Equinox Refurbishment

TMaine

Hello,

I see that Equinox went through a refurbishment in 2019.  Can anyone tell me what has changed?   We sailed on this ship a few years ago and will be sailing on it again in March 2022.  Thanks!

5 minutes ago, TMaine said:

Hello,

I see that Equinox went through a refurbishment in 2019.  Can anyone tell me what has changed?   We sailed on this ship a few years ago and will be sailing on it again in March 2022.  Thanks!

Several of the planned refurbishments did not take place.  However, there is a Retreat Sundeck for suite passengers.  Most rooms have new mattresses, linens, curtains, artwork, and newer but small chairs and tables on the veranda.  On the common areas, there is new artwork as well.  The best part is that the planned reduction of the Sky Lounge did not take place. 

New carpet and furniture in Passport bar featuring a couple of cute "pig" side tables. Furniture there is less comfortable to me than before. The balcony furniture is uncomfortable. as well. Retreat is accessible only by stairs and has very little shade, no bar and no water feature. Excellent service up there, however, with a nice light lunch menu.  Thankfully the library was not removed with inside cabins replacing it as was planned. And as above stated, no reduction of Sky Lounge as was planned.

• Like 1

Thanks for clarifying my statement. It is the Retreat Sundeck that is only accessible by stairs. The Retreat, formerly Michael's club, has been redone in mostly grey and now has uncovered windows for more light. Furniture is not very comfortable there either. 

As things are now I doubt they will make any more changes to  the sun deck. Yes, time was cut short because Equinox had to go to Spain for the refurb, instead of the Bahamas as was planned. A crane fill and destroyed the dock where the refurb was planned to take place.

4 hours ago, 39august said:

Thanks for clarifying my statement. It is the Retreat Sundeck that is only accessible by stairs. The Retreat, formerly Michael's club, has been redone in mostly grey and now has uncovered windows for more light. Furniture is not very comfortable there either. 

Did the changes makes you Hoppen mad?

• Haha 3

49 minutes ago, marieps said:

Did the changes makes you Hoppen mad?

Just wishin' and Hoppen and thinkin' and prayin'
Plannin' and dreamin' to get back on a ship this is the start
To get me back on a ship and the way to my heart

• Like 1

17 hours ago, 39august said:

As things are now I doubt they will make any more changes to  the sun deck. Yes, time was cut short because Equinox had to go to Spain for the refurb, instead of the Bahamas as was planned. A crane fill and destroyed the dock where the refurb was planned to take place.

The best change they could make to The Retreat sundeck is to return it to the general guests who enjoyed it, ourselves included, for many years on the S class. It was a peaceful haven away from the noise and bustle around the pool and on all of our cruises in sunny climates it was always busy. Now that it is the territory of suite guests I see nothing but complaints about lack of lift access, too hot due to lack of shade, lack of a pool etc etc and I gather it is under utilised. Give it back to those that appreciated it as it was!

19 hours ago, keesar said:

Several of the planned refurbishments did not take place.  However, there is a Retreat Sundeck for suite passengers.  Most rooms have new mattresses, linens, curtains, artwork, and newer but small chairs and tables on the veranda.  On the common areas, there is new artwork as well.  The best part is that the planned reduction of the Sky Lounge did not take place. 

Unfortunately the Retreat sundeck was a disappointment.  No water feature- no bar/restaurant-but waiter service.  The deck was hot and not really usable.  No shade-  We never used.  Our royal suite, had new carpet, drapes and maybe other "soft good" replacement.  The ship overall is in great shape-  The cabanas aka alcoves,  were redone and very comfortable.  A great ship.

Edited by Cruise a holic

3 minutes ago, Cruise a holic said:

Unfortunately the Retreat sundeck was a disappointment.  No water feature- no bar/restaurant-but waiter service.  The deck was hot and not really usable.  No shade-  We never used.  Our royal suite, had new carpet, drapes and maybe other "soft good" replacement.  The ship overall is in great shape-  The cabanas aka alcoves,  were redone and very comfortable.  A great ship.

Just as I said above!

9 minutes ago, BigAl94 said:

Just as I said above!

I used a comparision to the Edge and the new apex.  The suite deck on the Equinox- isn't really a plus- However, I did like like the suite lounge aka Michael's club- the only true negative is that the concierge had a podium and not a comfortable desk for the guests and the host.  Chairs IMO were fine.  

Edited by Cruise a holic

I haven't been on the refurbished Equinox, but based on what others have said, I'm glad two of the planned refurbs didn't happen because I was not in favour of them when they were first announced - reduction of sky lounge and removal of library.  So glad they're still there as before!

I also agree with @Happy Cruiser 6143 - why sacrifice comfort for looks (plus I love the term HoppenStupid 🤣)

12 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I was on the ship just before the renovations and then after.  It was sad before the renovations.  The common areas had less artwork than other S-Class ships and some displays were empty.  There is a big improvement since the renovation.  Although there is new furniture not he verandas, the table is tiny and the chairs are not comfortable as before.  As for the outdoor Retreat, I would have expected a hot tub or showers up there.  Hot and not many people using the facility.  As for the Library,  it had to be the smallest library  in terms of books of any Celebrity ship we have been on.  But at least it is still there.  

2 hours ago, keesar said:

As for the Library,  it had to be the smallest library  in terms of books of any Celebrity ship we have been on.  But at least it is still there.  

For me, the draw of tge library is  a quiet place to retreat to.  I wouldn't mind if they removed all books (I can bring my own). It was another quiet public space that I'll miss on other ships where it was removed.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Shadow9612 said:

For me, the draw of tge library is  a quiet place to retreat to.  I wouldn't mind if they removed all books (I can bring my own). It was another quiet public space that I'll miss on other ships where it was removed.

Never once used a library on any ship

Just now, LGW59 said:

Never once used a library on any ship

I think that's why I enjoyed the library.  I think it was hardly used by others :). So it was a nice space to spend 30 minutes in a public space that wasn't overwhelmed with people. 

Having said that.... The library, on a rainy day, over xmas, in the Caribbean - oh my. Taken over by kids. 🤪