The Daily for Thursday July 29, 2021

richwmn

Dfish, the recipe looks great ! I may have to steal it for 13 year old  grandson. He loves Hawaiian rolls and can make a meal on them alone.

So sorry about Camilla's discharge. Prayers for her and your family. 

• Like 11

Good morning from a mostly sunny central Texas.

Tigers are my favorite big cat.  They are so regal looking, and deserve our help to protect them and their habitat.  Chicken wings are good if they are not too spicy.  I try to remember to wear lipstick along with make up, but got our of the lipstick habit when we were wearing masks so often.

The quote is a good one to try to live by, but it's not easy.

I'll pass on the drink and the wine. biut the meal sounds good.

@smitty34877  Sorry Miss Camilla could not come home, but it sounds like she is where she needs to be until she outgrows the heart issue.

@cat shepard  Good luck at the doctor's office and hope he just wants to x-ray to see how the knee is progressing.

@JazzyV  Vanessa, hope everyting goes well at the doctors.

@kazu  Beautiful flowers

The Pinsendam took us to Ny Alesund om August 12, 2016.  The best way to describe the area is barren.  DH has a t-shirt that says "don't come here to die".  The permafrost makes it impossible to bury anyone thus there is no cemetery on the island.  If someone is ill and looks like they might die, they will send them to another town.  Ny Alesund is a research station for the most part so there are few if any permanent residents.

There were no tours offered.  Everyone just walked around town and were told to stay on the main paths.  Crew memebers were stationed along the paths to remind us not to stray.  Polar bears are in the area, so caution is necessary.  

DSC05901.thumb.JPG.ad830d7656e37e62817e4eb24556c7c7.JPG

The local museum that was interesting

DSC05920.thumb.JPG.8a904072010763e41c3f9dfd2bc2fd2a.JPG

The post office where you could put a stamp in your passport

DSC05921.thumb.JPG.970a207c26c6db6446c45397c1b007e8.JPG

A statue of Roald Amundsen, the famous Norwegian explorer

DSC05924.thumb.JPG.e2338b5d6209a70befe4fb0518e91f72.JPG

These three pictures tell the story of why we were not allowed to stray from the path

DSC05932.thumb.JPG.d0bc23d1791a3a608a2486249d87276e.JPG

DSC05933.thumb.JPG.9c1c4f266371066fcc2fb9d008370f20.JPG

DSC05934.thumb.JPG.4e39ec4721a439ceea07ee67cbaeb9b1.JPG

The dog kennels

DSC05935.thumb.JPG.982edfcaa62b969b5c87bea21f59a864.JPG

The area outside the boundary for our walk

DSC05938.thumb.JPG.5555ada5899e270d22b2cb3e9f2148fe.JPG

I think the next two are their power plant and maintenance building

DSC05941.thumb.JPG.aa785477c7cf08408a663af80b70bbf6.JPG

DSC05942.thumb.JPG.01aa9720164136c54dffa829b4ff8a37.JPG

Some of the houses, the hotel and the town

DSC05928.thumb.JPG.50d065ad98ed4289a34972cd84249a18.JPG

DSC05929.thumb.JPG.77edd273339745d485b8c2fb6b729175.JPG

DSC05943.thumb.JPG.9364dc3f7076beefb3ab3bfab177975f.JPG

DSC05944.thumb.JPG.4b459f0174e2668b11cd27b147a57d38.JPG

This little truck was parked along the road back to the ship

DSC05965.thumb.JPG.03ada4527cd1716a76da030056ecbff5.JPG

Our home away from home

DSC05911.thumb.JPG.176ba6705a5b473f11acbaeacfcf3542.JPG

Ny Alesund was not as far north as we sailed.  The edge of the polar ice cap and ice floes was a little further north.  This picture was taken the morning before our arrival in Ny Alesund.  Captain Tim Roberts took us on an unscheduled sceinic cruise in the bay where the ship is positioned in the picture.  We were looking for polar bears and saw a mame with two cubs and a large male.  They were so far away on land that theiy turned out fuzay dots in my picutures.  I believe after that scenic cruising, the bay was added to the itinerary.  At least, Captain Tim was going to lobby for it's additon.

DSC05837.thumb.JPG.b33048d52b0b6cc7531d5afe31542a6a.JPG

Lenda

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for your photos of Ny Alesund!  They are very reminiscent of Longyearbyen including the polar bear warnings.  Did you notice a lot of coal dust and bits all around the town, especially along the roads?  That was something we were all surprised about in Longyearbyen.  

Maybe Roy will be able to add his photos this afternoon.  Very small town so not many differences, but all are welcomed.

• Like 10

@cat shepard  Enjoyed the new installment of your adventures. 

Dittifoss is amazing.  We discovered it in 2017 when we rented a car and drove to Godafoss and then further, winding up at Dittifoss.  Remembering the walk to the waterfalls, I am amazed you made it with the cast.  Your guide went above and beyond so you could enjoy the falls.  

Lenda

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Divi said:

@ger_77Where did you read that HAL is now accepting AZ + Pfizer/Moderna as fully vaccinated?

Thank you, Deen

It’s on the Know Before you go under “What Vaccination….”

