The vaccination olympics

4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Maybe, just maybe, if Gladys had locked down hard as soon as the Bondi Junction case was confirmed we might have bern able to squash this outbreak. But I'm beginning to think even that may have been too late given how quickly this Delta variant moves.

Victoria, with all it's experience in squashing outbreaks, hasn't been able to contain this one.

Ditto NZ. 

Canberra is still getting a fair number of cases.

The sad thing is that many people were reluctant to get vaccinated until this outbreak started. Partly because of the bad PR on AZ and exacerbated by the limited supplies of Pfizer at the time. I believe that reluctance is still happening in QLD and WA who are currently lagging behind the rest of Australia in vaccinations.

I hope the opening up of individual states within the state, state borders and international borders is done in a sensible and structured manner, protecting areas with low vaccination rates until they also reach 80% or more.

Yes, we are still hovering around the 20 mark of new cases every day.  I think we are just going to have to manage it.

Thoughts about the vaccine rollout, travel and optimal protection.

People who were double vaccinated some months ago may be wondering about how long their level of immunity will last before a third dose will be required for optimal protection. 

Now it is possible to get any vaccine regardless of age, those people may be in a better position in terms of immunity duration, if borders are open for outbound travel?

Of course some may not be interested in travel and simply see vaccines as necessary to avoid social exclusion, serious illness and death. 

33 minutes ago, pully8 said:

Thoughts about the vaccine rollout, travel and optimal protection.

People who were double vaccinated some months ago may be wondering about how long their level of immunity will last before a third dose will be required for optimal protection. 

Especially those of us who could only get AstraZenica. A report I read the other day said AZ had about 65% efficacy after six months while Pfizer was up around 85%. I'm hoping they will start offering booster shots of Pfizer or Moderna to us seniors once most people are double-dosed.

• Like 1

Agree. Given the timeframe/slow rollout and zero date to allow outbound travel.

There seems no benefit being double vaccinated with borders closed.

The availability of any vaccine now means it would have been better to have waited to be double vaccinated.

Hopefully the benefit will be protection from serious ill health if infected with Covid19, the health systems are struggling. 

Retired health care practitioners are being invited to accept temporary registration

with APHRA for a 12 month period. 

57 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t think any decision has been made yet about boosters; except maybe for those at risk. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/covid-vaccine-creator-mass-boosters-unnecessary-79935446

UK is now in the booster phase.  I have a relo who works as a volunteer in Southend Hospital, getting her booster shot this week.

2 hours ago, Porky55 said:

I don’t think any decision has been made yet about boosters; except maybe for those at risk. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/covid-vaccine-creator-mass-boosters-unnecessary-79935446

From that article: "While the elderly and those who are immune-compromised may need boosters ..."

At what age does her definition of "elderly" start, I wonder?.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I think people in countries that haven't  had a chance of supply should be given that chance and perhaps their first jabs before we get booster shots.

But if there are supplies still available here that would go to waste otherwise then boosters could be provided.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 1

Just now, MicCanberra said:

Or they could go to the nation's that don't  have any yet

That would depend on the expiry dates though. I'm not sure what the shelf life of Pfizer and Moderna is. I imagine there could be plenty of AZ spare if it's still being manufactured here.

The numbers have halved in NSW, perhaps fewer tests?  I hope the case numbers keep falling.  I asm missing the golfie and the rissole for the social interaction and...🍷🍽️

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

From that article: "While the elderly and those who are immune-compromised may need boosters ..."

At what age does her definition of "elderly" start, I wonder?.

Exactly 🙄

I would love to think that the Booster is able to be combined with the yearly flu shot so we only need the one 😀

NSWP - “UK is now in the booster phase.  I have a relo who works as a volunteer in Southend Hospital, getting her booster shot this week.”

I think that is what the article says - that those who are ‘front line workers’ too - which it sounds like your relo is?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

The numbers have halved in NSW, perhaps fewer tests?  I hope the case numbers keep falling.  I asm missing the golfie and the rissole for the social interaction and...🍷🍽️

Testing numbers are usually lower on the weekends. I expect the vaccination rates have a lot to do with lower cases.

Partial freedom day for 70% double vaxed in NSW is 11th October. Cant wait to see family and friends. Its been a long time coming

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

The case numbers usually drop on Sundays and Mondays. 

4 hours ago, NSWP said:

I read Batesman Bay has Covid cases.  Keep safe by staying at home.

• Like 1

Would like to see the vulnerable vaccinated asap.

For some reason some people with disabilities are still not fully vaccinated.

Aged care seems to have improved in terms of vaccinating people in their services.

The sooner there is a clear protocol for the delivery for administration of all vaccines the better, with a simple way to access them. 

Not all have the ability to book on line and search and travel to get a vaccine.

The pharmacy set up is an excellent idea now and GPs seem to have reliable supplies.  

Hopefully things will be clearer next year.

4 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

looking at the numbers Vic is heading the wrong way

Wrong-way-go-back-Australia-1000x576.jpg.f85e7c1a678297ea3586cf6e003cee04.jpg

Now how do we turn around.??...... time to bunker down.

Not totally unexpected with the unmasked protesters over the last week or so. I see another protester is in hospital with Covid.