Obsessing! Should we cancel or should we go? Reports from recent Edge cruisers requested.

quicklabs

Back at the end of May, when it looked as if COVID was well in retreat, we booked a SS on Celebrity Edge for  4 September.  Four previous cruises had been cancelled and we couldn't wait to go.   Of course, with the Delta variant, COVID isn't in retreat anymore, and Florida's numbers are higher than ever.  So,  I keep asking myself if we are sufficiently comfortable with the current COVID situation to actually go.  We got vaxxed back in March.  I'm healthy--hubby has heart problems.   Can anyone give me some intel on how things are on board recently?  Specifically interested on social distancing in Luminae, the Retreat, bars, Cafe al Bacio,  the theater, on decks, the Windjammer,  if/where masks are being worn, how they are handling muster.....  I am wondering if I am worrying about things I don't need to worry about.  I'd sure hate to cancel if the ship is safe.   Thanks in advance for the intel!

Edited by quicklabs

I'm also booked to sail on the September 4th sailing.  While I know Florida's numbers are rising, I am very confident that Celebrity has a handle on the situation.  I actually feel very safe boarding the ship.  If you read the two threads that were referenced in the above post, I'm thinking you'll get a very comfortable feeling about sailing with Celebrity.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by jcpc
  • Like 2

Sailed Equinox Aug 1...it was great...no masking, etc...one of the best cruises I have ever been on.  

You could have a chair in the sun, and one right across the way in the shade at the Pool.

My Wife says she is spoiled forever at the lack of crowds..

Muster is handled by watching a video, then reporting on your on to your Muster Station.  

That said, I haven't been scared of covid, crowds, etc from day one.  Been going to full capacity concerts near me, nary a mask in sight.  2500 seat outdoor amphitheater.  

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 5

Since you will not yet be eligible for a booster, you may want to delay your cruise.   It appears the earlier vaccines to lose some effectiveness after six months and you have to wait until 8 months to get a booster.   We were also vaccinated in March so we can’t get the booster until November.   Luckily for us our next cruise is in December.   

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

Back at the end of May, when it looked as if COVID was well in retreat, we booked a SS on Celebrity Edge for  4 September.  Four previous cruises had been cancelled and we couldn't wait to go.   Of course, with the Delta variant, COVID isn't in retreat anymore, and Florida's numbers are higher than ever.  So,  I keep asking myself if we are sufficiently comfortable with the current COVID situation to actually go.  We got vaxxed back in March.  I'm healthy--hubby has heart problems.   Can anyone give me some intel on how things are on board recently?  Specifically interested on social distancing in Luminae, the Retreat, bars, Cafe al Bacio,  the theater, on decks, the Windjammer,  if/where masks are being worn, how they are handling muster.....  I am wondering if I am worrying about things I don't need to worry about.  I'd sure hate to cancel if the ship is safe.   Thanks in advance for the intel!

There have been MANY current cruisers posting their experience on a daily basis, on multiple threads on CC.  Almost all seem to be thrilled with their experience, they are all easy to find..  With that said, you seem uncertain as to what you should do, and only YOU can make that decision.  

• Like 2

We sailed in early July.   Although the ship capacity was just over 50% the Retreat was fully booked so the Retreat areas and Luminae were at capacity and no social distancing.   Still felt comfortable but just understand the Retreat is selling very well and won't be at 1/2 capacity.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wrk2cruise said:

We sailed in early July.   Although the ship capacity was just over 50% the Retreat was fully booked so the Retreat areas and Luminae were at capacity and no social distancing.   Still felt comfortable but just understand the Retreat is selling very well and won't be at 1/2 capacity.  

Thank you.  This is the exactly the kind of info I am looking for.  

If you’re nervous about it, you should probably pass at this time. I sailed in July and felt comfortable on the ship. We did not wear masks. Most people did not wear masks. It almost felt like cruising pre Covid. We had 1 person come up positive by the end of the cruise. We did not require a Covid test at that time because it wasn’t required for the vaccinated. 

• Like 2

We are currently on the Edge on a B3B and are feeling quite safe. However, since we ARE on 3 consecutive cruises, we have to make sure we can pass the antigen test the day before each of the first 2 legs finish, so we can go on the next one. So we are doubly cautious.

You mentioned eating in Luminae. Just tell them you want to be seated in a place where you won’t be sitting next to anyone. They are very accommodating. But just remember you will probably be seated at that table for the duration of the cruise and you probably won’t be near a window. But, you will feel safe.

Also, the Edge is currently running at about 40-45% of capacity, so there is plenty of room for you to social distance. You just need to seek out those out of the way places in the theater, The Club, Eden, and Martini Bar and any other place you want to hang out at where you will feel safe. 

