Obsessing! Should we cancel or should we go? Reports from recent Edge cruisers requested.

quicklabs

We sailed on the Edge in July and had an amazing time. The ship was at 50% capacity and it was a relaxed and enjoyable atmosphere. I felt very safe and did not regret going on the cruse at any point. You should go!

We are currently on the Equinox with about 1300 passengers and it’s my observation that with any passenger load there will be numerous instances where social distancing is not practiced. This may be the elevator, in line at the bar or waiting for eggs in the ocean view cafe.  If that is going to bother you, you should cancel now.  Only you can decide your comfort level..

• Like 4

I can totally understand the OP's concerns. We are scheduled for September 17th 9 day ABC. Both of us are vaccinated, and both are also COVID survivors, though lucky without need for hospitalization. We are both also on the fence watching how the next several weeks pan out. One plus is Celebrities Cruise with Confidence program which remains in force until October. In the unlucky event we test positive on the cruise, and are disembarked at one of the ports, at least we know Celebrity will fly us home so we dont have to quarantine in a foreign port. 

One new problem is starting to arise.  Port availability, health procedures, and excursion restrictions are changing almost daily. One of the ports on our trip, Bonaire, just announced all passengers must show negative PCR test results 24 hours before embarkation, before we can go ashore. I have no idea how Celebrity will address this new requirement. 

Both of us picked this cruise back in May because the ABC's are the only Caribbean Islands we have not visited. Celebrity has already made one itinerary change to this trip, and if they drop another port, I don't know what the cruise will eventually look like. We have talked it over and frankly, Id still be happy to stay aboard the entire 10 days if we don't like any substituted ports. But other guest may feel very different. 

In closing, most of us so far trust Celebrity procedures for Covid management on the ships, but there is still a lot of uncertainty for planning. Not fun like it was pre Covid. For us we will make our final decision in a few weeks. 

My best wishes to the OP and others on this post.

Edited by runningtide
  • Like 1

We are on the Millennium, not the Edge, but I will give you some thoughts on what I’ve observed. In general, the ship is the opposite of crowded. However, there have been, in my view, some questionable decisions you Celebrity in how they approach COVID protocols. For example, before one excursion, all of those on the trip were gathered in one lounge where we waited for half an hour. As a result, the lounge was quite crowded with little to no distancing. Almost everyone in the lounge was unmasked and speaking with others. In my view, a smarter protocol would have been to call smaller groups down to the lower decks to board the smaller vessel rather than crowding everyone together into one space. 

Similarly, the dining room is half empty: the port half. Everyone is seated on one side of the dining room, as a result, although the ship is half empty, guests are seated at tables immediately next to one another. 

The theater has some seats marked as closed for distancing with a cloth sign attached by velcro. However, there is zero enforcement of this and people just sit on top of the signs as a result of there being no actual impediment to sitting there. The theater is still large enough that with reduced guest counts you can find some space, but there is often someone still immediately behind or in front of you. 

Excursions were crowded with bus seats filled. There is no distancing and no enforcement of mask requirements. 

This is a tough choice, and we agonized over whether to cancel before deciding to give it a go. We feel pretty safe on the ship, but we ARE those people with the masks on. We are more comfortable with that extra layer of protection for ourselves, and more importantly our unvaccinated 9-year-old who is with us. Only you can make the right decision for you. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

I honestly think it’s a personal decision regardless, what one individual feels is an acceptable risk another won’t. We all know now that even after the two jabs you can still catch Covid and indeed a small number have still been hospitalised. In my opinion that risk increases when on a cruise ship  compared to staying at home.

5 hours ago, yorky said:

I honestly think it’s a personal decision regardless, what one individual feels is an acceptable risk another won’

I would think that is the answer the person needs to figure out. How other people comforts in this strange surreal environment is good information but still comes down to the individual level.   If any person is stressing on all the "what ifs" that can happen probably will not be an enjoyable cruise mentally wise.  I'm still planning on going on mine in Nov with the Connie, unless I think on the other rumors its sold (the rumor for the last 4 years so eventually it will be right I guess) 

Anyone out and about these days WILL be exposed to the delta virus, as people who are infected (even those vaccinated) carry high viral loads.  Florida currently is experiencing a pretty scary spike in cases.  Daily deaths in the US are approaching 1,000 per day now.

So it's a very personal decision for you whether or not to cruise under the current conditions, especially given that your husband has heart issues.  

Whether 2022 will be any better is anyone's guess.  UK scientists are saying that the mutated virus will eventually evade the vaccines, and they say we'll then be right back to 2020 where governments will have to lockdown like in 2020.  I think that's just fear mongering but who knows.

