72 hours, or 3 days. They are not the same. What is the testing requirement?

beltsbear

We are leaving on Saturday.  I had my test at Wednesday at 11am.  That is 74 hours.  But the website clearly says three days.  Most people interpreting that would mean a test on anytime during Wednesday would be ok.  But other people might say no, it has to be within 72 hours.  Anyone have clarity on this?  

• Like 1

I completely agree with you. 

Up until a few days ago, even X’s website had conflicting info. One FAQ said 72 hours and then the next FAQ in the list said 3 days. Lucky that has been corrected and it says 3 days. 

Taking a test on Wednesday at any time, for a cruise leaving on Saturday, is okay. 

• Like 1

It started as 72 hours from Embarkation.    There was a huge cry of what do you mean how do I calculate ...etc...etc

Celebrity ultimately published (in some places like FAQ) the change and even a direction on how you calculate.    You don't count the cruise day and 3 days before --- So for a Sunday cruise you can be tested on Thursday or after.

As you are pointing out Celebrity is inconsistent in their messaging.    I received 2 emails from them and they say 72 hours.   I planned my test right at 72 hours prior to the ship sailing before they modified to 3 days, but would be comfortable with testing anytime 3 days prior. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It started as 72 hours from Embarkation.    There was a huge cry of what do you mean how do I ...

Oh, heck, it was even crazier than that here for days.  Calculation of hours prior to assigned embarkation slot (But what if there are delays at the pier?!?) or calculation of hours until scheduled ship departure, or ...

Apologies in retrospect to the OP, but you had to be here!

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

As you are pointing out Celebrity is inconsistent in their messaging.    I received 2 emails from them and they say 72 hours.   I planned my test right at 72 hours prior to the ship sailing before they modified to 3 days, but would be comfortable with testing anytime 3 days prior. 

Same here including an email received today. I am planning on 72 hours or less from Seattle time-luckily we board noon because it could be difficult to find a testing site open in our time zone if we had a 3pm arrival time.

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

It started as 72 hours from Embarkation.    There was a huge cry of what do you mean how do I calculate ...etc...etc

Celebrity ultimately published (in some places like FAQ) the change and even a direction on how you calculate.    You don't count the cruise day and 3 days before --- So for a Sunday cruise you can be tested on Thursday or after.

Jim, 

A few days ago, Celebrity revised their FAQs so that they are no longer internally inconsistent. It’s 3 days, not 72 hours.  See the first two FAQs. 

5 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Jim, 

A few days ago, Celebrity revised their FAQs so that they are no longer internally inconsistent. It’s 3 days, not 72 hours.  See the first two FAQs. 

Yes.    I saw that but today I received 2 e-mail from Celebrity and they still say 72 hours.  The major difference in this e-mail is that families with kids over 2 y.o. must also be pre-tested.    I believe in the past they were testing  2-12 y.o. at the pier. 

Obviously those updating the website and those messaging aren't communicating between themselves.

"All guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs. "

6 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Yes.    I saw that but today I received 2 e-mail from Celebrity and they still say 72 hours.  ...

Obviously those updating the website and those messaging aren't communicating between themselves.

Wow, that's just inexcusable.  

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

Wow, that's just inexcusable.  

Let's just say that the person(s) responsible for guest communications and/or the IT folks REALLY need to get on the same page.  CLEAR and TIMELY messaging, most especially in fluid  times like these, is CRITICAL to customer satisfaction, and they've really dropped the ball in a BIG way several times.

Edited by canderson
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, beltsbear said:

We are leaving on Saturday.  I had my test at Wednesday at 11am.  That is 74 hours.  But the website clearly says three days.  Most people interpreting that would mean a test on anytime during Wednesday would be ok.  But other people might say no, it has to be within 72 hours.  Anyone have clarity on this?  

Due to American's difficulty with numbers, the CDC changed 72 hours to 3 days.  If you fly on a Sunday, you  can test anytime on Thursday or later. We just flew from Paris to Newark and the United Airline's web site indicated the same.

20 hours ago, LDEE said:

Due to American's difficulty with numbers, the CDC changed 72 hours to 3 days.  If you fly on a Sunday, you  can test anytime on Thursday or later. We just flew from Paris to Newark and the United Airline's web site indicated the same.

Hmm...the difficulty had nothing to do with math skills but more to do with the following:

Is it 72 hours or less from sail away time?

Is it 72 hours or less from my assigned boarding time?

If I live in the eastern time zone, and have a boarding time of 3pm, where can I find a test site open in the evening so that I can be tested shortly after the 72 hour clock starts ticking?

If I wait until the morning, will my results arrive in time?

• Like 5

On 8/18/2021 at 7:23 PM, deliver42 said:

It's simple. If your cruise is Saturday, your test has to be Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday. The day of cruise doesn't count.

Yes it is definitely just that simple.  I guess maybe some still don't know this.  Celebrity should just remove all references to 72 hours.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes it is definitely just that simple.  I guess maybe some still don't know this.  Celebrity should just remove all references to 72 hours.  

And quit sending emails with that number.  THAT messaging STILL not in sync!

• Like 3

On 8/19/2021 at 8:56 AM, LDEE said:

It would be helpful if Celebrity was consistent.    The confusion is caused by Celebrity not being consistent in their messaging.    Even though they updated their FAQ to say 3 days instead of 72 hours I received this yesterday  ---   You will notice they still say 72 hours from embarkation ..... 

The major change is that children over 2 must be tested prior to arrival.

ll guests over the age of two, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within 72 hours of embarkation. Each guest is responsible for making their own arrangements with an accredited testing provider as well as all associated costs.

• Like 1