The Daily for Saturday May 08, 2021

richwmn

Thank you for the wonderful pictures of the Beagle Channel yesterday and of Oman today. Prayer for all on the care list and toasting all on the celebration list.

Our Walking Iris is blooming here in FL.712473686_20210410_103215(2).thumb.jpg.42f9271cc81536c1d5fccfe3db3c2473.jpg

• Like 24

I had to look up creme de mure as well and found a recipe for it.  

https://www.atipsygiraffe.com/blackberry-liqueur/

It looks easy enough to make.  And, you can use vodka or gin to make it.  Perhaps a use for that underwhelming gin, @ger_77?

creme-de-mure-homemade-blackberry-liqueur-2.thumb.jpg.5325024da69e36475d566f6b2216e080.jpg

This is the creme de mure.

And this the creme de mure in a Bramble cocktail.

creme-de-mure-homemade-blackberry-liqueur-in-bramble-cocktail-1.thumb.jpg.c2e60c3473c83baed123daa819c6fa0d.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

Good morning. Thanks for the Daily.

All good days. Especially saluting military spouses and child care providers. 

I like the meal and wine. I'm not much for gin.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

It's sprinkling out and in the 40's. I'd hoped to mow the lawn this afternoon but it may be too wet.

@StLouisCruisers I'm glad things are going well for your sister.

@garlictown I hope things get better. Way back when I had my shoulder surgery in 1991 they kept me in the hospital just for pain management. I had no hardware, but I do have titanium in my eye socket and it doesn't set off alarms.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe everyone.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Daycare, tubas and Irises, what a combo. As working parents we relied upon daycare when our children were small and even when they were in elementary school.  

Prayers for @garlictown and @StLouisCruisers’s sister. 

I will pass on the meal suggestion today. Last night I made sour cream green chili enchiladas with leftover chicken. They were quick and easy, so we will probably finish those today. I also need to revise my Mother’s Day menu to something more simple, my ear has been giving me fits and still draining and I haven’t felt like doing much. I can’t get into my doctor until next Thursday and that is with the NP, so I went back to urgent care last night and was told that it looks like it’s healing. I also made an appointment with the ENT but can’t get in until July. I’ll wait and see what the NP says. 

Have a great day everyone!

Here is another picture from the Bellagio:

6566DE8D-DF3D-4810-8DB1-ED5026102164.thumb.jpeg.9f7b1a1a3b1943ba4ccd360d85220b07.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

The workmen were here past dark working to fix the water main.  After it got dark they set up those big lights.  Here's hoping they finished last night and that my neighbors down the street have water again.  

It is a gray day here and kind of chilly.  I don't think we're supposed to have rain all day, just gloomy.  

Today's meal would be ok without the carrots.  For stews like this I have to have very carefully trimmed meat.  All the fat has to be gone.  I guess I am a bit picky about it.  That led to many fights at the dinner table when I was a kid.  Add in that my sister didn't like mushrooms and my brother didn't like celery and my mother would throw up her hands and say she wasn't a short order cook and we should eat what was served.

https://damndelicious.net/2020/02/29/best-ever-beef-stew/

Best-Ever-Beef-StewIMG_1367.jpg

Best-Ever-Beef-StewIMG_1372.jpg

I’ll eat your carrots 😂

• Like 6
  • Haha 4

Thanks for the update. Both Rich's Beef Stew and Roy's Spicy Chicken sound great. I never met a beef stew I didn't like but my preference for "best ever" is still a Guninness Beef Stew".

It was a cool moring here, almost ten degrees (F) cooler than yesterday but is shaping up to be a delightful day.

Edited by jimgev
  • Like 12

Good morning and it is a good morning - cool and clear with the high today in the low 70's. My Iris are blooming (at least some of them) and since the deer don't like them I should have some color around the building for a little while. The grass is coming back well after I finally got the sprinklers going so all is right with my world. The painters are supposed to start on our building on Monday. Now if that patio door would just show up. Meanwhile, I continue to work on the interior of the condo. I am starting to eye the kitchen for renovation, but am not sure I am up to it.

Have not been to today's port or others in that region. On to the Bucket list it goes.

My best wishes to all on the care list. We have all got to get or stay healthy. Cruise times are coming!!!

