Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

Science disagrees with you, I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you would like to believe. 

I honestly think you're both sort of right. I think there is enough evidence to feel pretty confident that a vaccinated person that gets asymptomatic COVID is significantly less likely to transmit it because of the lower viral load. I don't, however, believe that we understand it well enough to say that the risk is low enough to be "negligible" though.

Edited by Sykes

1 hour ago, sunlover33 said:

Science disagrees with you, I don’t think it’s as clear cut as you would like to believe. 

Thus, we suggest that asymptomatic individuals are infectious during the early stage of infection, but some rare cases (3/100.000) become long-term virus carriers which are no longer infectious. This would reconcile the Wuhan post-lockdown study with the other studies including the one from Luxembourg. This conveys several important messages for science and public health: (i) During the acute phase of a COVID19 wave, asymptomatic individuals should definitively be included in the testing strategy and their contacts traced, because they can drive the inapparent spread the virus similar to symptomatic cases. (ii) Among AIC there is a category of rare long-term SARS-COV-2 carriers (3/100.000), with minimal risk for virus transmission, despite detectable viral RNA. (iii) Despite low absolute numbers, the proportionof this category of asymptomatic carriers will increase as the virus retreats. (iv) Finally, it cannot be excluded that rare long-term carriers may become virus reservoirs, with the potential to cause recurrent outbreaks. This has important implications for future SARS-COV-2 public health and surveillance, and our understanding of yet another pitfall of this cunning virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

This article is not about vaccinated individuals.  It is about Covid-infected asymptomatic people.  Well known.  Not sure what point you are trying to make.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, harkinmr said:

I know.  Was just responding to perhaps an implication that parents would vaccinate their children to go on a cruise. If so, there’s a bigger problem. I personally believe that the vaccines are very safe for children and it is wise to get them vaccinated. My 16 year old grandson was just vaccinated a few weeks ago...and he decided on his own.  Very proud of him. 😊

I have mixed feelings about vaccinating young children and too a lesser extent healthy young adults. But it is a tough choice... it was easy for me... being in the target age group for serious complications and worse.. it was an easy choice. But hearing about heart inflammation and the emergency meeting scheduled to discuss this... makes me still wonder. I am sure that it is healthy for the vast majority..it would be nice to have data so those at risk of side effects could be identified before... but it is still amazing that scientists were able to develop such a highly effective vaccine so quickly..so some side effects should not surprise us. Despite some concerns... I do not regret getting it.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, marieps said:

Pee was talking about vaccinated people being asymptomatic and unlikely spreaders.  You post speaks only of asymptomatic without reference to whether they are vaccinated.  IMO you haven't made the case that science disagrees with him.  Besides, your Lancet article is more than 3 months old.  The landscape is changing quickly.

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

This article is not about vaccinated individuals.  It is about Covid-infected asymptomatic people.  Well known.  Not sure what point you are trying to make.

Ok if you want up to date information re vaccinated individuals here is an article

https://www.thedailystar.net/health/news/can-vaccinated-people-spread-covid-19-2109693

There are lots of articles which give conflicting information. Clearly  because we still don’t know enough about this virus, the full efficacy and longevity of various vaccines  and the impact of variants. Being fully vaccinated at present reduces the risk of spread but no one is able to say with any degree of certainty by how much, as there are too many variables to consider. Caution needs to be applied until we know far more than we currently do,  no matter how much we or our various governments for their own political ends wish us to believe otherwise. 

10 hours ago, TeeRick said:

This is post #544 on this thread. There is so much posted here that I decided to sit back, sip my coffee, and try and figure out what is actually going on.  So all I still know is that 2 vaccinated and previously tested people in the same stateroom tested positive and then retested positive.  All others on the ship tested negative.  All procedures were followed.  I have learned nothing more and there is no further information.  All the rest is speculation.  Some accusation. There is also a lot of misinformation and some lack of understanding of vaccines and Covid.  But also some very good posts with good information too.  OK back to the thread........😀 

By the time I got to this post, it is post #537 so I assume some posts have been removed.

2 hours ago, kearney said:

I have mixed feelings about vaccinating young children and too a lesser extent healthy young adults. But it is a tough choice... it was easy for me... being in the target age group for serious complications and worse.. it was an easy choice. But hearing about heart inflammation and the emergency meeting scheduled to discuss this... makes me still wonder. I am sure that it is healthy for the vast majority..it would be nice to have data so those at risk of side effects could be identified before... but it is still amazing that scientists were able to develop such a highly effective vaccine so quickly..so some side effects should not surprise us. Despite some concerns... I do not regret getting it.

Well, many parents feel differently and have made the decision to protect their children. They don’t buy into the myths and prognostications bandied about that one thing or another might possibly someday who knows when happen.  One has to look at the data behind heart inflammation in young people following vaccination: it is rare and not out of line with what occurs in the general population, and has not caused serious illness or death.  I’m rather tired of the “we don’t know what long term effects might be out there”.  Thank God for the many folks who have stepped up to be vaccinated to protect themselves, their families and their communities. It is those people I will always thank for the end to this pandemic, if it gets here. Those who chose otherwise, not so much.  

https://www.aappublications.org/news/2021/06/04/covid-vaccine-myocarditis-

case-reports-060421

https://www.yalemedicine.org/news/myocarditis-coronavirus-vaccine

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 4

On 6/10/2021 at 4:36 PM, rsail203 said:

I was supposed to be on this cruise. I was vaccinated in February. I tested positive the Saturday before the cruise. I had to cancel and I was completely asymptomatic. Even after the jabs, I never went out without a mask, so it certainly can happen.

