Go Green—reduced housekeeping services—is this new?

cruisestitch

On 7/3/2021 at 11:13 PM, Alakegirl said:

I found this but I wonder what it means  to “adjust the room ambiance” and really, is it too much to ask that someone proofread before they publish?

B2363D36-E557-4A7E-B915-87D01FAB1FEA.jpeg

Now isn't the time during a pandemic to skimp on cleaning services in the disguise of saving the environment . The only thing green about this is the money they will be saving. This is just appalling to me.  Keep your points. With the all inclusive booking model the the loyalty program doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

Edited by Iamcruzin
  • Like 5

17 hours ago, Sascol said:

We try to be green by hanging the towels once a day and using again. In 25 years on 25 cruises I do not recall EVER coming back to the same towels we hung up. We try but they seem to get replaced anyway. This seems to be the case on all cruise lines we have sailed. 

We have had the same experience.

• Like 1

On 7/5/2021 at 7:01 AM, Hlitner said:

A few related thoughts.  About 3 years ago, the resort hotel we visited, when in Myrtle Beach, suddenly stopped daily room cleaning (with little notice) and replaced it with a towel/linen change once every 3 days.  They did not reduce the room charges and, in fact, implemented a new extra fee for those who demanded daily cleaning.  We decided to take our business elsewhere and are now much happier in a rented Condo which gives us a lot more space/facilities for less money.

Airbnb is the way to go these days. My son has been doing this for the past two years. He is in Cabo now with 2 friends and rented  a 4 bedroom condo on the beach with an infinity pool luxury master suite rooftop patio and balconies for $120 a day total so it's costing $40 each. The women also arranged transportation for them and she arranged a chef to come and prepare a gourmet rooftop dinner for them for $100.  Last year he rented an Airbnb in St Thomas after his Hawaii trip was canceled due to covid.  This is something I'm considering until cruising becomes less of a hassle. 

2 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

Airbnb is the way to go these days. My son has been doing this for the past two years. He is in Cabo now with 2 friends and rented  a 4 bedroom condo on the beach with an infinity pool luxury master suite rooftop patio and balconies for $120 a day total so it's costing $40 each. The women also arranged transportation for them and she arranged a chef to come and prepare a gourmet rooftop dinner for them for $100.  Last year he rented an Airbnb in St Thomas after his Hawaii trip was canceled due to covid.  This is something I'm considering until cruising becomes less of a hassle. 

Thank you for sharing your son’s story.  I hope he enjoys his 4 bedroom condo on the beach with an infinity pool luxury master suite rooftop patio and balconies. 

5 minutes ago, Seany527 said:

Thank you for sharing your son’s story.  I hope he enjoys his 4 bedroom condo on the beach with an infinity pool luxury master suite rooftop patio and balconies. 

And doing his own housekeeping...does he wash his towels everyday?

Edited by LGW59

3 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I am about to  "stray"  to MSC for a cruise in October in their YC and I will sure report how I like it and if they also try to reduce service in the guise of " a good GREEN consience"! LOL.

“We” are green with envy but hope you have a fantastic cruise!

Edited by LGW59
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Germancruiser said:

I am about to  "stray"  to MSC for a cruise in October in their YC and I will sure report how I like it and if they also try to reduce service in the guise of " a good GREEN consience"! LOL.

We hope you will report back!

• Like 1

Oh yes I will sure report back- on a another topic of course. LOL. I know I get totaly off topic now, but I am have to tell how I hestitated to book with MSC. The reviews are below bad, the pictures I saw of the masses of passengers could make one run for ones money- but I heard good things of their Yacht Club though- so I thought I might give it try.

We welcome this opportunity, but understand why some will not want to do it.

Never needed a 2nd full clean in the evening, once a day is fine and they still retain the parts of the evening service that we value so we are happy to have opted in for our cruise next month.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

Never needed a 2nd full clean in the evening, once a day is fine and they still retain the parts of the evening service that we value so we are happy to have opted in for our cruise next month.

+1. Exactly. Will go green on Apex next week. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark_T said:

If you want to be green ask for trash pickup but keep your towels for a week.  They will dry and the ship will save water.

47 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you want to be green ask for trash pickup but keep your towels for a week.  They will dry and the ship will save water.

LOL.  Yeah, you do that.  There's a whole ocean you are sailing on, full of water.  Don't know what you're trying to save?😉

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zitsky said:

I'm ignoring the splendid irony of anything on a cruise ship being marketed as 'Green' as we wouldn't be cruising at all if that was the primary decision criteria.

However, reducing any sort of waste is not a bad thing, so happy to take the small step in that direction.

Re the towels, we have always rehung the towels to dry rather than leaving them in a pile each day, so no change there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Auntiemomo said:

LOL.  Yeah, you do that.  There's a whole ocean you are sailing on, full of water.  Don't know what you're trying to save?😉

If you had read this thread before commenting, you would realize that some people like this idea and some don't.  I think it's fine if people want to do it, but it should not be mandatory.  I was simply explaining to people how they could be green by saving *even more* water.

What is a "momo" anyway?

10 minutes ago, zitsky said:

If you had read this thread before commenting, you would realize that some people like this idea and some don't.  I think it's fine if people want to do it, but it should not be mandatory.  I was simply explaining to people how they could be green by saving *even more* water.

What is a "momo" anyway?

Agreed.  If you want to do it, great do it, if you don't want to, then great just don't, it is an option.  All the unnecessary comment about I paid for this, it's a big ocean...other than your cabin attendant, no one will know if we do or do not do it.  

• Like 1