Susan

• Like 15

Good morning and thanks all!  
@StLouisCruisers good news about your sister! 
@Seasick Sailor  oh,  those naughty hawks!  Somehow if they’re eating a mouse or a fish it doesn’t bother me....  lucky you can go to Pappadeaux,  my DH adores their jambalaya.    

We’re in for a rainy weekend that is much needed.  May showers bring June flowers

3FC11D5D-D514-48AD-8C33-8A91F1F2B1EE.jpeg

973EEAC6-D82D-4838-AC5E-A305F07B123D.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24

Thanks for the information and lists. Dreary day here in SW Ontario. I am so tired of the early spring weather....we should be getting late spring by now. 12ºC is NOT my kind of May weather! Have a blessed day! Prayers for those who need them.

• Like 13

👍Thank You, Rich, for the Daily and Roy I really appreciate your Care List!😊

Oman on the Bucket List and all Caregivers are special people.😇 Malbec from Argentina are a favorite🍷...just not right now, lol.🤓

I'd like to wish an early Mother's Day to those celebrating in the CC Family and continued prayers for all in need.🙏

Katie.....husband is my Caregiver and I'm trying not to act like a child!😳

FB_IMG_1620478636856.jpg

• Like 16

Thanks Rich and good wishes to all for a great weekend. My oldest son will be here soon. I have a list of projects for his visit. Nothing very hard but some projects just take more then two hands. 

• Like 12

Good morning, Dailyites, and thanks for all the very interesting posts.  I think some garden cleanup will be on the agenda for today, we had a big windstorm yesterday, and rain, and Mother Nature did quite a lot of pruning, which we will have to rake up.  DD has finally got all her dahlia roots into the ground.  They have been all over the house for weeks, and guess who had to spritz them with water regularly?  I am hoping she will be like me and just mulch them and  leave them in the ground for the winter.  If they don't survive, tough!

I have buds on my irises,  but no flowers yet.  There are some blooming around the complex though.  I am still enjoying my lilac and its scent.

I will be thinking of all my friends here on CC and saying prayers for those who need them.

• Like 15

Good Morning.

Today I go for my first covid shot.  It seems like a long time coming.

My garden is in between the various iris blooming.  The mini ones that come in the early spring have been finished for a while.  The white ones in the photo below have not shown any sign of buds.  I am waiting anxiously for the bearded iris that I have scattered through the garden to bloom.  Since putting them in my garden a couple of years ago they have yet to bloom, and I can't remember which colours I bought.

Here is a sampling of iris that are in my garden from days gone by.

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Val

• Like 20

Good Afternoon Everyone from a bright and warm day at the beach.

I am late to the party today. Played golf early this AM with my DS and DN. Great fun!  It was surprisingly cool this AM. Very unusual for this time of year, but perfect for golf.

DD and DS both had their 2nd shot yesterday and are doing well. Yeah!!!

A really huge salute to military spouses. They certainly deserve more than 1 day. 

An Iris is a beautiful plant but too hot and salty here to grow.

StLouisCruisers-  Continued prayers and strong thoughts for your sister and the entire family.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 13

Good Afternoon Everyone from a bright and warm day at the beach.

I am late to the party today. Played golf early this AM with my DS and DN. Great fun!  It was surprisingly cool this AM. Very unusual for this time of year, but perfect for golf.

DD and DS both had their 2nd shot yesterday and are doing well. Yeah!!!

A really huge salute to military spouses. They certainly deserve more than 1 day. 

An Iris is a beautiful plant but too hot and salty here to grow.

StLouisCruisers-  Continued prayers and strong thoughts for your sister and the entire family.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dismomx5 said:

Thanks for the information and lists. Dreary day here in SW Ontario. I am so tired of the early spring weather....we should be getting late spring by now. 12ºC is NOT my kind of May weather! Have a blessed day! Prayers for those who need them.

I fully agree can't wait for next Tuesday night when they are forecasting the possible last danger of frost so I can finish planting the gardens ......... That's about the only thing I am so far allowed to do in my spare time .........

Tony 😀

• Like 11

Happy Saturday! I salute military spouses & caregivers! And i love iris, and the ladies that gifted me with the original bulbs.

DH has completed his third week in the hospital and may well be there for a fourth. The oncologist wants him to get stronger before moving to rehab. He's not happy about that, but he's healing well, so I'll stick with the doctor's recommendation.

@StLouis Cruiser I'm glad your sister is doing better. DH got some of the "good stuff" in the ICU & was telling me about the polka dots on the wall and mist coming out of the air vents. I just told him his eyes were better than mine!

