Let the Exceptions Begin!

jtwind

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

What is a self-contained holiday?  It summons up visions of staying at home or what we refer to as a "stay-cation".  (And given that many of us have been doing that for the last year, not very appetizing....)

A self contained holiday or self catering is where you don't share common areas of the building with anyone else and do your own cooking etc, typically a holiday cottage or cabin or caravan but not a hotel

Edited by davecttr
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, davecttr said:

A self contained holiday or self catering is where you don't share common areas of the building with anyone else and do your own cooking etc, typically a holiday cottage or cabin or caravan but not a hotel

Thanks... yes, self catering is really what I meant. Our nearby farm has all kinds of camping arrangements, but cannot open sites unless  there's self contained showers, loos, etc, but they do have a number of static caravans with all facilities, so can open those. No to tents, shepherd's huts, glamping of any kind, or motor homes.

The sad thing is that last time we came out of lock down, the Lake District was overwhelmed with wild campers, including camper vans all along roads and laybys, and there were no toilet facilities around... that was an awful few weeks.

On 3/23/2021 at 3:18 PM, cruisemom42 said:

What is a self-contained holiday?  It summons up visions of staying at home or what we refer to as a "stay-cation".  (And given that many of us have been doing that for the last year, not very appetizing....)

We either got lucky or smart 20 years ago when,  after a flurry of cruising,  we took a few years off and built a swimming pool back yard stay-cation,  saying and thinking that we were done traveling.   Right.

My stay-cation dream has elements of the things I love about traveling and some of the things I love about life.  Our travels have influenced our stay-cation.  The backdrop for our 25 ft. rock-wall-water-slide is tropical palm trees and plant landscaping sculpted (by mua) over time to create the effigy of a pyramid.  When illuminated at night this is what it looks like.   

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

Why "no motor homes"?  They're certainly self-contained.

It depends on the toilet arrangements, as the disposal could be a problem on a site. If you can take your waste away with you, then that would be allowed, but some of the smaller ones need a daily facility.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 2:31 PM, Shmoo here said:

Why "no motor homes"?  They're certainly self-contained.

There is quite a difference between caravans/motor homes in UK and those in N/America. When I grew up in UK, our caravan was reasonably big at 16', but no toilet, or shower, just a sink. Also didn't have plumbing as we had to fill the kettle and sink from a water carrier. No waste tank storage either.

When we took my dad for a short trip in our 41' 5th wheel he was amazed.

On 3/24/2021 at 2:15 PM, jocap said:

or motor homes.

Why not motor homes? Ours is self-contained and it isn't even very big. But we have a bathroom including shower and several holding tanks.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

There is quite a difference between caravans/motor homes in UK and those in N/America. When I grew up in UK, our caravan was reasonably big at 16', but no toilet, or shower, just a sink. Also didn't have plumbing as we had to fill the kettle and sink from a water carrier. No waste tank storage either.

I should have finished reading 🙂 Ours is only 23' class A and we've been using it a number of times last year. Probably saved our sanity 🙂

1 hour ago, clo said:

I should have finished reading 🙂 Ours is only 23' class A and we've been using it a number of times last year. Probably saved our sanity 🙂

We haven't had ours out since last summer, as we still have recommendation not to travel unless essential. Due to our length, we really don't have any local places to go, as the Provincial Campgrounds are all too small.😒

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

We haven't had ours out since last summer, as we still have recommendation not to travel unless essential. Due to our length, we really don't have any local places to go, as the Provincial Campgrounds are all too small.😒

I get it. A number of years ago we had IIRC a 37' one. This one is so much better for us. We can and have driven in through SF, no size limitations. I'll be honest and admit we've never used the shower but we certainly could.

10 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We have that recommendation here as well.

On 3/17/2021 at 11:29 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Smarter, more concerned for the health of those around us, unselfish......

Agree.  We should teach our children responsibility and respect to others (I.e., not to be selfish).  Freedom is a privilege to have, as long as it does not negatively impact others’ safety and space.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We have a pretty good size separate shower and it has never been used.  Well not for a shower anyway.   A large dog bed fit perfectly and now it has been claimed by our two dogs as their private bedroom.    

Had to cancel this week's camping on the coast because one of our dogs had an emergency surgery on her cervical vertebrae (however you say that).  She is home now and doing great.  We have another trip to the same place booked for next month.  

3 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Agree.  We should teach our children responsibility and respect to others (I.e., not to be selfish).  Freedom is a privilege to have, as long as it does not negatively impact others’ safety and space.

Wow.  Freedom is a privilege?  What has the education system done to you?

• Like 6

21 minutes ago, ldubs said:

We have a pretty good size separate shower and it has never been used.  Well not for a shower anyway.   A large dog bed fit perfectly and now it has been claimed by our two dogs as their private bedroom.    

Had to cancel this week's camping on the coast because one of our dogs had an emergency surgery on her cervical vertebrae (however you say that).  She is home now and doing great.  We have another trip to the same place booked for next month.  

