The Daily for Wednesday Apr 07, 2021

richwmn

Today is Caramel Popcorn Day, International Beaver Day, and National Beer Day

Any idiot can face a crisis - it's day to day living that wears you out. - Anton Chekhov

Meal suggestion for today - Chili Dog Pizza

Drink of the Day - Screwdriver

Wine of the day - HW Wine Company Languedoc Rosé Diving Into Hampton Water 2017

Port of the Day - Nanortalik Greenland

At Sea Mediterranian Sea
Zaandam Destination Augusta IT eta 4/10

At Sea Pacific
Noordam Destination Los Angeles eta 4/10
Westerdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/11
Zuiderdam Destination La Paz MX eta 4/8

Brest FR
Oosterdam

Corfu GR
Volendam

Great Stirrup Cay
Nieuw Statendam Anchorage

La Paz MX
Koningsdam Anchorage

Puerto Vallarta
Nieuw Amsterdam

Torquay UK
Eurodam Anchorage

0407Europe.thumb.png.365a0bfdf69c61502cd5fdf41a2955fd.png

0407USA.thumb.png.12fe28808656d53a3f32cb8045ae0618.png

• Like 29
  • Thanks 5

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  After yesterday I understand National Beer Day.  I tend to place Beavers more in the pest category rather than a celebration.  Haven't had caramel popcorn in years.  Today is also National Walking Day and I would love to be walking on a ship deck.  Chekhov was on to something.  Been to several Greenland ports but not Nanortalik.  I think I'll pass on the Chili Dog Pizza.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Peach Crisp (Sorry Av8rix) as served on MS Zaandam March 7, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes07.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Cruisin Terri

Gymnist Evan Manivong flashing vaccination card

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jab appointments for cunnorl’s kids

Dreams of a “Daily” cruise

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 27
  • Thanks 5

Good morning, everyone.

Carmel popcorn is ok once in a great while.  I remember loving Cracker Jacks as a kid.  What a treat when you got the whole box!   Here's to National Beer Day!   I may have a Guinness tonight.  Depends on whether or not I want to spend the calories.  

Today's meal sounds like junk food heaven.   When I was a kid, our neighbors across the street owned a drive in chili dog stand.  If you were there when Mrs.  Hop had to take a batch of chili sauce down to the hot dog stand, you rode along with her and she always got you a chili dog.  Hops had 10 kids and it was just easier to load everyone in the car than to sort out who belonged to you and who didn't.  

Off to the pool!

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/chili-dog-pizza/

I'll be skipping this as it is pretty high in carbs before you even get to a vegetable.

1 serving: 404 calories, 25g fat (11g saturated fat), 54mg cholesterol, 1113mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 18g protein.

Chili dog pizza.jpg

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good morning.  Thanks for the Daily Report.  Happy Hump Day!

Love caramel popcorn, maybe I'll make some later today.  And have a beer too.  Beavers are great.

Interesting quote.

I'll pass on the dinner suggestion.

A screwdriver would be good, but not if I'm having a beer.😉

Looking forward to reading about the wine.

I've never been to Greenland, maybe someday.

Sending prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to all who celebrate.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning everyone. Up early again today. This time for the dermatologist to check on something. 

I love Carmel popcorn, but haven’t had any in years.

The weather here has been beautiful so I’m looking forward to another day outside.

The variants of this virus are all over New Jersey, so without the vaccine yet, I’m staying pretty much locked down except for a few doctor’s visits.

Stay safe, everyone.

Carol

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Happy Wednesday.  Thank you Rich for your dedication to our lists.  I can't wait to see the Rotterdam on the list.  Roy, I love reading about your chilled soups.  I hope they bring them back.  My favorites.  The quote is so true.  I'll pass on the meal.  Have not made it to Greenland, can't wait to see everyone's. pictures. Can't eat caramel corn anymore and DH is happy about Beer Day!  Cute story Debbie. 

@mamaofamigood luck with your Dr. appointment.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 7.16.30 AM.png

• Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

International Beaver day?  HURRAH 🙂 The day was created around 11 years ago to remember them & the wetlands (which the beavers help create) and keep them protected.  I’ll celebrate extra as the beaver is the National animal of Canada!  Can it get any more Canadian than this?

B918BB71-F548-435B-8390-F458B66C52F8.jpeg.8f0c69401a92ee859ef9857e8347c455.jpeg

It’s even on our nickel.  (Good thing it wasn’t the penny since they don’t exist anymore 😉 )

A99625E0-7621-4293-8F59-3FB898ED37AA.thumb.jpeg.a576e3a2b3a2075c4629daa4688a5f65.jpeg

Love caramel popcorn but it’s a no no right now.  Beer lovers everywhere will celebrate today for sure.

