How did you fare through all the cancelations?

Ombud

Last March I was supposed to be on the 3/22/20 Grand Princess B2B from SF plus had a deposit on Hong Kong -> Sydney (16 days). We all know what happened to 3/22/20. 1 cash back + 50%FCC. 1 @ 175%FCC. 1 canceled the 3rd as I didn't want to wait forever for refund. I've had 4 more canceled BUT no more $$s to them. Net result:

1. March 2020 B2B rebooked for 2 April 2022 cruises just owe $1275 (+ 300 OBC). Traded outside for mini-suites

2. Asia to Australia 2020 (16 days, minimum deposit) rebooked to Australia to Asia 2023 owing $276 (used 400FCC, no goodwill OBC, 18 days). Traded outside for balcony

3. Multiple redeployments led into 600 extra goodwill OBC (total 900) on a new 2022 TA. Still using 500 FCC from March 2020.

The FCC is finally fully reallocated but I still have a boatload of gift cards that I bought Feb 2020 to pay off initial Asia to Australia which more than covers Queensland + EZAIR 12/2021 (if outsiders can go .... just 100 goodwill OBC). Cha-ching! 🤑

Edited by Ombud

Ahhh! I'll have to admit that I've been lazy.

Canceled all my cruises back in April, except for Iceland August 2021. Didn't even bother to check the itineraries until December when Pfizer was approved.

No FCC bonuses, but I felt very comfortable last year.

Unfortunately, I've just cancel Iceland August because of the change in BC vax policy. Rebooked for June 2022. Disappointing, but I'm comfortable with the amount of money at risk.

Hope that EU will open up for my Mediterranean cruise this October. But, nothing is guaranteed! 😎

• Like 1

2 cruises cancelled by Princess - turned 1K paid into 2K FCC currently applied to 4/2022

2 cruises on Discovery changed to Regal - we went ahead and cancelled both - one deposit of $ 115 returned to card - one deposit of $ 2 applied to 4/2022

meh

• Like 1

Enchantment cruise paid in full turned into 125% FCC. Cruise that had $1 each deposit turned into $101 each FCC. Three subsequent cruises cancelled; Four more (1 B2B) on the books; vaccinated and ready to sail ❣️

2 hours ago, Ombud said:

What is the change? I hope to go there 4/22

No No! Don't worry about BC. The people here are great. One of the lowest mortality rates per capita in the western world. Not even a single full shutdown.

I'm referring to the decision by the government to delay the second dose for up to 4 months. Means that my second dose will be around July, but no later. Unfortunately, that leaves no wiggle room for my August cruise.

IMO, all the adults in Canada who want to vax will have at least one dose by August. 😎

You should be fine in 2022. I'm confident that USA will have covid under control in 2022. 🙂

• Thanks 2

I would love to go there 1 month after getting my vax (eligible now but waiting for J&J) but I'm not sure if that's possible but understand the desire to stay closed until XX% are vaccinated 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Ombud said:

Last March I was supposed to be on the 3/22/20 Grand Princess B2B from SF plus had a deposit on Hong Kong -> Sydney (16 days). We all know what happened to 3/22/20. 1 cash back + 50%FCC. 1 @ 175%FCC. 1 canceled the 3rd as I didn't want to wait forever for refund. I've had 4 more canceled BUT no more $$s to them. Net result:

1. March 2020 B2B rebooked for 2 April 2022 cruises just owe $1275 (+ 300 OBC). Traded outside for mini-suites

2. Asia to Australia 2020 (16 days, minimum deposit) rebooked to Australia to Asia 2023 owing $276 (used 400FCC, no goodwill OBC, 18 days). Traded outside for balcony

3. Multiple redeployments led into 600 extra goodwill OBC (total 900) on a new 2022 TA. Still using 500 FCC from March 2020.

