Leaving Celebrity suite class for awhile to try Regent

wwinfl91

We have been on 6 Celebrity cruises 2015-2019 booking their suite class staterooms and have mostly enjoyed the cruises. we especially enjoyed the separate suite dining room and Michele's club. On the Eclipse, Solstice and Equinox we have had noise problems from the fact some idiot at celebrity put their suite class cabins right below the Lido deck and all the activity and noise that is generated up there. Hopefully they will go back and try to put better soundproofing in the roof of those cabins while the ships are in a timeout. Anyway we have decided to begin cruising again in 2022 but want to do it on smaller ships. So we have booked a cruise on Regent Seven Seas for July 30, 2022, Iceland to Copenhagen. It carries 700 passengers instead of the 2850 the Celebrity ships we have sailed on recently and we feel a smaller passenger load hopefully will help protect us from Corvid19. We are in our 70's and have been vaccinated and by then may have had a vaccine booster shot. Anyway interested in anyone has sailed suite class on Celebrity and also on Regent and if so what was your opinion? Obviously the cost is higher but actually not that much more when you consider they include business class round trip airfare in their price. Have a great next cruise.

We did our first Regent cruise last January from Auckland to Bali. We have done about 10 Celebrity cruises in suites. We loved Regent and have three more booked. One next January in a Penthouse suite on Voyager from Santiago Chile to Buenos Aires with a three day included pre cruise in Santiago. We also love the suite class on Celebrity but in these COVID times, it is nice to be on a ship with 700 people.

We did Alaska on Regent Navigator.  An older ship, but lovely.  So nice just to order a drink and not go through your card being swiped.  Great food, and the ship-included excursions were quite good.  That ship only carries 490...and getting inside Tracy Arm was super.  Enjoy your cruises.

We have sailed mostly in Aqua on Celebrity, we had a good deal the first time and we liked it especially for Blu so that became our standard. Like your comment about Celebrity suites, you have to chose your Aqua cabin carefully as they seem to put them in less desirable locations.

We also decided to try Regent, based on positive recommendations from friends, and a great itinerary that was 63 nights long, no repeat ports. It encompassed 4 separate legs and prices were adjusted since they each included the airfare. In addition, our cruise fare included 3 days in Beijing at the end of the cruise. There was little to complain about, we really enjoyed the smaller ship experience - 750 passengers on the Voyager. The only time you use your key card is to get into your cabin, or when getting on and off the ship. Excursions, wifi and tips are also included, so not a lot to spend money while onboard. Our TA sent us a cheque after final payment in lieu of onboard amenities for that reason. We had a deluxe veranda suite on Regent, which is their lowest category. The layout is like a bed-by-bath Celebrity veranda cabin, but larger, and with a walk in closet. They will provide bottles of liquor in your suite. They had a self serve laundry which was great on such a long cruise. They are now including laundry in their fares, suspect the self serve may not be available with possible covid restrictions when cruising returns.

After our Regent experience, we did a B2B on Celebrity in a Sky Suite. We liked the extra space in the suite. We enjoyed Luminae and Michael's. We also had a butler, that we did not have on Regent. We will cruise again on both Celebrity and Regent, depending on price and itinerary.

One thing that I like about Regent is that they enforce the dress code after 6 throughout the ship. Jeans and shorts are not permitted after 6, unless you are having supper at the pool grill. What we typically wore on Celebrity in the evenings was just fine on Regent, and we are not into gowns and tuxes. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, travlr21 said:

We have sailed mostly in Aqua on Celebrity, we had a good deal the first time and we liked it especially for Blu so that became our standard. Like your comment about Celebrity suites, you have to chose your Aqua cabin carefully as they seem to put them in less desirable locations.

We too are usual Aqua passengers.  We've never done anything else on S class, but will have suites on Summit and Equinox in 2022.  I read often about AQ being in less desirable locations.  We disagree, as we always pick forward starboard w/o overhang, under the hair salon for quiet.  Quick to the gym, solarium and spa cafe.  Oh, how I miss cruising.

