EDGE JULY 10, 2021 (semi) LIVE

graphicguy

I also wanted  to thank you for your  post.    These live posts have really given me some excitement about cruising again.  

Our last same day flight was an International Flight from SFO to LHR with a cruise out of Dover.   It worked except we had extremely strong tail winds which put us into LHR early and we had to circle for an hour waiting for Heathrow to open.     We had arranged a Celebrity Transfer  an then had to wait for 2 hours before their first bus with no place to sit down.   

Once we got to the ship we went straight to bed for a nap but felt like we lost a complete day.   Surprisingly  we felt rejuvenated  and made dinner the first night.   After that we always fly in a day before but if we had to would do a same day flight again.  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, graphicguy said:

With the FL Hurricane, especially this time of year, I’m well aware of how that can wreak havoc on travel there.  Have mentioned before, I have a plan, a back up plan and a back up plan to my back up plan.

I was ready to book flying in Friday, instead of sail away day on Saturday.  Looks like that won’t be necessary.  The flight booked have been pretty much on time all week.  And, tracking the flight (direct) looking forward to Saturday, I’m in great shape.  Plan A is holding steady.  I’ll give one more look to the flight tomorrow, but don’t expect any changes.  All systems GO!

2h 27m

I know there are only been 1,418 threads on flying in the day of, and glad it looks good for you tomorrow. But I’ll make one snarky comment: I bet you’d not be tracking prior flights and so on that much if you weren’t flying in the day of and cutting it close. 

But it looks good for you, and realize many fly in the day of, and yes, saw the price jumps on Friday night. we will drive over, and although we live in Fla, its just short if 9hr drive from the Panhandle! Will stay in a hotel an hr or so away and Not get hit by the FLL game of jumping up the prices nights prior to cruises. 

Den

• Like 1

3 hours ago, graphicguy said:

With the FL Hurricane, especially this time of year, I’m well aware of how that can wreak havoc on travel there.  Have mentioned before, I have a plan, a back up plan and a back up plan to my back up plan.

I was ready to book flying in Friday, instead of sail away day on Saturday.  Looks like that won’t be necessary.  The flight booked have been pretty much on time all week.  And, tracking the flight (direct) looking forward to Saturday, I’m in great shape.  Plan A is holding steady.  I’ll give one more look to the flight tomorrow, but don’t expect any changes.  All systems GO!

Date
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft
Duration
Saturday
10-Jul-2021
07:20AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:25AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 05m
Friday
09-Jul-2021
07:10AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:35AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 25m

PAST FLIGHTS

Date
Departure
Arrival
Aircraft
Duration
Thursday
08-Jul-2021
07:08AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:34AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 26m
Wednesday
07-Jul-2021
07:10AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:41AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 31m
Tuesday
06-Jul-2021
07:13AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:45AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 32m
Monday
05-Jul-2021
07:11AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:28AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 17m
Sunday
04-Jul-2021
07:12AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:30AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 18m
Saturday
03-Jul-2021
07:14AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:41AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 27m
Friday
02-Jul-2021
07:15AM EDTCincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport - CVG
09:42AM EDTFort Lauderdale Intl - FLL
A320
2h 27m

THANK YOU for sharing this--I decided to look up the flight I changed us too & throwing out the days Elsa might have affected flights, we would miss our connection (last one of the day) 4 of the last 6 times. We are rebooking a much earlier flight.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I'm sure you will have no trouble spending.    If I really Edge has a really nice handbag store with many of the more expensive bags that many women LOVE.  

Thanks, Jim!  Yeah....I don't think I'll have much trouble finding something the GF will like on board. 😉

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

I know there are only been 1,418 threads on flying in the day of, and glad it looks good for you tomorrow. But I’ll make one snarky comment: I bet you’d not be tracking prior flights and so on that much if you weren’t flying in the day of and cutting it close. 

But it looks good for you, and realize many fly in the day of, and yes, saw the price jumps on Friday night. we will drive over, and although we live in Fla, its just short if 9hr drive from the Panhandle! Will stay in a hotel an hr or so away and Not get hit by the FLL game of jumping up the prices nights prior to cruises. 

Den

I get it.  Not saying my way is the right way for anyone.  It's the right way for ME!  