17 hours ago, quicklabs said:

Back at the end of May, when it looked as if COVID was well in retreat, we booked a SS on Celebrity Edge for  4 September.  Four previous cruises had been cancelled and we couldn't wait to go.   Of course, with the Delta variant, COVID isn't in retreat anymore, and Florida's numbers are higher than ever.  So,  I keep asking myself if we are sufficiently comfortable with the current COVID situation to actually go.  We got vaxxed back in March.  I'm healthy--hubby has heart problems.   Can anyone give me some intel on how things are on board recently?  Specifically interested on social distancing in Luminae, the Retreat, bars, Cafe al Bacio,  the theater, on decks, the Windjammer,  if/where masks are being worn, how they are handling muster.....  I am wondering if I am worrying about things I don't need to worry about.  I'd sure hate to cancel if the ship is safe.   Thanks in advance for the intel!

I was on Equinox, not Edge, but I have some thoughts. I am an MD, but not in frontline care.

First, only you and DH can decide how comfortable with risk you are, and, frankly, how much “ vacation normalcy” you are willing to give up and still have a good time.

Involve DH’s physician in this decision, your husband may qualify for a booster dose now, especially since you are planning this trip. Be sure his third dose is the same vaccine as the first 2. There’s just enough time to be through the 2 weeks.

Second, you can control your exposure in most settings, I’ve been doing it for almost 18 months now. On board Equinox, I wore a mask in most elevator trips. I automatically “walk away” from situations where I feel too crowded and put on a mask when I can’t.

At about half capacity, the ship feels very empty. The Martini Bar, Sunset at sail away (that’s where the Cruise Citic meet and Greet was held), strangely Persian Garden and the gym and once in Al Bacio were the only places that I felt were too crowded. We decided on no excursions and only got off the ship once at Costa Maya - we were able to easily social distance there, and everyone was masked. Some people would say that was a complete waste of money on a cruise, but given what I’ve been doing for the last year it was heaven.

Finally, the onboard environment is safer in terms of vaccination level than anywhere in the US - pretty much everyone you come into contact with is vaccinated. But you do have to get there. I felt more uncomfortable on the Plane Train in Hartsfield- Jackson than anywhere on the ship. On our flight home, we only had to change one terminal and we simultaneously decided to walk.

Again, only you can decide, not traveling is the safest decision right now, no doubt, but how risky is travel and how much can you mitigate that risk is a personal assessment.

EDIT:

This is not medical advice, please consult with your physician. Also, we did a few things, like the Chefs Table, that I would not recommend for anyone who was really concerned about transmission, s no one is perfect.

The posters who talked about seating everyone in one side of MDR and crowding on excursions. I see similar behavior all the time, it is very very difficult to see the risk in everyday behaviors, especially, if like the waitstaff, making your job efficient is important to you. If you are a high risk person to get Covid, or in my case to pass it on, you have to be aware of your space all the time - and that’s hard.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 12
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, cangelmd said:

. But you do have to get there. I felt more uncomfortable on the Plane Train in Hartsfield- Jackson than anywhere on the ship. On our flight home, we only had to change one terminal and we simultaneously decided to walk.

Agree on the Plane Train...I've never liked that thing....even in normal times.  It's about a 1/4 mile between concourses...I walk many times IF I only have to go one over.  Plus, the moving sidewalks are cool.

Sorry for getting WAY off topic...🙂

Edited by PTC DAWG

46 minutes ago, Dwight1 said:

I get my booster in late October, next cruise is 10 days on Millennium on February 20. This timing seems far better all around.

I would hesitate to cancel my bookings because of a "booster" that remains subject to CDC/FDA approval for the general population. Also, I've seen three different dates specified in the term, "eight months from...". Assuming it is approved, there's no guarantee we can get it exactly eight months from the specified date. A potential booster is simply one more unknown to add to our individual cost/benefit analyses of keeping or canceling our cruises. Thus far, we're keeping our October and December cruises.

Edited by Silkroad

18 hours ago, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We are asking the same questions about our October cruise.  Right now we are more concerned about our day and a half in Florida than the 7 days on the ship.

We live in Florida, Orlando and Cocoa Beach.

Yes we are seeing an increase in Covid Cases....being a physician I come into contact with potential and confirmed cases several times/week. 

But  are also seeing a big increase in tourists from all over the country.

While there is no absolute certainty in life, If you respect Social Distancing, wear a mask, use some good common sense, you will be safe.

Enjoy.  

• Like 5

I recently cancelled an 11 night MSC cruise out of Rome (Fall 2021) and feel good about that decision.

We also have a shorter Celebrity cruise out of Miami later in the year and next year, a Celebrity cruise to Alaska.  So far, I'm feeling comfortable with the 2 Celebrity "domestic" cruises.

Last week was one of the largest outbreaks on a cruise ship since the restart. 

27-positive people on board a Carnival ship. 26 were crew members, and only 1 was a guest. It looks like all had mild or no symptoms. 

Any vacation will have an inherent risk, but the odds seem to be low on cruses right now. 

42 minutes ago, Silkroad said:

A potential booster is simply one more unknown to add to our individual cost/benefit analyses of keeping or canceling our cruises.

