Celebrity edge has 1 vaccinated pax test positive

6 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

Facial recognition, cameras and software that can track your face as you move from camera to camera.

Thanks.  I wonder if face masks, sunglasses and hats can throw a wrench into the facial recognition algorithm.

3 minutes ago, soremekun said:

Thanks.  I wonder if face masks, sunglasses and hats can throw a wrench into the facial recognition algorithm.

On a Ship shouldn't be too hard. Limited number Passengers compare to and tracking on many Camera's, times and locations. If they really want see someone they can figure it out

50 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

So the person had a cold. big deal.

The pandemic will never end as long as a cold makes the news

Maybe they could replace the water in the pool with hand sanitizer and require everyone to dive in three times a day. 

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, James4me said:

Just because you got vaccinated does not mean you’re not getting Covid.  You can still get it and transfer to unvaccinated people.

My wife was scheduled to have surgery two days ago.The Surgeon had to cancel the procedure as he has Covid.He was vaccinated.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, GTO-Girl said:

I just read on the Celebrity board that the Captain just had the announcement a second person has now come down with Covid on the Edge…..

Better get that contact tracing equipment  going before more come down with it.

Someone just came back from 4/5 day Breeze positive and quite mad at carnival lacks of protocols, but tbh I suspect each case will be entirely different. Such a short cruise. Unvaccinated kids tested before the ship returned to Galveston and son tested positive. Twice, tested parents, and mom but not dad positive. Carnival gave her free internet time to book a quarantine hotel and agreed to pay for the ambulance to the hotel. OP lives in CT, didnt drive. 

Additionally note after aug 2nd carnival is requiring any unvaccinated pax to show proof of insurance out of texas now in additional to florida. Over the age of 12. .. though doesnt apply op is vaccinated and child under age 12. Other than paying for hotel, or special flight to CT, what do you all think the cruiselines should do. 

I'm driving to all cruises I have booked until march 2023. I'm overly cautious perhaps some say. Bound to keep on happening, it's how its handled maybe what counts. What would you all expect if you test positive. 

20210729_135504147.jpeg

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GTO-Girl said:

I just read on the Celebrity board that the Captain just had the announcement a second person has now come down with Covid on the Edge…..

Yep myn onboard posted:

image.png.3ed2eeb6a8f3e4eaa4420f8428331051.png

Yep. JMO it's nice that Celebrity is transparent about all their cases (including Millennium in Alaska) so people will become more aware of the possibility and therefore it shouldn't be a shock if it happens on their sailing - plus we get to see the protocols working in action.

I do feel really sad for the people whose cruise ended this way though...

Alaska Millennium info:

https://maritime-executive.com/article/cases-of-covid-19-reported-aboard-alaska-cruise-ships

3 hours ago, orville99 said:

And...I both know, and have referenced the Law, not the Covid knock off. The medical team on Celebrity is prevented by law from disclosing personal health information to anyone other than at the request of a legitimate agency. (i.e. medical provider, governmental agency tasked with collecting those data for analysis, or a legal request as part of a litigation action.

wrong,

a cruise line is not bound by HIPAA as they are not a medical provider nor a third party participant in healthcare.

now, there are many reasons they would not release the vaccine received by the individual at hand, but HIPAA is not one of them

Edited by not-enough-cruising

1 hour ago, lenquixote66 said:

My wife was scheduled to have surgery two days ago.The Surgeon had to cancel the procedure as he has Covid.He was vaccinated.

OMG! I hope your wife is doing OK. My uncle just had a surgery and I was praying for him and the medical crew not to fall sick (especially with covid). Hope everything goes well with her. 

1 hour ago, soremekun said:

I don't know the exact s/w they use, but typical high speed systems build a model of the person's face based on skin contrast. SO masks, sunglasses and the like don't directly affect the accuracy. There is a bias based on skin color however.

The computing power needed to directly match your SetSail picture to video of you and hundreds of others moving around in realtime "probably" isn't practical on a ship at sea. So, people are tracked with low fidelity unless they need to trace YOU and then they will pull the video and look.

Facial_recognition.jpg

Edited by Dat Cruisin Couple
Add pic

20 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

wrong,

a cruise line is not bound by HIPAA as they are not a medical provider nor a third party participant in healthcare.

now, there are many reasons they would not release the vaccine received by the individual at hand, but HIPAA is not one of them

Wrong, the medical staff on a cruise ship are under the direct management of a licensed physician. The medical treatment of a passenger by a licensed physician is indeed bound by HIPAA.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Agree, Besides the average Healthy Full Vax Adult won't need a third shot Booster. 

Agreed.  Though there is a percentage of the population who would gladly line up monthly if told to.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, bouhunter said:

Agreed.  Though there is a percentage of the population who would gladly line up monthly if told to.....

