WHEN DO YOU BELIEVE PRINCESS WULL BE SAILING FROM USA PORTS

mcrcruiser

23 hours ago, donaldsc said:

How?  Are they going to stop airline flights to the islands?  What else can they do?  Please be specific.  

DON

First of all, they can advise against traveling, which will scare away many individuals.  They could require mandatory testing before boarding a flight home.  If one is ill, they can require mandatory quarantine.

In fact, Israel has become a departure point for the Island Princess.  The State Department just today advised against travel to Israel.

They could also put pressure on the airlines to not fly to the destination. 

22 hours ago, nocl said:

Now where exactly has the CDC changed the requirements that they published in the CSO last November?  The only change was the publishing of a technical document to provide more guidance on the port agreement portion.

So where exactly has the CDC constantly changed the rules?

Where are any signs of the cruise lines completing any steps beyond safe crew transfer requirements?

There is now technical meetings taking place between the CDC and the cruise lines that were scheduled after the recent White House meeting.  The stated purpose of the meeting was for the cruise lines to present their top concerns with the CSO.

Test cruises required, then not required.  

Strict boarding timelines, then relaxed.

Restricts on how many people allowed on the gangway, then relaxed when it was pointed out that they do not require this in respect to airlines.

To require or not require vaccinations.

Patients have to quarantine upon returning, then they don’t.

The cruise industry could even deal with this, but this is only when they were specific and did not issue blank statements such as no cruising out of U.S. ports permitted. 

• Like 1

On 4/28/2021 at 1:46 PM, donaldsc said:

If the sailings don't sail out of US ports, how can the CDC stop sailings out of Nassau.  Nassau is an independent country and is not regulated by US regulations.

DON

The OP did not say anything about the CDC preventing the cruise, but did say not allowing US citizens from going on those cruises.

Big difference.

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

First of all, they can advise against traveling, which will scare away many individuals.  They could require mandatory testing before boarding a flight home.  If one is ill, they can require mandatory quarantine.

In fact, Israel has become a departure point for the Island Princess.  The State Department just today advised against travel to Israel.

They could also put pressure on the airlines to not fly to the destination. 

I looked up the Island Princess on the Princess WEB site.  Unless I missed them, I did not see any Island Princess cruises departing from ports in Israel.

DON

Royal Caribbean and Celebrity (owned by same company) say they can meet conditions are resume cruising from USA sometime in July.

Eliminating the requirement for "simulation voyages" eliminates about 60 days from a restart schedule.

Celebrity says they can be ready to sail within 30 days of other CDC requirements being met,

As far as Alaska this year, RCL says "that's a slightly complex one specifically with respect to Alaska because of course Canada has put in place a stop until throughout the season. And so in order to restart the Alaska season. We review it need a waiver from the passenger vessel services or Canada would have to allow at least technical stops. And we are working on both and others are working on both. But we can't be surely where that will end up. But I think given the momentum there is reason for some hope, but I think we're – that's a sufficiently complex and confusing situation. I don't think we're going to put odds on one way or the other."

• Like 2

6 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

In fact, Israel has become a departure point for the Island Princess.  

Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas is the cruise ship making Haifa a home port starting in May with three to seven-night journeys to the Greek Isles and Cyprus

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caribill said:

Royal Caribbean's Odyssey of the Seas is the cruise ship making Haifa a home port starting in May with three to seven-night journeys to the Greek Isles and Cyprus

Correct on Royal Caribbean which will allow only Israelis to take the cruise.  Incorrect on Island Princess.

DON

• Thanks 1

This is all to fluid a situation to make any concrete observations.

RCI is touting that they have over 80% of those making a booking that have been vaccinated.  I wonder how they know this? Rhetorically, are they asking during the booking process what their status is because we haven't been asked by Princess for all our 7 future bookings between July of this year and April of 2022.

My guess is that we are going to see a flurry of decisions made within the next couple of weeks so the ships can ramp up with final preparations for a July start-up.

8 hours ago, caribill said:

Celebrity says they can be ready to sail within 30 days of other CDC requirements being met,

Hi - where did you see this info about Celebrity?  That's interesting...

10 hours ago, donaldsc said:

I looked up the Island Princess on the Princess WEB site.  Unless I missed them, I did not see any Island Princess cruises departing from ports in Israel.

DON

My error, it will be RCCL

2 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

My error, it will be RCCL, and the other lines such as MSC will be increasing their stops in Israel. 

1 minute ago, stevenr597 said:

My error, it will be RCCL

You may have hit a nerve about the Island Princess and Israel. Israeli port schedules for this fall don't currently reflect the ship's currently published itineraries and it could be you are correct after all. We'll just have to wait and see.

1 hour ago, HS2BS said:

Celebrity has the Millennium sailing out of St. Maarten, beginning 6/5 - would not be hard to shift it to a US port by July.

Not very nice for the people who may have booked air flight to St. Maarten if the flights are not cancellable.

DON

• Like 1

I'm happy to see at least SOME hope of sailings starting up in the summer. I do wonder how they will go about the 95% passengers vaccinated, though. I have a Ruby sailing on August 7th and have received one shot so far. Since I'm in Canada, my next shot won't come until mid-August at the earliest...add to that, the fact that there are 2 kids on my booking that aren't eligible for vaccination. It will be interesting to see how this is handled (not that I expect to be sailing on this particular voyage anyways since Canada is plague central right now...)

Cruise ship crew began receiving COVID-19 vaccinations at Port Canaveral today, making it the first US port to facilitate vaccination for seafarers.

This became possible after Florida expanded vaccine eligibility to include individuals who are in the state for the purpose of providing goods or services to benefit residents and visitors. 

Edited by Syracusefan44
  • Like 2