The Daily for Friday Jun 04, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, richwmn said:

At Sea Pacific
Nieuw Amsterdam Drifting off California

Caught another "dam" ship in Pedro yesterday afternoon (Berth #93 of the World Cruise Center) before she headed out back to sea and Ensenada, Mexico (currently drifting off Rosarita, Mex). It was Nieuw Amsterdam and she was looking good after so many months at sea. She had an approx. 2-hour delay in departing because Philippine Airlines flight PAL102 with 117 new crew members had a delay coming out of Manila. After clearing customs, the 117 had to be Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tested as well as vaccinated (both for Covid) which was done in a city close to the port

May be an image of outdoors

May be an image of nature

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'Holland America Line'

Nieuw A is now slowly starting to get her crew back (the 117 in addition to the 218 "skeletons" 😉 that have beem on board, and the remainder for a full complement to come around June 16-19) and is getting ready to go operational again for her July 24, 2021 cruise out of Seattle to four Alaskan ports and back. Prior to going operational she will be receiving a USCG inspection as well as a visit by the Lloyds (certification) inspectors and, I would think, a USPH inspection. There is now finally light at the end of the tunnel for Holland America Line and the other cruise companies around the world. 😉 We are booked on her for August 7th to celebrate our wedding anniversary 🙂 
  • Like 43
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks for the update .  It’s cloudy and humid today but supposed to be sunny tomorrow, then the heat comes next week- in the 90’s all week.

I hugged all my fur babies and told them how special they are, even when they are naughty ❤️🐾❤️
       Blessings and prayers to all on our lists.

• Like 20

2 minutes ago, Copper10-8 said:

Caught another "dam" ship in Pedro yesterday afternoon (Berth #93 of the World Cruise Center) before she headed out back to sea and Ensenada, Mexico (currently drifting off Rosarita, Mex). It was Nieuw Amsterdam and she was looking good after so many months at sea. She had an approx. 2-hour delay in departing because Philippine Airlines flight PAL102 with 117 new crew members had a delay coming out of Manila. After clearing customs, the 117 had to be Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) tested as well as vaccinated (both for Covid) which was done in a city close to the port

May be an image of outdoors and text that says 'Holland America Line'

Nieuw A is now slowly starting to get her crew back (the 117 in addition to the 218 "skeletons" 😉 that have beem on board, and the remainder for a full complement to come around June 16-19) and is getting ready to go operational again for her July 24, 2021 cruise out of Seattle to four Alaskan ports and back. Prior to going operational she will be receiving a USCG inspection as well as a visit by the Lloyds (certification) inspectors and, I would think, a USPH inspection. There is now finally light at the end of the tunnel for Holland America Line and the other cruise companies around the world. 😉 We are booked on her for August 7th to celebrate our wedding anniversary 🙂 

Do you know what the process is for the crew to get to Los Angeles?  Do they need transit visas of some sort which require an interview in the Philippines before being allowed to fly to the US?

Roy

• Like 12

Good morning all!

Thank you John @Copper10-8for the photos of the NA!  It's SO nice to see things happening!!!

Not too happy that the rain decided to appear this weekend, as we have big plans to go whale watching with our younger grandson for his birthday....oh well, we'll make the most of it!

I like applesauce cake, but probably wouldn't choose it if other things (like chocolate) were available.  Our last cat loved to be hugged, in fact she would stand on her hind legs and reach up to be hugged just like the meme Kazu posted. No kitties here anymore 😞  so I will hug the neighbor's cat.   We always have cheese in the house.  

I'm sure DH would think I'd lost my mind if I served Arugula for dinner...but I guess it's better than a big bowl of Cilantro. We both hate that stuff lol.  Not sure what will be for dinner tonight, it will be something simple as the day will be filled with gardening and housework.

A year or two ago my friend/neighbor who is a pharmacist recommended the Salonpas.  So I tried it, and it doesn't work for me!  Very strange.  It does work for DH, so we have some in the medicine closet.  I've found that Icy Hot works best for me, and by using the roll on, can put it in many spots.

• Like 19

6 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Do you know what the process is for the crew to get to Los Angeles?  Do they need transit visas of some sort which require an interview in the Philippines before being allowed to fly to the US?

Roy

Yes, they need a U.S. C1 transit visa to be able to enter the U.S. which, for the Filipinos, is arranged by their manning (seafarers) agency in Manila. Once onboard, they will get a full CBP inspection the next time the ship calls at a U.S. port and will be issued a D (crew member) visa, allowing them to work on a ship that visits U.S. ports 

Hope you're doing well Roy! 

• Like 23
  • Thanks 3

Good morning and thanks everyone!  Interesting drinks today!  I’ll take my passion fruit in iced tea or a mojito.   

