Two Test Positive On Millenium

morfred

6 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Here is the article.  Somehow I don't think that I would have been as optimistic/positive about the situation.  Not a fun time in my book.  However the travel blogger is very positive.  I guess that is what she gets paid for.

This has thrown a whole new wrinkle into cruising.  The idea that you are quarantined in your cabin until you test negative.

I know.  Quarantine is not required on land (US) if one is fully vaccinated and shows no symptoms even as close contact.

4 minutes ago, jtwind said:

I haven't noticed anybody accusing the 2 people.  But as folks who want to see the cruise industry come back successfully, faked vaccinations would probably be the best case scenario.

Yep, if it’s a fake, at least it’s a solvable problem.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nocl said:

to get permission to give the vaccine an organization must complete a form. On that form is a unique code. On the CDC vaccination card that code should be in the provider section.

If someone had the information on that card, and a signed medical release form with the name, date of birth of the individual, they could identify the provider and with the name and birth date of the individual, the provider could verify.

The question is more will the  ruise lines perform any spot checks of the validity of the cards. If they also request a signed release of medical information they should, with the card have enough information to do so.

I was hoping they would do random spot checks against official state records to discourage the most passionate antivaxxers from trying to cheat, but I think they felt it wasn't necessary.  At minimum, I would hope that they will do thorough checks of anybody who tests positive while on the cruise, and they should announce stiff penalties for anybody who fabricates a vaccination record to discourage people from trying.

There will be legitimate breakthrough cases (and those individuals should not be punished) but if selfish people lie about being vaccinated, they could cause 100s (1000s?) of cruisers to get stuck in their rooms for days (assuming that on a full ship it will take time to test the entire crew and guests). If enough people are lying, it could cause the entire ship to miss ports or get stuck at sea when a cluster breaks out, or even cause the cruising industry to have to pause again.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, pixiedust777 said:

If you test positive while cruising you will be quarantined on the ship until the next port of call where you will be disembarked and transferred to a medical facility. Upon recovery or testing negative you will need to make arrangements to get home.

Do not cruise without a passport!

1EE99212-95B2-429E-A91F-3DBB59AF22D5.jpeg

3DDFE31E-1CB9-4260-B28F-AE20649563B5.jpeg

2 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

What happens if you are contact traced and quarantined in your stateroom until you test negative?  Is there any compensation there?

Expand first quote for copy of celebrity policy pertaining to being identified as close contact. 

If you are identified as being a close contact to someone who tested positive, Celebrity will pay for flights only if you booked them through Celebrity Air. If you booked on your own, they will cover costs up until the point you needed to fly, which you would have to pay. 

Edited by rakes5

1 hour ago, Reijo said:

My husband and I were vaccinated in Georgia and received a small card with all necessary information on it.  When we went for the 2nd vaccine, we had to take our card and the appropriate info was added to it.  I've really never heard of anyone being given what you have.  Perhaps they ran out of cards.  I would try to check it out with someone.  If you had it done at a pharmacy, perhaps they would be willing to get you the card.

DW got the official CDC card with her first shot, but I got a piece of paper [two different Walgreens stores].  When I went back for my second shot, I gave them the paper and asked for a real card – they had no trouble copying over the earlier info and adding the 2nd shot.  Maybe if @baldilocks goes back to the jabsite they would have the cards now and could redo theirs.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Cruise Habit on twitter just reported that all but 70 guests have had their tests done and there have been no additional covid cases. In my view, this is a big win for vaccinated cruises. 

Wait for it.  I think the normal incubation time is 3-6 days.  So, negative today doesn't mean negative tomorrow in this case.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I think what the other poster believes is rare is to have two vaccine breakthroughs. From what is known, breakthrough COVID cases in FULLY VACCINATED people is rare.  

If they were unvaccinated it would be more understandable given COVID's infectivity rate. But both vaccinated and both being vaccine failures?  Fairly uncommon. 

I wonder which vaccine they got? 

This!!!

The chances of them both testing positive after being fully vaccinated is minute. One person yes, but two in the same stateroom??

They had both been tested prior to boarding (one would assume as part of the process and would have been negative), both negative then they both test positive on the same day.

Now we need a statistical analysis…

• Like 2

5 hours ago, coffeebean said:

I'm interested only in the mRNA vaccines as myself and my entire family are vaccinated with the Moderna vaccine. Just curious......you say the efficacy of the Pfizer vaccine has "improved efficacy" with the 12 weeks interval between the two doses. What is the efficacy of the vaccine with this longer interval between doses? Thanks.

https://www.birmingham.ac.uk/news/latest/2021/05/covid-pfizer-vaccination-interval-antibody-response.aspx

7 minutes ago, Grandma Cruising said:

In the UK 14 people who were fully vaccinated have died from COVID.

Sadly it has been reported that 5% of hospital admissions in Bolton from the Delta variant were of people who had completed the full vaccination course.

3 hours ago, ebeluga said:

I know.  Quarantine is not required on land (US) if one is fully vaccinated and shows no symptoms even as close contact.

That seems ridiculous when the evidence shows that vaccinated people can get COVID and transmit it, even if it’s only a small percentage

• Like 2

13 hours ago, asalligo said:

And right now we are only dealing with asymptomatic fully vaccinated cruisers. The day will come when a fully vaccinated cruiser dies from Covid. It will happen eventually. 

