Do you think there will be a time soon when no vaccine is required to cruise?

My feeling now is different than 2 months ago. I think cruises should be 100% vaccinated for all passengers that an be vaccinated. No excuses why or why not, if you are over 11 (current minimum age), you must be vaccinated or you don't board. It is as simple as that. Why should the cruise lines and the passengers have to worry about "you" on their vacation. The non-vaccinated have other options. Do those instead. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

There is only one Carnival ship in Alaska, as mentioned in the article you link, and it is doing the full vaccination option, as are every other ship I have heard announce for Alaska. The other Carnival ship(s) based out of the other, non-Alaska, US ports seem to have to do the test cruises, probably to work with the Florida lawsuit.

Oh I see now, because of the headline my mind thought the whole topic was about Alaska. But I guess it is still a sort of segregation. Some ships and some routes will be vaccinated only and others be more flexible with the vaccine requirements.

On 5/31/2021 at 7:14 PM, goldengirl123 said:

I am hoping for early 2023 is when I'll be back cruising again.  Wishful thinking?  What do you think?  Are you waiting for this time just like me?

Most likely COVID will have died out by 2023 - very few plagues last more than two or three years — but the way for thinking people to expedite that is to get the shots:  a win-win — either you expedite the passing of COVID or you will be among those not so negatively impacted.

Not too hard for an intelligent person to figure out.

• Like 3

Vaccinations make sense when your clientele is older and venerable. Cruise lines already have to deal with enough emergencies and passings while underway (pretty sure I seen one on my last Panorama cruise in Mazatlan, though they did their best to keep it covered/private). Eliminating a major venerability/exposure potential makes a lot of sense. They don't need bad press, sick passengers, and even worse, dead passengers. Covid targets their bread and butter. Vaccines protect their bread and butter. Simple.       

Edited by cruisingguy007
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, cruisingguy007 said:

Vaccinations make sense when your clientele is older and venerable. Cruise lines already have to deal with enough emergencies and passings while underway (pretty sure I seen one on my last Panorama cruise in Mazatlan, though they did their best to keep it covered/private). Eliminating a major venerability/exposure potential makes a lot of sense. They don't need bad press, sick passengers, and even worse, dead passengers. Covid targets their bread and butter. Vaccines protect their bread and butter. Simple.       

This is a good point.  I hadn't really thought about it that way, but now that you said it, seems to make pretty good sense.  

20 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I’d rather be “venerable” than “vulnerable.”

Well, I'm vaccinated so at least not vulnerable.  I'm venerated by by grandson who is pushing 2 years old.  Other than him, not so much.  haha.   

22 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Most likely COVID will have died out by 2023 - very few plagues last more than two or three years — but the way for thinking people to expedite that is to get the shots:  a win-win — either you expedite the passing of COVID or you will be among those not so negatively impacted.

Not too hard for an intelligent person to figure out.

By July 24,2023 nobody will be posting on CC about Covid.Instead the posts will be about wonderful cruises that they have booked .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lenquixote66 said:

By July 24,2023 nobody will be posting on CC about Covid.Instead the posts will be about wonderful cruises that they have booked .

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

tipping, chair hogs, booze smuggling - all the good stuff. 

Those days can't get here fast enough!  

• Like 2

Last Friday, I booked a cruise for November 2021.  The travel agent and the cruise line never mentioned a vaccine requirement.  They never asked about my status.  I am un-vaccinated.  Here in Florida, most places I go, people are not wearing masks.  I will let you know how my cruise experience goes.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Last Friday, I booked a cruise for November 2021.  The travel agent and the cruise line never mentioned a vaccine requirement.  They never asked about my status.  I am un-vaccinated.  Here in Florida, most places I go, people are not wearing masks.  I will let you know how my cruise experience goes.

good luck with that one. I recall last summer when there where many people boasting about their July and august cruise that the cruise line assured them would sail. They all got cancelled on. 

23 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

If you cruise,that is.

27 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Nice try...

Read your cruise line invoice as well as expanded T&Cs you’ll find on its website. By placing a fare deposit, you’ve already agreed to abide by the cruise line’s decisions regarding health and safety (whether stated now or later). 

FYI (if your cruise embarks in Florida),  Florida’s Governor is already working on language to exempt cruise lines from his idiotic “no vaccine passport” rule.

Other than that, check out the “travel advisories” on your cruise line’s website. For example, all the NCLH lines have clearly stated: “No vaccine? No cruise!”