Love that quote by Chekhov.  So true.  We’re all facing the crisis but it’s the day in and day out same ol’ same ol’ that’s wearing a lot of us out 😉 

I’ll pass on the meal suggestion although it is an intriguing idea.  I suspect we will have left over lamb tonight or....steak if I can pick up a good steak after my hair appointment. I believe we can now move the bbq out of the garage & over the bit of snow left to get on our deck 👍 bbq’d steak would be such a nice change 🙂 

@dfishlove your story.  @mamaofamigood luck with the appointment today.

Haven’t been to Greenland so I’ll look forward to the photos.

More support for the beaver!

Prayers for those on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to everyone on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

Have a great Hump day everyone!!!!

4693717C-23B2-429F-99FE-FC405D0B2757.jpeg.d07a38dc27b6722ad780ff37be22c100.jpeg

Stay safe & please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 30
  • Haha 2

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! You have outdone yourself with today’s combo of days!

Roy, thank you for keeping our lists! Morning Dailyites & my Sisters! Not sure about the quote. I always had certain go-to people when facing a crisis. I am fairly certain I would not even want to taste today’s meal, but Debbie - thank you for sharing that great memory! I have had a few screwdrivers in my lifetime, Summer!

Good luck at the dermatologist today Carol! I go back for my three month check up next week. 

Just a routine day for me, but this weather is just spectacular.  Tonight I am doing scallops & ?

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

You might have to settle for another vintage of today’s wine, but luckily all vintages share the same excellent ratings. I found one online distributor who offered the 2017 vintage for $47.99. But since other vintages were offered for as low as $19.99, I would not hesitate to try another year.

Winemaker Notes

#83 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2018 

Clean and fresh, with bursts of bright red fruit flavors (cherries, strawberries, and watermelon), balanced acidity, a touch of minerality and a long, dry and refreshing finish.

Hand-picked by the finest wine makers the South of France has to offer, Hampton Water Wine is made up of the perfect blend of Grenache, Cinsault and Mourvèdre grapes. What that all means is this wine is the perfect companion for any occasion.

WS90 Wine Spectator:  A nicely crafted rosé, with a hint of creamy richness lining the strawberry, melon and white cherry flavors. A dash of minerality imparts depth through the long, mouthwatering finish. A crowd-pleaser. Grenache, Cinsault, Mourvèdre and Syrah.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 26

Good morning!

Beer Day?  That makes sense after Beer's Eve Day yesterday.  I would prefer the screwdriver really.  DH can have a beer with popcorn tonight if we have a light dinner.  Think I'll pass on the chili dog pizza!

We are driving up to north of Atlanta to visit a about 3 car dealerships.  We have a certain model SUV in mind and don't plan on paying MSRP like some of the dealers think we should.  We hate the traffic up there but will try to get it all in on the same day to get the pain over with.  Should be gone all day.

I have to get ready to leave so it's a good thing I haven't been to Nanortalik, Greenland yet.  I have plenty of photos from the other 6 Greenland ports we've seen, so they will have to wait until some of them are announced Port of the Day.  It will be interesting to see if anyone here on the Daily has been there.  I can't wait to check in later and find out.

Have a good day all and wish us luck!

• Like 22

We were supposed to visit Nanortalik in 2017 on our Zaandam TA, but the wind was so strong that it drove one of the early tenders into the rocks. The Captain discontinued tendering at that point and the crew worked the rest of the day to bring the remaining tenders back to the ship. The wind made it difficult to line them up correctly for the hoist. We sat up in the Crow's Nest most of the day and watched icebergs and whales.

• Like 19
  • Haha 1

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach.

Love caramel popcorn, although have not had any in quite awhile. Have not been to Greenland. Love to see any pictures.  

I am happy to see the celebration list longer than the care list!

Debbie- that is a good story about your neighbor. Reminds me of growing up in New England, if someone went someplace, whoever was there went also. My grandfather was like the Pied Piper as he walked down everyday to check the building of the new church and school.  Good Memories.

StLouisCruisers- good luck with car shopping. Not a favorite task for me.

Off to water aerobics.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 16

33 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning!

Beer Day?  That makes sense after Beer's Eve Day yesterday.  I would prefer the screwdriver really.  DH can have a beer with popcorn tonight if we have a light dinner.  Think I'll pass on the chili dog pizza!

We are driving up to north of Atlanta to visit a about 3 car dealerships.  We have a certain model SUV in mind and don't plan on paying MSRP like some of the dealers think we should.  We hate the traffic up there but will try to get it all in on the same day to get the pain over with.  Should be gone all day.

I have to get ready to leave so it's a good thing I haven't been to Nanortalik, Greenland yet.  I have plenty of photos from the other 6 Greenland ports we've seen, so they will have to wait until some of them are announced Port of the Day.  It will be interesting to see if anyone here on the Daily has been there.  I can't wait to check in later and find out.

Have a good day all and wish us luck!

