The Daily for Friday August 13, 2021

richwmn

Good  morning  everyone.  I  was  the  only  right  handed  person  in  my family.  They  told  me  that  I  came  from  another  planet! DS  and  DGS  are  lefties now  and  will  happily  celebrate  their  day. Friday  the  13  is  just  another  day  and  I  get  annoyed at  those  who  blame  others. The  recipe  looks  good  and  is  a  possibility  for  tonight. We  have  not  been  to  the  port  but  look  forward  to  pictures.

Our  sleeping  arrangements were  changed  yesterday  when  we  realized that  the ambulance  did  not  have  the  "stair type" stretcher  we  needed. DD's  apartment  has 28  steps  from  the  street to  enter  it while  mine  has only  12.  The  ambulance  driver  was  very  nice  and  helped  DSIL  carry  Tana  to  our  front  room  bed. We  moved  the  O2  and  were  in  business. Right  now,walking  on  a  level  surface  even  with  O2 is  hard  enough  but  stairs are  not  feasible  yet. Tana's  son  and  dog  were beside  themselves!

Thanks  to  all  of  the  kind  folks  out  there  who  joined  us  in  welcoming  our  Tana  home. I  am  sure that  she  will  improve  daily being  with  those  who  love  her.

It  is  an  adjustment  to  go  from  years  of  cooking  for  2  to dinner  for  6! I luckily  enjoy  preparing meals(in  spite  of  being  tired  of  coming  up  with  ideas)  and  will come  up  with  things  most  people  will  eat.

@aliaschief, I  have  enjoyed  your  reports  and  pictures  of  your  trip and  envy  the  crab  legs! 

@Copper 10-8, John, I  appreciate  your  knowledge  and  experience  and  have  enjoyed  your  trip  report.

Terry

• Like 30

There's one photo from 2005 that I will show you from our Mazatlan trip.  That's of the cliff divers.  My 2016 photos of that event weren't as good.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNrCsQuK1mkUZyDwxCfq_1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365183705

In 2016 when we got off the Westerdam, we were told there were many expats in Mazatlan who would be standing on the streets in blue shirts to help all the cruise passengers find their way.  They even had a blue line painted on the street from the cruise ship dock to the central business district.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYFBEGRLXG25YVszrZk6Eo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144770

Helpful expats00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKdBS_xtUpi2o36Np0RM4DQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144784

The Teatro Angela Peralta

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLZciAaXIvaKvUpnhaWq0oN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144819

The interior courtyard of the Teatro.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUI1wwUFd9T1XT43Kse9D7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146025

The stage00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLWb7hY7rQJLctjacZDXrFZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146082

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLr-p3NIO1Zs3pNfAeQVr9F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146078

The town square00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJk34MwPxPQ29H2Ke_vqLNa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144855

Many cruisers stopped along here to get a beer or some appetizers00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDnUAer0Ps5lm0HuTN2Hq9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144878

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPIl9e7ZTd96FkwJFtcL-Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144927

Wow!  It was beautiful!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUOR3Nc9tKmrgO7bmaUGut?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144970

Just look up!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJzTpt5uSKXFinoYwzfSvo8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144964

Amazing work on this altar00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItHUHaP_njUIejGbKmrLEK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145013

Close by was El Mercado where you could find just about anything - meat, produce, handicrafts, souvenirs, clothing, etc.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLkVXFIgYlgMLIOCsFFyvgv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145098

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1X9PV2DYzME54jOme6qlz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145124

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSgansd4x2R5u4xsXmfeJZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145072

walking toward the shore we saw these colorful houses00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLFr3JEeVgiwmCaHOW2FktX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145183

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJR0SMb_rrmoJfzOonXlHJL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145263

This is when we went to watch the cliff divers.  It was clouding up so we thought it might rain.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxVtgOpB4Nrp9sacQ4-uok?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145751

As you can see we were in the wrong spot to see the diving perfectly.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrEfRYSK3QM0yqRXxvELRz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145845

Then we went into this restaurant the Shrimp Bucket for a beer.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLfHTOGayWpjWLUCIIaOPVU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145278

