The Daily for Sunday Jun 20, 2021

richwmn

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Dreamy Chocolate Winter:

6 oz of hot chocolate
1 oz of Irish cream
1 oz of Kahlua coffee liqueur
amaretto almond liqueur

Pour kahlua and irish cream into a heatproof cup with hot chocolate. Add amaretto, to taste. Stir, and serve.

Screen Shot 2021-06-20 at 7.08.19 AM.png

This look yummy! 😋 

Happy Father's Day to all dads and men of influence.  😊

• Like 13

Good afternoon everyone on Father's Day.

It is 65°F and sunny.

Paulines dad sadly died 13 years ago and my dad died 9 year's ago.

I'm not a dad myself but have been like a dad to our lovely niece for many years.

The second photo was in Spain 4 week's after my heart attack.

Graham 

IMG_20210519_191455.jpg

Screenshot_20210620_162554_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 26

34 minutes ago, kazu said:

I’m sorry to say that your cilantro is bolting.

Don’t cut the flowers back.  It won’t do anything as the flavour starts to leave the leaves.  Cutting the flowers back won’t put the taste back in them.

Your best bet at this stage is to let the cilantro flowers go to seed.  The seeds of the cilantro plant are the spice coriander and can be used in many recipes.

So …why did it bolt?

Cilantro needs moist, cool weather.  If you don’t have that kind of weather you have to buy the slow bolt cilantro.  (Cilantro bred to withstand higher temps).

For cilantro, always do successive planting.  A few seeds every one - two weeks so that as one set starts to bolt, the next ones are ready to harvest.

Cilantro bolts fastest in late spring and mid summer.

Last tip - Harvest the leaves often.  The more you harvest cilantro, the more likely you will nip immature flowering stalks delaying the flowering.

Thank you Jacqui. I wondered why my cilantro loved North Idaho weather and here in Georgetown my plant is not growing well. We definitely do not have cool weather here! So as you suggest, I will let it go to seed and just buy cilantro at the Farmers market.. 

• Like 13

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday and First Day of Summer!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

@St. Louis Sal Happy Anniversary!

Happy Father’s Day!  Happy Ice Cream Soda Day!  Although, I prefer ice cream floats.  😎

I think I might have talked Craig into going to Alaska. He said we can talk about it today. I wasn’t really even considering Alaska because that was our last cruise 2 years ago but I just really need a cruise fix. I just don’t feel comfortable enough for Greece yet. I’ll probably call our PCC tomorrow to check out dates and cabins. 

@mamaofami So good to hear about your DH recovery but sorry about that fall he had. Don’t they have a call button in the restroom?

@StLouisCruisers Psalm 23 very appropriate and what a blessing you were able to celebrate her life. Safe travels to you and your family today. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 20

Happy Father's Day,  Anniversary, @St. Louis Sal ,  and Summer Solstice (I still think of it as Midsummer, not the first day of summer!).  We have been to Whitehorse, but by car,  in the days of film;   when we were in Skagway on a cruise we took the train but it only went this far:

P1000833.thumb.JPG.110a5ce7adf9770bc45fc1b24f0d09fb.JPG

• Like 25

I was too busy to post yesterday. 

Yesterday's "Bees Knees" cocktail calls for honey syrup. In case people were wondering what it is, it is pretty much simple syrup made with honey instead of sugar. Heat equal parts water and honey to a simmer and then let cool. The reason to use this is that honey is too viscous to mix easily into cold cocktails. 

A research note -

About ten days ago, "All the Man I Need" was the cocktail of the day (Bourbon, ginger liquor, simple syrup, lemon juice). I had said the Tequila and Rum versions were both good and promised to try the Gin version. I did so a few days ago and found it quite acceptable (but not as good as the Bramble or Aviation IMHO). For the Gin version, you might want to cut back a little on the ginger and simple syrup though. 

Happy Father's Day!

