First time balcony... which deck 9-12?

Trish Traveler

This is a general question in regards to which height/deck/distance from water is desirable for a standard balcony cabin possibly on the Enchanted Princess in the Caribbean.  We have always had inside cabins, but would probably book balcony.  For the enjoyment of viewing the ocean, do you think it is preferable lower/closer to the water or higher up to deck 12.  Probably mid-aft.  I'm not asking about a particular cabin, just opinions on decks.  Thanks.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those decks.  What you may want to check if there is anything other than cabins above or below the cabin you choose and also where it is located on the deck.  Some people have complained about elevator noise but I prefer to be near the elevators and I have never had a problem with noise.  Also some complain about being near the laundry and again I have not had any noise problems.  Some cabins have larger balconies than others.  Mostly the only difference may be the cost as some decks get a higher price for the same cabin.  

• Like 2

You asked about decks 9 through 12 but here is some information about all decks.

I would try to avoid cabins on deck 15 situated below the pool and buffet area. Can be noise.

A smoking area should be on the aft starboard side deck 7 patio/promenade. Cabins on deck 8 directly above may experience some smell of smoke.

Examine the deck plans. The standard size balcony on the Enchanted is 9ftx4ft. Some cabins have larger balconies.

Standard balcony cat. cabins have one desk chair, no sofa.

Deluxe balcony cabins will have a 2 seat sofa.

Most balcony cabins on deck 8 are obstructed view and offer slightly better fares. The views are not that obstructed, nothing really in front of your sight line, except that some of these cabins have solid railings instead of glass. There is lots of information on specific cabins.

Higher decks really don't provide any significantly better views. Remember you are looking at the ocean and horizon most of the time. 

Edited by skynight
  • Like 3

We greatly enjoy the midship Emerald deck (8) obstructed balconies which are listed under Interior cabins.

Lower deck & midship is good for my wife’s motion sickness tendency and some balconies in that curved section have slightly larger balconies. They’re designated as obstructed because looking straight down you see the open Promenade deck however looking outward there is no obstruction. And being obstructed they are less expensive than the same balconies elsewhere.

Other locations on deck 8 will have varying degrees of lifeboat obstructions however none for midship & here’s a link to photos of balcony obstructions.

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/ov.php?ship=Enchanted-Princess&cabins=E401-E445

478E1F41-C753-4409-8189-B8657E9ACAAA.jpeg

E7D22F50-002D-446E-A148-687D6D080900.jpeg

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We prefer decks 9 and 10 depending on the ship and the availability of our accommodation type.  Midship as much as possible.  One reason for these deck choices is that it is doable to walk either up or down the stairs if necessary in times of terrible elevator congestion.

• Like 1

You mentioned "mid-aft". Be sure to examine the deck plans on the Princess website (as Skynight mentioned). Some balconies are larger than others aft as well as others on the ship.

Enjoy your balcony! We always book balconies.

1 hour ago, Ombud said:

I have found that Caribe balconies are usually larger. YMMV

On the Enchanted which the OP asked about the Caribe deck balconies on the side of the ship are all the smaller (9’x4’) standard size balconies except for some slightly larger midship cabins. Dolphin deck fore & aft balconies on the side of the ship show they’re about double the size of the standard balconies.

On non Royal-Class ships the Caribe deck balconies are larger at 9’x9’. 🙂

• Thanks 1

My vote is for Deck 8, too.  I sail single, insides most times, cannot beat prices on mid-ship obstr. balcony cabins Emerald Deck.  Savings is a lot compared to other balcony cabins.  If you look at the deck plans, balcony size mid-ship isn't bad.

I rarely, if ever, go to buffet area, not a fun in the sun person anymore, prefer to be closer to decks, 5, 6, and 7.  Deck 8 works great, older ships, Plaza Deck.

Edited by susancruzs

I prefer the Dolphin deck. (9)  I also prefer either mid or mid-forward.  The last time we were in an aft cabin I felt engine vibration the entire trip.  However we were on a group tour that placed us on a lower level closer to the engines and generators.  We are booked on the Enchanted and are in one of the mid-forward Premium Deluxe Balconies on Dolphin deck. Has much larger balcony than the standard and deluxe balconies unless you get one of the slant balconies. Does anyone know if the premium deluxe balconies include foot stools? Several videos I have watched of these balconies on other ships have them.

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 6:15 PM, Tak8 said:

I like being higher up.  Just not right below pool deck.

below the pool deck can be very nosey in am when crew cleans pool deck at 3 or 4 am.  Watch out. 

It depends on the ship for us as to where we like to book.  On the Royal class ships, we usually book a cabin port side on deck 8 aft past the last tender craft.  It has a great view, close to the stairs to get to some of the deck 7 chairs.  On ships such as the Caribbean or Emerald, we like to larger balconies on Caribe deck.  On any ship that has an available cabin facing aft we like to get and any other time we might go for the most forward we can.  I guess after 45 on Princess it really doesn't matter - we enjoy them all as long as it's a bslcony.

• 2 weeks later...
9 minutes ago, Kallen said:

So much good info on this thread that, alas, I will never remember it all come May when I can start looking for cruises.

Lol. It’s truly a personal thing. The best laid plans can go astray if the person next to you keeps their TV blaring all night long or you have a bandit balcony smoker nearby.

We personally try to keep close to an elevator or stairs and try to be close to dining or up at Lido.  I don’t want to spend my cruise walking down hallways. My favourite rooms we have ended up with are just adjacent to the action so it’s a quick flight of stairs up to the fun