The Daily for Wednesday August 04, 2021

richwmn

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning all from another early gloomy morning (like @Mr. Boston).  We're expecting some sun later and a high temp of only 82F.  Yay for today's celebrations - kids, chocolate chip cookies, white wine and our Coast Guard.  Who hasn't sung the praises of the Coast Guard when we see them airlift sick patients off our cruise ship?  What skill!!

@grapau27 I admire your and Pauline's zest for life!  No dull, boring days for you two.  

@smitty34877Terry, what wonderful news about Baby Camilla going home with her parents!  Prayers she continues to do well.  I'm sure she will be well taken care of and monitored with all the help from family members.

@St. Louis Salgood luck today with your follow up and lumbar puncture.  I hope this one is not painful too.  Take care!

Prayers for all on our Care list today.  I'm so happy we have Baby Camilla off that list now.  She can be added to the Celebration list now with all our happy Daily members and their families.

We have a concern here in our household.  Remember I told you last weekend our next door neighbor (fully vaccinated) had come down with Covid?  We learned his wife and 91 year old FIL who lives with them have also become ill.  Surprisingly the 91 year old, Copeland, is feeling better than his daughter!  The problem is my DH was talking to Copeland Saturday for about 15 minutes and he didn't say a word to DH about Covid in their household.  Copeland sits outside in the open garage or at the door opening to wave to passersby who often stop to chat.  DH was picking up Damon's mail out of his mailbox as he does every day and stopped to chat with Copeland.  He said he stood about 4-5 feet away and Copeland was seated.  Now that we know Copeland came down with Covid the following day, we are in a tough position here.  Are we exposed and going to become positive?  We feel well but could be asymptomatic.  We could get a rapid test today and be negative, but come down with Covid on Friday.  Do we drive to Ohio tomorrow, stay with our daughter, have dinner with her entire family at a restaurant Friday night, and do we attend DGS's commencement ceremony Saturday morning??  Then we were going to visit DS in Michigan.  Right now the chances are not good we are going to be able to go.  Our DD is a teacher and goes back to school next week.  Our youngest DGS is asthmatic and unvaccinated right now.  I'm feeling heartbroken right now.😪

Oh NO 😔 I am heartbroken for you hearing this 💔 How so very 😔 

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  all. Thanks  for  the  Daily,  Rich and  thank you  Roy for  our  lists. I  like  the  recipe today  and  the  quote  is  a  good  one.

Miss Camilla  left  the  NICU  and  went  home  with her  parents last  night. My  niece  and  her  husband(they  are  both  nurses ) set  up  a  monitoring  system that will  help  keep  track  of  her  heart  rate. I  am  awaiting  new  pictures as  the  doting  grandparents and  my  great  niece were  there  for  a  while  to  offer  assistance. I  hope  all  went  well  last  night. There  were  a  few  happy  tears  shed  here in  our  2  family  household  as  we  were  eating  dinner  together  when  we  got  the  news.

It  is  so  wonderful  to  have  good  news  to  tell  everyone  today!

Terry

Fantastic news.

Delighted for you all.

Graham.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Thank you for today’s Daily, Rich! A stellar combination of days! And white wine day to boot! Do chocolate chip cookies pair well with white wine? I think we should each study this question and report back!

Seriously, here’s to the Coast Guard for helping to keep our waters safe. Who have to deal with idiots who venture out on the oceans ill prepared for the elements. 

Thank you for keeping our lists Roy! Morning Dailyite family! Camilla is home! Now we just need the same for the rest of our Care list. Tonight I am going to attempt a falafel salad for dinner. I have been thinking about the one I had in Reykjavik for more than a week, so I need to do something about it. 

Walking like a zombie is exhausting. I don’t believe the brace weighs much more than the cast did, but the angle of the leg when I walk is cumbersome. Bindi has taken pity on me and has not acted up (much), no matter what the temptation is. 

It is cloudy and cooler here this morning. So far - no rain. I will spend the day looking for falafel recipes that include the ingredients I have on hand. And checking out what white wine to chill. Lots to toast tonight!

Prayers for all who need our support. Cheers to all who are celebrating! Stay well everyone!

