Obsessing! Should we cancel or should we go? Reports from recent Edge cruisers requested.

quicklabs

2 minutes ago, Holiday Dreamer said:

Thank you. When did you have the test and where located? appreciate the reply, Joni

Well, I had it at my local Walgreens--the ones in your area should also offer it.  You can also check CVS.

I did have to wait to get an appointment, though.  I've heard they schedule three days in advance, so I'd check online on Sunday and get yourself a Wednesday appointment.  That's what we plan to do for our October cruise.

1 hour ago, Holiday Dreamer said:

Per Celebrity:  All guests two years of age and older, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within three days of embarkation.  Joni

Again, why take the more expensive test that takes longer to get results? You can get a rapid antigen test more easily, get quicker results and pay less.

8 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Again, why take the more expensive test that takes longer to get results? You can get a rapid antigen test more easily, get quicker results and pay less.

I've not seen anything that indicates a price differential between lab PCR and antigen testing.  Where have you come across that information?

On 8/22/2021 at 8:33 PM, Dwight1 said:

As the break thru infections multiply as does the Delta cases skyrocket with the new Lamda variant now identified (more resistant to vaccines) I’m not very optimistic about my February cruise much less taking one in the next month or so. The world is being permanently changed, sadly. I’m beginning to  wonder with the continuous variants if cruises can realistically continue in the future.

Lamda is actually older than Delta and is NOT vaccine resistant.  Let's please stop posting incorrect information here which only gets people nervous for no reason.  Cruises (and life in general) will continue as COVID-19 becomes endemic and is dealt with just like every other virus in circulation that we live with. I hope you can calm down and talk to someone who can help you with your anxiety. 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Fredric22 said:

Lamda is actually ...

Lambda, and had they used the Greek alphabet in its standard order, might have kept the sequence a bit clearer for the rubes like me that are trying to keep the storyline straight!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, hiccups said:

I've not seen anything that indicates a price differential between lab PCR and antigen testing.  Where have you come across that information?

Go online and do some pricing. These price differentials from Fast Test Now's Fort Lauderdale testing location are pretty typical:

PCR - $179
Rapid Antigen - $99

The airport testing facility at FLL:

PCR - $106
Rapid Antigen - $74

Canadian price differentials are quite similar.

59 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Go online and do some pricing. These price differentials from Fast Test Now's Fort Lauderdale testing location are pretty typical:

PCR - $179
Rapid Antigen - $99

The airport testing facility at FLL:

PCR - $106
Rapid Antigen - $74

Canadian price differentials are quite similar.

Thanks.  There isn't any pricing information published at any of the facilities I've checked--they're all listed as free.

6 hours ago, Dwight1 said:

The Pcr gives fewer false positives.

I strongly doubt that was the reason the poster was seeking a PCR test. There seemed to be a general lack of familiarity with the testing options, which is why I posed the question.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:54 PM, quicklabs said:

It sounds as if you are on the fence as well then.  I'm glad that I'm not alone in that. 

Sounds like we have been on the same cruises. Also on EDGE in July, Equinox in August and September 4 is our next one.  Making up for cancellations and time. We felt safer on EDGE than local stores--all are vaccinated on the ship.

2 hours ago, Fouremco said:

I strongly doubt that was the reason the poster was seeking a PCR test. There seemed to be a general lack of familiarity with the testing options, which is why I posed the question.

There are two different testing methods.  One is for the detection of Virus RNA particles, the other is for the actual virus antigen.

The first, common called the PCR is very sensitivie and will detect the presence of virus, or virus particles and can have false positives.  But if negative, it is an indication that at the time of the test, you have not had any substantial contact with the virus.

The antigen based test is quicker and less expensive.  Not as invasive.  If positive, you definitely have the virus, if negative, and you have symptoms, then a follow up PCR test is indicated. 

Hope this helps. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

There are two different testing methods.  One is for the detection of Virus RNA particles, the other is for the actual virus antigen.

The first, common called the PCR is very sensitivie and will detect the presence of virus, or virus particles and can have false positives.  But if negative, it is an indication that at the time of the test, you have not had any substantial contact with the virus.

The antigen based test is quicker and less expensive.  Not as invasive.  If positive, you definitely have the virus, if negative, and you have symptoms, then a follow up PCR test is indicated. 

Hope this helps. 