Just to reassure you from "real life" --

My DH and I received our 3rd shot (booster) two weeks ago, as well as more than a million Israelis. The studies monitoring the level of antibodies in those who received the 3rd are amazing. No side effects, none at all.

It started with those over 60 years old, went down to 50, as of today -- those over 40. Our son, who is 40 and 5 months, already made his appointment for next Monday.

Nevertheless, when going food shopping, or any other "crowded" venue, I wear a cloth mask on top of my paper mask. It fits tighter.

That's my recommendation to the OP -- wear a double mask, and be aware of your surroundings.

I'm swimming every day in an open Olympic pool.

When stopping to take a breath at the end of the lane, if there are others who also stopped to talk or rest, I'm switching lanes, as to be at least 2 meters from another "human being" 😁.

Good luck with whatever you decide 👍

• Like 7

51 minutes ago, dani negreanu said:

My DH and I received our 3rd shot (booster) two weeks ago, as well as more than a million Israelis. The studies monitoring the level of antibodies in those who received the 3rd are amazing. No side effects, none at all.

Thank you for the information. Good to know, but I'm not at all concerned about side affects from a booster. I'm simply not willing to put my life on hold in anticipation of a booster that is not yet approved for the general US population. Once it is approved and the roll out begins, I'll happily sign up for one ASAP. Meanwhile, I'm quite looking forward to being aboard Edge in October😊

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silkroad said:

Thank you for the information. Good to know, but I'm not at all concerned about side affects from a booster. I'm simply not willing to put my life on hold in anticipation of a booster that is not yet approved for the general US population. Once it is approved and the roll out begins, I'll happily sign up for one ASAP. Meanwhile, I'm quite looking forward to being aboard Edge in October😊

Interestingly, I was asked almost this same question by a friend last night and saw a précis of a JAMA article, just published that sort of addresses the question of will I have a reaction to the booster. A large study of healthcare workers at John’s Hopkins confirmed what we have heard anecdotally, it’s the second exposure to Covid antigens that gets you. in this study, the more severe reactions were more common after the second shot in people had never had Covid, but if a person had had Covid, THEN got the 2 vaccinations, more of the severe reactions were reported after their first doses. The study isn’t exactly like getting 3 vaccine doses, but implies that fewer people will have fever, chills, bad malaise after the 3rd dose.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

a JAMA article, just published that sort of addresses the question of will I have a reaction to the booster.

What I wanted especially to stress out [more than the amount of side effects] is, that the level of antibodies "jumps" 6 times more a week after the 3rd jab, which is indeed amazing !!

In another study, an interesting find was that those who already had Covid, their immunity is stronger in comparison with the immunity created by the vaccine [in our case - Pfizer].

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dani negreanu said:

What I wanted especially to stress out [more than the amount of side effects] is, that the level of antibodies "jumps" 6 times more a week after the 3rd jab, which is indeed amazing !!

In another study, an interesting find was that those who already had Covid, their immunity is stronger in comparison with the immunity created by the vaccine [in our case - Pfizer].

I think you mean vaccine plus Covid? From what I’ve seen in the literature, and frankly right now speculation by experts, way more expert than I am, the immunity from vaccination alone should/will be more durable than immunity from having Covid only. Covid PLUS vaccine may turn out to be the best, but that is not established quite. Typically, vaccine induced immunity is more “complete”, so that is the party line as I understand now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My decision would be centered around what type of heart problem you are talking about.  For someone with a serious heart condition, any travel would be off the table for me.  Only your Doctor can advise how much risk his particular heart condition would be if he caught COVID. To me that is key.  I hope this works out for you

We were on Edge the last week in July and first week in August in a Sky Suite.  Luminae was at capacity as they sold out the suites.  I have some health issues which make me very cautious.  Since all adults on the cruise were vaccinated and there were very few young children (none we’re seated near us the whole 2 weeks) we felt safe.  After Labor Day there will likely be even fewer children. You should however, discuss with your husband’s doctor his/her recommendation for whether or not it is a good choice for him at this time.  We found it very freeing and refreshing to be back out at sea. We felt safe and didn’t have any issues. We felt so good we booked another cruise in October on the Millennium. The vaccination percentage is far higher than in our local community.

12 hours ago, Covepointcruiser said:

If COVID survivors immunity is so good, why do we see so many repeat cases of COVID in the same people??

My understanding is that Covid survivors' immunity is better in comparison to vaccine-induced immunity.

Yes, we had here rare cases of "double" Covid, and the explanation was that it was a different variant.

There is a huge unknown amount about Covid -- friend of mine, who had more than mild side effects after the 2nd shot, was vary to take the 3rd. Instead, she decided to check her level of antibodies.

Her hubby decided to go with her, and to check his too. They've been vaccinated at the same dates.

Results -- my friend had a very nice level of antibodies 6 months after her 2nd shot, whereas the hubby had almost none....

Gender difference??  Go figure....