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Thank you Jacqui. I wondered why my cilantro loved North Idaho weather and here in Georgetown my plant is not growing well. We definitely do not have cool weather here! So as you suggest, I will let it go to seed and just buy cilantro at the Farmers market.. 

can’t answer your question - hard to say.  May have been a different variety?

This is the seed I used - it is slow bolt, in case it is of help

58FC6082-A883-47E9-BEDC-5A5ADD493387.thumb.jpeg.e717c468efe477b15118ad4a473c4c0e.jpeg

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning and happy Father’s Day!  
@St. Louis Salhappy anniversary!   
@cat shepardoh That wine sounds good,  DH loves J Lohr! Especially hilltop. 
@ger_77what a lovely thoughtful way to celebrate, by taking care!  
We’re going for a picnic to celebrate!  
Our little friend was just as curious about us,  these guys make short work of voles.  

E878C1D2-6778-403E-885E-1CAF25BCD807.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 21

10 minutes ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Yep. Had that one and these two.

St Louis Sal

F5A6FD6B-EF5D-43EB-BFF0-2D47C3586A6E.jpeg

You made it much farther north then we did. We didn't drive the "Top of the World Highway" so we didn't see the metropolis of Chicken, AK - but we did hear about it. 

• Like 8

Happy Father’s Day to all dads ! 

And a  Very Happy Anniversary to @St. Louis Sal maybe on your next cruise go for a Renewal  of Vows like we did on the Koningsdam , I can recommend it , it was wonderful and this time I did not have to promise anything ............!

1956337083_IMG_02812.thumb.JPG.cc30f3765495c47ecdf2c827359e2580.JPG

I had a perfect start of my father’s day when our son came over early , Martha made us a nice cheesy egg breakfast with sausages and than we were just in time to watch the start of the F-1 auto race this morning from France ,  on top of that , YES !!!! ,  the Dutchman we were rooting for Max Verstappen won the race , so the three of us could not have been happier .

We have not had the pleasure to make it out to Whitehorse , I would love to go there but there are no palm trees there that DW always like to see on her holidays  . On a Alaska cruise we once made it on the train from Skagway , just like Ann @VictOriann did  right up to the border which was a very nice ride  and it even went above the clouds 

So no pictures from me today but I will watch all of yours . 

Tony😉
  • Like 23

48 minutes ago, Sharon in AZ said:

Good morning everyone and Happy Sunday and First Day of Summer!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy. 

@St. Louis Sal Happy Anniversary!

Happy Father’s Day!  Happy Ice Cream Soda Day!  Although, I prefer ice cream floats.  😎

I think I might have talked Craig into going to Alaska. He said we can talk about it today. I wasn’t really even considering Alaska because that was our last cruise 2 years ago but I just really need a cruise fix. I just don’t feel comfortable enough for Greece yet. I’ll probably call our PCC tomorrow to check out dates and cabins. 

@mamaofami So good to hear about your DH recovery but sorry about that fall he had. Don’t they have a call button in the restroom?

@StLouisCruisers Psalm 23 very appropriate and what a blessing you were able to celebrate her life. Safe travels to you and your family today. 

Have a great day everyone!

Yes, they do have a call button, but apparently he forgot and thought he could walk unassisted.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Happy Father's Day!

A nice sunny start to summer.  I am hoping it doesn't get too hot so I can continue the battle of the weeds.

Dinner tonight will be take out from a local restaurant, courtesy of ds.  I am looking forward to not having to cook.

Val

• Like 17

Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there!  Our three dads,  DH, DS and DSIL, are off together to the U.S. Open at Torrey Pines today.  A very nice day out for them.  They will come home to a pot of gumbo and their wives and children.

The drink of the day sounds really yummy.  Wouldn't want to add the meal -- too many calories. 😂

Happy Anniversary, @St. Louis Sal.  I bet you were a very lovely June bride.  😍

Have a nice day, All.  It's so exciting watching the ships on the move and crewing up.  We're getting there!

• Like 22

3 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Today is also our wedding anniversary (51 years) so DH gets a double celebration. Two years ago we were on an Alaskan cruise on this day with friends who also got married June 20, 1970.

