Torquay UK
Oosterdam Anchorage

Weymouth GB
Eurodam Anchorage

0422USA.thumb.png.d710e9bc3dab04da0609764176dfd8d8.png

0422Europe.thumb.png.5243dca1a0069e09b8748e6cd3a415c4.png

• Like 34
  • Thanks 6

Thank you for the Earth Day Daily, Rich.  I'll salute our Girl Scout Leaders but will have jelly beans only occasionally.  I like the quote and have been to Portland several times, possibly including HAL.  The meal sounds nice.  My alternative is Insalata Canaletto, Spaghetti with Meatballs, and Pistachio Gelato as served on MS Amsterdam April 22, 2014.

Today's care list:

Kakalina

St. Vincent

myself facing cardiac surgery May 14

Welfare of furloughed crews

Susan grieving for her scottie

Dfish awaiting a crown

Sharon’s ear infections

NextOne DH in hospital

Today's Celebrations and Shoutouts:

Welcome aboard hazelmaye

Teachers, school workers and at home surrogates

Front Line Health Care Workers

Aussie jab appointment for daisybertie

Sr Louis Sal on a Branson getaway

European soccer fan power

Road trip for lindaler

Those whose birthdays and anniversaries escaped me

Dismomx5 new booking

and Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

• Like 32
  • Thanks 4

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily Report.

Winter is still holding on here, we have snow in the forecast for this morning.

Happy Earth Day!  A big salute to Girl Scout Leaders, not a big fan of jelly beans.

Love the quote.

The meal suggestion sounds good.

Looking forward to reading about the drink of the day and the wine.

Prayers for everyone on the Care List.  Cheers to everyone who celebrates.

Stay safe.

• Like 20

Good morning.  Will gladly celebrate Earth Day.  Planting another palm tree in honor.  Was a Girl Scout Leader many years ago.  Love jelly beans but they stick to my crowns so have given them up.  Great quote.  Today's meal sounds so yummy.  Looking forward to Debbie's recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stays safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Kumquat-Ginger Caipirinha:

Ingredients
2 ounces cachaça (Leblon)
5 kumquats (sliced)
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sugar (superfine)
1 teaspoon ginger (fresh, chopped)
 Garnish: kumquat slice

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In an old-fashioned glass, place the kumquats, ginger, and sugar.
Muddle well.
Fill the glass with ice, then add the cachaça.
Stir well or shake it.
Garnish with a slice of kumquat.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 7.00.53 AM.png

• Like 28
  • Thanks 2

Good morning, everyone!

Our snow has melted, but it is still going to be pretty nippy outside.  But, the sun is supposed to shine and that will make up for it.  

Let us all celebrate Earth Day and do something, however small it may be, to benefit the earth.  No jelly beans here, but I do salute all the Girl Scout Leaders.  

I have been to Portland, Maine and I'll look for pictures later.  @rafinmd, I believe you were on the Veendam cruise Historic Coasts in 2013 when Sister Sue and I were there.  I remember meeting you at the Meet and Greet.  We did go to Portland that time.  The first time in Portland Sue and I just walked around town until we were hungry enough for our lobster lunch.  The second time we hiked a trail that goes off to the right from the cruise dock.  The narrow gauge railroad runs along side the trail.  

Today's meal does sound good.   It is very similar to what Mom used to make except Mom didn't use dill.  She used paprika instead.  I have made this recently and substituted zucchini spirals for the noodles to cut the carbs down a bit.  

https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/steak-mushroom-stroganoff/

1 serving: 455 calories, 19g fat (10g saturated fat), 115mg cholesterol, 379mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.

Steak-Mushroom-Stroganoff_EXPS_SDDJ17_195331_16_C08_03_5b-5.jpg

Edited by dfish
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning Everyone from a warm and sunny day at the beach

Good selection of days. We used to do civic projects on Earth Day during my working years. Was not a Girl Scout, was a CampFire Girl and I love jelly beans, although only certain ones.

I have been to Portland many times, but not on a cruise.

I had quite the surprise yesterday. 2 of my closest friends with whom we have shared an almost 40 year friendship surprised me with a visit. Even though they live about 2 hours from here we have not seen each other for over a year due to Covid. Then I found out that my SIL is flying in today from Boston.  I am turning 70 tomorrow and they wanted to be here. So it will be great fun the next few days. It will be hard, I miss my DB but this will be wonderful.

Stay safe and enjoy today.

