The Daily for Thursday August 12, 2021

richwmn

Good morning, all!  A very happy birthday to Rich, and a big welcome  home to Tana!  Happy to hear Sam is doing so well in his recovery.  We are one big family, aren't we?

We were in Stavanger on Ryndam with our youngest daughter, our first Neptune suite, so it was a wonderful cruise all around, the Voyage of the Midnight Sun.   Our very first china was called Stavangerflint "Mountain Blue", long gone, of course, but I remember it fondly, and I would have loved to have found a piece of it to buy in Stavanger, so we just wandered around the town looking in shop windows.  No luck, but it is a beautiful town full of flowers in the summer,  I wonder if it would be a little more dreary in the winter...

I collect manhole covers - they are great to have if they say the city name, this was one of the nicer ones!

P1020559.thumb.JPG.4099b3bba764535271cb9b403f6978b3.JPG

The port

P1020493.thumb.JPG.b4bd7178e00c0847805fc982f014bfed.JPG

Beautiful cobbled pedestrian streetsP1040419.thumb.JPG.1096e8ae0a14c967da1ed5c679a7e0e2.JPG

The church

P1020524.thumb.JPG.d3bbab57e563b6c410ae0192d96575ee.JPG

And as others have posted, lots of flowers

P1040422.thumb.JPG.64559f372585fdf0956dab437ae6bb20.JPG

P1040423.thumb.JPG.a027e6271a9040e33af6331b90435832.JPG

• Like 32

33 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

Good  morning  to  everyone. I  am  late  today as  we  are  scrambling  around to  welcome  our  Tana  to  DD's  side  of  the  house today. The  oxygen  making  machine  has  just  been  delivered  and I  was  making  a  bed  with  the  aid  of  DD's  4  cats. We  are  a  little  concerned about the  ability  to  climb  stairs  now so  we  have  arranged an  ambulance  for  discharge.  I  think  we  are  a  combination  of   very  happy  and  a  little  nervous. Tana's  son  and  their  doggie  will  stay  with  me  but  we  will  all  be  able  to  eat  together. There  were  times  when  we  all  wondered  if  this  day  would  ever  come but  the  good  wishes  and  prayers  of  many  folks  have prevailed. Thank you  all!

Wonderful news about Tana’s homecoming, Terry!

Edited by cat shepard
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

The gardens were looking a bit tired from our hot and dry weather. The recent few days of rain and cooler temperatures have things perking up. A hosta with very large flowers just started blooming -

20210808_160627.thumb.jpg.b0a420fba66949627c4168bcdf54c2d8.jpg20210808_160555.thumb.jpg.e8a5e9a3880b10e6cc4019bec3af5e4b.jpg

Adding Happy Birthday @richwmn!!

Edited by Overhead Fred
  • Like 22

37 minutes ago, smitty34877 said:

I  am  late  today as  we  are  scrambling  around to  welcome  our  Tana  to  DD's  side  of  the  house today. The  oxygen  making  machine  has  just  been  delivered  and I  was  making  a  bed  with  the  aid  of  DD's  4  cats.

What great news that she is coming home 👍 

It sounds like you are going to have your hands full, though. 😔 Take care of yourselves please.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Happy Birthday Rich!  🎶And many mooore... 🎶😄

@smitty34877 So glad to hear the good news about Tana!

Thanks to everyone for the Daily. So many of you nurture it with little bits of yourselves and something delightful has grown.

And once again, thank you all for all of the wonderful pictures of somewhere that we've never been.

Lori & George

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

More warm (90+ degrees) here. We had the protection of cloud cover yesterday, but still hot.

We were in Stavanger on the Prinsendam’s farewell voyage. It was our first Norwegian port. Am not sure if I have much more to contribute photo wise. I have to agree that I was a little underwhelmed with the fiord cruise. I can handle drizzle, and I’m sure it’s more beautiful with the sun, but it was not our highlight of the cruise. The Rodne boat we were on was much larger than the one pictured-and it was crowded. (MSC had a huge ship in port, along with others.🤨) I was expecting Pulpit Rock to be larger and more obvious. If we ever get back there I want to hike it.

Loved the old houses and gardens. We went for a walk and separated for a few moments (I went to the end of the street to look in the window of a bike shop and DH went to look at some solar equipment,where I understood we were to meet up.) Nope. I got there 5 minutes after splitting and no DH. He had his cell phone off.😡 35-40 minutes waiting and looking around for him (like a good hiker) and I went down the hill. He was in line at Rodne, oblivious.😡 

This reminds me I still need to make the photo book for our trip.

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 22
  • Haha 1

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily. Wow, page 4 already.

Glad you got your internet back @richwmn. And Happy Birthday!

I won't likely get to see the meteor showers here. Love elephants.

Love Julia's quote.

I like the meal for a fall dish, pass on the drink, but I'll take the wine. Not sure what's for dinner.

I have not been to today's destination. Thanks for all the pictures.

We're expecting a "feels like" temp of 101 today! We're also having off and on thunder storms as well.

@dfish Glad you're still able to go on your trip. Safe travels. I use CPAP but my case is very mild so I went without during my power outage. I have a spare UPS that I may try to use for backup power in the future.

@mamaofami It's so good to hear of Sam's continued progress.

@lindaler Congrats on the sale of the house.

