Port Canaveral Vaccinating Cruise Ship Crews

Laminator

While I'm not a huge fan of DeSantis (and really ALL politicians of ALL parties have their flaws and things I will agree and disagree with them on), I do commend him for understanding the importance of the shipping industry, the cruise industry, and leisure travel as a whole, to the state of Florida and it's economy.  This is a good move for all parties involved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Good to hear.  Promising especially if it moved to Port Everglades 😉 

I wonder if something like this might be afoot.  Nieuw Statendam has been in port for a longer time than "normal".  Sailing today has been delayed from 1700 to 2200 when I checked this afternoon.  Why? 

Did anyone notice a mention in that article of which vaccine they are using in Port Canaveral?  I didn't.  I hope it's a one time shot for these crews which will make it so much easier to get the job done quickly.  

48 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Did anyone notice a mention in that article of which vaccine they are using in Port Canaveral?  I didn't.  I hope it's a one time shot for these crews which will make it so much easier to get the job done quickly.  

I didn’t hear on PC but read Galveston is giving Moderna.   The Vaccines are also being given to Port Workers and other Seafarers as well as the Crew from the Breeze and Vista.  

I watched Christine Duffy’s latest Video on YouTube.  She mentioned that the Carnival Paradise is in Barbados helping with relief efforts and the Crew is getting Vaccinated there.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wonder if something like this might be afoot.  Nieuw Statendam has been in port for a longer time than "normal".  Sailing today has been delayed from 1700 to 2200 when I checked this afternoon.  Why? 

I've been wondering if her longer than usual porting this time is a sign of her possibly crewing up! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

It's hard to see this in a negative light, I think, no matter one's thoughts on the governor.

The news is not being viewed in a "negative light" by me.  Surely, it is encouraging news to the benefit of many people.  Not just in Florida, but all of those international crew members who lost their jobs.  

It's sad a reflection on our society today that any of us would even consider thoughts on those "leaders" who have lead us since the Winter of 2020 through the maze where we think we see the end of this pandemic.  

5 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The news is not being viewed in a "negative light" by me.  Surely, it is encouraging news to the benefit of many people.  Not just in Florida, but all of those international crew members who lost their jobs.  

It's sad a reflection on our society today that any of us would even consider thoughts on those "leaders" who have lead us since the Winter of 2020 through the maze where we think we see the end of this pandemic.  

I wish we would vaccinate crew that is in our territory here in California, too.  I'd love to read that ships are in Long Beach and receiving vaccine. We've done really well here in our state with the pandemic.  My whole family is fully vaccinated now, as are all those I know who want to be.

Proud of my state in this regard.

1 hour ago, PoolSlider said:

Hawaii has been offering vaccinations to merchant mariners for months. 

That is because the federal government, and most states, have declared merchant mariners to be essential workers from the beginning of the pandemic, since 80+% of the world's commerce goes by sea.  I can see the logic in vaccinating foreign deck/engine crew on cruise ships, but I have a hard time rationalizing hotel crew as "essential".

• Like 2

21 hours ago, KirkNC said:

One also has to wonder about vaccinating crew for leisure activities whiles the world just set a record averaging over 800k new cases a day last week.

I was just reading an article about the high number of vaccination appointments in the US going unbooked due to vaccine hesitancy. Using excess vaccine to help restart one Florida’s sources of income could be better than throwing those doses out when they expire unused. Not to forget the crew who are getting vaccinated are mainly from third world countries where vaccines are scarce. 
I do have to agree with you though about the wisdom of resuming cruising in the midst of a global surge, though!

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 1

Nice to vaccinate the crews but how will they keep track, and when and where will they get their second dose?  Vaccinating someone with only one dose who will then leave on a Trans-Atlantic or world cruise is not very effective.

So let me try and figure this out. In order to get the cruise industry up and running the CDC is saying 98% of crew members must be vaccinated. In Florida the cruise industry is a billion dollar industry and responsible for thousands of jobs. I see the governor of Florida is being lauded here for allowing crew members to be vaccinated. And rightfully so. But in all honesty my 5 year old grandson could have put 2 and 2 together here. 

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I was just reading an article about the high number of vaccination appointments in the US going unbooked due to vaccine hesitancy. Using excess vaccine to help restart one Florida’s sources of income could be better than throwing those doses out when they expire unused. Not to forget the crew who are getting vaccinated are mainly from third world countries where vaccines are scarce. 
I do have to agree with you though about the wisdom of resuming cruising in the midst of a global surge, though!

Certainly better then throwing them away!

• Like 1

I don't think that the vaccine is like a loaf of bread. According to the Pfizer website the vaccine can last six months in a freezer or else have a 35 day shelf life on dry ice. This is for vaccine that has not been prepared for use.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/covid_19_vaccine_u_s_distribution_fact_sheet

4 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

I don't think that the vaccine is like a loaf of bread. According to the Pfizer website the vaccine can last six months in a freezer or else have a 35 day shelf life on dry ice. This is for vaccine that has not been prepared for use.

https://www.pfizer.com/news/hot-topics/covid_19_vaccine_u_s_distribution_fact_sheet

Sounds exactly like a loaf of bread. They also last six months in a freezer, but not so much at room temperature. Eventually though, the inevitable happens, and not all vaccines are Pfizer. The US has already sold millions of doses of AstraZeneca to Canada and Mexico so they can be used before they expire. 
Not that I’m complaining- it’s been quite a boost to our vaccination program with vaccines in short supply worldwide.

7 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

Nice to vaccinate the crews but how will they keep track, and when and where will they get their second dose?  Vaccinating someone with only one dose who will then leave on a Trans-Atlantic or world cruise is not very effective.

Which ships are going to sail on a Trans-Atlantic or world cruise from Florida in the next 4 weeks?  Plenty of time for the second shot [on the US timetable].

• Like 7

16 hours ago, taxmantoo said:

They could get the Johnson & Johnson vaccine that only requires one dose.

• Like 2