The FCC is finally fully reallocated but I still have a boatload of gift cards that I bought Feb 2020 to pay off initial Asia to Australia which more than covers Queensland + EZAIR 12/2021 (if outsiders can go .... just 100 goodwill OBC). Cha-ching! 🤑

Had booked Oceania for this past Feb.(it cancelled) then transferred to Celebrity for a cruise that should have started on this past Sat. It cancelled, too. The Oceania refund was slow in coming, so we transferred it to next Jan. The Celebrity trip we just took the refund. Now our vacation consists of short 2 day stays at "grand hotels up in Northern New England. Will likely choose a Princess trip in 2023, Can't find any Club Class minisuites in 2022. If they reappear, we may rejuggle the Oceania trip. Love the food on that line, but really love the caring staff on Princess!

I had a March '20 Sky Princess booked and took the 225% FCC.  I had a December Caribbean cruise booked and took the double the deposit.  I cancelled my May cruise, so simply a return of deposit.  End result, about 3 cruises for the price of one.  If/When cruising resumes depending on your viewpoint 

Like many of you, my story is complicated...

First of all, I cruise on multiple cruise lines...and I tend to book some cruises over a year in advance (often more)...others I book about six months out--because I need to work them around other schedules--like my season football and basketball tickets--and those schedules often don't come out until later.

When all of this hit, I had just taken my last cruise prior--January 2020 on Royal Princess to the Mexican Riviera...and I had four future cruises booked--all on Celebrity:  Back-to-back cruises in July 2020 on Celebrity Infinity in the Mediterranean for 14 total nights...and back-to-back on Celebrity Millennium April-May 2021 Japan and Transpacific for a total of 29 nights at sea.  To complicate this even more, for those July cruises, we had 9 nights pre-cruise with hotels and rental car touring around Switzerland and the Cinque Terre--with some hotels and the rental car pre-paid...as well as two nights post-cruise in Rome booked...with flights LAX to Milan and Rome to LAX...airfare paid for through Celebrity...For the Japan trip, we had four nights hotel reserved pre-cruise in Tokyo and, upon disembarkation in Vancouver, we had a rental car booked to drive to Portland to visit our kids, then First Class air on Alaska Air PDX to LAX...ALL FOUR CRUISES WERE CANCELED!

We were able to "lift-and-shift" the two July cruises...actually doing somewhat better in one respect--Celebrity allowed us to move one of them to their brand new ship--the Apex.  However, the two new cruises are now not back-to-back, so we get off one ship and board the other two days later in Civitavecchia.  We were able to cancel all of our hotels and rental car and get our pre-paid ones credited.  We received refunds for our airfare--but the new airfare is over $300 pp higher.  We booked four nights in hotels in Barcelona pre-cruise for 2021...and after disembarking in Venice, a pre-paid rental car and hotels in Austria and Venice for 10 nights post-cruise.  Of course, now we are sweating out whether that one will actually happen...or going through all of this one more time.

Due to schedule conflicts, we were unable to replace both ends of the Japan/Transpacific, so now we just moved the one 14 night Japan cruise to March 2022... We are still waiting to replace the airfare--which we know will cost more because it's now both ways...and we only got a credit from Alaska Air for a future flight on the PDX-LAX leg.  We took a 125% FCC on the Transpacific leg.  The Japan leg deal will be a steal ((I expect to be back to normal by March 2022) because our original deal was incredible--14 night balcony for only $1000 pp (I just got lucky and caught an oddball short-lived price drop)...So that one just has to happen!!!

In the meanwhile, we have also booked a 7-night Mexican Riviera cruise for October 30, 2021 on Majestic Princess...and have a reservation for one night Park and Stay at the Crowne Plaza San Pedro pre-cruise...So, I really hope Princess is back to cruising by then...

All of my cruises seem to only be going up in price, so I am keeping any booking I can...and keeping my fingers crossed we will be able to go.  I have been fully vaccinated (second dose of Pfizer February 12) and my wife is due for dose two a week from Sunday...So, if the cruise lines and the ports/countries cooperate, we are ready to go!!!!  35 nights of cruising in the first "new year" of cruising...

(Deep breath)

Edited by Bruin Steve

I cancelled my cruises the day the Grand was brought into Oakland.  I think this was a few days before the pause in sailings. The Grand was big news here in Northern California as I think about 2/3 of the passengers were Californians.  

I had one cruise on the Grand and one on the Sky.  I had all my funds refunded before the pause in sailing was announced.  