• Like 2

We have been Celebrity suite passengers for several years. We like the experience, honestly no real complaints. Celebrity has continued to generally improve the suite experience. However the prices have grown to exceed similar cabins on Regent, often by several thousand dollars and the Regent cruises provide far more. So we too are decamping to Regent next year, at least for a trial. We also tend to like cruises that are about two weeks and Celebrity seems to offer fewer of these every year. Regent has a better selection, and with more varied itineraries.

we have looked at Silversea for the same reasons.  The price of a X suite is very close to SS or Regent when you are on a port intensive cruise.  Add in airfare and excursions (that can be a substantial number) and the differences are minimal for the most part

We sailed Oceania a few years ago and were impressed.  Food was excellent, rooms are dated (black and gold granite look) but nice enough.  What it lacks, and this would be my fear of SS and R, would be any energy at night.  I don't need Broadway plays or brass bands, but on O dinner was the nightly entertainment.  Small groups of pax talking here and there afterward  but didn't really have a place to "go to"

On X, you can walk out of the suite are and sample all sorts of activity.  They are trying the big ship selections with small ship feel and service 

The rise in prices have caused many, as reported on Cruise Critic, to try more luxury lines. I've been on Celebrity, mainly Aqua Class more than 100 times and 2 out of 3 last cruises have been on Crystal. 2 of my 3 scheduled cruises are on Crystal. Really love the small ship experience. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, OUBaylor1 said:

Would like to know how the food on Regent compares with Celebrity's Luminae. 

The food is fantastic. Speciality restaurants are included in the fare, but the main dining room, Compass Rose is so good I did not need to go to the French restaurant or other specialities. 
Luminae is good and we still we occasionally cruise in a suite on Celebrity.

But it is so nice to have business air fare, excursions, gratuities, drinks and now laundry all included.

• Like 1

We have been on many Regent cruises and really love the ships and the staff. Food is delicious and excursions included are mostly very good. We have been on Celebrity in a sky suite and are booked in August for a Sky Suite on the Edge. Our Alaska cruise on Regent for that same time looks like a no go so we cancelled and booked this cruise. Who knows if it will go (Caribbean) I have a special birthday and want to get away!!!

We usually book Aqua and have had suites cancelled in 2020.

I was hoping to book a Regent cruise at the end of the year but my wife thought that it maybe  a bit too 'posh' for her. I should not have shown her the Sevens Seas Mariner television show as I think she would have loved it. She always demands Business Class and 5 star hotels so I cannot see her point of view. Oddly she is keen to try Seabourne as she has been on them with her work.

However managed to book a Transpacific Oceania Cruise in 2022. The trip is much more port intensive with comparable Celebrity/HAL cruises with effectively an Alaskan cruise one end and a Japanese cruise the other. Celebrity just seems to sail from Vancouver to Tokyo with a bunch of folk who enjoy sea days (nothing wrong with that). We did not utilise the inclusive economy flights and will use airmiles for Business Class.

I am keen to try many cruise lines although may not revisit TUI again. Itineraries are important for us.

She may be reacting to the way the women are dressed.  People don't dress up for hotels and airlines anymore, but some cruise ships either require or just seem to get dressy.  Tell your wife not to pay attention to the brochures:  those are all professional models, dressed the way the advertising director wanted – not real passengers.  But the television show may have been showing the actual experience she would find.

6 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

She may be reacting to the way the women are dressed.  People don't dress up for hotels and airlines anymore, but some cruise ships either require or just seem to get dressy.  Tell your wife not to pay attention to the brochures:  those are all professional models, dressed the way the advertising director wanted – not real passengers.  But the television show may have been showing the actual experience she would find.

Yup, the brochures are more than a bit misleading. I loved the drawings of the new Celebrity E-Class terminal where all the ‘passengers’ looked as if they were in their late 20’s, sports jackets and only a few sitting around in a very spacious area. Where were ‘us’ with our striped shorts and black socks and a T-shirt describing a ‘certain’ part of our body?? Not one Beer Belly is sight!?! 