I almost booked a November cruise out of Fort Lauderdale but decided against it after seeing their covid numbers. Hope things improve for early 2022 or I will book next May out of New Jersey.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:37 PM, quicklabs said:

Can anyone give me some intel on how things are on board recently?  Specifically interested on social distancing in Luminae, the Retreat, bars, Cafe al Bacio,  the theater, on decks, the Windjammer, 

You will forever be comparing your experience. As time goes by, your future cruises on whatever ship today, will never live up to this time, when passenger capacity increases.

At the present time specifically to the Edge:  The Retreat was booked solid and the tables were place 6 inches apart, absolutely no social distancing in the Luminae. The Luminae is our main focal point and although I understand that there is much fine specialty dining (and it was complimentary in our case) we did not avail ourselves, being simple eaters. Lobster night was a fiasco. Luminae opened at 5:30 in anticipation of a large crowd. This venue which on every other evening serves around 140 guests served 280 guests and although Luminae strives to accommodate its Retreat guests it could not on this evening. Long line and long wait (I heard 2 hours for dinner that evening). The rest of the Retreat, bars, Cafe al Bacio, the theatre, Retreat deck, even the Windjammer one could easily social distance and the spaces between lounges were 6 feet. Guests could easily and did social distance in the theatre. First time in 50 years we ate (desserts) in the buffet. Loved the roundabout touchless hand washing station at the entrance to the Windjammer, washed coming and going. Loved the dedicated plate and silverware attendant was masked and gloved. Loved that everyone was served and used plates and silverware immediately picked up from tables and wiped down. Did NOT like the condiment section next to the fried rice station was still not updated as well allowing guests to open bottles and dispense instead of individually wrapped cups of condiments.

12 hours ago, stevenr597 said:

Hope this helps. 

LOL. Thanks, I'm fully aware of the differences, but the poster to whom I had addressed my question appeared not to be. Which is why I asked why she was looking for a PCR test when an antigen test was all that was required by Celebrity.

We are cancelling next month cruise on Equinox. Like so many have said, it a personal decision. We made the reservation in May, a totally different environment. Now, too many constant changes and risks especially traveling and spending a few days in Florida before the cruise. Linda and I sat down at dinner at our marina and reviewed all the plus and minus factors, but what tipped the scale was what my Linda said that really made so much sense...., "This isn't fun anymore"  After all, when you spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, it should be fun planning excursions, pre cruise port exploration, mingling with people on the ship, etc. I totally undersatnd people that state "This is the new normal " and yes, you can cruise if you want to deal with the various challenges. But to us a vacation should be fun..., not challenging.  We are disappointed, but hope next year brings a better cruise environment. Stay Happy and Safe everyone !

• Like 6

3 hours ago, runningtide said:

We are cancelling next month cruise on Equinox. Like so many have said, it a personal decision. We made the reservation in May, a totally different environment. Now, too many constant changes and risks especially traveling and spending a few days in Florida before the cruise. Linda and I sat down at dinner at our marina and reviewed all the plus and minus factors, but what tipped the scale was what my Linda said that really made so much sense...., "This isn't fun anymore"  After all, when you spend thousands of dollars on a vacation, it should be fun planning excursions, pre cruise port exploration, mingling with people on the ship, etc. I totally undersatnd people that state "This is the new normal " and yes, you can cruise if you want to deal with the various challenges. But to us a vacation should be fun..., not challenging.  We are disappointed, but hope next year brings a better cruise environment. Stay Happy and Safe everyone !

I recently cancelled a fall trip out of "Rome" on another cruise line.  Just too much traveling, too many potential exposures, long flights, trains, hotels, etc.

We have a domestic cruise out of Miami late this year and Alaska next year.  Despite the advice of others here, which is generally sound advice, we are flying in the day of the cruise to minimize exposures prior to boarding.  In each case we've booked non-stop flights.

Things are not perfect, but I'm hopeful that we can do this safely. It's true that flying in on the day of the cruise adds a layer of risk, but it also removes a layer of risk.

But I do agree that cancelling is often a good option during these unsettled Covid Days.

Edited by Stockjock

I am grateful to those furnishing the percentage capacity of the Edge.  How did you obtain the percentage capacity of a Celebrity cruise departing Florida, particularly the Edge?  I have tried to obtain this information but to no avail.  We are scheduled for a Jan. Apex sailing from Ft. Lauderdale.

Thank you 

I don't think anyone including Celebrity can predict what the capacity will be in January.   I'm sure they are/were hoping to be at 100% or very close by then.  If things don't get  better in the next couple of months it might be the market which dictates how full the ships are.

• Like 1