So, don’t worry, get tested and come on down, the water is fine! 😎

BTW we’re leaving St Maarten now and heading back to Port Everglades which should take us 2 glorious sea days to get there!

image.jpg

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 19

Just made final payment for our Nov 13 sailing on Summit out of Miami.    We figure that if things worsen significantly between now and then, we'll use the Cruise with Confidence out to cancel this and rebook for sometime in 2022.     If things remain as they are today, we'll sail.    Also hope that we can get a booster shot between now and then as well.

In the end,   Make a decision you are comfortable with.

• Like 1

We are also on the 9/4 Edge sailing and have been pondering the same thing. Should we stay or should we go....? I have been tring to keep up and see if any cases of covid are being reported. So far so good. As long as it stays the same with very few cases we will go. Now that its a little over two weeks away we are hunkering down ourselves. Don't want a postivie covid test that prevents us from boarding!

• Like 3

Lots of good advice here.  On my 2nd (non-b2b) Celebrity Edge Cruise right now.  About 1,000 passengers of a total capacity of 2,800.  No crowds.  All over 12 must be vaccinated.  EVERYONE over 2 must have a negative COVID test.  

Glad to do both to cruise safely.  Celebrity is doing this right.  It’s fantastic sailing without the crowds right now.  And, knowing this id as safe as they can make it is a relief.

• Like 8

We were on the August 7th Edge sailing and loved it. The combination of the vaccination cards and negative test for boarding made us feel safer on the ship than honestly we are in most of our day to day lives at work etc.

Now I will say that our original plan was to get to Florida a few days early and enjoy the bars and such. We decided NOT to do that - we mostly stayed at our hotel, played board and card games, and ate at outdoor places - but we changed very little of what we wanted to do on the Edge.

• Like 5

You probably will  be safer on the Edge, then staying home.  I am quite sure that Celebrity will do everything and anything to make sure that your cruise is as safe as possible.  

Remember....nothing is a sure thing.

Go and enjoy. 

Making recommendations for other people while we are experiencing a surge in infections and the Pandemic continues is not something I’d do. How would i feel if I say, ‘yes, it seems safe, go’, and they contract COVID. What happens if I say ‘No, its not smart to go on some cruise ship’, they don’t go and things turn around, or being onboard appears to be safer than wandering around our local towns?? 

We all agree It’s the OP’s call. the numbers appear to be very low onboard and most are reporting they feel safe. I just made my final payment for my Thanksgiving cruise on the Apex so I’m planning. But I do it with concern and a full understanding that I’m increasing my risk. 

I want to cruise and will take the risk…….but that is my personal call. We are all facing risk not just for cruising but around our communities because we are experiencing a continued Pandemic….A Pandemic of the Unvaccinated! But one that can and does impact those who have vaccinated.

Crazy isn’t it.

den

• Like 11
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We are asking the same questions about our October cruise.  Right now we are more concerned about our day and a half in Florida than the 7 days on the ship.

Yes!  The time in Florida (less than 24 hours) is probably a bigger concern for us than the ship.  

• Like 5

7 hours ago, jcpc said:

I'm also booked to sail on the September 4th sailing.  While I know Florida's numbers are rising, I am very confident that Celebrity has a handle on the situation.  I actually feel very safe boarding the ship.  If you read the two threads that were referenced in the above post, I'm thinking you'll get a very comfortable feeling about sailing with Celebrity.  Good luck with whatever you decide.

I felt safer on EDGE in July and Equinox in August then in local stores---- and we live in Florida. People and crew are vaccinated.   We are also booked on the September 4.  Making up for lost time and all of the cancellations.  It's hard to decide with all of the news.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Raintree said:

I felt safer on EDGE in July and Equinox in August then in local stores---- and we live in Florida. People and crew are vaccinated.   We are also booked on the September 4.  Making up for lost time and all of the cancellations.  It's hard to decide with all of the news.

It sounds as if you are on the fence as well then.  I'm glad that I'm not alone in that. 

3 hours ago, quicklabs said:

It sounds as if you are on the fence as well then.  I'm glad that I'm not alone in that. 

As of now, we are going. Once onboard, you do forget about the outside world.  There is "automatic" social distancing among people.  Hope you go.

We are booked on the 9/4 edge sailing.  So long as our testing is negative, we are moving forward and will board the Edge as planned.  I think it’s up to each of us to decide for ourselves and family what we can or cannot be comfortable with.    

we recently canceled our trip to Aruba because of the testing to come back to the USA.  We chose to book the Edge as a replacement vacation.  We are looking forward to our cruise on the Edge but understand it too could be canceled for us if testing doesn’t work for us.  

• Like 3