Where are you headed? We started around Ft. Bragg (drawing a complete blank on the town just south of there) and have been during the summer all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula and over to Seattle.

And, lol, we haven't used our shower either. That's a brilliant idea about the dog bed (and I hope the pup recovers completely). We bought a cart at Ikea, removed the wheels and Bob bungeed it into the shower. It holds kitchen things like spices, various liquids, dish towels, etc.

4 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

It all comes from our children, I mean the image of the future world. It all depends on how we raise them up. I woulda rather pay a better attention to how we raise them to avoid any concequences in the future

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

It all comes from our children, I mean the image of the future world. It all depends on how we raise them up. I woulda rather pay a better attention to how we raise them to avoid any consequences in the future

Thank you.  Mine are wonderfully responsible, intelligent, freedom-loving, and well raised.  Of greater concern is this current generation borrowing from the grandchildren's futures in order to receive small stimulus payments today.

https://digg.com/2020/2-trillion-stimulus-where-money-goes

Edited by Incognito1
apparently I don't know how to link properly ;-)

1 hour ago, clo said:

Where are you headed? We started around Ft. Bragg (drawing a complete blank on the town just south of there) and have been during the summer all the way up to the Olympic Peninsula and over to Seattle.

And, lol, we haven't used our shower either. That's a brilliant idea about the dog bed (and I hope the pup recovers completely). We bought a cart at Ikea, removed the wheels and Bob bungeed it into the shower. It holds kitchen things like spices, various liquids, dish towels, etc.

You might be thinking of Mendocino south of Ft Bragg.  

We were heading to a state campground just north of Bodega Bay.  Excellent access to surf fishing and of course the beauty of the coastline.   I tend to "hang around' a lot along the coast from Mendocino south.   We liked staying at Manchester, but the state park is still closed.   The KOA next door is decent for a KOA.  

BTW, If you ever decide to cut over to Manchester from Hwy 101 up by Cloverdale, do not under any circumstances follow the sign out of Boonville pointing to Manchester.  It turns into a narrow one-lane steep winding lane for many miles.   The road from hell.    Instead, stay on 128 then hang a left on Hwy 1.   

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ldubs said:

Since we are often away for up to 6 months and avoid using campground toilet blocks, we use the shower frequently. Still get a week out of the tanks, with the grey tanks 60 gals.

Our 2 dogs (GSD & Lab) commander the living room couch and get somewhat indignant when we have visitors, and have to use the dog beds.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, dreamercruise said:

Freedom is a privilege to have, as long as it does not negatively impact others’ safety and space.

The exercising of my rights should not impinge on the rights of others.  Lots of law, both criminal and civil, I would imagine is written based on this concept.

4 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Well the Declaration of Independence does call out an Liberty as a basic, unalienable right, but that does not include my ability to impinge upon the rights of others.  I think that's what @dreamercruise was trying to say.

Also as is frequently said, "freedom isn't free."  Everyone has obligations to collectively guard the freedoms enjoyed by all.

Edited by SelectSys
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

To me, freedom is a special privilege (e.g., speech, religion, and etc.,) that I can enjoy here in United States.  I cannot say the same in other countries under dictatorship-like leadership. In some countries, the fortune that you accumulate over your lifetime of honest hard work can be taken away overnight without any good reasons.  This why I think of freedom as a privilege.  Do not confuse it with entitlement.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dreamercruise said:

In some countries, the fortune that you accumulate over your lifetime of honest hard work can be taken away overnight without any good reasons.  

I want to know which countries where that doesn't happen😂

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Incognito1 said:

Thank you.  Mine are wonderfully responsible, intelligent, freedom-loving, and well raised.  Of greater concern is this current generation borrowing from the grandchildren's futures in order to receive small stimulus payments today.

https://digg.com/2020/2-trillion-stimulus-where-money-goes

I noticed you said in edit you don't know how to add link so thought this might help:

1. Click on icon indicated

997061663_Screenshot_20210327-101457_Opera2.thumb.jpg.765c09f39c9657bd6f894137c2b9c9f5.jpg

This will bring up these boxes:

1214835643_Screenshot_20210327-101651_Opera2.thumb.jpg.b0c5fd5ce13f044e8d9fc7a55ec3aef9.jpg

In URL you put in website link. Link text is like a title and will be how your URL is, displayed. You don't need to fill it if you don't want to. Hope this helps 🤗

Edited by ilikeanswers
  • Thanks 4

58 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I want to know which countries where that doesn't happen😂

I would like to see some real examples of government appropriation of business without compensation in places like the US, Australia and Europe.  I do recognize that  COVID regulations and edicts put a lot of people out of out of business in the name of public health, but this is somewhat different to me than what happens in countries with less robust legal systems and were confiscations of assets happen when someone runs afoul of politicians.  

Edited by SelectSys
  • Thanks 1