• Like 27

41 minutes ago, dfish said:

It is very similar to what Mom used to make except Mom didn't use dill.  She used paprika instead.

Paprika - yes, dill - interesting. In the early 1960s, our home extension club had a recipe for hamburger stroganoff using ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, sour cream and noodles. It certainly fit our just-out-of-college-with-youngsters time and financial budgets. Still is a family favorite.

• Like 20

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Earth Day needs to be celebrated every day (it’s Earth Day here in Canada, too)

96DD4160-24C1-4C5D-8A9C-5CA8FF8D49E0.png.56113e35e77004c6d3302a03f7118863.png

Great to see Girl Scout Leaders recognized.

Love the Szasz quote

Raining here today.  It started last night and literally poured buckets.  Just as I was about to put the meat on the bbq, the skies opened.  We still had BBQ though.  I don’t melt 😉   

The meal sounds good but there’s been too much pasta of late.  Perhaps the sausage menu from the other day?  @cunnorlwhat a nice surprise and a great way to celebrate your big birthday 🙂. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

@rafinmdI’m sorry you couldn’t get the documentary last night.  It was really good.  While we took some planes here, there is no question that Gander was truly outstanding.  A town of 9,000 people taking in 7,000 and without the infrastructure to deal with that number of people or planes.  My quote of the day comes from the mayor of Gander:

“They needed food, clothing & shelter but mostly love.  We showed them that human kindness will outdo hatred any day”

Following up on potential weight issues after the pandemic quarantine and our clothes “hugging us”.

FF04BD77-86E4-4B95-883B-2A0995681EEE.thumb.jpeg.3c741a8e1b61917a8910b269b15a5b41.jpeg

Happy to say that I have secured an appointment for my first jab this weekend.  Yippee 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

5A6AD80B-3FD8-4332-9A14-6E5AB26BBE05.jpeg.10922ba382b4aad54900c1088b930ca2.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

• Like 36
  • Haha 4

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A wonderful combination of days, though never a fan of jelly beans. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyites! Fun quote. Not sure about the meal, though your suggestion Debbie might help convince me. I would like to try a sip of today’s drink. I do not believe I have ever had a kumquat, but I love ginger. 

Lovely morning, but a bit cool and very breezy here this morning. Bindi will really enjoy today’s long walk.  I am a bit puzzled by the amount of pollen that is still coming down from our trees, but the outdoor furniture needs a good cleaning. The breeze will help blow dry it. I found a piece of halibut in the freezer during yesterday’s hunt, so that is what I will have for supper tonight. 

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! @bennybear, Happy belated Anniversary! Stay well everyone!

A bit elusive, but an interesting introduction to a grape that is new to me. I could not find any online distributors, but it seems to average around $33 a bottle. I would be interested in tasting this one. 

Have any of you had a wine made with Tannat grapes?

Winemaker intro to grapes: Tannat, originally from southwestern France, ranks as the national grape of Uruguay — planted by Basque farmers in the 1800s — and is gaining popularity in Oregon. Traditionally used as a blending grape, Tannat is not only known, and named, for its high tannins — the Latin root is tannare, after all — but also for its thick skins, high acid and dark, inky color.

According to Brianne Day of Day Wines, Tannat behaves much differently in Oregon from other places. “It isn't crazy, over-the-top tannic, and it doesn't get big, ripe and chewy,” she explains. “Perhaps because our climate only allows for it to get just ripe enough, and not overly ripe, it stays fairly elegant, and the acid is always extremely present.”

92 Wine Enthusiast

Sourced from the Layne Vineyard, this makes a strong case for Tannat in the Applegate Valley. Winemaker Brianne Day does not shy away from risk in pursuit of natural, unmanipulated wines, with wild yeast and no fining or filtering. The lush midpalate is loaded with berries and cherries, and the finish is threaded with details of citrus and herbs. One-third whole clusters were used, along with one-third new oak (a Russian oak puncheon).

• Like 28

4 minutes ago, cat shepard said:

Have any of you had a wine made with Tannat grapes?

DH had some when we were in South America.  He said it was “interesting”.  He didn’t order a 2nd glass nor buy a bottle though if that tells you anything 😉 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Good morning all! 

Happy Earth Day!  I remember my Girl Scout Leader days with fondness (and some laughter). Jelly beans? If it’s not chocolate, I don’t bother.

Love the meal. @Cruise SuzyI remember making that hamburger stroganoff when DH and I were first married! The drink, hummm.