• Like 17

Good afternoon everyone. I almost forgot to post here today. We were watching our 9th grade grandson compete in a high school technology contest in all of Philadelphia. He was a finalist and the only freshman.

Looking forward to celebrating all child care workers and especially mothers who have had such a hard job this year.

Stay safe.

Carol

• Like 16

Good afternoon.  I'm not sure what is going on with the weather.  It will be in the 80s F today, but with 20-30mph winds and gusts even higher.  Maybe tomorrow, I will be able to get out in the yard to do some work and to mow the grass/weeds.  So far the weed killer(s) I've used have not worked.  Beginning tomorrow afternoon, we are looking possible thunderstorms for a couple of days, and much cooler, unspring like temperatures.

Childcare providers and military wives deserve recognition.  I was a Army wife for two years, but DH was at Picatinny Arsenal in Dover, NJ, the entire time.

I like the quote, and hope the "but not yet" part lasts a while longer.😀

The meal sounds good, but I have Cuban Black Beans and Rice cooking in the Instant Pot on the slow cooker function.  It has taken me a while to realize that it comes up to temperature slowly.  I guess the old slow cooker did too, but it did not have a blinking light to indicate where it was in the heating cycle.

@smitty34877  I also tried the French Chicken Casserole, and while we liked the taste, it had way too much thin juice even though I followed the directions.  I am planning on giving it one more try, but may not put as much liquid in it.

When I saw the drink of the day used gin, I realized that it was not for me.  However, with vodka, it is another story.  I''m fairly sure I had the wine of the day on a BHB and liked it.

We have not been to Muscat, Oman.  It is on the itinerary for the Coral Princess world cruise next year, but it's looking a little less likely that it will sail.  DH read the other day that the Australians are saying they may not be full open until toward the end of 2022.  To hedge our bets, last week, we booked the 2023 world cruise too.  Maybe @daisybertie can keep us posted about the situation there as things change.

@GeorgeCharlie  Thank you for posting the pictures of Oman and for the recommendation of the tour company and the guide.  Do you think it is safe for us to wander around Muscat on our own?  I know a lot will depend on the situation in that part of the world in a year or two.

@Seasick Sailor  I'm sorry you found another painted bunting.  They are such pretty birds.  I looked them up, and most of Texas is in their breeding territory.  Even so, I still have not seen one.

@Lcubed Your walking iris are lovely.  @Overhead Fred and @bennybear  All your iris are pretty too.

Like so many of you, iris are my favorite flower, and I love all the purple ones.  I only have bearded iris, and they finished blooming a week or so ago.  This year, they did not all bloom at the same time, and about half did not bloom.  I'll have to work on them soon.

These are the ones that bloomed first and best.  Twenty-one years ago, I started with many different varieties of purple iris, but having thinned them over the years, and not being able to tell the colors from the rhizomes, this is the color that is most prominent in my flowerbeds.

DSC09243.thumb.JPG.308675e3f3fc380f9ee3fb113eed19cc.JPG

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22

@St. Louis Sal  I've had this on my refrigerator for many, many years, and I think of you and Fritz whenever I look at it. 

I found it in a magazine a long time ago.  This was our Brandy's attitude about life.  Our Nikki was just easy going and appreciated everything she got and we did for and with her.  Both have been gone many years. I still miss them, but have such good memories of both.

jpg177.thumb.jpg.dbe1b95430fa6b1f74050f972879277e.jpg

Lenda

• Like 14
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

Daycare, tubas and Irises, what a combo. As working parents we relied upon daycare when our children were small and even when they were in elementary school.  

Prayers for @garlictown and @StLouisCruisers’s sister. 

I will pass on the meal suggestion today. Last night I made sour cream green chili enchiladas with leftover chicken. They were quick and easy, so we will probably finish those today. I also need to revise my Mother’s Day menu to something more simple, my ear has been giving me fits and still draining and I haven’t felt like doing much. I can’t get into my doctor until next Thursday and that is with the NP, so I went back to urgent care last night and was told that it looks like it’s healing. I also made an appointment with the ENT but can’t get in until July. I’ll wait and see what the NP says. 

Have a great day everyone!

Here is another picture from the Bellagio:

Sharon, I am sorry your ear is still causing issues. Praying it heals - fast!

• Like 7