I don't think I'm cutting it close.  I'm on the early flight..the first flight out, which gets me into FLL roughly 7.5 hours before sail away. Barring that, last flight available if something goes sideways gets me to FLL around 2.5 hours before sailing.  There are about 3 flights in between.  And, a couple of them are flying in to MIA, just in case something goes sideways at FLL.

The reason I'm keeping an eye on flights is because of the hurricane that just passed.  Doesn't look like flights were affected much at all.

Truth told, if I was driving in from the panhandle, I would do the same as you.  Drive in the day before.  No way I'd drive 9 hours and then hit the cruise port to embark.

Travel time for me, from the time I pull out of my driveway to CVG (40 minutes, probably no traffic that time of the a.m., and on a weekend) to the time I board and-wheels up-fly-wheels down at FLL-grab an Uber/Lyft/Taxi to the pier....at the check in line.... should be around 4.0 hours.

Nap on the plane, then adrenalin kicks in upon stepping onto the ship, which hopefully carries me through dropping off carry ons, exploring, dusk, drinks and eats in between.  Fingers crossed, I make it to midnight.  Reality?  10-ish is more like it.

Edited by graphicguy
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Luckynana said:

Following!!  Safe travels, and have a wonderful cruise!   Thank you to your GF for her Service!!

Thanks....I'll tell her shortly as she's on her way home from her shift.

• Like 2

Graphicguy - your buck and your schedule. But 4hrs from home to ship terminal? Your flight is 2.5 hrs; your drive to the airport is 40min; you are flying a weekend so all, and I do mean All, airports I have been to are jammed full this summer so unless you want to add more risk, you’d be smart to be there at least 1.5hrs prior to flight time - my local airport (yup a vacation area) is telling all to be there 3hrs prior and they are Not joking; it takes you 45min+ to get though FLL and then taxi/whatever to the terminal. thats more like 6hrs+ with everything working perfectly. 

You’ve done it and will do it again and again. But don’t mislead others that it’s an easy 4hrs for direct east-of-the-Miss flight travels. 

Enjoy your cruise and I posted this not for you and I to get into a back and forth, but for others who may buy in on that schedule you think will work so well.

den

@Denny01….I did make a mistake.   I should land between 9:20 a.m. and 9:45 a.m.  All carryons, so no waiting at baggage claim.  Should be getting into my Uber around 10:00-10:15 a.m.  30 minute ride or thereabouts?  My check in is 12:00-12:30.

So, I’ll be milling about for an hour or so at the pier if I went there directly.

The good news is I can hang at Delta’s Sky Lounge for a bit so I can get to my check in near noon.

I’ll chronicle my time frame here if I have enough data bandwidth available.

Just showing how do it, why I do it and the rules I use with the process I employ.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Den

It’s actually 1,419, I went back and counted! 🤣🤣

Cheers! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

@Denny01….I did make a mistake.   I should land between 9:20 a.m. and 9:45 a.m.  All carryons, so no waiting at baggage claim.  Should be getting into my Uber around 10:00-10:15 a.m.  30 minute ride or thereabouts?  My check in is 12:00-12:30.

So, I’ll be milling about for an hour or so at the pier if I went there directly.

The good news is I can hang at Delta’s Sky Lounge for a bit so I can get to my check in near noon.

Just showing how do it, why I do it and the rules I use with the process I employ.

Sounds great. We also get access to the Delta Sky Lounge and that is a savings when traveling. Love it and it’s worth it……for us. 

Isn’t it funny how so many of us, especially in this crowd of cruisers, have gone the route to making life and travel easier instead of ‘cheaper’. I’ve posted this before, but at this age, I can spend more on ‘stuff’ that helps us, realizing in 10-15 years from now, I won’t need the funds we’ve saved; I’ll be sitting on my front porch yelling at the teenagers to stay off my grass! 

Den

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Following along!

We are on the 7/31 sailing also in a Sky Suite. We got a 2:30 - 3:00 boarding time. Did I read in one of the many. many threads for recent cruises that they are less strict for Suite guests, or am I just making that up???

In any event, we will be driving down from Orlando that morning and any time can work. 

mac_tlc

• Like 1

Just now, mac_tlc said:

Following along!

We are on the 7/31 sailing also in a Sky Suite. We got a 2:30 - 3:00 boarding time. Did I read in one of the many. many threads for recent cruises that they are less strict for Suite guests, or am I just making that up???