There are a few states I haven’t been to and Maine is one of them ☹️

Youngest daughter got her second Covid shot on Tuesday and Wednesday was a washout. She works from home; she put in 2 hours and then gave up and went to bed to deal with her headache and body aches. Hope she will be feeling better today.

Praying for all on the care list 🙏. And a toast to everyone celebrating 🥂.

Take care,

St Louis Sal

• Like 22

Happy Earth Day!  Since the temps last night were sinking down to 33F I had to cover my poor crepe myrtle tree with a sheet using a long pole.  The tiny leaves beginning to pop out this week will thank me.  Over Easter weekend we had freezing overnight temps and the first set of tiny leaves on the tree died so we had to start over.  Didn't want that to happen twice.  So that is my contribution to Earth Day!🌎

I have not been to Portland, Maine but I know we will see some photos from Dailyites today.  The closest I've been to there was when the Rotterdam stopped in Bar Harbor, Maine in October, 2018 (Montreal to Tampa).

Happy 70th Birthday this weekend @cunnorl.  Sounds like it will be a fun one.

Congrats @kazuon your first jab appointment!  Glad you will be joining the "club"!

• Like 20

14 minutes ago, kazu said:

“They needed food, clothing & shelter but mostly love.  We showed them that human kindness will outdo hatred any day”

Thanks for that quote. I wish I could have seen the documentary. A friend of mine was coming back from a trip to Ireland with her husband when their plane was suddenly diverted to Gander. She said “ it wasn’t fun.” I think the worst part for them was the uncertainty, the not knowing what was going on. When the musical “Come from Away” played at the Fox here in St Louis, Betty was their special guest, getting to meet the cast and having a backstage tour. 

St Louis Sal

• Like 20

32 minutes ago, kazu said:

Thanks for the Daily, Rich and our morning smile 🙂 

Earth Day needs to be celebrated every day (it’s Earth Day here in Canada, too)

96DD4160-24C1-4C5D-8A9C-5CA8FF8D49E0.png.56113e35e77004c6d3302a03f7118863.png

Great to see Girl Scout Leaders recognized.

Love the Szasz quote

Raining here today.  It started last night and literally poured buckets.  Just as I was about to put the meat on the bbq, the skies opened.  We still had BBQ though.  I don’t melt 😉   

The meal sounds good but there’s been too much pasta of late.  Perhaps the sausage menu from the other day?  @cunnorlwhat a nice surprise and a great way to celebrate your big birthday 🙂. Wishing you a very happy birthday!

@rafinmdI’m sorry you couldn’t get the documentary last night.  It was really good.  While we took some planes here, there is no question that Gander was truly outstanding.  A town of 9,000 people taking in 7,000 and without the infrastructure to deal with that number of people or planes.  My quote of the day comes from the mayor of Gander:

Following up on potential weight issues after the pandemic quarantine and our clothes “hugging us”.

FF04BD77-86E4-4B95-883B-2A0995681EEE.thumb.jpeg.3c741a8e1b61917a8910b269b15a5b41.jpeg

Happy to say that I have secured an appointment for my first jab this weekend.  Yippee 🙂 

Prayers for everyone on Roy’s Care list & for those that need them and 🥂 to those on the Celebratory / Shout Out list.

5A6AD80B-3FD8-4332-9A14-6E5AB26BBE05.jpeg.10922ba382b4aad54900c1088b930ca2.jpeg

Have a great Thursday everyone!  Stay safe and please don’t forget your masks 😷 

Great news on getting your jab Jacqui!!

• Like 12

1 hour ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Will gladly celebrate Earth Day.  Planting another palm tree in honor.  Was a Girl Scout Leader many years ago.  Love jelly beans but they stick to my crowns so have given them up.  Great quote.  Today's meal sounds so yummy.  Looking forward to Debbie's recipe.

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stays safe, social distance, and please continue to wear your mask.

Kumquat-Ginger Caipirinha:

Ingredients
2 ounces cachaça (Leblon)
5 kumquats (sliced)
1 1/2 to 2 tablespoons sugar (superfine)
1 teaspoon ginger (fresh, chopped)
 Garnish: kumquat slice

Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
In an old-fashioned glass, place the kumquats, ginger, and sugar.
Muddle well.
Fill the glass with ice, then add the cachaça.
Stir well or shake it.
Garnish with a slice of kumquat.

Screen Shot 2021-04-22 at 7.00.53 AM.png

I will take a raincheck on that one!

• Like 5