The Daily for Friday July 30, 2021

richwmn

33 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

This isn't really Skagway but I noticed it on one of the Volendam stair landings before disembarking the ship.  Here's to anyone who ever had a senior moment or a typo:

oops.jpg

OMG 😱 LOL 🤣😅

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

My first cruise was an Alaska tour/cruise in 1987. We were on the tour portion and had spent the night in White Horse, Canada then took the train down to Skagway. At the time White Horse was a beautiful little town so clean that you could have eaten off the streets and Skagway was very, very old and very, very dirty. I have no photos of Skagway, just a postcard of the Red Onion Saloon.

It is good to see that Skagway has cleaned up real nice. Seeing the recent photo's, I would like to go again.

Jane

• Like 12

@durangoscots that patio door is going to drive you to drink!  I can only begin to imagine the conversation you had with the folks from Home Depot.  I know what I'd have had to say about it, so . . .   LOL

@dfish I like your idea of climbing beneath a mattress with a bottle of wine to ride out a possible tornado !

Sorry to the folks who think cilantro tastes like soap - some of us like it in almost everything and no soapy taste.  Thankfully DH likes it almost as much as I do, so I don't worry about overdoing it in a recipe.

Have a safe weekend everyone!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 14

6 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Bertie Woofster is looking good!  What type of dog is he?  Lab?

Not really sure what he is.  He was abandoned and needed a home.  

His head looks kind of like a lab, but his legs are short and his body is long.  Some people think he has some sheltie in him.  The vet thought maybe some spaniel and dachshund too.  He has webbed toes.  But he is a good little boy.  I can't imagine why anyone would move and leave him in an apartment.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, rafinmd said:

We had some of that too.  Not my immediate neighborhood but within a stones throw of the Wegman's Grocery and Panera where I shop and dine, a tornado wiped out part of the wall of a BJ's Club:

Capture.JPG.0ca49ebb93f15f77c4c7713b35e323f8.JPG

Roy

Wow! I hadn't heard about that. We just got the thunder, lightening, and rain. No wind at all!

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

@Cruising-alongI'm one of those people that think cilantro tastes like soap.  Good thing my husband doesn't like it either.  I usually substitute parsley for it in a recipe.  

MY DH can take it or leave it, so I leave it 😉  Funny thing, I like Salsa (unless it's thick with cilantro).  If there are enough other strong tasting ingredients I can handle it.  Otherwise, one tiny speck can ruin a whole dish for me.  I really, really wish I liked it.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

We've had a lot of nice photos of Skagway, and I'll add just a few more or less at least related to Skagway.  Skagway was my first ever port of disembarkation, getting off the ferry Matanuska there after a journey from Ketchikan.  I've been there several times since but only twice on BHB's embarking the Zaandam after a land trip in 2002 and disembarking the Volendam on my Grand Alaska Panama in 2018.  The photos will be from the Grand Alaska Panama.  Here's an overview from the Volendam's top deck:

skagway1.jpg

I've posted this before but it was my last trip with Roger and the next day we took the White Pass to Whitehorse:

yukon.jpg

There's a tradition of crews leaving messages on the stone wall beside the Railroad Dock.  This one caught my eye:

mercer.jpg

This isn't really Skagway but I noticed it on one of the Volendam stair landings before disembarking the ship.  Here's to anyone who ever had a senior moment or a typo:

oops.jpg

Roy

Oh, that's funny!

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Wow! I hadn't heard about that. We just got the thunder, lightening, and rain. No wind at all!

And I didn't see any wind at my house, only about 10 miles away.

Roy

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Not really sure what he is.  He was abandoned and needed a home.  

His head looks kind of like a lab, but his legs are short and his body is long.  Some people think he has some sheltie in him.  The vet thought maybe some spaniel and dachshund too.  He has webbed toes.  But he is a good little boy.  I can't imagine why anyone would move and leave him in an apartment.

