Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

11 hours ago, Fredric22 said:

Exactly. No one seems to understand how this works... sometimes I feel like banging my head against the wall. 

I am frustrated enough to begin to want to bang other people's heads against the wall, but just think of it as similar to talking with someone who believes that JFK, Elvis, and John Lennon are alive and well, partying it up in a secret resort.

Edited by mayleeman
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, bEwAbG said:

Not sure what you're railing against.  There are all sorts of math tricks that can get you to the right answer and thinking of numbers as units of 10 (or 100 or 1000) is not some newfangled idea because that part of the math is easy.  In the case of multiplying any other two digit number by 11, you can also add the two numbers together and then bookend them with the digits of the number: 32 x 11 would be 3+2 = 5, then add the 3 at the beginning and the 2 at the end = 352.  42 x 11 would be 4+2 = 6, etc. = 462.  If the end result is correct, what does it matter how you get there?  It's not witchcraft.

The education system along with almost everything else in that regard.  The article brought it up as a new shockingly clever way of solving.

A quick read thru this thread indicates how many different interpretations there are  about the chance of testing positive after being fully vaccinated.  People need to educate themselves that you can get the virus after having been fully vaccinated...I think it possible these two got it on a shore excursion .  They will probably remain asymptomatic but can possibly spread it. You can carry the virus after being vaccinated. I found this article very helpful https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/  Anyone going on a cruise needs to be prepared this can happen and it could be you. There is another ship MSC with cases on board...no masks and not even sure you had to be vaccinated for that one. Sorry but the risk will be around for a long time. The ports you visit will  NOT have a majority vaccinated. This was the first ship and not a surprising result.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

There is another ship MSC with cases on board...no masks and not even sure you had to be vaccinated for that one. Sorry but the risk will be around for a long time. The ports you visit will  NOT have a majority vaccinated. This was the first ship and not a surprising result.

MSC does not require passengers to be vaccinated but does routine Covid testing during each cruise and requires masks and social distancing in ALL public areas. The two passengers were isolated and forced to leave the cruise in Sicily to be sent home. This makes an even stronger argument for allowing only vaccinated people to get on a cruise ship.

Here is one link to this story:

2 passengers aboard a Mediterranean cruise tested positive for COVID-19 (yahoo.com)

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, terrydtx said:

MSC does not require passengers to be vaccinated but does routine Covid testing during each cruise and requires masks and social distancing in ALL public areas. The two passengers were isolated and forced to leave the cruise in Sicily to be sent home. This makes an even stronger argument for allowing only vaccinated people to get on a cruise ship.

Here is one link to this story:

2 passengers aboard a Mediterranean cruise tested positive for COVID-19 (yahoo.com)

So all lines are presumably enforcing masking and social distancing.  We have lines requiring the vax and others (at least one) not requiring the vax.. with only one change in variable (that we know of), both have similar results....  Interesting.

11 hours ago, ceilidh1 said:

"About 500 passengers are on board, over 95% who are fully vaccinated, according to previous CNN reporting. Children who could not yet receive vaccinations were required to show negative Covid-19 tests."

Cruise ship Covid-19: Two passengers on Celebrity Millennium test positive for coronavirus | CNN Travel

Yes

10 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Going to suck for them getting stuck in their cabin. It will be interesting to find out if they were vaccinated or not

They would not have been boarded unless they were vaccinated as I understand it. They are Dutch so could have been locals from St. Maarten?  I assume the rules are the same for all? There are many media on board this ship.

25 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

A quick read thru this thread indicates how many different interpretations there are  about the chance of testing positive after being fully vaccinated.  People need to educate themselves that you can get the virus after having been fully vaccinated...I think it possible these two got it on a shore excursion .  They will probably remain asymptomatic but can possibly spread it. You can carry the virus after being vaccinated. I found this article very helpful https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/  Anyone going on a cruise needs to be prepared this can happen and it could be you. There is another ship MSC with cases on board...no masks and not even sure you had to be vaccinated for that one. Sorry but the risk will be around for a long time. The ports you visit will  NOT have a majority vaccinated. This was the first ship and not a surprising result.

The ship in question was the MSC Seaside and yes masks are required outside of the stateroom but vaccines are not.

13 minutes ago, Laszlo said:

Going to suck for them getting stuck in their cabin. It will be interesting to find out if they were vaccinated or not

They were confined to their cabin the final 2 nights on bard and disembarked at St. Maarten with the rest of the passengers.  They were then put in quarantine at a hotel, unable to return home until they had a negative test.  Presumably, they're still in that hotel.