Newton Cabernet Sauvignon Unfiltered - California

I chose the 2017 vintage to share, since it seemed more readily available, and a bit cheaper. I found numerous online distributors with prices starting at $39.88. And really, who can resist a wine that provides characteristics of   “pencil shavings”?
Winemaker Notes

Deep ruby in color with a purple hue, the Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon exhibits red berry notes—such as currant and cherry—followed by Mediterranean aromatic herbs, hints of tobacco leaf, and cedar on the nose. The palate boasts pomegranate notes, and finishes with graphite-like, minerally tannins.

WE90 Wine Enthusiast: This is a well-made, nicely priced wine that overdelivers on its price point, providing earthy truffle, pencil shavings and cedar characteristics. Classically styled, balanced and elegant, it is savory, firm in tannin and nuanced in oak, with lasting notes of currant and cassis.

Editor's Choice

WS90 Wine Spectator: Solidly built, featuring a core of plum and blackberry notes, threaded with mesquite, mineral and savory hints. The finish shows a twinge of the rustic tannins that mark many 2017s, but ample fruit keeps them well-absorbed.

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 2

Great news on Miss Camila.

11 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

We have a concern here in our household.  Remember I told you last weekend our next door neighbor (fully vaccinated) had come down with Covid?  We learned his wife and 91 year old FIL who lives with them have also become ill.  Surprisingly the 91 year old, Copeland, is feeling better than his daughter!  The problem is my DH was talking to Copeland Saturday for about 15 minutes and he didn't say a word to DH about Covid in their household.  Copeland sits outside in the open garage or at the door opening to wave to passersby who often stop to chat.  DH was picking up Damon's mail out of his mailbox as he does every day and stopped to chat with Copeland.  He said he stood about 4-5 feet away and Copeland was seated.  Now that we know Copeland came down with Covid the following day, we are in a tough position here.  Are we exposed and going to become positive?  We feel well but could be asymptomatic.  We could get a rapid test today and be negative, but come down with Covid on Friday.  Do we drive to Ohio tomorrow, stay with our daughter, have dinner with her entire family at a restaurant Friday night, and do we attend DGS's commencement ceremony Saturday morning??  Then we were going to visit DS in Michigan.  Right now the chances are not good we are going to be able to go.  Our DD is a teacher and goes back to school next week.  Our youngest DGS is asthmatic and unvaccinated right now.  I'm feeling heartbroken right now.😪

Sad but I think you're wise to consider cancelling.  This Delta Variant is a real problem.

I seem to be alone on this but wish HAL would require a Covid test before boarding.  While it is extremely unlikely other vaccinated passengers will get seriously ill, the variant can spread between the vaccinated and living in close quarters people can pick it up and carry it home with them.   I'd also rather be sent home from the pier than sent home later after developing a mild illness, either carried onboard or acquired, that could have been prevented by a simple test.

Roy

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Good morning all from another early gloomy morning (like @Mr. Boston).  We're expecting some sun later and a high temp of only 82F.  Yay for today's celebrations - kids, chocolate chip cookies, white wine and our Coast Guard.  Who hasn't sung the praises of the Coast Guard when we see them airlift sick patients off our cruise ship?  What skill!!

@grapau27 I admire your and Pauline's zest for life!  No dull, boring days for you two.  

@smitty34877Terry, what wonderful news about Baby Camilla going home with her parents!  Prayers she continues to do well.  I'm sure she will be well taken care of and monitored with all the help from family members.

@St. Louis Salgood luck today with your follow up and lumbar puncture.  I hope this one is not painful too.  Take care!

Prayers for all on our Care list today.  I'm so happy we have Baby Camilla off that list now.  She can be added to the Celebration list now with all our happy Daily members and their families.

Oh Sandi, I know how much you were looking forward to this trip. 

The only thing I can think of is to have a rapid test at home and arrange for a second one in Ohio on Friday.  But if the second test is positive,  that would mean you went a long way and didn’t get to enjoy any of it. 

A huge hug winging its way to you! 

Ann

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

WELCOME HOME  CAMILLA! 🎈

Good morning from central Texas.  I wish there was a Woo-hoo button for celebrations such as Camilla going home as the like button doesn't seem to capture moment. 