Ah, buying a car is one of my least favorite things.  The hassle can be exhausting.

• Like 11

2 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the Hump Day Daily, Rich.  After yesterday I understand National Beer Day.  I tend to place Beavers more in the pest category rather than a celebration.  Haven't had caramel popcorn in years.  Today is also National Walking Day and I would love to be walking on a ship deck.  Chekhov was on to something.  Been to several Greenland ports but not Nanortalik.  I think I'll pass on the Chili Dog Pizza.  My alternative is Chilled Peach and Ginger Soup, Rustic Home Made Lasagna, and Peach Crisp (Sorry Av8rix) as served on MS Zaandam March 7, 2017:

https://aroundamericabitbybit.files.wordpress.com/2017/04/dishes07.jpg

Today's care list:

Kakalina

myself facing cardiac surgery

NextOne DH facing chemo

HorizonChaser1957'BIL

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard Cruisin Terri

Gymnist Evan Manivong flashing vaccination card

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Jab appointments for cunnorl’s kids

Dreams of a “Daily” cruise

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy:  When are you having Cardiac surgery?

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Happy Wednesday.  Thank you Rich for your dedication to our lists.  I can't wait to see the Rotterdam on the list.  Roy, I love reading about your chilled soups.  I hope they bring them back.  My favorites.  The quote is so true.  I'll pass on the meal.  Have not made it to Greenland, can't wait to see everyone's. pictures. Can't eat caramel corn anymore and DH is happy about Beer Day!  Cute story Debbie. 

@mamaofamigood luck with your Dr. appointment.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Screwdriver:

Ingredients: 1 3/4 oz (1 part) Vodka, 3 1/2 oz (2 parts) Orange juice
Preparation: Mix in a highball glass with ice. Garnish and serve.
Served: On the rocks; poured over ice
Standard garnish: Orange slice

Screen Shot 2021-04-07 at 7.16.30 AM.png

I have to try this.

• Like 3

Rich

Thank you for the DAILY Fleet report.   It is going be another nice day in these parts, Thanks to the many who contribute to tis DAILY Thread.  Thanks also to those who take the time to read this thread.  We all look forward to the day HAL sails again. "The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."

"

• Like 8

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I prefer my popcorn plain, but DH loves caramel corn - his favourite is Crunch 'n Munch with peanuts.  When we get to board one of those Dam ships, we'll continue our tradition of a beer in every port.

We Canadians love our beavers - yes, they can be destructive, but they're just so industrious!  Speaking of beavers, on Saturday when DS took our little 5 yr old DGS to the Calgary Zoo for the socially distanced Easter Egg Hunt, little guy (who is going to be a photog like his dad) was carrying his own real digital camera and stopped in front of a cage where he loudly declared "Dad, I have to stop and take a picture of the cutest beaver I've ever seen with my eyes."  And he did.  But it was a gopher.  LOL

We like the occasional chili dog, and we like pizza, but I've never heard of putting the two together - not sure about that.   We did have salmon patty burgers last night, and made a bunch of them, so it's looking like leftovers with stir-fried vegetables will be gracing our dinner table tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Raising the wine glasses to toast all on the growing (yay!) celebration list tonight.  Be well, stay safe, wash your hands and wear your mask(s).

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 20

Thank you Rich and overcast yet warm greetings from here in Tennessee today to all the Dailyites.

I've had a tummy bug for a couple days now (the quote is appropriate) so I'll pass on chili dog pizza.... come to think of it, even if I didn't have a tummy bug, I think I would still pass on chili dog pizza. The heart burn alone would be fatal. 

Happy news. Ds got his JnJ vaccine yesterday. He was so happy. I am happy for him. Having been an essential worker this whole pandemic, he has worried. Thankfully when we got Covid, his was a mild case but there are no guarantees. Slowly our little family is getting their jabs. 

The resurrected dogwood is in full bloom and my early reblooming iris are as well. I'll try to get some pics up later this week. I put in 10 new varieties of iris last fall and despite the gnawing of squirrels seem to be coming along well. They can't taste good so I am puzzled as to why the squirrels bother. 

I'll be taking it easy today and since it may be rainy (but hopefully not tornadoey!!!)  this afternoon, I feel fully justified. Maybe I can interest dd in a movie and we can snuggle up on the couch. It always interesting when you as a parent are sick but your young children are not. You would like to reason with them or heck even bribe them to just be nice and quiet for mommy while she recovers. It seldom works in my experience. 

Prayers and thoughts for all those on the list and hopes you all have a peaceful and restful day.

• Like 17

@rafinmd I enjoy the celebration lists you post!  The gymnist with his vaccination card is great, as                              was  his landing!

Doing the happy dance here this morning as both DH and I have appointments for the                                 vaccine.  We have to drive an hour for mine, but that's okay,  we will happily do that.

Visited Nanortalik on VOV in 2019.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1