But alongside this good news have been rare reports of severe Covid in people who had been fully vaccinated.

On June 3, for instance, Napa County announced that a fully vaccinated woman, who was more than a month past her second Moderna shot, had died after being hospitalized with Covid. The woman, who was over 65 and had underlying medical conditions, had tested positive for the Alpha variant, which was first identified in Britain.

Although these cases are tragic, they are uncommon — and not unexpected.

As I’ve already said, in the UK 14 fully vaccinated people have died from COVID.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, AbbyCruiser45 said:

Cruise Habit on twitter just reported that all but 70 guests have had their tests done and there have been no additional covid cases. In my view, this is a big win for vaccinated cruises. 

Yes from the report I feel very safe to go for cruises if you are vaccinated.

This really show the vaccine is working and it stop the virus spreading on the ship.

Edited by verizon

8 hours ago, coffeebean said:

The State of Florida Health Department has my immunization records. That record includes my Moderna vaccinations with the Lot #s of each injection, dates given and location of the shots. I have a copy of my record that was obtained from the Florida Department of Health. I have official proof besides my hand filled in CDC card.

Forgot to mention......my State of Florida Health Department also contains my immunizations from when I was a child as a resident of the State of New York. THAT surprised me.

• Like 1

Something brought up earlier in this thread worries me a bit…….my daughter, who has been teaching in schools with a large international population, always tests positive for T B…..she does not have it , but according to Doctors, was exposed sometime in her career…after the test she always has to have a chest X-ray….always negative….several cruisers mentioned HIV and flu with similar outcomes……maybe instead of testing for COVID we test for the antibodies…..

• Like 5

Since this cruise wasn't 100 percent vaccinated, wonder if it's possible that these 2 people who tested positive were not vaccinated.  I also think it's a bit strange that if both were vaccinated that both tested positive. Also wonder what vaccine these 2 received.  Someone said they were Dutch.  What vaccine was available to them?   Are they checking the validity of their vaccines? Time will tell.

Can you imagine if Disneyworld tested everyone that entered and exited their parks?  If hotels tested, if trains tested, if planes were tested?  Doesn't seem that cruise lines are being treated equally. Not saying what's right or wrong. Something to think about.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Grandma Cruising said:

Many in the UK have had astrazeneca and this does not work well with the Delta variant. Also older people and those with immune response issues will not build the required antibodies from any vaccine

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

https://thepointsguy.com/news/celebrity-millennium-cruise-ship-covid/

Here is the article.  Somehow I don't think that I would have been as optimistic/positive about the situation.  Not a fun time in my book.  However the travel blogger is very positive.  I guess that is what she gets paid for.

This has thrown a whole new wrinkle into cruising.  The idea that you are quarantined in your cabin until you test negative.

Maybe… how many people total were quarantined beside the crew and the 2 positive cases? Six, eight? And those people were quarantined less than 24 hours it seemed. 
The CCV cameras give the ship the ability to contact trace much more closely then in “real life”. An infected person has to be close to others for at least 10 minutes (15 for the cdc definition) to matter, so mostly bars, restaurants, excursions, a chat by the pool.

I think these restrictions will morph as time goes on - Celeb is being more strict than cdc, and I think that’s the right course, but there are going to be blips - especially using blanket testing.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bbtondo said:

Since this cruise wasn't 100 percent vaccinated, wonder if it's possible that these 2 people who tested positive were not vaccinated.  I also think it's a bit strange that if both were vaccinated that both tested positive. Also wonder what vaccine these 2 received.  Someone said they were Dutch.  What vaccine was available to them?   Are they checking the validity of their vaccines? Time will tell.

Can you imagine if Disneyworld tested everyone that entered and exited their parks?  If hotels tested, if trains tested, if planes were tested?  Doesn't seem that cruise lines are being treated equally. Not saying what's right or wrong. Something to think about.

In hotels and parks you have limited contact with each person . On a cruise ship you are together for a week or more and although you many never meet the people with covid you many also form a bond and be together daily

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Maybe… how many people total were quarantined beside the crew and the 2 positive cases? Six, eight? And those people were quarantined less than 24 hours it seemed. 
The CCV cameras give the ship the ability to contact trace much more closely then in “real life”. An infected person has to be close to others for at least 10 minutes (15 for the cdc definition) to matter, so mostly bars, restaurants, excursions, a chat by the pool.

I think these restrictions will morph as time goes on - Celeb is being more strict than cdc, and I think that’s the right course, but there are going to be blips - especially using blanket testing.

It was my understanding that everyone that was on the excursion or else where with the positive cruisers were quarantined until they showed a negative test.  The article mentions that 200 tests were performed after the positive.  Not six or eight.

Edited by NMTraveller

Have they? this is news to me, I’ve seen nothing about this in the news media, do you have a link for me to read up on this?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, gold1953 said:

Many in the UK have had astrazeneca and this does not work well with the Delta variant. Also older people and those with immune response issues will not build the required antibodies from any vaccine

Do you have a link to the research that says the AZ vaccine doesn’t work well against the Delta variant?

As I’ve already said, in the UK 14 fully vaccinated people have died from COVID.

Checked, this is correct, but the people were described as having “profound comorbidities”. This is per the Telegraph.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 4