vaccine required?

delliemd

On 3/11/2021 at 7:37 PM, jangor said:

I, like many other cruisers, are sorry that you cannot get one of the COVID-19 vaccines.  But to be totally honest, until herd immunity has been firmly established, I hope that you will not be allowed on a cruise.  Please do not misunderstand.  I do want you to cruise again and enjoy everything that cruising has to offer, but not at the expense fo my own health.  Are any of the three vaccine strains less susceptible to allergic reactions?  The reality is that lots of people cannot travel for various health issues unrelated to Covid.  I sincerely hope that future research will enable you to join us,

I have had Covid ,I was not hospitalized.It was not as bad as the influenza A that I contracted on a cruise last Feb.2020.So it is possible you may not get covid but the flu.

6 minutes ago, delliemd said:

How can you be sure while you are off the ship you  won't be infected by someone? 

Well, if you have been vaccinated, you should be protected against infection  - after all, that is the whole point of being vaccinated!

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a person who is vaccinated against COVID-19 can still be infected with or “carry” the virus that causes COVID-19 while not feeling sick or having symptoms. Experts call this “asymptomatic infection.”Mar 5, 2021

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wowzz said:

Well, if you have been vaccinated, you should be protected against infection  - after all, that is the whole point of being vaccinated!

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), a person who is vaccinated against COVID-19 can still be infected with or “carry” the virus that causes COVID-19 while not feeling sick or having symptoms. Experts call this “asymptomatic infection.”Mar 5, 2021

• Like 1

2 hours ago, delliemd said:

That's not quite what the CDC said.  In essence, CDC said they don't know if people can still be infected or not.  More research into that issue is needed. 

"Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others. . . A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing." (Emphasis added by me)

Science Brief: Background Rationale and Evidence for Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People (cdc.gov)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Depending upon the vaccine up to 95% would be protected from symptomatic infection 

6 hours ago, Daniel A said:

That's not quite what the CDC said.  In essence, CDC said they don't know if people can still be infected or not.  More research into that issue is needed. 

"Vaccinated people could potentially still get COVID-19 and spread it to others. . . A growing body of evidence suggests that fully vaccinated people are less likely to have asymptomatic infection and potentially less likely to transmit SARS-CoV-2 to others. However, further investigation is ongoing." (Emphasis added by me)

Science Brief: Background Rationale and Evidence for Public Health Recommendations for Fully Vaccinated People (cdc.gov)

The Israeli study probably has the best info on this.  It concluded that Pfizer and Moderna vaccines also reduced asymptomatic infection by 94%, very similar to the reduction of symptomatic efficacy. They also concluded that it reduced mortality by 98%.

• Like 5

P&O announced this morning that proof of vaccination required for their initial UK coastal cruises starting this June. Perhaps that will not apply for the Princess Mediterranean cruises with the likes of Turkey and Greece not requiring vaccination proof to holiday?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Esprit said:

P&O announced this morning that proof of vaccination required for their initial UK coastal cruises starting this June. Perhaps that will not apply for the Princess Mediterranean cruises with the likes of Turkey and Greece not requiring vaccination proof to holiday?

Well, like every other guess on this web site.....time will tell.  I would rather see that all passengers and crew be vaccinated initially until there is a better handle on things.  Princess doesn't have to follow P&O just because they are part of the Corporation, but caution prevails.

We should have a better understanding closer to the end of the current pause in operations.  By that time decisions would have been made as to the protocols moving forward.  Our first voyage out of the pause is near the end of July on the CB for seven days, but we do have a B2B from Civitavecchia back to Florida in November and during those voyages we do get to both Turkey and Greece. 

29 minutes ago, Fat Albert said:

Everyone vaccinated can still get covid.The immunization is to allow your body to  build up a resistance level of protection from death. The vaccine will provide 98% chance of survival if you get covid. 

Not sure your number is very accurate.  The death rate in the USA without the vaccine stands at 1.8%, so I can't see your odds of death being the same (or a bit higher) after receiving the vaccination.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

To be honest, I couldn't give a monkeys on the efficacy of the vaccine. If the percentages fluctuate depending on what your read, then so what!

If the World Health Organisation recommends vaccination, and it saves lives, just get jabbed and adhere to the protocols that Princess or any other cruise line implements.

If that is so difficult then find another vacation outlet.

• Like 4

Delta Airlines CEO Ed Bastian said yesterday that he expects international travel is going to require use of a 'vaccine passport.'  He didn't give any ideas on the nature of the passports.  The International Air Transport Association has developed "Travel Pass" which would document a passenger's Covid-19 status but it will also need to be recognized by governments around the world.

The IATA initiated a two-week pilot trial of the digital travel pass on Singapore Airlines' Singapore-London route.  The carrier said it would offer travelers heading from the city-state to London between 15 March and 28 the chance to participate in the pilot

Edited by Daniel A

On 3/11/2021 at 6:37 PM, jangor said:

I, like many other cruisers, are sorry that you cannot get one of the COVID-19 vaccines.  But to be totally honest, until herd immunity has been firmly established, I hope that you will not be allowed on a cruise.  Please do not misunderstand.  I do want you to cruise again and enjoy everything that cruising has to offer, but not at the expense fo my own health.  Are any of the three vaccine strains less susceptible to allergic reactions?  The reality is that lots of people cannot travel for various health issues unrelated to Covid.  I sincerely hope that future research will enable you to join us,

Currently there are 3 categories  of vaccines, only 2 in the US though.  The 4 categories are whole virus, protein subunit, viral vector and nucleic acid.  Pfizer and Moderna are the 4th type.  As I said in another thread, the odds of anyone being allergic to all of those is basically the same as winning the lottery while being struck by lightning while getting a hole in one on a par 5 all at the same time.

And the US is nowhere near herd immunity.  That would require 70%-90% of the entire population to have either had the virus and/or vaccinated.

13 hours ago, USCcruisecrazy said:

I think most everyone on this page is in total agreement that we want to see all cruisers and all crew get the vaccine before anyone starts hitting the high seas once again.  

I do!!!  I want everyone, crew and passengers alike, to remain as healthy and as safe as possible!

• Like 1

From today's Washington Post (https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/vaccine-passports-europe-travel/2021/03/17/65d645d4-8672-11eb-be4a-24b89f616f2c_story.html).  "The European Union on Wednesday launched a closely watched effort to create a joint vaccination passport for its more than 440 million citizens and residents.""

I don't know if it is behind a paywall but here are some of the highlights of the article:

• supporters hope it will be available by June to help rescue the summer season
  • "passports" for vaccinated people will be digital or paper (not sure if it isn't determined yet or is a choice)
  • modeled in some ways on the Israeli passes with QR codes allowing access to gyms and restaurants
  • member states to determine conditions of use and if they will be mandatory
  • The German and French stalling has frustrated officials in many southern European countries. Greece, Cyprus and other nations recently announced plans to set up bilateral agreements unless an E.U.-wide solution can be found."
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, capriccio said:

• "passports" for vaccinated people will be digital or paper (not sure if it isn't determined yet or is a choice)

It is supposed to be both since not everyone has a digital device that could be used for this.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Esprit said:

P&O announced this morning that proof of vaccination required for their initial UK coastal cruises starting this June.

If I remember correctly, that is just for passengers. Crew does not have to be vaccinated.