Crew Vaccinations starting in FL

Crzn-Life

Port Canaveral started vaccinating cruise ship crew yesterday. They were able to do that because the governor removed the requirement of FL residency for vaccine eligibility.  No Princess ships dock in Port Canaveral but hopefully Port Everglades and Miami will follow suit. It's exciting news. and hopefully is a major step toward getting cruising started again.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/cruises/2021/05/01/cruise-covid-vaccinations-port-canaveral/4905928001/

• Like 4

While seemingly admirable, I would prefer more doses be donated to India and Brazil ... where people are dying in record numbers, and cruising and other discretionary spending is the furthest thought in their minds

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, pms4104 said:

While seemingly admirable, I would prefer more doses be donated to India and Brazil ... where people are dying in record numbers, and cruising and other discretionary spending is the furthest thought in their minds

Are you some sort of humanitarian who cares about others?!?!?

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! 

I like to cruise.   Vaccines should go to cruise line crew so that I can.

Did I mention:

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! 

To avoid confusion, the above is sarcastic hyperbole, and not my actual opinion.

Although sadly, it does seem to summarize many of the opinions posted here.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

Are you some sort of humanitarian who cares about others?!?!?

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! 

I like to cruise.   Vaccines should go to cruise line crew so that I can.

Did I mention:

Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! Me! 

To avoid confusion, the above is sarcastic hyperbole, and not my actual opinion.

Although sadly, it does seem to summarize many of the opinions posted here.

Good point.....

Edited by hobbyfarmer2
  • Like 1

The vaccinations at the USA cruise ports will likely only go to the skeleton crews who are on these ships to keep then in operating condition until they can do cruises again. Having been at sea for a long time, these ships are currently virus free.

New crew members will need to be fully vaccinated before joining their ships. A cruise line does not want to bring unvaccinated crew members to a Covid-19 free environment, both to avoid any unvaccinated crew from infecting other unvaccinated crew and to avoid possibly introducing the virus to a virus free environment.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, pms4104 said:

$100m in supplies + 60m doses of AstraZeneca supposedly shipped out already to India. 2nd plane load took off from Travis today. Yes that's a drop in the bucket when they have a population of 1.4b

• Like 7

I am pleased to see crew being vaccinated if this means a billion dollar industry and jobs will be enabled to resume.  Of course we all want India to receive vaccines but I doubt a few thousand spent on crew will significantly change the outcome for 1.2 billion population.  
I hope the UK includes people living and working here temporarily in its vaccine programme.  

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Thrak said:

Wow. Just jump all over somebody for posting relevant information. What's up with that?

Are you replying to me?

I was in complete agreement with pms4104.

There are lots of people in the world dying because they don't have access to a vaccine.

Vaccinating crew, so that people can take leisure vacations ... that should be just slightly

behind saving the lives of many.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

With only 30% of the US vaccinated, I find it difficult to understand how/why we are voluntarily bringing foreigners here to be vaccinated for a non-essential industry.

Same. 
also just read articles about Canadians going to USA to get vaccinated there.  Sorry unable to post link. In the News today. 

Maybe we can take the doses that are getting ready to expire, put them on a tug, head out toward a cruise ship with crew ... then just dump them in the ocean so nobody gets the benefit of them

except for polluting the ocean, that seems to be the opinion of some 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Don’t forget- sometimes the number of unvaccinated is high because individuals have decided not to get the shot. We have drugstores with signs on the door offering shots to anyone over 16. No appointment.

Glad crew can get shots.

• Like 7

23 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Maybe we can take the doses that are getting ready to expire, put them on a tug, head out toward a cruise ship with crew ... then just dump them in the ocean so nobody gets the benefit of them

except for polluting the ocean, that seems to be the opinion of some 

If Florida has so many doses "ready to expire", that shows some gross mismanagement of either taking delivery of excess doses, or improper storage.  And, what precludes Florida from sending those doses to other states that may need, and want, them.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

If Florida has so many doses "ready to expire", that shows some gross mismanagement of either taking delivery of excess doses, or improper storage.  And, what precludes Florida from sending those doses to other states that may need, and want, them.

Could also be indicative of hitting a wall respecting the number of Floridians willing to be vaccinated or access to vaccinations.

• Like 9

I have to agree with pms4140. The vaccines are desperately needed in Brazil and India. Each infected person could infect several others! Lives are at stake.

Yes, there is a surplus of vaccine in several states. Perhaps, the federal government should stop issuing vaccine to those states? Currently, 22% of distributed vaccine have not been administered. That's worth >60 million doses. Could have saved a lot of lives in Brazil and India if administered last month.

https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/graphics/2021/01/14/covid-vaccine-distribution-by-state-how-many-covid-vaccines-have-been-given-in-us-how-many-people/6599531002/

The top performer is New Hampshire. 60% of the population have received at least one dose. 86% of the state's inventory has been administered.

The worst performing state has only vaccinated 31% of the population. Distributing only 64% of their inventory. What are they going to do with the remaining vaccines?

1 hour ago, dog said:

Same. 
also just read articles about Canadians going to USA to get vaccinated there.  Sorry unable to post link. In the News today. 

Yes, but you might also have posted that a number of US border states/towns are offering to vaccinate their cross-border neighbors - especially truck drivers and where border communities mix for work, etc.

Thanks to USA, our vaccinations might move along just a little better now and get us closer to the day Trudeau will agree to re-open the border.

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

Could also be indicative of hitting a wall respecting the number of Floridians willing to be vaccinated or access to vaccinations.

And, this could not have been predicted?  Even at normal freezer temperatures or in their storage boxes, the vaccine lasts 30 days.  That's not enough time to predict usage?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

And, this could not have been predicted?  Even at normal freezer temperatures or in their storage boxes, the vaccine lasts 30 days.  That's not enough time to predict usage?

Works here in Canada where we make appointments, running out of vaccines,  even with a few pop up clinics we have people wanting to get vaccinated. 

anyway, we have no say-   Cruise industry will decide this. 

2 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

With only 30% of the US vaccinated, I find it difficult to understand how/why we are voluntarily bringing foreigners here to be vaccinated for a non-essential industry.

There is a large segment the of the US population that will not take the vaccine for whatever reason.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, chengkp75 said:

Math is easy if the everyone is all eager to get vaccinated, not so much if it’s hitting the hesitancy wall.  It’s hard to forecast when exactly people will change their mind from hesitant to willing.

19 minutes ago, dog said:

Works here in Canada where we make appointments, running out of vaccines,  even with a few pop up clinics we have people wanting to get vaccinated. 

IMO, Canada will be in a surplus situation in August...

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2774089-the-debbie-downers-have-been-right-all-along/page/20/?tab=comments#comment-61048189

As chengkp75 pointed out, vaccines have a limited storage life. So, we will have to plan ahead about what to do with our surplus. Definitely don't want to waste any!

• Thanks 1