Obsessing! Should we cancel or should we go? Reports from recent Edge cruisers requested.

quicklabs

12 hours ago, cangelmd said:

I think you mean vaccine plus Covid?

Friends of mine got sick March 4th, 2020, while returning from abroad, just before "the big 'bang' ". They even got a number -- 1078 and 1079, when we were naive thinking it will be over soon.

When the vaccination started here, Dec. 2020, they were eligible only to one shot, whereas those who have not been sick, to 2 shots.

They still are not eligible to the 3rd shot.

Not all of the Covid-survivors wanted to get the shot, many preferred to have their antibodies level checked and, indeed, the vast majority had enough to forego the shots entirely.

Should you want to see the latest research at one of the leading hospitals worldwide headed by Prof. Gili Regev-Yochai, here's a link ["Lancet" in PubMed] --

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33610193/

Prof. Regev-Yochay counts among the leaders of the fight with COVID-19 and is one of the premier infectious diseases experts Sheba Medical Center has been blessed to have. In both research and public discourse, Prof. Regev-Yochay assumed a central role concerning the virus from her position as a national and international expert. 

10 hours ago, gbphipps said:

We were on Edge the last week in July and first week in August in a Sky Suite.  Luminae was at capacity as they sold out the suites.  I have some health issues which make me very cautious.  Since all adults on the cruise were vaccinated and there were very few young children (none we’re seated near us the whole 2 weeks) we felt safe.  After Labor Day there will likely be even fewer children. You should however, discuss with your husband’s doctor his/her recommendation for whether or not it is a good choice for him at this time.  We found it very freeing and refreshing to be back out at sea. We felt safe and didn’t have any issues. We felt so good we booked another cruise in October on the Millennium. The vaccination percentage is far higher than in our local community.

In contrast there are 53 vacant sky suites on the upcoming Aug 21st Edge sailing boarding tomorrow with an estimated total of only 850 passengers (29% of capacity). Should definitely be a relaxing cruise with plenty of room to roam! 😎

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dani negreanu said:

Friends of mine got sick March 4th, 2020, while returning from abroad, just before "the big 'bang' ". They even got a number -- 1078 and 1079, when we were naive thinking it will be over soon.

When the vaccination started here, Dec. 2020, they were eligible only to one shot, whereas those who have not been sick, to 2 shots.

They still are not eligible to the 3rd shot.

Not all of the Covid-survivors wanted to get the shot, many preferred to have their antibodies level checked and, indeed, the vast majority had enough to forego the shots entirely.

Should you want to see the latest research at one of the leading hospitals worldwide headed by Prof. Gili Regev-Yochai, here's a link ["Lancet" in PubMed] --

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33610193/

Prof. Regev-Yochay counts among the leaders of the fight with COVID-19 and is one of the premier infectious diseases experts Sheba Medical Center has been blessed to have. In both research and public discourse, Prof. Regev-Yochay assumed a central role concerning the virus from her position as a national and international expert. 

There is no abstract attached to that link, but I will try to find it. All I know for certain is that it would be unusual for a natural infection to be better than a vaccination (some are equal, like measles, for example), but on the other hand, these are the first generation of Covid vaccines and perhaps they aren’t optimized.

I’m not really arguing, but I don’t think people should forgo vaccination because they have had Covid - that is far from a sure thing.

Could it be in Israel that one shot for people who have had Covid is a national policy to conserve vaccine? As high as the vaccination rates are in Israel, it is likely a reasonable policy, although they would not be considered fully vaccinated in the US. Time will tell. I wouldn’t be surprised at all if the most durable immunity comes from different forms of “exposure” to Covid, but it will be a couple of years before we know that.

Edited by cangelmd
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

There is no abstract attached to that link, but I will try to find it.

The article is free to read in PMC.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7906709/

9 minutes ago, cangelmd said:

Could it be in Israel that one shot for people who have had Covid is a national policy to conserve vaccine? 

Yes, it is.

Edited by dani negreanu

On 8/18/2021 at 8:19 PM, CHEZMARYLOU said:

We are asking the same questions about our October cruise.  Right now we are more concerned about our day and a half in Florida than the 7 days on the ship.

I'm wanting to book for November on the Silhouette but my concern is flying from Toronto Canada with a night pre cruise in Fort Lauderdale.  Not worried about the ship. People have advised me against due to Floridas covid numbers but getting the travel itch now.

• Like 1

I want to thank everyone who replied to this post.  I read every response carefully and appreciate the variety of viewpoints offered.  In the end and although I think that the ship itself is as safe as it could possibly be in the present environment,  we have decided to defer travel to February, 2022.  I asked myself, "If knowing what you know now about the current COVID situation in the U.S. and the risk factors attendant to flying, being in airports, taxi cabs, and in Florida, would you still book?"  The answer to that was "No."  Given Celebrity's Cruise with Confidence program, there is no contraindication to deferring this trip until after we have both had our third booster vaccine in November.   So, I think we will do a B3B in February, 2022, allowing us to be in the Caribbean, rather than facing another cold February in Ohio.  Again, thank you all.  