@StLouisCruisers I’m sorry your poor family is dealing with so much!  Enjoying your photos,  and the wonderful 500 day celebration!   We helped two friends celebrate theirs last cruise!  

@smitty34877 I hope you see some. Improvement,  I’ve read sometimes the vaccine helps the long haulers.  

I love arugula on pizza or topped with rare steak in Italy!  

@copper10 nice to see some activity! 

3074EE4B-C87F-4C24-A6F5-92FA3D7F8444.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, all.  So sorry, @StLouisCruisers, that you seem to be having one disaster after another.  

We love cheese.  All of us.

Our darling Bella the Bichon loved cheese.

Pat slicing cheese, Bella waiting - she always thought the treat would just suddenly appear on the floor

1787554956_Hummingbird001.thumb.jpg.9088141cea0131117220b3b8fb95b371.jpg

And after

1566165420_Hummingbird002.thumb.jpg.9d80d29a9a3e5a6b0e19e7bc7c9db3af.jpg

Regarding rhubarb, I know you are supposed to cut back any flowers that start to appear, but they are so gorgeous and only appear every 3 or 4 years, I can't bear to do it, and it has never seemed to make any difference in the production.

CIMG3188.thumb.JPG.90637ea15fc4a152982c824ed2f436fc.JPG

• Like 28

Good afternoon. ThanksL for the Daily.

I'm late today as I had to go to the lab for some blood work this morning.

Good days. Applesauce cake is yummy and I like cheese. No cat here to hug. It's also National Donut Day!

Good quote.

I'll pass on the meal and cocktail, but I'll take Roy's meal. I'll also take the wine.

I have been to today's port. It was my first HAL cruise in 2006, Auckland to Sydney. The flight from LA to Auckland was the longest I've ever had, and tough. @St

It's going to be hot and humid here this weekend. I'll limit outdoor time as I get overheated easily.

@smitty34877 I hope they can figure out how to help Tana.

@StLouisCruisers Continue prayers for Nancy. And prayers for the twins and their mother.

Prayers for the care list and cheers to the celebration list.

Stay safe all.

The Mayor of Burnie greeting us as we came off the ship (Statendam)

1368191550_520-MayorgreetingusonarrivalatBurnieTasmania.thumb.JPG.d69b2bc509159d23f88430347a1022e3.JPG

Scenery on the way to a wildlife tour

526.thumb.JPG.d1ff1d0323748a9b563414d4b1de5e83.JPG

Tasmanian Devil

345133312_536-TasmanianDevil.thumb.JPG.f06e05de94e86ac8e56350bdcd6bdefb.JPG

Kangaroo

710092411_577-Kangarooupclose.thumb.JPG.bb1656a7508791b341b99df304aa7dfe.JPG

Penguin Statue in Penguin, Tasmania

1207716158_597-PenguinStatueinPenguinTasmaniadressedforChristmas.thumb.JPG.2bda56afadc0b0411c69f95b3918cb89.JPG

Shoreline in Penguin

125381896_598-PenguinTasmania.thumb.JPG.da5c15ea6480bbe3cadb383361f50a88.JPG

View of Burnie as we are about to depart

294567712_609-ViewofBurniefromMSStatendam.thumb.JPG.cb8d800e8fa405e024ee72fc5ec8bef3.JPG

Sendoff by pipers as we leave Burnie

11025230_610-Piperssendoff.thumb.JPG.5825a96bc0ef6343ad67fbeaebc7dccb.JPG

• Like 30

@JazzyVthank you for your interesting photos taken on your tour in Burnie.  It looked like quite a beautiful day there.  

I want to say thank you to each and every one of you for your support during this continued crisis in my life.  I've never heard so much bad news all at once.  However, second worst news time was the  4 or 5 days in January when 4 family members came down with Covid.   Since they all survived that disaster, I can say now it wasn't as bad as this current situation.

So thank you all for thinking of me and my family as we deal with everything.  ❤️

• Like 24
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, richwmn said:

Wine of the day - Hartford Family Zinfandel Russian River Valley Old Vine 2015

6 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Today’s wine has excellent ratings. You might not be able to find the 2015 vintage locally, but pick up the one you do find - they are all rated the same. I found several online distributors for the 2016 vintage with prices starting at $35.99. @jimgev, thank you for adding personal experience- it adds a lot to the Daily wine info. 

Winemaker Notes

#21 Wine Spectator Top 100 of 2017 

The aromas of fresh blackberry, blueberry and black cherry are balanced with hints of cracked pepper and allspice. Blackberry, nutmeg and mocha flavors lead into an intense, elegant and silky finish.