But yes, on Silverseas and Regent, you won’t see some of the more ‘classic’ outfits; more slacks and polos and what I call travel-Chico. Maybe a few more sports jackets but enough variety to make any of us comfortable. 

Do enjoy the smaller ‘luxury’ ships, but do remember they Are smaller and if there is any real storms, you’ll see much more movement. We experienced very strong Gulf of Mexico storm and it got more than a bit colorful. 

Den

I think I agree with views on the dress code! The models onthe Celebrity brochure are not typical of our compatriots. Not that I would ever wear socks with sandals tho!

Will have to buy some more 'country casual' clothes. Shame I bought a new Hugo Boss DJ for the last cruise which did not go.

A bit of rough weather in a smaller ship should not be an issue. We recently sold a sail yacht and still charter in Greece.

7 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I've seen a few people commenting on this. Does the smaller ship feel "boring"?

What is it about this small ship experience that people really love?  

They love all that others call “boring”!

we are in betweeners 😁 we really don’t need the shows, the entertainment, the happy hours or Martini Bar frenzy. For us it’s about destination and quiet conversation.  So small ships would be the thing for us.

However, I also love the space and airy feeling on Celebrity ships. Smaller ships or ships of different design - like HAL - feel too small to me.

Edited by Miaminice

3 hours ago, Miaminice said:

They love all that others call “boring”!

we are in betweeners 😁 we really don’t need the shows, the entertainment, the happy hours or Martini Bar frenzy. For us it’s about destination and quiet conversation.  So small ships would be the thing for us.

However, I also love the space and airy feeling on Celebrity ships. Smaller ships or ships of different design - like HAL - feel too small to me.

That is certainly true of R class ships...and RSSC Navigator, as it is an older vessel.  Couldn't believe how low the ceilings were.  I have not been on Explorer, but I suspect it's more open feeling.  We booked a suite on Oceania Sirena, but opted for an A3 on Riviera since it is newer and the bathrooms are larger.  I'm hoping public spaces are airy as well.

Thanks to everyone for your answers. They were very educating and made me realize we are not the only ones feeling a smaller number of passengers might be safer. For the person considering Seabourn we did 2 cruises on them several years ago and loved both of them. One was on the Odyssey, which they still have, and one on the Pride which is now with Windstar. Great food and service and loved not having to give someone my card every time we wanted a drink. Have a great next cruise.

14 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I've seen a few people commenting on this. Does the smaller ship feel "boring"?

What is it about this small ship experience that people really love?  

Good question! Guess it depends on line and ship, but I love the less crowded feeling of my choice. Embarkation and debarkation are really quick. I love the cabin size of even the OV cabins which are larger than Sky Suites on Celebrity. Food is much better and served at the proper temperature as there are fewer people to serve. Veal replaces chicken on the menu. There are often 2  shows per night so it most certainly is not boring. There is a full movie theater and popcorn is served. Fewer shops for my DW to shop and that's a positive. Much more public space! Some, but not all reasons I prefer my favorite smaller ship 

• Like 1

We've also cruised on Regent and it was a terrific experience, great food, service, spacious cabin & common areas. It attracts pax who are laid back but extremely well traveled. Unfortunately, its fares are  very expensive. We have cruised much more on X as it has been a better value but their new AI and higher price may drive us away from them.

20 minutes ago, dabear said:

We've also cruised on Regent and it was a terrific experience, great food, service, spacious cabin & common areas. It attracts pax who are laid back but extremely well traveled. Unfortunately, its fares are  very expensive. We have cruised much more on X as it has been a better value but their new AI and higher price may drive us away from them.

I'm been comparing New Zealand cruises [very far advance planning, given New Zealand's incredibly slow vaccination program] and was surprised to see just how expensive Regent is!  Silversea is a bargain by comparison.  So much so that I would even be willing to pack my navy suit for formal night...