Out of the U.S., it can’t be mixed vaccines.  For cruises departing out of Europe, it can be AZ with an MRNA vaccine.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

@Divi. I posted this on the vaccine thread on the HAL board last night:

12 hours ago, kazu said:

A slight change in the policy now.

those departing out of the U.S. are ok with 2 MRNA vaccines or J & J.

those departing outside of the U.S. are considered fully vaccinated with mixed vaccines - AZ and MRNA vaccine.  Good news for Canadians in part 🙂 

From the HAL FAQ’s page:

2300EF51-DD9E-4CF0-B476-54A8B6F87884.thumb.png.7d40830bc70ce7f294ffa7fe0f973645.png

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

@Quartzsite Cruiserthanks for your photos of Ny Alesund!  They are very reminiscent of Longyearbyen including the polar bear warnings.  Did you notice a lot of coal dust and bits all around the town, especially along the roads?  That was something we were all surprised about in Longyearbyen.  

Maybe Roy will be able to add his photos this afternoon.  Very small town so not many differences, but all are welcomed.

Sandi, I don't think we noticed coal dust and bits.  I don't remember them and looking at all my Ny Alesund pictures, the roads were not as dark as the ones in Longyearbyen.  The only place any was noticeable was near the power plant and the building that had the pile of coal outside it.  The roads were more well packed dirt.

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 7

@kazu Thank you. I actually saw your post about the change but apparently it was before my first coffee and it didn’t register. 🙄

We are booked on the Rotterdam TA and hoping for clarification before final payment. Still hurdles to overcome including Canada’s travel advisories against international travel and cruises. We are very grateful to be fully vaccinated and don’t regret the vaccines we received.

I know it will all be sorted, just hope the timing works for us.

Deen

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

@cat shepard  Enjoyed the new installment of your adventures. 

Dittifoss is amazing.  We discovered it in 2017 when we rented a car and drove to Godafoss and then further, winding up at Dittifoss.  Remembering the walk to the waterfalls, I am amazed you made it with the cast.  Your guide went above and beyond so you could enjoy the falls.  

Lenda

He really did, Lenda. Which is why I sing his praises to anyone who will listen. And his company’s survey reflected my feelings.  

• Like 7

Wow. It's still morning? Seems like I've been working all day.. lots of chores, laundry, bookkeeping and Allen wanted biscuits and gravy for breakfast. 

Thank you Rich for the great Daily today.

Jacqui and Bruno: I started my prayers this morning with your friend and Michael's family. Prayers up to little Camilla for a strong heart.

Ann your Iceland trip looks amazing. (Thinking of you and hoping the doctor visit goes well) Thanks to all for the pictures. Wow..

Love chicken wings, tigers and use lip gloss only. Blessings, prayers and cheers.

image.png.1264560cde3f3381032bb059545db7f5.png

image.png.8794e435ae5f3e454899af38a7b57cad.png

image.png.e9018ffe76e00accc47b41c77856e7b7.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Good morning!  We finally got some rain last night (accompanied by a fierce thunderstorm), along with flash flooding in some areas.  Those burn scars are going to be around for a long time!  But everyone is thankful for any moisture received.  It helped to break the heat at least for a day or two.

Many thanks to all for maintaining the Daily with good/sometimes bad news.  Prayers for all on the care list.  Miss Camilla looks very upset with the world--imagine that attitude will help her with getting home!  She is beautiful.

Now, my August 21 cruise to Alaska is seeming even more possible.  Guess I need to pick my seats on the flight to Seattle.  Have my excursions all sorted!  Looks like it is rainy today in Ketchikan!  I have never been there without there being rain.  

The pictures of Iceland and Norway are fabulous.  Both are areas are colder than I would like, but I would love to see both countries!

I am going to an outdoor concert tonight with family.  Hope we don't have a repeat of last night's weather, or there will be no concert!

Have a great day, everyone!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning,

Just wanted to pop in and thank everyone for the outpouring of thoughts and prayers, it means so much!  You're all in my prayers as well, even if I haven't replied, keeping up on the dailies is impossible once you've fallen behind.

We're absolutely overwhelmed at the moment, a lot of unexpected problems.  Unbeknownst to me Michael was "committed" to his wife but not legally wed, therefore the responsibility fell on his 80+ parents (his Mother has late stage lung cancer) to work out paperwork matters with the funeral home and ME's office.  Thank God for a spry family friend that was willing to do all the coordinating and running around back and forth for signatures in hellish traffic (we're 30 miles away).  We thought we were all done at 4:00 yesterday when this particular county wanted birth certificates, UGH...so off the family friend went (this guy has the patience of a saint).  It's all so frustrating when every county has different rules, but it opened up my eyes on some gaps in my own affairs that I will need to tend to, so I suppose the red tape is good for something.  And the funeral home was no help whatsoever, you'd think they would be with what they charge!  

The saddest news of all came out of the ME's office, massive heart attack, and most likely preventable if he had only gone to the doctor for regular checkups (he didn't), the condition would have been discovered and fairly easily fixable.

The last little bit of news was Dear Dad's wanting to continue with our plans to cruise in September, I naturally offered to cancel or postpone, but he feels he will need the getaway more than ever now.  So those arrangements continue on top of everything else and we're meeting with the pet sitter today so she can meet the cat.  

But again, thanks so so much for the outpouring of thoughts.  The people cruising this week I hope you had a great time and bon voyage to those cruising next week. 

Have a great day!

Bruno

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6