WS94 Wine Spectator: This is what Russian River Zinfandel is all about. Rich, dynamic and layered, with complex fruit, offering notes of jammy black raspberry, stony mineral, herbes de Provence and licorice. The finish unfurls at length. Drink now through 2026.

RP94 Robert Parker's Wine Advocate: This Russian River Zinfandel is a blend of five old-vine, dry-farmed and low-yielding vineyards from the Russian River Valley AVA with an average vine age over 100 years. It is aged in French oak, 42% new, for 16 months prior to being bottled unfined and unfiltered. Medium to deep garnet in color, the 2015 Zinfandel Russian River is redolent of baked blackberries, dried mulberries and blueberry preserves with hints of leather and spic box. The palate is full-bodied with loads of berry preserves and Indian spice layers supported by chewy tannins and lovely freshness, finishing long, savory and with wonderful poise. 1727 cases were made.

As a card carrying Zinfandel bigot, I am quite embarrassed to admit that I am totally unfamiliar with this wine.  I just wanted t add a generic comment on Zinfandels.  

Northern California has had some very good vintages the last 10 years, or so.  @cat shepardhas commented on the high regard in which the various vintages of today's wine is held.  2015, as specified in @richwmn's recommendation, and 2016, which was detailed in @cat shepard's report, were both very good years.  However, I would also encourage people to look for the 2018 vintage.

Mike Officer is the owner and winemaker of Carlisle Winery.  He is regarded as one of a handful of top Zinfandel producers in California.  In the last year I have participated in a couple Zoom presentations where Mike Officer has unequivocally stated that 2018 was the best Zinfandel vintage for Sonoma County (which includes the Russian River Valley) that he has ever seen, 

Since hearing this, I have been loading up on 2018 Zins.  I haven't cracked open any of my more precious ones, yet, but the ones that I have tasted have been excellent.

So, if you find the 2018 version of Hartford family Zin, or, for that matter, any 2018 Zinfandel, do not hesitate to grab it.

• Like 17

4 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

There was a monument nearby for the Van Diemen's Land Company.  I found this description of their purpose on the internet:  

• The Van Diemen s Land company was first formed in 1824, with a group of wool merchants and mill operators, coming together with bankers and investors in London, with the aim to develop northwestern Tasmania as productive farming land, primarily for the export of wool.enhance

I assume that many cruisers who have visited Tasmania know this. but for those who don't, Van Diemens Land was the original name of Tasmania.

From Wikipedia:  The Dutch explorer Abel Tasman was the first known European to land on the shores of Tasmania in 1642. Landing at Blackman Bay and later having the Dutch flag flown at North Bay, Tasman named the island Anthoonij van Diemenslandt (Anthony Van Diemen's land) in honour of Anthony van Diemen, Governor-General of the Dutch East Indies, who had sent Tasman on his voyage.

n 1856, Van Diemen's Land was renamed Tasmania in honor of Abel Tasman.

The rest of this essay exposes one of my other personal interests, motorsports, but it is linked to Tasmania.

In the early 1970s frustrated racecar drivers Ross Ambrose and Ralph Firman Sr. partnered to form a racecar manufacturing company--Van Diemen.  The company's name comes from the island of Tasmania, Australia, which was formerly known as Van Diemen's Land and is where Ambrose was born and lived before moving to the UK to co-found the company.

The company had a very successful run--mostly building cars to compete in smaller formulas.  They were particutlarly successful in Formula Ford.  Numerous future stars of  Formula One and IndyCar furthered their careers driving Van Diemens

ASenna.jpg.9008cb38c6e750034b927bd9c0d845cf.jpg

This is Ayrton Senna driving a Van Diemen early in his career before becoming three time Formula One World Drivers Champion.

One final conceit.  Here is a picture of Mr. and Mrs. XBGuy with the son of Van Diemen founder Ross Ambrose's son, Marcos.

MarkandpeggywMarcos.jpg.18b16518b485987ab9c0300c80c6f478.jpg

• Like 25

Good afternoon!

We have been to Burnie once, in January, 2017, sailing on Maasdam.  We really saw nothing of Burnie as we took a fantastic CC Roll Call tour to many sights away from the port.  Our tour was to learn about local produce, and we sure did!  The first was a cheese factory tour and samples, the next was a chocolate factory tour with samples, then a raspberry farm store, with samples, an ice cream shop, next a honey store, with samples and then lunch at a family salmon farm for lunch.  After lunch, another store to learn about bees and probably taste samples, then a visit to Sheffield, the Town of Murals, where we stopped at a coffee/ chocolate shop and then a hard cider company for, tastings.  One the way back to the ship, we stopped at two wineries, for tastings!  If any of you have Burnie on a future cruise,  see if this one is still available as a private, not HAL tour and if you take it , enjoy!