Oh my gosh, someone moved out of an apartment and left him behind?  That is beyond mean and cruel.  I'm glad you rescued him because I can tell you treat him well. 😇

• Like 7

I have to agree with @cat shepardand @kazu about Albarino from Rias Biaxas.  Just terrific wine at such a reasonable price.  The Rias Biaxas region is on the border of Spain and Portugal.  Not surprisingly, the same grape is grown in Portugal where it is called Alvarinho.  Portuguese Alvarnho wine is just as good and well priced.

Skagway is one port that we have actually visited.  There are some easily accessible hiking paths that I enjoy

DSCF1686.thumb.JPG.1ce991ccef17ac7b307c80cb264cf63c.JPG

The path accross the railroad tracks is a tad steep--believe me, I was huffing and puffing--but it does provide fro some nice panoramic views.

DSCF1680.thumb.JPG.92f8d113987d9cc44183e6916bc4b28f.JPG

DSCF1679.thumb.JPG.734d42c56d13d11815bf8b71f7bada21.JPG

DSCF1678.thumb.JPG.f9dd6fe289fea7878926e76628469328.JPG

Across the river adjacent to the airport there is another trail that is much less challenging;

DSCF1727.thumb.JPG.4cf0eac9c2cee34d02de50c7a44f991b.JPG

DSCF1730.thumb.JPG.693353550d9d5d41f9675476bb4b1d12.JPG

Fellow cruiser doing his Ansel Adams thing.

DSCF2612.thumb.JPG.4678e62b54e290721a56df5085ae0c0b.JPG

I might also mention that fine wines are served in Skagway restaurants.

IMG_4984.jpg.59048835edc3a48a97adff7295dde989.jpg

DSCF2221.JPG

DSCF2221.JPG

• Like 20
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Oh my gosh, someone moved out of an apartment and left him behind?  That is beyond mean and cruel.  I'm glad you rescued him because I can tell you treat him well. 😇

Actually, they left 2 dogs when they moved.  The landlord took the dogs to the local vet (we don't have a Humane Society in our small town) and he checked the dogs out and put out a sign "dogs need homes".  Well, we didn't see the sign until the afternoon, so by the time we stopped in, the other dog had been adopted.   My husband said that if we had seen both dogs, we would have adopted both dogs.  We would not have split them up.  

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Actually, they left 2 dogs when they moved.  The landlord took the dogs to the local vet (we don't have a Humane Society in our small town) and he checked the dogs out and put out a sign "dogs need homes".  Well, we didn't see the sign until the afternoon, so by the time we stopped in, the other dog had been adopted.   My husband said that if we had seen both dogs, we would have adopted both dogs.  We would not have split them up.  

Twice as bad!  Two dogs abandoned.  I'm sure the two of them would have been happy to go to a home together, but they are both lucky to have found forever homes right away.  Cheers to you and DH for stepping up.🥂

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, puppycanducruise said:

Yes Graham, that's Bertie.  He's a little cutie.  You probably think Pauline is cuter.😉

Thanks for noticing.

Thanks Melanie I definitely think Pauline is cute even after 43 years together.

Bertie is lovely and he deserves people like you and Jim to care and love him.

Graham.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

.................................  We took the train to Canada!  (After a wander around the town.) 

Greeted by a moose

512983267_DSC_2397591G1SKAGWAY.thumb.jpg.7c062d6a2ec72c2f17cf540f7892c7b2.jpg

4 hours ago, Vict0riann said:

Nice pic of you two with that Cervus canadensis 😉 

Back in Aug 2019, we also took the White Pass & Yukon into Canada and to Carcross, Yukon. They have a very popular ice cream shop there inside the Matthew Watson General Store (I like the sign re: shoplifters) walking distance from the tracks. We had some, plus now we can say we've been to the Yukon (but not to Whitehorse yet) 

No photo description available.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AncientWanderer said:

I'm curious...

We passed on this in San Diego because it seemed like it could be migraine-inducing.  Do you think it could do that?  All those lines and lights swirling around...

edit to add I just saw @TheKingD's post about dizziness.  I probably would be dizzy,.