Edited by quicklabs
  • Like 10

23 minutes ago, quicklabs said:

I want to thank everyone who replied to this post.  I read every response carefully and appreciate the variety of viewpoints offered.  In the end and although I think that the ship itself is as safe as it could possibly be in the present environment,  we have decided to defer travel to February, 2022.  I asked myself, "If knowing what you know now about the current COVID situation in the U.S. and the risk factors attendant to flying, being in airports, taxi cabs, and in Florida, would you still book?"  The answer to that was "No."  Given Celebrity's Cruise with Confidence program, there is no contraindication to deferring this trip until after we have both had our third booster vaccine in November.   So, I think we will do a B3B in February, 2022, allowing us to be in the Caribbean, rather than facing another cold February in Ohio.  Again, thank you all.  

Thanks for getting back to us with your decision.  Everyone has to do whatever he/she is comfortable with.  I know one person here at home that has yet to be inside a restaurant since this whole ordeal started.  She does take-out.  Hey, that's okay -- it's what she's comfortable with.

I hear what you're saying about airports, planes, etc.  My travel companion and I discussed this just this morning.  We both feel that, at this time, everything -- even going to the grocery store -- is a crap shoot and a potential place to be infected.  Right now we're still planning on going on this cruise but this can always change in the next 2 weeks.

Again, thanks for getting back to us.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Thanks for getting back to us with your decision.  Everyone has to do whatever he/she is comfortable with.  I know one person here at home that has yet to be inside a restaurant since this whole ordeal started.  She does take-out.  Hey, that's okay -- it's what she's comfortable with.

I hear what you're saying about airports, planes, etc.  My travel companion and I discussed this just this morning.  We both feel that, at this time, everything -- even going to the grocery store -- is a crap shoot and a potential place to be infected.  Right now we're still planning on going on this cruise but this can always change in the next 2 weeks.

Again, thanks for getting back to us.

I wish you a very enjoyable and safe cruise.  And you are absolutely right--everything and everywhere is a crap shoot.  I have to say that the lack of hospital beds in Florida was a huge concern, though.  At least we have them in spades here.  With my husband's heart condition, on the outside chance that he needed a hospital bed, we were concerned that one might not be available.  

• Like 6

On 8/20/2021 at 4:09 PM, quicklabs said:

With my husband's heart condition, on the outside chance that he needed a hospital bed, we were concerned that one might not be available.  

You are so right.  Even if you were to break an ankle and required surgery. Highly unlikely that you would get a hospital bed. Pretty scary stuff.

On 8/19/2021 at 4:51 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

If COVID survivors immunity is so good, why do we see so many repeat cases of COVID in the same people??

Partly due to the way the word 'case' is used.

If positive test = case, we've got a real problem with usage, but I'm afraid that's what happens more often than not.

FWIW,

'Survivors' can 'test' positive for months after true recovery.  In the event that a test is performed and comes up positive for that reason, this becomes a 'case'.

Presence of COVID DNA doesn't necessarily indicate an active infection.  A dead COVID virus has the same genetic makeup as its live relatives, generating a positive test result.  This becomes a 'case'.

Those with immunity from whatever source (natural, survivor, vaccine) aren't somehow blessed with some sort of immunological  hazmat suits.  Coming into contact with the virus can produce a positive test result even if the virus has no chance of taking hold and causing an infection in the individual.  This becomes a 'case'.

The actual number of survivors who test positive and are subsequently found to have live, replicating virus in their respiratory tracts is very, very small.  Most honest quote I've seen thus far on the topic:  "Interpretation of the epidemiologic significance of positive PCR results among recovered patients will remain challenging."   But they'll still be called 'cases'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So for a lot cruising folks who have had COVID or tested positive, why are vaccines still required on cruise ships for them to cruise?   People infected naturally with this virus will have a variable level of lasting immunity, including protecting immunity.  It seems to depend somewhat on the severity of the COVID symptoms (from asymptomatic to mild to severe disease) and possibly age and overall health.  A vaccine produces a more robust and specific immunity (to SPIKE) with a more consistent period of protection (from antibodies and Tcells). That is why the CDC recommends a vaccine even if you have tested positive or have had previous COVID disease symptoms.  

