Pride of America..I'm confused

Traveller20074

10 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

so they say POA is sailing.  but WHEN?? Is it sailing now? i keep reading that it's a go on POA. i thought ALL cruises were cancelled

I don't know where you got the idea that POA is sailing. No one is saying that POA is sailing now, nor is there any firm date established for a restart.

28 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

so they say POA is sailing.  but WHEN?? Is it sailing now? i keep reading that it's a go on POA. i thought ALL cruises were cancelled

Just curious, where are you reading that it's a go?

43 minutes ago, Traveller20074 said:

Please, tell us where you've read that POA will sail soon and Hawaii will open soon.  I'd love to know since visiting Hawaii is still on my bucket list.  

Sorry to say POA is not sailing  now.  Hawaii does need tourism  dollars and is working to find  solutions. There is push back from a portion of the population.  Some of the concern is the availability of Medical Facilities should an outbreak occur. Having lived on the Big  Island, I can confirm that is a valid concern. 

CC member Bermuda Bound is on Maui and has been there since January.  And described a lengthy process recently experienced when  flying to Oahu  from Maui and back.  I am sure we will see a post concerning that later today.  It is still very early in Hawaii. 

There is also a thread lower dow on this page as well.  See page 2 of this thread. 

• Thanks 1

I just read on NCL.com a travel alert dated April 6 that “no changes have been made to July and august cruises for Norwegian Bliss and Pride of America.” Sounds like they are sailing then. I have not drilled down to see about excursions yet. Will do so.

• Like 1

I just chatted with an agent on NCL.com about my September sailing on POA. He said at this time there is no requirement for NCL excursion to debarked in Hawaii. I think we are good to go! 😀

• Like 1

@philv ummm, an NCL agent, on the phone or chat line, is likely to know even less than those here on CC.  Sorry, but it's been proven time and time again.  Those agents are all about selling cruises and, unless very high up in the chain of command, are unlikely to receive much info regarding the sailing plans for NCL's future sail dates. 

• Like 3

In the Aril 6th press release from Norwegian about the projected sailing dates for ships, The Bliss, The Encore, The Jewel or The Pride did NOT appear in any of the three Lists.

25 July  Jade:   Greece

7  August  Joy:  Caribbean from Puerto Rico

15  August  Gem:  Caribbean from the Dominic Republic

1  Sept.  Epic:  No itinerary announced

7  Nov.  Pearl:  No itinerary announced

Suspended until 31 August:  The Breakaway, The Dawn, The Escape, The Getaway, The Sky, The Spirit, The Star and The Sun

3 hours ago, Traveller20074 said:

POA is under the same restrictions as cruises from other US ports. Right now, it’s a stand-off with the CDC. 

• Like 2

yes, I'm here on Maui and have been since January. There are also other posters here on CC that live here and they may be able to add better details.

The POA is definitely NOT sailing at this time, and IMO it will be one of the last to sail from the USA ports. There is currently some local resistance to tourism due to limited access to medical facilities. I've been posting updates in two other threads you may find helpful:

Just today I described the requirements for current entry into Hawaii here:

I think we're gonna cancel our cruise... - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruise Critic Community

This thread has been ongoing, but has good information from others living on Hawaii:

When will we sail the Hawaiian Islands Again? - Norwegian Cruise Line - Cruise Critic Community

Hope this helps,

• Like 1

The locals that are against tourism gets the media cycles because of media sensationalization. People with signs and chanting attracts clicks. 

The vast majority of out of work tourism workers are anxious to get back to work and put food on their tables. Out of work workers do not make good news so the media does not cover it. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

The locals that are against tourism gets the media cycles because of media sensationalization. People with signs and chanting attracts clicks. 

The vast majority of out of work tourism workers are anxious to get back to work and put food on their tables. Out of work workers do not make good news so the media does not cover it. 

No doubt there is media sensationalism- but the resistance to tourism existed before covid and IMO its worse now. 

• Like 2

There was recent news about the Lt Gov doctor aiding interisland travel with vaxx passports or a bunch of similar measures for folks who may have lost vaxx card or whatever. Meant for residents but should have wider effect. They stupidly paused local J&J vaxx even tho it should be recipients judgement call about infinitesimal risks, but other vaxx campaign is progressing well locally.

Edited by dumbth

On 4/15/2021 at 8:59 AM, philv said:

I just read on NCL.com a travel alert dated April 6 that “no changes have been made to July and august cruises for Norwegian Bliss and Pride of America.” Sounds like they are sailing then. I have not drilled down to see about excursions yet. Will do so.

Until the CDC rescinds its no sail order from US ports, the POA is going nowhere.  That is a reality. Hawaii is in the US and the CDC order includes all state ports. The CDC will not even answer the NCL CEO's letters to demand reopening. The law suits filed against the CDC by Florida, Alaska and Texas will take months or years to get through the court system.  My sister has her whole family of 10 on a POA cruise in July and like many, she doesn't believe it will not sail and refuses to face reality. If the CDC holds firm to its no sail order until November, how can the POA cruise any earlier?

Here are a couple of related news articles:

Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Ltd. Requests Response from CDC on Company’s Plan to Restart ... (apnews.com)

Norwegian Cruise Line Wants an Answer from the CDC - Cruise Industry News | Cruise News

Edited by terrydtx

I think this is a rapidly developing situation. I saw FDR on TV saying that with a 100% vaccination requirement cruising is safer than any other public accommodation but unlike others is being prohibited from operating. I think the political pressure will finally push a decision to resume operations probably by July when most adults will be vaccinated. Ships moving off shore to resume operations will also pressure US ports losing these ships to demand resumption of operations. I guess we will have to see what happens but I’m optimistic things will move quickly in the right direction.

• Like 3

I am hoping the folk deciding our cruise future, gets it together. Sadly, I am not optimistic about government entities ever agreeing on anything without a drawn out use of taxpayer dollars. Should the magic wand be waved to allow return to cruising , I am hoping POA will set sail when we are booked next year. Sad, like so many about missing planning cruises.

I'm on Big Island and booked on POA end of August. The interisland restrictions still exist but the gov are looking at lifting for vaccinated only.  Otherwise testing is still required.  

There are a ton of tourists here.  I don't see why the ship shouldn't sail with fully vaccinated only but until the CDC agree, I'm not holding my breath.  As of now, POA is still on the itinerary and bookable.

Aloha!

6 hours ago, vossjemi said:

Does that mean children can’t cruise since vaccines have not been approved for them yet?

My sister is booked on the POA in July with her family and grandkids. As of last week NCL told her that if, (that's a big if) the POA is allowed to cruise by the CDC, no unvaccinated people including children of any age will be allowed to cruise. Like everything else that policy could change, but it could be a requirement of the CDC to allow US port cruising before November. She is currently considering canceling and do the cruise in 2022.