I get migraines so I know what you are talking about.  I would say it depends on what sets you off.  It wasn’t too bad but there is motion, more so then lights flashing.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, dfish said:

HI, FISH, I just wanted to let you know I made the one pot chicken, mushroom orzo recipe from Tuesday (I think) and it was probably the best chicken recipe I've ever made - so delicious!  I substituted a chicken breast for the thighs, and after that was almost cooked, I removed it from the pan till everything else was finished, then put it back in to heat.  Worked well.  Thanks for this 'good for company' dinner.  It will certainly be on my rotation list!

Donna

• Like 10

Interesting how people's tastes are different concerning cilantro.  My DW loves it and for me, it is just OK.  Enjoyed @rafinmdpicture of the Volendam plaque.  I am betting that when the Volendam Master received it in Buson he noticed the error, but being a gentleman did not mention it to his Korean hosts.

• Like 10

3 minutes ago, USN59-79 said:

Interesting how people's tastes are different concerning cilantro.  My DW loves it and for me, it is just OK.  Enjoyed @rafinmdpicture of the Volendam plaque.  I am betting that when the Volendam Master received it in Buson he noticed the error, but being a gentleman did not mention it to his Korean hosts.

Evidently the reaction to cilantro is genetic. I am fine with it myself, but have a friend who can't stand it. I really can not even taste it.

• Like 9

37 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

I get migraines so I know what you are talking about.  I would say it depends on what sets you off.  It wasn’t too bad but there is motion, more so then lights flashing.

Sounds like this one wouldn't work for me.  Thanks for the response.  It was interesting that you mentioned this exhibit here on the Daily and nice to hear a report about it, as it's kind of an unusual event.  

• Like 5

6 hours ago, KirkNC said:

It’s pretty good.  You sit in a large room and they rotate images of his paintings.  It’s dynamic with things flowing around.  The whole thing is about 20 minutes.

We have  one here now, but you walk through it.    We’re thinking of going as friends really enjoyed it. 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

Good Afternoon, we are in the air and I got a comforting email from JetBlue that my bag is on the plane.  Interestingly we got an offer to the Pinnacle Suite.  By the time I got DH agree it was gone.  Oh well, money saved for a new freezer.

Nice offer!   Maybe the travel gremlins were trying to apologize!   We were once offered a Neptune upgrade, and DH was concerned Re the cost, and I said no way would we pay the full price so let’s go for it,   Best ever!     Sailing between the Greek islands having,  dinner served on your balcony with linens watching a meteor shower!  Sigh!  

• Like 8

3 hours ago, XBGuy said:

I have to agree with @cat shepardand @kazu about Albarino from Rias Biaxas.  Just terrific wine at such a reasonable price.  The Rias Biaxas region is on the border of Spain and Portugal.  Not surprisingly, the same grape is grown in Portugal where it is called Alvarinho.  Portuguese Alvarnho wine is just as good and well priced.

Skagway is one port that we have actually visited.  There are some easily accessible hiking paths that I enjoy

DSCF1686.thumb.JPG.1ce991ccef17ac7b307c80cb264cf63c.JPG

The path accross the railroad tracks is a tad steep--believe me, I was huffing and puffing--but it does provide fro some nice panoramic views.

DSCF1680.thumb.JPG.92f8d113987d9cc44183e6916bc4b28f.JPG

DSCF1679.thumb.JPG.734d42c56d13d11815bf8b71f7bada21.JPG

DSCF1678.thumb.JPG.f9dd6fe289fea7878926e76628469328.JPG

Across the river adjacent to the airport there is another trail that is much less challenging;

DSCF1727.thumb.JPG.4cf0eac9c2cee34d02de50c7a44f991b.JPG

DSCF1730.thumb.JPG.693353550d9d5d41f9675476bb4b1d12.JPG

Fellow cruiser doing his Ansel Adams thing.

DSCF2612.thumb.JPG.4678e62b54e290721a56df5085ae0c0b.JPG

I might also mention that fine wines are served in Skagway restaurants.

IMG_4984.jpg.59048835edc3a48a97adff7295dde989.jpg

DSCF2221.JPG

DSCF2221.JPG

Wow that first path👀

• Like 3