Speaking of the like button, after it started working on my tablet last night, it quit working again.  This morning it's not working on yesterday's Daily, but is working on today's Daily.

An interesting group of days.  I love chocolate chip cookies 🍪.   @rafinmd. Roy you can have my oatmeal raisin cookies, and I'll take your chocolate chip cookies.  Kids deserve celebrating as they are our future.  Coast Guards around the world do an amazing job..  

While generally I'm not a white wine fan, I'll toast the day with my favorite Riesling, but I will pass on the drink.  Instead of pork chops, I think I'll thaw some of last week's pulled pork for tonight.

I like the Roy Orbison quote, and I like his songs. 

@St. Louis Sal Sally, good luck with your appointment today. 

@StLouisCruisers Sandi, how awful for your neighbors and for you.  It is hard  to cancel plans for a much anticipated trip, but is wise to consider everything you mentioned, and to do what's best for you and your family.

We have not been to Mozambique, and I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from there. 

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 22

Good Morning from an overcast and soon to be raining day at the beach

Big salute to the Coast Guard. They do such important work and are often an overlooked branch of the military. We see the helicopters all the time and the cutters as they come in to port.

Not a fan of chocolate chip cookies. Like Roy, I prefer oatmeal raisin. 

Never been to todays port.

@smitty34877 Excellent news! Continued prayers that Baby Camilla continues to do well.

@StLouisCruisers This is concerning. I can only imagine how disappointed and frustrated you must be.  If only people would stay in when they are ill or have had an exposure. 

@St. Louis Sal Good Luck with your appointment today. Hope it goes well.

Stay safe and enjoy today

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I'll take those chocolate chip cookies that Roy doesn't care for; many praises for those serving in the Coast Guard; kids should be celebrated every day - they need to know they're special, and even though I'm a red wine drinker, I'll open a bottle of Pinot Grigio to celebrate White Wine Day.  You know, take one for the team . . .

What wonderful news about little Miss Camilla; saying prayers that all goes well for her and her family.  I'm willing to bet there was very little sleep in that house last night!

@StLouisCruisers my heart goes out to you - what a position to be in.  People can be so blase about this virus, and don't realize how it will affect others.

The temps have cooled down overnight, so much so that it almost feels chilly at 16C (60F).  I'm not complaining though, as we're looking at highs of 30 again in a day or two.  I think I'll take advantage of the cooler day and make some cookies in advance of the DGS's arrival.  I'll make a batch of chocolate chip, and one of raisin for DH, as well as some banana bread that can be turned into great French toast.

I like today's menu suggestion, but we're going to have a repeat of last night's taco dinner, as there was lots, and we have some tortilla shells that need to be used.  We'll be able to enjoy dinner comfortably on the deck tonight.  And wine.

1433098189_WhiteWine.png.0d71a3e8cec77cf498f5b1171498eb66.png

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Asking for extra prayers for my friend who will undergo a double mastectomy tomorrow, hoping all goes well for her and the surgery team.  Raising the glasses together to cheer all on the happy list.  Stay well, be safe, wash your hands, wear your masks, tell your neighbours if there's Covid in your house, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 22
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning to  all. Thanks  for  the  Daily,  Rich and  thank you  Roy for  our  lists. I  like  the  recipe today  and  the  quote  is  a  good  one.

Miss Camilla  left  the  NICU  and  went  home  with her  parents last  night. My  niece  and  her  husband(they  are  both  nurses ) set  up  a  monitoring  system that will  help  keep  track  of  her  heart  rate. I  am  awaiting  new  pictures as  the  doting  grandparents and  my  great  niece were  there  for  a  while  to  offer  assistance. I  hope  all  went  well  last  night. There  were  a  few  happy  tears  shed  here in  our  2  family  household  as  we  were  eating  dinner  together  when  we  got  the  news.