• Like 21

4 hours ago, lindaler said:

I have a question for our garden guru Kazu. I have large rhubarb plants. Some have huge flowers on top. Should I cut them off so more goes toward the stakes getting red?  This one is out my side door and I could grab a picture without putting my shoes on but the flowers in others are more impressive.

I am not a guru by any means but I had rhubarb in my old garden and I know it means your rhubarb is starting to bolt.  (Produce seeds).

Personally, I would remove the flowers.  Is it an old plant?  It might be time to divide it have even more rhubarb.

• Like 12

20 minutes ago, kazu said:

I am not a guru by any means but I had rhubarb in my old garden and I know it means your rhubarb is starting to bolt.  (Produce seeds).

Personally, I would remove the flowers.  Is it an old plant?  It might be time to divide it have even more rhubarb.

You are a guru in that even if you don’t know the answer you lead us to others that do know the answers. Plants came with the cabin and could be 20 years old. I spread the seeds last year in hopes of choosing locations for more but I have five or six big plants this year. My sister is bringing rhubarb recipes when she comes and we will play with the plants. I will head out now to cut the flowers so they don’t bolt. Don’t know how a plant bolts but it doesn’t sound like a good thing. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 2

Just now, lindaler said:

You are a guru in that even if you don’t know the answer you lead us to others that do know the answers. Plants came with the cabin and could be 20 years old. I spread the seeds last year in hopes of choosing locations for more but I have five or six big plants this year. My sister is bringing rhubarb recipes when she comes and we will play with the plants. I will head out now to cut the flowers so they don’t bolt. Don’t know how a plant bolts but it doesn’t sound like a good thing. 

Have you had lettuce?  When it bolts, you don’t get anymore lettuce as it goes to seed and the plant is done. 😉 

Thank you though for the kind words.  I wish I were a guru 😉 

• Like 11

Unfortunately, I have heard news about the babies.  Their hearts were beating when they were born this morning.  The parents, and grandparents including my niece, Lisa got to spend time with them before they passed away.  Lisa said they had her son's dark hair coloring.  Of course, everyone is devastated and heartbroken.  There is a hole in my heart just hearing this devastating news.  

As for DS the nurse estimates she has a couple of more days left.  At least she can hold those babies when she gets to heaven.  My DBIL passed 5 years ago so he is there with them now.  

I am so sad.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Just too much bad news at one time.😭  Coming here helps me to cope though so thanks to all.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 9

51 minutes ago, bobpatj said:

Good afternoon!

We have been to Burnie once, in January, 2017, sailing on Maasdam.  We really saw nothing of Burnie as we took a fantastic CC Roll Call tour to many sights away from the port.  Our tour was to learn about local produce, and we sure did!  The first was a cheese factory tour and samples, the next was a chocolate factory tour with samples, then a raspberry farm store, with samples, an ice cream shop, next a honey store, with samples and then lunch at a family salmon farm for lunch.  After lunch, another store to learn about bees and probably taste samples, then a visit to Sheffield, the Town of Murals, where we stopped at a coffee/ chocolate shop and then a hard cider company for, tastings.  One the way back to the ship, we stopped at two wineries, for tastings!  If any of you have Burnie on a future cruise,  see if this one is still available as a private, not HAL tour and if you take it , enjoy!

Just one question - Did your clothes still fit at the end of that day?

Seriously it sounds amazing. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Unfortunately, I have heard news about the babies.  Their hearts were beating when they were born this morning.  The parents, and grandparents including my niece, Lisa got to spend time with them before they passed away.  Lisa said they had her son's dark hair coloring.  Of course, everyone is devastated and heartbroken.  There is a hole in my heart just hearing this devastating news.  

As for DS the nurse estimates she has a couple of more days left.  At least she can hold those babies when she gets to heaven.  My DBIL passed 5 years ago so he is there with them now.  

I am so sad.  Sorry for being such a downer.  Just too much bad news at one time.😭  Coming here helps me to cope though so thanks to all.

Oh, my.  I am so sorry.  I can't begin to imagine the heaviness of your heart right now.   I wish I could do something to make it better, but I can't.   I will hold you and  your family close to my heart and know that I am thinking of you.

Don't worry about being a "downer".   We want to support you and share your pain.  

Edited by dfish
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Sandi

I do not have any words. Just prayers and love. 

Ann

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

I am so sorry.  You, and your entire family are in your prayers.  Your statement about your DS holding the babies was a beautiful thought and it can carry your entire family through this extremely difficult time.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1