The family next to us ordered this huge bowl of shrimp.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqdIw_BlPj1rwxqdUsIPT9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460123491

We turned around and headed back to the ship, walking past the square again where a group of dancers were entertaining the crowds.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_fnwacZ6BXfZ-7EdOTevS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145925

Back to the ship and a view of the town from the upper decks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZc8r03T1bLiwoLq25t1qU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146154

• Like 34

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

There's one photo from 2005 that I will show you from our Mazatlan trip.  That's of the cliff divers.  My 2016 photos of that event weren't as good.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJNrCsQuK1mkUZyDwxCfq_1?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1365183705

In 2016 when we got off the Westerdam, we were told there were many expats in Mazatlan who would be standing on the streets in blue shirts to help all the cruise passengers find their way.  They even had a blue line painted on the street from the cruise ship dock to the central business district.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJYFBEGRLXG25YVszrZk6Eo?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144770

Helpful expats00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKdBS_xtUpi2o36Np0RM4DQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144784

The Teatro Angela Peralta

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLZciAaXIvaKvUpnhaWq0oN?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144819

The interior courtyard of the Teatro.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUI1wwUFd9T1XT43Kse9D7?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146025

The stage00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLWb7hY7rQJLctjacZDXrFZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146082

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLr-p3NIO1Zs3pNfAeQVr9F?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146078

The town square00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJk34MwPxPQ29H2Ke_vqLNa?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144855

Many cruisers stopped along here to get a beer or some appetizers00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLDnUAer0Ps5lm0HuTN2Hq9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144878

The Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKPIl9e7ZTd96FkwJFtcL-Q?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144927

Wow!  It was beautiful!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKUOR3Nc9tKmrgO7bmaUGut?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144970

Just look up!00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJzTpt5uSKXFinoYwzfSvo8?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460144964

Amazing work on this altar00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVItHUHaP_njUIejGbKmrLEK?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145013

Close by was El Mercado where you could find just about anything - meat, produce, handicrafts, souvenirs, clothing, etc.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLkVXFIgYlgMLIOCsFFyvgv?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145098

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJ1X9PV2DYzME54jOme6qlz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145124

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLSgansd4x2R5u4xsXmfeJZ?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145072

walking toward the shore we saw these colorful houses00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLFr3JEeVgiwmCaHOW2FktX?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145183

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVJR0SMb_rrmoJfzOonXlHJL?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145263

This is when we went to watch the cliff divers.  It was clouding up so we thought it might rain.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIxVtgOpB4Nrp9sacQ4-uok?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145751

As you can see we were in the wrong spot to see the diving perfectly.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKrEfRYSK3QM0yqRXxvELRz?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145845

Then we went into this restaurant the Shrimp Bucket for a beer.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLfHTOGayWpjWLUCIIaOPVU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145278

The family next to us ordered this huge bowl of shrimp.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVLqdIw_BlPj1rwxqdUsIPT9?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460123491

We turned around and headed back to the ship, walking past the square again where a group of dancers were entertaining the crowds.  00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVK_fnwacZ6BXfZ-7EdOTevS?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460145925

Back to the ship and a view of the town from the upper decks.00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVIZc8r03T1bLiwoLq25t1qU?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1460146154

Nice collection of photos Sandi.

• Like 14

@StLouisCruisers, I  always  love  your  photos but  these  really  give  one  an  idea  of  the  port! Thanks

@rafinmd, We  notified  our  power  company  but  also  arranged  for  multiple  oxygen  tanks that we  have  safely  stored. I  am  a  little nervous  since we  seem  to  have  daily  thunderstorms  and  one  or  two "brownouts" a  day. It  remains  dangerously hot  here as  I  am  sure  it  is  in  many  places today.

Terry

• Like 20
  • Thanks 3

Good Morning. Thanks for the daily and the lists.

Too many people these days try to avoid personal responsibilities and blame someone else for their own misdeeds. A little humility would go a long way.

My Mom was very superstitious. My sister and I would just laugh at it snd today neither of us is superstitious at all.

Groucho's qoute has always been a favorite of mine.

