itinerary.. ...This booking was was already a lift and shift from Connie.

We are tired of all the  past refund delay and X bobbling the ball along.  We would be annoyed if they drop us...

However, If they agree to refund  our large fcc in cash, then we would say okay..release us! 

21 minutes ago, hcat said:

We would not favor  "targeted cruises "  if that means they would cancel our Jan  2022 Reflection cruise,  esp if we would lose our great pricem cabin,  and itinerary.. ...This booking was was already a lift and shift from Connie.

We are tired of all the  past refund delay and X bobbling the ball along.  We would be annoyed if they drop us...

However, If they agree to refund  our large fcc in cash, then we would say okay..release us! 

Amen to that!!!  This reminds of an old song, When the Red Red Robin Comes Bob-Bob-Bobbin' Along