3 minutes ago, K.T.B. said:

They were confined to their cabin the final 2 nights on bard and disembarked at St. Maarten with the rest of the passengers.  They were then put in quarantine at a hotel, unable to return home until they had a negative test.  Presumably, they're still in that hotel.

This sailing is still at sea returning to St. Maarten tomorrow. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

They would not have been boarded unless they were vaccinated as I understand it. They are Dutch so could have been locals from St. Maarten?  I assume the rules are the same for all? There are many media on board this ship.

Hmmmmmm....Nigel powers would have something to say about that....lol

• Like 2

1 hour ago, K.T.B. said:

Quoting one of the greats here:  “You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant.” ― Harlan Ellison. 

Taking this quotation a step further.....one can be ignorant and still have an opinion to the extent of their knowledge.  Entitled is a strange way to express ignorance.  But this gentleman was strange so to be expected....IMO....perhaps ignorant as I am of the New Wave expression.

The main thing I would be watching on this whole scenario is if any others/crew/passengers that are on this cruise come down with Corona over the next 2 weeks or so based off incubation.  If none then the vaccine is helping prevent spreading I would assume, not a medical professional (tho work in healthcare)  so just doing a somewhat educated assumption.   With only the 2 showing so far I am not as concerned as if there is a full on outbreak onboard.  I would be thinking all the different health agencies in countries are watching this closely at this point.  If it just stays at the 2 I think this would be a good overall outcome.  

• Like 4

Aboard the ship right now and soon we should hear results from second tests given to 2 passengers to see if they had false positives. The fun goes on and I have not seen anyone worried about this news. With almost 2000 people on the ship and only 2 testing positive the odds are better than if 2000 people in your hometown were tested today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

Aboard the ship right now and soon we should hear results from second tests given to 2 passengers to see if they had false positives. The fun goes on and I have not seen anyone worried about this news. With almost 2000 people on the ship and only 2 testing positive the odds are better than if 2000 people in your hometown were tested today.

Agree, nothing to see here, party on..enjoy the rest of the cruise.  

4 hours ago, medtech71 said:

But there’s no talking common sense with the Kovid Koolaid brigade.   This is why you’re still required to wear that ridiculous and pointless mask everywhere.

I sincerely hope your not on a cruise that I’m on in the near future if thats your laissez faire attitude to a worldwide pandemic. Masks have been proven to prevent the spread of Covid infections by reducing aerosol transmission and droplet spread.  Fully vaccinated people can still contract and spread covid, the percentage and severity is reduced but no vaccine is 100% effective. Until the incidence of disease is considerably reduced then wearing masks when mixing with large groups of people has been proved to reduce spread as has social distancing and regular hand washing. Which I also hope people actually now start to take more care with. 

• Like 12

1 minute ago, tallyho8 said:

Thanks for the update. I assume your total also includes the crew as I’ve seen anywhere from 5-700 guests on board.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kirtihk said:

On a side note: I read an article last night about a brilliant way to do arithmetic calculation: 32 x 11.  It says do 32 x 10 and add 32!  How bright, unusual, and innovative solution!  No wonder, the piece of a rag to hide one's face is the best resolution to save the world! 

Alexa is brillianter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, cruisingator2 said:

Thanks for the update. I assume your total also includes the crew as I’ve seen anywhere from 5-700 guests on board.

I saw range of 500-600 passengers and 700 crew....not sure where the number of 2000 comes from.?

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Keep in mind the UK chose to only administer one shot instead of the full sequence. One shot is not sufficient. Plus consider the other issue of efficacy with the AZ vaccine.

This  is not correct,  the U.K. chose to extend the dose interval from 3 weeks to 12 weeks to cover people more quickly in the vulnerable groups. This strategy proved very effective and actually significantly improved the efficacy of the AZ vaccine. They also extended the dose interval of the Pfizer vaccine to 12 weeks also with improved efficacy. Both vaccines are working very effectively especially in view of the increase we currently have of the Delta variant, with very few fully vaccinated people testing positive or becoming hospitalised.  

• Like 9

are ships sailing from the USA required to do all this testing? it sounds like a nitemare. so if no testing on the USA cruises i'm glad of that. if testing is required, i dont think id want to go thru all this . just reading the thread a few pages made my head hurt

3 hours ago, Aloha 1 said:

Keep in mind the UK chose to only administer one shot instead of the full sequence. One shot is not sufficient. Plus consider the other issue of efficacy with the AZ vaccine.

That is factually incorrect. Two separate jags are administered. I also suggest you check the results for all brands of vaccines against the variants before commenting on the efficacy of AZ.

• Like 5