• Like 1

I am a senior  sailing  on 9/25,   I have been going back and forth on cruising and reading updates every day.  Now that 100% vaccination is required for everyone over 12 for my cruise ,due to USVI and Nassau on vaccinations, , .Dont have to travel as I am already here and   I will also be getting my  Pfizer booster this week. .  I will probably mask, but since by myself, shouldn't make a difference. I really need some me time, since the pandemic and the passing of DH.  Like everyone else, tons of cancelled trips already, and really need a change.  Will watch the situation very carefully and know I have the option to cancel a few days before sailing. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Missymo said:

I am a senior  sailing  on 9/25,   I have been going back and forth on cruising and reading updates every day.  Now that 100% vaccination is required for everyone over 12 for my cruise ,due to USVI and Nassau on vaccinations, , .Dont have to travel as I am already here and   I will also be getting my  Pfizer booster this week. .  I will probably mask, but since by myself, shouldn't make a difference. I really need some me time, since the pandemic and the passing of DH.  Like everyone else, tons of cancelled trips already, and really need a change.  Will watch the situation very carefully and know I have the option to cancel a few days before sailing. 

Such a nice post, I hope that things will conditions will stay positive for you and that if you decide to go, you have a fantastic vacation!  Sorry for the loss of your DH, you def deserve some ME time!!!

• Like 1

I’m sailing on the 8/27 Equinox, March heart attack and 2 stents. Some of my friends who received their vaccines in Jan and Feb got dose 3 last week.  I also revived doses 2 and 3 in Jan snd Feb. Yesterday I walked into my local CVS pharmacy and got dose 3 of Moderna as well.  Although my sail date is closer than 2 weeks I feel better about going 

so many posts have emphasized how careful and prepared Celebrity is.  Good luck with your decision, 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, luv4cruises said:

I’m sailing on the 8/27 Equinox, March heart attack and 2 stents. Some of my friends who received their vaccines in Jan and Feb got dose 3 last week.  I also revived doses 2 and 3 in Jan snd Feb. Yesterday I walked into my local CVS pharmacy and got dose 3 of Moderna as well.  Although my sail date is closer than 2 weeks I feel better about going 

so many posts have emphasized how careful and prepared Celebrity is.  Good luck with your decision, 

hello @luv4cruisesI lived in Rancho Bernardo for 10 years, love that area!  Glad you were able to get your booster and can much more comfortably look forward to your cruise!  In health, have a wonderful vacation!!!

On 8/20/2021 at 12:14 PM, jcpc said:

Everyone has to do whatever he/she is comfortable with.  I know one person here at home that has yet to be inside a restaurant since this whole ordeal started.  She does take-out.  Hey, that's okay -- it's what she's comfortable with.

We do not even do take-out.

56 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

hello @luv4cruisesI lived in Rancho Bernardo for 10 years, love that area!  Glad you were able to get your booster and can much more comfortably look forward to your cruise!  In health, have a wonderful vacation!!!

Penasquitos here, just south of Rancho Bernardo.  My mother is in assisted living in Poway.  I like the area.

Edited by Stockjock

On 8/18/2021 at 8:39 PM, oskidunker said:

I would not travel to Florida but that is just me. Depends what your risk tolerance is. 

Agree!!   Florida and Texas definitely need to get their COVID numbers way down.  Throw in Louisiana and Alabama for good measure.  Scary times and not going to change until people put politics aside and think safety for themselves and people around them.

• Like 1

We also are booked on the Edge for Sept 4.  Our dilemma is:  We had an appointment scheduled for the PCR test for Sept 1 with Quest Diagnostics which uses Walmart pharmacies to collect the samples.  Quest confirmed the test appointment on Aug 5 and indicated a next day result or by 48 hrs.  We thought we were set.  We checked with the Walmart pharmacy this morning and was informed that they have stopped collecting samples for Quest and will not resume until Sept 7.  We have checked for other testing sites within 50 miles of Ocala Fl and can not find any to meet the 72 hr requirement.  Are others having difficulty in completing the PCR test requirements?  Would welcome any suggestions on how to get the test.  Joni

4 minutes ago, Holiday Dreamer said:

We also are booked on the Edge for Sept 4.  Our dilemma is:  We had an appointment scheduled for the PCR test for Sept 1 with Quest Diagnostics which uses Walmart pharmacies to collect the samples.  Quest confirmed the test appointment on Aug 5 and indicated a next day result or by 48 hrs.  We thought we were set.  We checked with the Walmart pharmacy this morning and was informed that they have stopped collecting samples for Quest and will not resume until Sept 7.  We have checked for other testing sites within 50 miles of Ocala Fl and can not find any to meet the 72 hr requirement.  Are others having difficulty in completing the PCR test requirements?  Would welcome any suggestions on how to get the test.  Joni

Why a PCR test?

• Like 1

Per Celebrity:  All guests two years of age and older, regardless of vaccination status, will now be required to present a negative COVID-19 test result at the time of embarkation. This test may be taken as either a PCR test or an Antigen test, conducted within three days of embarkation.  Joni

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Holiday Dreamer said:

I had a PCR test at Walgreens and received the results in 48 hours.  I think that was because my test was at 4 PM on a Friday, though; normally I've heard they're faster.

My neighbor also had a PCR test at a local urgent care.