Agree, High Risk like my Mother would set her up at some point. Me, Kids and Grands, not needed

Edited by ONECRUISER

12 minutes ago, orville99 said:

Wrong, the medical staff on a cruise ship are under the direct management of a licensed physician. The medical treatment of a passenger by a licensed physician is indeed bound by HIPAA.

Are they licensed in the US?

Are they bound by US federal privacy laws?

Is care received on a cruise ship in international waters governed by American law?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Are they licensed in the US?

Are they bound by US federal privacy laws?

Is care received on a cruise ship in international waters governed by American law?

They are bound by U.S. Health Department rules which is one of the requirements for the ship to port in the U.S.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, orville99 said:

No information identifying the person who tested positive was given out. no violation.

The captain went on the shipwide PA and announced that someone tested positive. Starts at 53 seconds in.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Someone just came back from 4/5 day Breeze positive and quite mad at carnival lacks of protocols, but tbh I suspect each case will be entirely different. Such a short cruise. Unvaccinated kids tested before the ship returned to Galveston and son tested positive. Twice, tested parents, and mom but not dad positive. Carnival gave her free internet time to book a quarantine hotel and agreed to pay for the ambulance to the hotel. OP lives in CT, didnt drive. 

Additionally note after aug 2nd carnival is requiring any unvaccinated pax to show proof of insurance out of texas now in additional to florida. Over the age of 12. .. though doesnt apply op is vaccinated and child under age 12. Other than paying for hotel, or special flight to CT, what do you all think the cruiselines should do. 

I'm just curious, but i have yet to read of Carnival granting any of the 5% exemptions to adults, seems all have been children so far

Edited by cruisegus
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

No information identifying the person who tested positive was given out. no violation.

The captain went on the shipwide PA and announced that someone tested positive. Starts at 53 seconds in.

That was neither the question being asked nor the issue being addressed. The question was "what vaccine did the infected patient receive" Disclosing that information without the permission of the patient is the HIPAA issue.

Edited by orville99

4 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I'm just curious, but i have yet to read of Carnival granting any of the 5% exemptions to adults, seems all have been children so far

Idk not many have posted they got the exemption.

I said it wrong that she is doing quarantine in Galveston, the hotel is near hobby close to the airport the carnival provided ambulance took her family. I asked her why she was upset. She said carnival didnt know that her husband and daughter couldnt fly home, said yes, then  no. They are negative but been exposed. Idk if airlines and different states protocols played into this. I would think each case will be so different also depending if they flew or drove and where home is. Curious.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I'm driving to all cruises I have booked until march 2023. I'm overly cautious perhaps some say. Bound to keep on happening, it's how its handled maybe what counts. What would you all expect if you test positive. 

20210729_135504147.jpeg

Cruise lines have stated policies about how they will deal with positive cases, and we have seen that carried out several times already; however, these policies are also limited in scope and will expire by the end of the year if not sooner. 

That is why cruise lines are requiring the unvaccinated to have proof of insurance. Perhaps it is time for others to consider it as well because the cruise lines will not bear the financial responsibility going forward. The risks involved in cruising now are different, and people who choose to do so need to be prepared to handle unplanned events like a positive test resulting in quarantine and altered travel arrangements.

15 minutes ago, Babr said:

Cruise lines have stated policies about how they will deal with positive cases, and we have seen that carried out several times already; however, these policies are also limited in scope and will expire by the end of the year if not sooner. 

That is why cruise lines are requiring the unvaccinated to have proof of insurance. Perhaps it is time for others to consider it as well because the cruise lines will not bear the financial responsibility going forward. The risks involved in cruising now are different, and people who choose to do so need to be prepared to handle unplanned events like a positive test resulting in quarantine and altered travel arrangements.

I agree with you regarding insurance for everyone.  There are far too many vaccinated who are testing positive; it's obvious now that being vaccinated is not going to protect you against becoming infected (either that or the tests are bogus, which I personally believe to be the case).  Royal cannot continue to fly people home in private jets.  I think adding the requirement for everyone to be tested prior to boarding will help but the cruise lines need to be sure that if someone tests positive (whether they've been vaccinated or not) they need to be able to get home safely without exposing others.

9 minutes ago, RFerrington said:

I agree with you regarding insurance for everyone.  There are far too many vaccinated who are testing positive; it's obvious now that being vaccinated is not going to protect you against becoming infected (either that or the tests are bogus, which I personally believe to be the case).  Royal cannot continue to fly people home in private jets.  I think adding the requirement for everyone to be tested prior to boarding will help but the cruise lines need to be sure that if someone tests positive (whether they've been vaccinated or not) they need to be able to get home safely without exposing others.

But they are not going to continue ensuring everyone gets home. That is the point. When the cruise line assistance runs its course, it is up to the passenger to bear the cost and inconvenience.

There are hotels contracted for the purpose of housing positive patients who do not require medical care or there are hospitals for those who do. The cruise line would likely help make arrangements for either, but they will not pay for it nor will they pay for your return home.