Terry

50 minutes ago, Sir PMP said:

Maputo:

ImageHandler_ashx.thumb.jpg.25e7bd0c188b1b0658c72006dc91de87.jpgcape-town-maputo-africa-cruise.jpg.91a31040d5e21ec837c634012cef7fe3.jpg

Terry

What wonderful news. You must all be so happy and relieved.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone. We have a cool morning but some hot weather ahead. Love all the days today, especially the chocolate chip 🍪.

Today Sam is going to see his cardiologist for the first time since the stroke. My daughter is taking him so the aide and I get some time off. Since she has a van and it’s too hard for him to get into, my time off will be without a car. But it will still be good to have nothing to do.

Terry, that’s such good news about the baby. You must all be so happy and relieved.

Stay safe everyone and wear your masks when inside.

Carol

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Terry

Terry that's absolutely the best news! We've all been praying so hard for Baby Camilla!

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Shout out to the Coast Guard🇺🇸! @StLouisCruisersPrayers that you and family remain asymptomatic and your neighbors recover.

Thanks Rich and to all who contribute. 

So Hal sent us an E-mail overnight reminding us to complete health questionnaire etc. So far Navigator App has not allowed us to do it and yes we have rebooted several times. Maybe when their tech department wakes up and goes to work!

Enjoy the day!

• Like 15

11 minutes ago, ClippyJoe said:

StLouiscruiser, I m so sorry for your dilemma. What a horrible position to be put in this week of all weeks ! 

I will be thinking of you and your family. 

Thanks for your concern.  If it were any other week we could reschedule an appointment or something but this grandson's graduation was delayed 15 months due to Covid running rampant then.  I'm feeling very depressed about it, but need to consider it could be worse.  What if a grandchild was getting married this weekend and I had to miss that!!😲

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Asking for extra prayers for my friend who will undergo a double mastectomy tomorrow, hoping all goes well for her and the surgery team.  

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

Extra prayers winging their way, Gerry!

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Asking for extra prayers for my friend who will undergo a double mastectomy tomorrow, hoping all goes well for her and the surgery team. 

Prayers indeed for you friend that all goes well for her 🙏🏻 

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Good morning Rich. Today is a red letter day! Lots to celebrate!! Thank you so much for our Daily.

Sandi, I agree with Ann. Get DH the test. You should too. Keep the faith. Remember the tiny % of vaccinated people catching the Covid.

Ms St Louis Sal I'm praying over your procedure today. All will go well.

Praise God for Baby Camilla's Homecoming. 

I had a procedure yesterday. The dreaded colonoscopy. All went well. They used propofol to knock me out. The nurse called it "Jackson juice". The recovery nurse said I sat up before I was in recovery room and I was ready to get out of there. 

We took Elvis to our local pub and had wings and a salad, then to a garden party. I slept like the dead..

White wine day!! Happy to oblige thank you. I have a bottle waiting in the cooler for happy hour tonight.

image.png.4c76f90fe57515535f87111c5ab10bcd.png

Hats off to Coast Guard. My cousin just retired after 28 years.

Did someone mention chocolate chip cookies? Be on the lookout:

image.png.91430bd96b53610313e1009fb3580154.png

Blessings, Cheers and Prayers 

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Ok. Look at post 420 on the live thread Brentt. There's a little mitten on the avatar, similar to the rocket yesterday. 

If you hover over it a message appears telling you that the user joined recently.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I  went  out  to  the  grocery  store  and  the  pages  are  already  at  2!

@StLouisCruisers, I  am  so  sorry  that  has  occurred right  next  door. I hope  the  folks  who  are  ill  will  recover  soon. It  is  such  a  worry  and  will  be  so  sad  if  your  plans  change. This  morning even  the  people  outdoors  in  my  neighborhood  were  wearing  masks. We  found  out  two  young  neighbors  in  their  thirties  are  now  hospitalized.

@ger_77, Prayers  for  your  friends surgery  and  recovery

@St Louis Sal,  I  hope  the  procedure  today  goes  well

I  spoke  to  my  niece earlier  and  she  said  the  parents  chased  her  out  after  a  brief  visit! They  are  taking  the  baby  for  her  first  pediatrician  visit  today  and  so  far,all  are  doing  well.

Thanks  for  all  the  good  wishes. The  family is  very  appreciative.

Terry

• Like 16