Just curious. You were vaccinated in Feb, and tested positive six months later,  in June. The test showed antibodies...but not the same antibodies your body created when you were vaccinated ?  Trying to sort this out (not your case personally, but in general). 

Edited by Boatdrill

19 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Just curious. You were vaccinated in Feb, and tested positive six months later,  in June. The test showed antibodies...but not the same antibodies your body created when you were vaccinated ?  Trying to sort this out (not your case personally, but in general). 

You have some strange math going on there Boat.  Feb-June is not 6 months.

6 hours ago, Gracie115 said:

The situation was handled very well by X and like the poster the finding of 2 positive cases would not deter me from cruising now at all.  I have confidence that X has a handle on what to do if a positive appears.  

There were not two positive cases.  Two people had positive test results.  That is not the same thing.  They had no symptoms whatsoever.  Many don't seem to get this distinction.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, iamaqt2 said:

March, April, May, June.  4 months.  😜

Aha ! I'm counting February and June because I don't know when the events happened. First week of the month ? Last week of the month ?   So the months are all inclusive. 😀 

Edited by Boatdrill
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Aha ! I'm counting February and June because I don't know when the events happened. First week of the month ? Last week of the month ?  

It's really semantics.. but even counting February AND June, it would be 5 months.  However, since vax was in February, and it takes 2 weeks for full immunity I dropped it off the count.  Which brings it to 4 months.  And assuming the positive test was right at the first of June, that could almost be dropped as well.. bringing it to 3 months.  It's all relative anyway... who knows who might test positive or not after vaccination? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

There were not two positive cases.  Two people had positive test results.  That is not the same thing.  They had no symptoms whatsoever.  Many don't seem to get this distinction.

Thank you for making this distinction. A relative tested positive for antibodies after she had donated blood for a charity. She never had any symptoms, and was surprised, as she lives in a remote area.  She was asked to come back weeks later to donate plasma, which she did.  We always wondered if her positive test was included on the nightly news scoreboard of the growing number of "cases", which from then on, made that number suspect.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Thank you for making this distinction. A relative tested positive for antibodies after she had donated blood for a charity. She never had any symptoms, and was surprised, as she lives in a remote area.  She was asked to come back weeks later to donate plasma, which she did.  We always wondered if her positive test was included on the nightly news scoreboard of the growing number of "cases", which from then on, made that number suspect.  

The number of 'cases' were people who tested positive.  Not people who were later found to have been infected and asymptomatic.  Many states later on in the pandemic changed their dashboards to include more data, not just relying on positive tests.  That data included hospitalizations, deaths, etc.  So that a more broad picture could be gained.
I work in a hospital, and can tell you that due to widespread acceptance of the vaccine in my area, we are down to 2 Covid admits, and none in the ICU.  No one on a ventilator, and the patients that we are seeing infected are unvaccinated.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

I have no idea what the test showed, besides the fact that I was positive. I got a call from the Suffolk County board of health ordering me to isolate at home. So I had a very sad week.

The only good thing about it is, I would be home now awaiting my Oasis cruise in Sept. I Just booked the first Equinox cruise on July 25th, so I have someting to look forward to.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Boatdrill said:

Aha ! I'm counting February and June because I don't know when the events happened. First week of the month ? Last week of the month ?   So the months are all inclusive. 😀 

February 12th and May 29th.

5 hours ago, sunlover33 said:

Thus, we suggest that asymptomatic individuals are infectious during the early stage of infection, but some rare cases (3/100.000) become long-term virus carriers which are no longer infectious. This would reconcile the Wuhan post-lockdown study with the other studies including the one from Luxembourg. This conveys several important messages for science and public health: (i) During the acute phase of a COVID19 wave, asymptomatic individuals should definitively be included in the testing strategy and their contacts traced, because they can drive the inapparent spread the virus similar to symptomatic cases. (ii) Among AIC there is a category of rare long-term SARS-COV-2 carriers (3/100.000), with minimal risk for virus transmission, despite detectable viral RNA. (iii) Despite low absolute numbers, the proportionof this category of asymptomatic carriers will increase as the virus retreats. (iv) Finally, it cannot be excluded that rare long-term carriers may become virus reservoirs, with the potential to cause recurrent outbreaks. This has important implications for future SARS-COV-2 public health and surveillance, and our understanding of yet another pitfall of this cunning virus.

https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lanepe/article/PIIS2666-7762(21)00059-4/fulltext

Nope..  We are discussing vaccinated asymptomatic people.  Maybe you need to tell the CDC they are wrong.

2nd test was positive but none of the passengers who had contact tested positive in a second test.  I am sure their case will be researched.   The vaccine is only 95% effective so you can get cases but at least for this cruise because all the passengers had the vaccine there was no big issue other than passengers who had contact had a short quarantine while they were retested.   

I think for now all passengers should be vaccinated and am very disappointed that the Florida Gov who I like has not given them an exception to require it.   I do know that I would not take a cruise if I was not vaccinated.  The restrictions would be a pain and if somebody tests positive who knows how long you might be in quarantine.  

• Like 3

I agree @volk904 – I think this cruise proves the wisdom of 100% vaccinated crew and passengers at this point.  There will continue to be positive tests, but IMHO the important take-away here is that no one suffered any symptoms and there was 0 spreading.  Thus this was a safe cruise and a 100% ratification that the measures taken worked.  I'm sorry for those who like to cruise with their children, but for me it's 100% vaxxed all the way!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

Sorry not sure if it's been noted in earlier posts...there's a guy that was on the ship at the time of all this and he has explained what everyone one had to do and how professional it all was...worth reading if you haven't..puts a lot of doubt at ease...I personally can't wait until we cruise again down under...hopefully we will have the same protocols here too.  Also the post was from Seany...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1