• Like 1

So here is some reality for the unvaccinated.  Their options are going to be limited.  Yes, they may be able to get on some cruise lines but they will need to shell out money for tests (perhaps several).  And they may not be able to get off the ship in most ports (still a question mark) or perhaps they will need to get retested every 3 days (for a price).  Then when they return to the States they will need to again get tested (at this time so does everyone who wants to fly).  The cost of constant testing can add up, especially if going to a country that requires a PCR test (these can cost $100 - $300 per test).

But the really worse scenario for the unvaccinated is that they have a fair chance of contracting COVID and if it happens on their trip it is a real bummer.  You are talking about being put in quarantine for days, being denied access to public transportation for weeks/months, etc.  And that assumes it is a mild case. If it becomes a more serious case there are medical bills and many policies do not cover COVID outside the USA (make sure to check the insurance fine print).

And even worst scenario is being put off the ship at a foreign port because the ship's physician says you need hospitalization.   Even with insurance the way it works is you must pay the hospitals and physicians and later seek reimbursement (it can take months).  We live in Puerto Vallarta during the winter and we know of one "gringo" whose hospital/medical bills in one of our local Mexican hospitals totally over $200,000.  That is not the norm (you are normally talking a few thousand dollars) but it did happen...all because of COVID.  And all this to avoid a free vaccine?  Go figure.  The person who got that sick in Puerto Vallarta had no vaccine option (there were no vaccines at that time).   We also spent the winter, unvaccinated, at our PV home.  But we had the sense to take out a $million dollar medical policy....just in case!

The OP might want to read about Jon Rahm, the unvaccinated professional golfer forced to drop out of a PGA tournament yesterday where he was ahead by 6 strokes.  Not being vaccinated likely cost him about $1.6 million.  Ouch.

Hank

• Like 1

Hi Hank, I saw that yesterday.........from what I heard he had come in contact with an infected person and after 2 negative tests this last one was positive.......seems like if he knew he had been around a positive person?..............don't you usually go into quarantine?

On MSC, vaccinations are not required.  In Florida, when I live and will depart, Governor DeSantis said no vaccination passports.  I don't have to get off at the ports of call. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

On MSC, vaccinations are not required.  In Florida, when I live and will depart, Governor DeSantis said no vaccination passports.  I don't have to get off at the ports of call. 

what MSC does is irrelevant. They don’t have to deal with the CDC who has shut cruising down for 18 months. 

desantis can say whatever he wants. CDC has been pretty clear that either cruise lines can require vaccines OR test cruises/masks/multiple Covid tests/ship shore excursions. When desantis is the only thing standing between cruises restarting snd not, he will change his position quickly 

8 minutes ago, Geobugs said:

Yet another reason to avoid MSC. That cruise line is going to cause all sorts of FUBAR issues just to make a buck. 

In any case: As I said in my prior posts, Governor DeSantis is caving on his mandate: https://www.forbes.com/sites/suzannerowankelleher/2021/05/30/florida-governor-ron-desantis-cruise-line-exemption-vaccine-passport-ban/amp/.

3 hours ago, Geobugs said:

Leaving from an American port I assume.   Are you comfortable sharing the cruise line?  

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Hank, I saw that yesterday.........from what I heard he had come in contact with an infected person and after 2 negative tests this last one was positive.......seems like if he knew he had been around a positive person?..............don't you usually go into quarantine?

I shared your curiosity and spent a few minutes reading up on the situation.  Apparently the PGA has a very specific protocol which was followed where he was to social distance and be regularly tested for several days.  There was no quarantine requirement and I imagine that is because nearly everyone on the PGA circuit has been vaccinated.  He made his decision and now he has to live with the financial loss.  

One interesting part of the PGA protocol was that if he had been fully vaccinated they would not have done contact tracing with him nor would he have even been tested.  No need.

Hank

8 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

I shared your curiosity and spent a few minutes reading up on the situation.  Apparently the PGA has a very specific protocol which was followed where he was to social distance and be regularly tested for several days.  There was no quarantine requirement and I imagine that is because nearly everyone on the PGA circuit has been vaccinated.  He made his decision and now he has to live with the financial loss.  

One interesting part of the PGA protocol was that if he had been fully vaccinated they would not have done contact tracing with him nor would he have even been tested.  No need.

Hank

I just read he got his first shot AFTER he had the positive test.....so who knows what the PGA is doing.

3 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Florida’s Governor is already working on language to exempt cruise lines from his idiotic “no vaccine passport” rule.

DeSantis stands by no cruise ship exemption for ‘vaccine passports’  https://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/tourism/os-bz-desantis-cruise-ships-vaccine-passports-20210528-n7jed5ukszchpizifs534iorhi-story.html