We visited today's port abaord the Oosterdam in 2008 and had a great time there.

Stay  safe everyone.

• Like 17

Thanks for the birthday wishes for DH.  He's not a big celebrator but I know deep down he appreciates each and every person who thinks of him on his special day.❤️

@smitty34877Terry I haven't had time to read the rest of yesterday's Daily but I see Tana came home and is staying at your house now.  You and your daughter will have a special spot in heaven because of your kindness and support of your extended family.  Bless you all!

• Like 20

1 minute ago, StLouisCruisers said:

Thanks for the birthday wishes for DH.  He's not a big celebrator but I know deep down he appreciates each and every person who thinks of him on his special day.❤️

Happy Birthday to your DH! Today will be a lucky day!

• Like 13

Good morning. It was a beautiful sail away out of Ketchikan last night. Beautiful scenery and many Bald Eagle sightings. It was Gala night last night an it appeared many just wore clothing they wore during the day. 

We dined in the Pinnacle again last night and both of us agree the quality of the beef has greatly improved. Service was great.

In the elevator yesterday we exchanged brief remarks with the Executive Chef Of The Fleet who asked about our dining experiences.

We have been invited to a scaled down invitation only Mariners Medal Ceremony this morning and are attending a wine tasting this afternoon.

Did I mention we are also packing!😡🥲

Thanks for the report.

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Good Morning All,

Another warm one, but at the moment at least, we have cloud cover. 

I can’t believe we have a port I’ve been to-twice. The first time I did a ship’s walking tour similar to what @StLouis Cruiser did. We also ended up at the Shrimp Bucket, where they had a harpist playing traditional Mexican songs on the patio. The second time I did the port on my own, with guidance from CC members. I caught the water taxi to Stone Island for a princely sun of 30 pesos, and did a private horseback ride down the beach, visit to the botanical garden, then a walk to the cathedral and the market. Was planning to walk up El Faro on my cruise that was cancelled in April 2020.

Blame it on Someone Else Day: when our Golden does something embarrassing 🤭or particularly naughty, whoever discovers it tells the other, “Your dog!”

So a personal milestone- one year ago today was my last day of work. The group of us who retired together are getting together for lunch next week. It will be good to see them.😁

• Like 26

@msmayor, Happy  Birthday  to  your DD!

@StLouisCruisers, Happy Birthday  to  DH! My  DH  is  the  same  way.....I  on  the  other  hand,love  a  party  and  fuss.

I  appreciate  your  very  nice  words   and  I  am  grateful  that  Tana  and  her  son  and  dog  are  allowing  us  to  help  now. Last  year  when  she  was  so  ill it  was  at  the  height  of  the  NY  experience  with  the  pandemic  and  we  were  separated  for  several  months. We  live  in  the  same  city!

Terry

• Like 21

Happy Friday the 13th and thanks for today's Daily -- "the friendliest place on earth!"

My DSis is a lefty, and says that's because she's in her "right" mind...so I blame her for everything!

Rich - thank you for the reminder of the meteor shower last night. I settled down in the front yard and saw three in 45 minutes. Delightful!

My big news is that on Wednesday I was diagnosed with shingles. Ugh! But it's only a mild case and I'm on the meds now, so it could be much worse! Bummed that I had to skip the church dinner & concert that evening and will probably watch church online on Sunday. Ah well.

Have a great day and stay safe!

Edi

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

👍Thank you for The Daily,  Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for keeping both the Care and Celebration Lists going!😊

I remember watching Groucho's show on TV (of course as a child, lol 😁). The neighbor across the street appeared on it so everyone was tuned in.

😎We've been to the Mexican Riviera several times ~~hopping in a water taxi over to Stone Island in Mazatlán. Other times, piling into an open area 'taxi' (?) for downtown or going to the Golden Zone to find a beach.