@aliaschief Enjoy Ketchikan!

@smitty34877 I'm glad that Tana is coming home! Hoping all goes well for her.

Prayers for the care list and cheer for the celebration list.

Stay safe, and wear your mask when needed.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, summer slope said:

Good morning.  Happy your internet is back Rich.  We miss your input.  Thank you Roy and Debbie for your lists.  Just love this happy place.  The meal sounds and looks good, will save it for another day as it's too HOT for soup.  Have not been to Norway, really looking forward to photo's.

Today is haircut day.  Much needed.!

Prayers and toasts to our lists.

Stay safe, continue safe distance and mask wearing.

Black Velvet:

The Black Velvet is a beer cocktail made from a combination of stout and white sparkling wine. Wikipedia
Ingredients: 1 part sparkling wine or champagne, 1 part stout beer
Preparation: Fill a tall champagne flute, halfway with chilled sparkling wine and float stout beer on top of the wine.
Served: Straight up; without ice
Drinkware: Champagne flute

Screen Shot 2021-08-12 at 8.15.33 AM.png

This sounds interesting but how do you float stout on top of the sparkling wine?

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Happy Birthday, Rich @richwmn!!

Wishing you a wonderful day!                   

🎂   🥂   🎈  🎈   🎈   🎉  🎊    

Happy birthday to the best Dailyite instigated. Thanks for our morning gathering and information center each day. Hope you know how much you are appreciated here, Rich. 

• Like 19

🤪 Finally found some photos when we took my husband's aunt with us to Kauai and met one of our cruising friends visiting the island, too.  Small world 🌎.

Katie 

😷 Everyone stay safe and Thank you to all who contribute to this site!😊

20210812_093258.jpg

20210812_093141.jpg

• Like 24

Good morning/afternoon!  @smitty34877, that is wonderful news that Tana is able to come home!  @dfish, bummer that your getaway was postponed.  Sounds like you regrouped quickly.  Sending good thoughts your way that all goes smoothly now.  @kazu, your garden is amazing.  It looks so cool and inviting.  Just beautiful.   @lindaler, you sneak in good news in your quiet way.  Congratulations of the easy sale of the house!   No muss no fuss with renters taking it over.  That's great!  @mamaofami, so glad that Sam keeps progressing well.  Strong man! 💪

Thanks to those who are posting photos of Stavanger.  I hope to be there next spring.  We shall see.... 🤞

Everyone...have a great day.  Thanks to all contributors  - prayers for those on the care list - congratulations to all celebrating.

• Like 20
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, lindaler said:

This sounds interesting but how do you float stout on top of the sparkling wine?

To “float” the beer on top of the champagne and create separated layers, turn a spoon upside down over the glass of champagne and pour the beer over the curve of the spoon into the glass. This will keep the two from combining.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, cat shepard said:

Roy how is rehab progressing? Are they paying attention to your abilities? Do you feel as if you are getting any benefit from it?

TY

Ann

It's a busy day and I'll try to answer but may have to come back later.    It's something of a mixed bag partly because of the class format.  There's a staff of about 8 (half nurses and half exercise physiologists) and it depends somewhat on who I see each day. There hasn't really been a lot of milestone setting and I've been largely a self starter, planning each day's programs.  Yesterday I was mid session and one of the nurses came up and while I was on the treadmill.  My program had included gradually stepping up my treadmill pace to 2.6 mph and gradually increasing grades.  She came up to me mid session and pushed on of the buttons on the treadmill moving me up to a .5% grade. saying "It's time to start you on a little bit of grade".  I told her I was in the process or ramping up to 5 minutes at 1.5% as the session went on"  She was unaware I had done anything on grade although a quick check with her colleagues confirmed that.  Oops!  I was not quite on plan then with a couple extra minutes at 0.5% and a few seconds less at 1.5% since they while they were taking my blood pressure at the point when I would have hit 1.5%.

The person who came by today was more attuned to my progression.  Today was a good day.

I'm not sure how much benefit I'm getting beyond what I get from my own walks but there are at least a few things.  Even walking on my own I'm paying a bit more attention to a warmup and watching for a target heart rate.  I'm pretty much ok with it now.  I would rather be on a ship but thinking not until there's more control of the Delta variant, so I may actually be ok with completing the program.

Tomorrow I see what I hope may be my new Cardiologist.

Roy

• Like 25
  • Thanks 2

Good morning and thanks all.    Happy birthday Rich!  

We’ve been to Norway and our neighbors lived in Stavanger.   
Love the Soup, but no tomatoes for us.  

Just want to say I tried to like many posts but CC won’t let me!  

We’re off to a sushi picnic lunch at the lake with the grandkids!   Enjoy the day and stay safe.  Our niece works at a seniors facility and they are in outbreak even though vaccinated.  

I want to stay up for the meteor shower!  My heart photo.

17744A97-9F63-454E-939E-5DB4B26310BE.jpeg

3BA079DB-A9A5-4649-872D-F4FF3017F889.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 24

Like Debbie's @dfish's family, I just heard from my son in Ann Arbor who says his power has been out for over 8 hours and they say it may be off a few days.  His wife and eldest son are up north in Interlochen.  DGS was at a music camp there and I think she went to pick him up.  Anyway, he and the younger son may have to leave and find a hotel with power like Debbie did.  Pretty warm there today.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3