In any event, we will be driving down from Orlando that morning and any time can work. 

mac_tlc

I think I read the same thing.  But, I’m not one who likes waiting around the pier waiting because I was too early.   So, I’ll just try to get there as close to noon as I can, as that’s my boarding time.

Just got my health questionnaire email.  Filled it out and knocking off each step right until I set foot on the ship.  

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

Following along!

mac_tlc

No you are not making it up.

There have been reports that Suite guests have just been allowed to check in when boarding opens or when they arrive. Noon is the earliest boarding time.

• Like 1

It’s nice to see you on the Celebrity boards. You always provided so much knowledge and insight for NCL. 

I too was burned one too many times by them and the “Return to Sea” Jamaica mixup was the nail in their coffin. 

I was able to sail with Celebrity on the Millennium in June and it was truly great, even compared to NCL. The only aspect that really got in the way was their dress code. But it didn’t hinder my overall experience as my next two cruises are both with Celebrity. 

I’m excited to follow along and get your POV. Bon Voyage! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Seany527 said:

It’s nice to see you on the Celebrity boards. You always provided so much knowledge and insight for NCL. 

I too was burned one too many times by them and the “Return to Sea” Jamaica mixup was the nail in their coffin. 

I was able to sail with Celebrity on the Millennium in June and it was truly great, even compared to NCL. The only aspect that really got in the way was their dress code. But it didn’t hinder my overall experience as my next two cruises are both with Celebrity. 

I’m excited to follow along and get your POV. Bon Voyage! 

Thanks….I’ve whined enough about my (our) shared NCL experiences over the last 60-90 days.  Sorry you suffered the same experiences with them.

Good to know you had a good recent experience with Celebrity.  I’m expecting nothing less.  The vast majority of what I’ve read and watched (mostly YouTubers) has been overwhelmingly positive about their start up.

Looking forward to sailing on the Edge.  Finishing my packing now (taking a break trying to figure out what makes the cut to go into the limited carry on suitcase space).  I’m certainly not going to be a fashion icon on board…nowhere close.  But, what I wear will suffice. And, I will be comfortable.

Hope I can provide some insight as we sail away and help a few people along the way.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Thanks….I’ve whined enough about my (our) shared NCL experiences over the last 60-90 days.  Sorry you suffered the same experiences with them.

Good to know you had a good recent experience with Celebrity.  I’m expecting nothing less.  The vast majority of what I’ve read and watched (mostly YouTubers) has been overwhelmingly positive about their start up.

We did 4 Celebrity cruises within 4 years & really enjoyed them.

We then did our first NCL & loved it too, for different reasons.

THAT BEING SAID--I must say that from what I have read Celebrity ran circle around NCL regarding cancelled cruises. 

I will say we booked 2 NCL this summer that got cancelled & our money was returned promptly; additionally I booked one, then cancelled it (it was eventually cancelled) to book the Edge & again, NCL was prompt with refund. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, KKB said:

We did 4 Celebrity cruises within 4 years & really enjoyed them.

We then did our first NCL & loved it too, for different reasons.

THAT BEING SAID--I must say that from what I have read Celebrity ran circle around NCL regarding cancelled cruises. 

I will say we booked 2 NCL this summer that got cancelled & our money was returned promptly; additionally I booked one, then cancelled it (it was eventually cancelled) to book the Edge & again, NCL was prompt with refund. 

Thanks!  Excited!

Month and a half after I requested my NCL refund……..still waiting!

14 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Month and a half after I requested my NCL refund……..still waiting!

Ouch….aggravating but it will get sorted.😉

We sail both NCL and Celebrity and have had many cruises over the last 15 months cancelled, rebooked, FCC issued & lift and shifted that I needed a spreadsheet and a shot of tequila to sort it all out.

Celebrity was the longest refund at the beginning of the pandemic at 88 days. NCL topped out at 55 days. FCC has been issued faster on NCL but has not always been correct🙄
It’s the airlines I am having the hardest time with. 

The blessing is we are booked, luggage is upstairs and I have 4 weeks to the day to figure out what to pack😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pixiedust777 said:

Ouch….aggravating but it will get sorted.😉

We sail both NCL and Celebrity and have had many cruises over the last 15 months cancelled, rebooked, FCC issued & lift and shifted that I needed a spreadsheet and a shot of tequila to sort it all out.

Aha!
NOW I know what I’ve been doing wrong! I only have a spreadsheet! 
No wonder I haven’t sorted it all out yet. 

• Haha 3