😉Thank you to all who contribute with their photos...who knows where mine are, lol!?🙃

🙏Prayers to all in need and 🎂Birthday Wishes

(Birthday Weekend!) to @StLouisCruisershusband and @msmayordaughter.🎶🍰

Katie

250px-You_Bet_Your_Life_(title_card_-_1955-60).jpg

map-mex-ncl-mexican-riviera-la-700x467.jpg

1628795881682_0_FB_IMG_1599483760960.jpg

• Like 21

8 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Happy Friday the 13th and thanks for today's Daily -- "the friendliest place on earth!"

My DSis is a lefty, and says that's because she's in her "right" mind...so I blame her for everything!

Rich - thank you for the reminder of the meteor shower last night. I settled down in the front yard and saw three in 45 minutes. Delightful!

My big news is that on Wednesday I was diagnosed with shingles. Ugh! But it's only a mild case and I'm on the meds now, so it could be much worse! Bummed that I had to skip the church dinner & concert that evening and will probably watch church online on Sunday. Ah well.

Edi

Pleased it is only a mild case of shingles and getting the anti viral tablets early makes a big difference.

We have both had shingles which was mildly painful but the early anti viral tablets made a big difference for us.

Take care.

Graham.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pleased it is only a mild case of shingles and getting the anti viral tablets early makes a big difference.

We have both had shingles which was mildly painful but the early anti viral tablets made a big difference for us.

Take care.

Graham.

DH & I got the new shingles shots when they became available, so I was puzzled why I got it. The dr explained that the shots are 90% effective, so I'm one of the "lucky" 10 percent!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, dfish said:

Good morning, everyone.

The car is packed and I am ready to roll this morning.  Hopefully I'll be early and miss most of the heavy traffic north in Michigan.  

Today's meal is one I would probably enjoy, but need to steer clear of.  The pasta is too carb heavy and the spinach is too high in oxalates which cause kidney stones.  Three of those were three too many.  But, I hope others can enjoy it.  It does look really good.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/giada-de-laurentiis/penne-with-spinach-sauce-recipe-1944910

1066435342_PennewithSpinachSauce.jpeg.dc4ce5043f42d58b958716eb215f2deb.jpeg

I hope everyone's day is great!!   

Safe travels.

• Like 11

7 minutes ago, NextOne said:

DH & I got the new shingles shots when they became available, so I was puzzled why I got it. The dr explained that the shots are 90% effective, so I'm one of the "lucky" 10 percent!

That's very unlucky.

We have never been offered shingles vaccines in England but when our shingles was diagnosed the doctor gave us both a prescription for anti viral tablets.

• Like 10

1 minute ago, grapau27 said:

That's very unlucky.

We have never been offered shingles vaccines in England but when our shingles was diagnosed the doctor gave us both a prescription for anti viral tablets.

The big blue pills?

• Like 8

33 minutes ago, NextOne said:

Edi

Make sure you drink LOTS of water. The side effects are nasty to the pills. I had shingles last month. 

Edited by summer slope
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Good morning all!

Happy Friday the 13th -- I'm not superstitious so it's just another day for me.  It's annoying when someone tries to blame everything on someone else and never takes responsibility.  Happy Left Handers' Day!  I'm the only one in my family who is left handed, other than maybe a cousin and now my first grandchild too. He's even more of a "lefty" than I am, as I use my right arm for large motor skills and left for small motor.  Considering only 10% of people are left handed, we have a large number in this group!  I had a teacher who tried hard to get me to use my right hand, but then my Mother told him what she thought of that and he didn't try that again.  She was ahead of her time in that regard I guess.  Five years ago I broke a finger on my left hand and it was torture trying to use my right hand to eat or write anything.

We're going to my sister's up north of Bellingham for the weekend for a family get-together, and I'm baking apple pies and muffins to bring.  Of course it's the hottest day of the week too!  DH and I are now seriously thinking of having A/C put in the house. Even though our hot weather doesn't last for weeks or months like other parts of the country, it's pretty miserable when it comes.

The meal and wine both sound good, have never been to Mazatlan. Thank you for photos!

@dfishsafe travels!

@msmayor happy birthday to your daughter!

@StLouisCruisers happy birthday to your DH!

@smitty34877so happy Tana is home now 🙂  

@NextOnevery sorry to hear about your shingles, but glad to hear it's a mild case.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1