Happy Anniversary!

• Like 7

Good morning, all, and Happy Fathers Day! We have a sudden heat wave to usher in the first day of summer, and an ice cream soda would be perfect today.

I had a wonderful pineapple boat in Puerto Vallarta that was mostly chunks of grilled seafood and pineapple, with the barest token of rice added. It was wonderful!

Speaking of wonderful, DD who lives in Taiwan is coming home!!! Like so many expats there, she is a teacher and the schools are closed until fall, with all summer camps and classes cancelled. A lot of her friends have headed back to the US or Canada for a few months. She has a flight this Friday, then 3 days in a quarantine hotel. Then she isolates on Salt Spring for the rest of her 14 days. She already has a job lined up. Dad from Saskatchewan was already lined up to visit us in Chilliwack. I get to see both my girls in the next couple of weeks. It’s so exciting!

Happy Sunday! Life could only be better if we were on one of our BHBs!

F879EA68-1C9C-4422-B5CA-28E912A7E8AA.thumb.jpeg.f7cc9faf33544fb7f1d737684a612210.jpeg

Edited by Horizon chaser 1957
  • Like 26

5 hours ago, St. Louis Sal said:

Good morning all! 

Happy Father’s Day to any and all fathers here on the Daily! Today is also our wedding anniversary (51 years) so DH gets a double celebration. Two years ago we were on an Alaskan cruise on this day with friends who also got married June 20, 1970.

We have been to Whitehorse at least 5 times, two times as part of a cruise tour and twice on a land trip, plus one time, in Skagway, we rented a car and drove to Whitehorse for lunch. No Whitehorse pictures today though, my pictures are on my computer at home.

I have been in Fairbanks twice for the summer solstice and the first time there we got to go to the Midnight Sun baseball game (June 21). I had read about it and, although not that big of a baseball fan, decided we needed to go. I bought tickets, not really sure how we would get to & from the stadium. The Westmark Hotel agreed to shuttle us in between their airport runs. It was a fun event, mostly for locals, we were among the few tourists. First pitch is at 10 pm, they sing the Alaska state song at midnight. The game is over around 1:30 am and the whole thing is played with no lights. We met some friendly, fun people (atoll of whom wanted to buy us beer!)  The Alaska Goldpanners played a team from Beatrice, Nebraska. Tomorrow night they’ll be playing the Everett Merchants from Washington State.

Tonight we will be celebrating at the Level Two Steakhouse (with a nice glass of red wine). 

Prayers for all who need them 🙏 and celebrations as well 🍷. Take care all.

St Louis Sal

Happy Anniversary🥂

• Like 6

@St. Louis Sal Happy 51st Anniversary to you and your DH!

@Horizon chaser 1957 I'm delighted to hear your DD is coming home for a while!  I remember when our son lived in Tokyo (nearly 8 long years), I couldn't wait for the message that he'd be home for a brief visit.  You must be over the moon that not only one, but you'll have both your DD's home together.  I couldn't be happier for you!

We returned from the annual Father's Day cemetery clean-up (I mentioned the number of participants has dwindled over the years), with only 7 people in attendance this year.  No worries though, the little cemetery is looking neat and tidy once more with all the graves being swept off, the grass mowed, and the flowers have been replaced once more.  Now it's time for DH to for an afternoon siesta and we'll be looking at leftovers from last night later in the afternoon.  Enjoy the day!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 19

A couple of quick photos from Whitehorse.  The first will be the iconic steamboat SS Klondike, preserved as a museum ship:

ssklondike.jpg

And Whitehorse is the capitol of the Yukon.  Here's the Assembly building:

assembly.jpg

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

Happy Father's Day.  We will celebrate today just the 2 of us and then again on Friday when all our family is home.  I think it is good to keep celebrations going.

Summer is here!  Will enjoy every minute of summer days we get.

Thanks again for all the pictures, posts, and lists.  Praying for all.

Stay well and safe. Hope your day is awesome.

• Like 16