Are you allowed to bring a walking stick onboard?

5 minutes ago, pampaul said:

Just curious, as it helps with the arthritis in my knee.  Thanks.

I don't see any reason why that would be prohibited. It's really no different than a cane, except for length. I have one that comes apart into three sections that fits in my carry-on.

Edited by orville99

I can not imagine that a walking stick would be a problem.... so many passengers have canes ... so I don't see why this would be a problem... They do have issues with items that could start a fire... like rice cookers, steamers, irons...that sort of thing... now if you brought a baseball bat... perhaps that might raise an eyebrow or two. If you have any concerns you might call just to be 100% certain

If it's a hollow cane that comes apart they will inspect it. I've even seen a few with a knife.

Just as long as it's a solid piece of wood they wouldnt care. My sister uses one and at times has had a few questionable canes I wouldnt bring on.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

If it's a hollow cane that comes apart they will inspect it. I've even seen a few with a knife.

Just as long as it's a solid piece of wood they wouldnt care. My sister uses one and at times has had a few questionable canes I wouldnt bring on.

They have NEVER inspected any of  my canes-from US. Ports.  Of course, no problem if they want to inspect any of them further.      Two  are hollow and come apart and one does not.  Baltimore is the most cautious port (they will inspect carry on wine bottles) , and they never batted an eye. 

Maybe there is some sort of cane that is a red flag for security.  

m

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

They have NEVER inspected any of  my canes-from US. Ports.  Of course, no problem if they want to inspect any of them further.      Two  are hollow and come apart and one does not.  Baltimore is the most cautious port (they will inspect carry on wine bottles) , and they never batted an eye. 

m

They have inspected my sisters. Miami was the port we got the closest scrutiny, though I had regular $1 scissors taken away. Only smaller sewing are allowed they told me. Also a extension cord, her canes passed.

In miami had to go over to a stand where everything was removed in my carry on. My cans of coke inspected. They inspected everyone who carried on some drinks. Just random luck.

Edited by firefly333

Knee and back problems.

I have brought a simple folding cane from the local Pharmacy on cruises for almost 20 years. 

Get one with a wrist loop to avoid dropping it .

It folds easily and I bring it in a backpack or even cargo shorts when in ports. If I need it, it unfolds in 1 second and it's ready. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

They have inspected my sisters. Miami was the port we got the closest scrutiny, though I had regular $1 scissors taken away. Only smaller sewing are allowed they told me. Also a extension cord, her canes passed.

In miami had to go over to a stand where everything was removed in my carry on. My cans of coke inspected. They inspected everyone who carried on some drinks. Just random luck.

I guess it is good they are careful. 
m

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

My wife had a nail file taken away once.

10 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife had a nail file taken away once.

I wanted to argue if I was going to stab someone I'd just take a steak knife at dinner and slide it into my lap to use when they took my scissors. 

I think was customs lady who told me they took my 9 foot extension cord, so I couldnt hang myself. I wasnt sure if she was joking or not. Thank you so florida. Maybe I look like a trouble maker.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

I wanted to argue if I was going to stab someone I'd just take a steak knife at dinner and slide it into my lap to use when they took my scissors. 

I think was customs lady who told me they took my 9 foot extension cord, so I couldnt hang myself. I wasnt sure if she was joking or not. Thank you so florida. Maybe I look like a trouble maker.

I think that personal appearance has to do with how one is treated by customs.Many years ago I was crossing the boarder from Canada to the US.I had shoulder length hair and a beard nearly as long.My luggage was checked and when the found white powder in a plastic bag they drew their guns only to find out it was coffee lightener.

I walk with a cane, but I always bring a 3 piece walking stick that screws together and I have never been stopped to have it inspected. It is great to be able to just pack it in your luggage and then viola, you have a 5 foot walking stick when needed. I always use it when we go off the ship, rather than my cane.

Cheer's

Len

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

That's really silly to take away an extension cord because of hanging concerns.  One can hang oneself with just a sheet.  Are they going to remove all bedding from the cabins?  I believe they are not allowed onboard due to electrical overload but not hanging.  

5 hours ago, ace2542 said:

That is an interesting statement to make Why is it like that do you think?

I have no idea. In the past few years, they’ve asked us to remove our carry-on wine and examined it carefully.   If I recall, my husband had to remove his belt. 

m

48 minutes ago, cruisegirl1 said:

I have no idea. In the past few years, they’ve asked us to remove our carry-on wine and examined it carefully.   If I recall, my husband had to remove his belt. 

m

I think it has to do with the security person at the time.  I brought a Magnum in a carry on once and they didn't say anything like it can only be 750 ml bottles.  I've seen a table full of confiscated items though -- some things pass some of the time and some don't depending on security that day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, livingonthebeach said:

That's really silly to take away an extension cord because of hanging concerns.  One can hang oneself with just a sheet.  Are they going to remove all bedding from the cabins?  I believe they are not allowed onboard due to electrical overload but not hanging.  

You can hang yourself with the lanyards that they sell all over the ship.

I brought a 4 piece cane once when I needed one. It accidentally fell out of my purse on onto the floor in the elevator. We all kind of watched in awe as those super elastics whipped it in to a cane shape on the floor. It was a little scary to watch. I picked up when it was done transforming. :classic_biggrin::classic_smile::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

On 5/2/2021 at 11:31 AM, cruisegirl1 said:

m

I injured myself on a cruise, they gave me a wheelchair to use the rest of the cruise... 

Returning to the ship from an excursion (ship provided excursion), they inspected the wheelchair!! I thought they were going to disassemble Johnny 5...
They decided against it when they realized it was a medical wheelchair from RC, but they did discuss it