Have a cruise booked on the Discovery in 2022, $100.00 deposit,  that’s it for now.  

We just booked a 7 day cruise followed after a few days by the TA on the Regal this October/November and a TA/Baltic on the Enchanted next April, which is almost identical to the first cruise we had cancelled last April. All booked using FCCs for the cruise fare. We usually try to book midship obstructed deluxe balconies on Royal class ships, but splurged a bit and booked premium deluxe balconies on these cruises.

58 minutes ago, Bruin Steve said:

the two new cruises are now not back-to-back, so we get off one ship and board the other two days later in Civitavecchia. 

2 days onshore in Italy (near Rome) sounds fantastic 👏 

7 minutes ago, billco said:

We usually try to book midship obstructed deluxe balconies on Royal class ships, but splurged a bit and booked premium deluxe balconies on these cruises.

Yes, I upgraded my staterooms too. It'll be hard if not impossible to go from solo balconies (mini-suites if not sailing solo) back to unobstructed outsides. I might never go back

On 3/11/2021 at 3:05 PM, jwattle said:

Enchantment cruise paid in full turned into 125% FCC. Cruise that had $1 each deposit turned into $101 each FCC. Three subsequent cruises cancelled; Four more (1 B2B) on the books; vaccinated and ready to sail ❣️

Hi Jo & Tom,
You forgot to mention none of your Cruises were canceled on The Rowboat 🚣🏼‍♂️ 😁

9E71174D-C8EF-4356-9AFB-D3C468BA3B55.jpeg

13 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

Hi Jo & Tom,
You forgot to mention none of your Cruises were canceled on The Rowboat 🚣🏼‍♂️ 😁

9E71174D-C8EF-4356-9AFB-D3C468BA3B55.jpeg

Oops! That's right!!! We did have three successful rowboat cruises with no COVID, where service was absolutely impeccable🍷

Bruin Steve:  we were on the Mexican Riviera cruise on Royal with you and Beth.  Who knew that would be the last cruise for a while.   We're vaccinated and ready to pack our bags and go whenever Princess is ready to sail.

Jan 

I'm a Ph.D. with studies in pandemics. Last Princess cruise returned to port 14Mar20, On the voyage Princess staff exercised all known reasonable precautions (despite ignorance of passengers of same).

We hope that 2022 bookings will materialize in safe voyages; but nothing before that year.  Unfortunately the cruise lines cannot prepare for the people deserving the Rex Tillerson "F_____g Moron" award when it comes to disease prevention.

Edited by TravlingGato
typo
  • Haha 1

We did pretty well, and had our deposits doubled on 4 cancelled sailings. With 5 more bookings between this July and October 2022, we spread out the FCCs leaving smaller balances on the 2021 bookings which we can always shift to the 2022 bookings if there are more cancellations this year.

I have my doubts about our July 3rd sailing on the Caribbean Princess, but have complete faith that we'll sail on the Majestic this November.

In the last 18 months we have cancelled 7 cruises which resulted in all kinds of credits, bonuses, cash, etc.

Alaska -- we only used a FCD of $100 pp for the cruise listed below.

No final payment made before we cancelled.

Cancelled Alaska Cruise Tour EB4 – 07/06/21

Royal Princess

Rebooked to July 2022

Balcony, Gov. Taxes, port taxes, insurance, transfers

1 specialty dinning pp

OBC $250

Includes $700 for two EZAir from DTW to ANC

$9483 for two persons

Rebooked Alaskan Cruise Tour EB4 – 07/19/2022

Majestic Princess

Deluxe Balcony, Gov. Taxes, port taxes, insurance, transfers

2 Specialty dinning pp

OBC $300

FCC bonus $100pp

Includes $700 for two EZAir from DTW to ANC

$9588 for two persons

Bottom line:  Costs $105 more

Upgraded stateroom to Deluxe Balcony

OBC increase of $50

2 Specialty dinning versus 1 pp

FCC bonus $100pp

Future:  We have a FCC of $100pp on a 2022  cruise – 10 day New England / Canada.

Looking at a Mexican cruise late 2022 which is not booked at this time.  Will use Goodwill Fccs.

John