Travel Insurance Without Vaccination

I understand that some people are reluctant to have the vaccine in order to cruise for whatever reason they have. However cruising without the vaccination will surely increase the cost of travel insurance to astronomical prices. Agree or disagree?

8 minutes ago, OldSeaDog1969 said:

I understand that some people are reluctant to have the vaccine in order to cruise for whatever reason they have. However cruising without the vaccination will surely increase the cost of travel insurance to astronomical prices. Agree or disagree?

Some travel insurers in Europe are considering not insuring non vaccinated travelers -- if that happens and they do that here as well (although some US states are banning companies from asking) the cost might not go up that high. 

2 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Some travel insurers in Europe are considering not insuring non vaccinated travelers -- if that happens and they do that here as well (although some US states are banning companies from asking) the cost might not go up that high. 

My guess is the people who won't vaccinate are the same ones who in the past generally haven't bought insurance. 

• Like 1

Just now, yogimax said:

Those who refuse to be vaccinated, not those who cannot be vaccinated, should not receive insurance.  

But where do you draw the line?  Some cannot for religious and philosophical reasons.  Who is to be the judge?  And who verifies if the medical conditions for not being vaccinated are justified?  Will be difficult to sort out IMO. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

But where do you draw the line?  Some cannot for religious and philosophical reasons.  Who is to be the judge?  And who verifies if the medical conditions for not being vaccinated are justified?  Will be difficult to sort out IMO. 

Many places do not recognize religious or philosophical objections. 

I honestly don’t know how all this will play out re vaccines and travel insurance. I do know however that the hospitals in my area of which I am on staff, will not allow religious exemption for seasonal Flu vaccine, they have let everyone know post FDA approval this fall (expected) Covid vaccine will also be a non negotiable requirement. 

i would imagine precedence such  as these may play a factor in the way vaccines are viewed by other businesses.  

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

I honestly don’t know how all this will play out re vaccines and travel insurance. I do know however that the hospitals in my area of which I am on staff, will not allow religious exemption for seasonal Flu vaccine, they have let everyone know post FDA approval this fall (expected) Covid vaccine will also be a non negotiable requirement. 

Not allowing exemptions is the easiest and safest approach, however there will always be dissenters. I certainly wouldn't want my insurance rates to go up due to people providing false documentation (although this is already happening with auto insurance and homeowners in my area).  Should be interesting how the insurers will handle the vaccines going forward. 

3 minutes ago, livingonthebeach said:

Not allowing exemptions is the easiest and safest approach, however there will always be dissenters. I certainly wouldn't want my insurance rates to go up due to people providing false documentation (although this is already happening with auto insurance and homeowners in my area).  Should be interesting how the insurers will handle the vaccines going forward. 

Yes, absolutely. This topic will be just one of many “side bars” that come out of this entire situation. 
So many potential policies, so many variables.  

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, mek said:

My guess is the people who won't vaccinate are the same ones who in the past generally haven't bought insurance. 

Perhaps a generalization...but we have had an annual policy with Allianz for the past 7 years and we will be among the non-vaxxed.  We do have medical exemptions/contradictions so that may mediate it to some degree.  I had not considered this question so it's a good one for me.  My annual policy is due for renewal in June.  I will do this sooner rather than later just in case.

2 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

Perhaps a generalization...but we have had an annual policy with Allianz for the past 7 years and we will be among the non-vaxxed.  We do have medical exemptions/contradictions so that may mediate it to some degree.  I had not considered this question so it's a good one for me.  My annual policy is due for renewal in June.  I will do this sooner rather than later just in case.

Do you buy it direct from Allianz or through a broker like insuremytrip.com?

22 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Will insurance even cover an issue related to covid vaccinated or not.  

Last year our Allianz insurance covered limited issues relating to COVID.

image.png.3940ee6d8b5d275ada9ac0aa093ac990.png

Whether they will do the same this year is yet to be seen.  I will be calling them soon as my policy is up for renewal in June.  

1 hour ago, mek said:

Well with COVID I can tell you that the cruise lines won't be messing around. If they have to disembark a passenger they will. They recently did this with some crew members on the Odyssey of the Seas. Some of the costs associated like an evacuation can cost upwards of $50,000. Personally i think if you're not vaccinated for whatever reason & you cruise without insurance you're going to be hit with a massive bill if you get COVID.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OldSeaDog1969 said:

Well with COVID I can tell you that the cruise lines won't be messing around. If they have to disembark a passenger they will. They recently did this with some crew members on the Odyssey of the Seas. Some of the costs associated like an evacuation can cost upwards of $50,000. Personally i think if you're not vaccinated for whatever reason & you cruise without insurance you're going to be hit with a massive bill if you get COVID.

Oh, I agree - but the people who will cry the most if that happens are probably the same ones who never buy cancellation insurance and then when they have an emergency, expect the cruise lines to make an exception and give them a refund, "just this once."

1 hour ago, OldSeaDog1969 said:

First off, I don't think anyone is cruising without a vaccine shot unless you are 12 and under.  That being said, Royal has you covered should you require evacuation.  

Screen Shot 2021-05-25 at 11.43.19 AM.png

I purchased CFAR Trip Insurance for our upcoming cruise, there was not questions related to the vaccine (I am vaccinated and planned on answering).  We always buy through insuremytrip so I was surprised it wasn't there.  May be in the fine print (as shown above) to cover themselves.

S

Honestly, I don’t see unvaccinated cruisers raising the costs of insurance that much. The industry won’t be able to tolerate lots of Covid cases. If there starts to be so many cases that the insurers are hurting, there won’t be any more unvaccinated passengers. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, not-enough-cruising said:

i would imagine precedence such  as these may play a factor in the way vaccines are viewed by other businesses.  

What exactly is a "philosophical objection"? Seem like a bunch of hooey to me.

• Like 2

Maybe I'm over simplifying, but why not allow everyone to purchase travel insurance and let those who are vaccinated volunteer their vaccine proof for a lower rate?  The companies would not prevent anyone from getting insurance and they would also not be asking for proof to get insurance.