"Rapid PCR test" - accepted or not?

phoenix_dream

I am so confused.  I have read various comments on these boards saying no, it is not accepted; and others saying yes now it is.  Can someone who knows what they are talking about clue me in?

My preference is a rapid antigen test.  I currently have one booked at CVS for 3 days before my cruise, but want a back-up plan in case CVS cancels last minute which according to these boards is happening more often.  I can't seem to find one in my area and tests in my port of embarkation (Seattle) are hard to find as well and I won't have a car.  I can find a regular PCR test, but don't trust the turn-around times, especially with the virus spiking.  Some places advertise a "rapid PCR" test.  Is that acceptable?  Is there a specific question I need to ask to be sure?  (although some of the clerical staff I have spoken with give me answers like,  "I think the test is......".  I can't go with "I think"! ) 

So frustrating.  Most of the regular clinics (like mine) and even immediate care clinics around here require you to be presenting with symptoms.  I don't want to fake symptoms to get a test.  I could book a test for a fee but it is insane to have to pay a couple hundred dollars for what should still be free.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and sorry to start another testing thread.

• Like 1

I am not an expert but I don't think there is a classification of a "Rapid PCR Test". I think what you are seeing are companies advertising a quick turn around for a PCR Test but most PCR Tests are sent to a lab for processing.  Celebrity now also accepts an at home test that is taken under the supervision of a tele health professional.  There is a long thread on this on these boards and the new information is spelled out on Celebrity's web site. Here's a link to the CC thread:

BinaxNow Covid-19 Ag test card review and info - Celebrity Cruises - Cruise Critic Community

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

I am so confused.  I have read various comments on these boards saying no, it is not accepted; and others saying yes now it is.  Can someone who knows what they are talking about clue me in?

My preference is a rapid antigen test.  I currently have one booked at CVS for 3 days before my cruise, but want a back-up plan in case CVS cancels last minute which according to these boards is happening more often.  I can't seem to find one in my area and tests in my port of embarkation (Seattle) are hard to find as well and I won't have a car.  I can find a regular PCR test, but don't trust the turn-around times, especially with the virus spiking.  Some places advertise a "rapid PCR" test.  Is that acceptable?  Is there a specific question I need to ask to be sure?  (although some of the clerical staff I have spoken with give me answers like,  "I think the test is......".  I can't go with "I think"! ) 

So frustrating.  Most of the regular clinics (like mine) and even immediate care clinics around here require you to be presenting with symptoms.  I don't want to fake symptoms to get a test.  I could book a test for a fee but it is insane to have to pay a couple hundred dollars for what should still be free.

Thanks in advance for any guidance and sorry to start another testing thread.

People seem to have known what they are talking about, Covid/Delta keeps forcing the rules to change.  Look for some posts from TeeRick re this subject he is also sailing from Seattle in September.  Why do you think the tests should be free?

3 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

People seem to have known what they are talking about, Covid/Delta keeps forcing the rules to change.  Look for some posts from TeeRick re this subject he is also sailing from Seattle in September.  Why do you think the tests should be free?

The only reason I think the tests should be free is that right now the government is willing to pay for people to be tested.  As long as that is the case, I would like to find a place where I don't need to pay since they are out there.  Some places just don't want to bother submitting insurance.  This is not a pro or con statement about socialized type medicine.  I am just reacting to the current situation as it is now.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, phoenix_dream said:

The only reason I think the tests should be free is that right now the government is willing to pay for people to be tested.  As long as that is the case, I would like to find a place where I don't need to pay since they are out there.  Some places just don't want to bother submitting insurance.  This is not a pro or con statement about socialized type medicine.  I am just reacting to the current situation as it is now.

In my area they are free or covered by insurance if the test is medically advised by a Dr.  otherwise it is a personal expense but if you have a HSA you can use it to pay for the test.

45 minutes ago, LGW59 said:

how about because most Covid tests are done to prevent the spread of Covid - either in identification of symptoms or used prior or after social settings. At the end of the day that is what the goal of travel tests are for. So you don’t bring it with you onto a plane, onto a cruise ship, or into another country. It’s in the best interests of everyone that testing be free or affordable. A private company seeing a chance to profit and charge $200 and refusing insurance (as one place I checked does) is people taking advantage of a pandemic. Along the same lines as people selling hand sanitizer on Amazon for outrageous prices in early 2020.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 5

Celebrity's most current information is MUCH clearer than before! But it can still be confusing.

With the latest change, the simplest test is probably the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test via telehealth. You'll pay for it, but you may pay more for cab fare or UBER in Seattle than the test. And that is a rapid antigen test.

Any NAAT is now accepted. So any PCR is fine, and the Abbott IDNow NAAT from Walgreens meets all these requirements. You will likely pay for a "rapid" PCR for travel, so be aware of that. There are point of care PCR systems that can process specimens in an hour or so. They're used clinically in emergency departments and for some pre-admissions screenings. Speed and simplicity (consumables) make those tests more expensive. MOST of the PCR testing is batching specimens at at central lab.

I've pasted in Celebrity's most current information which I'm sure you've read. Molecular test looks for viral RNA. High level category. NAAT = Nucleic Acid Amplification Test, also a master category that includes PCR but isn't actually synonymous with PCR as you could assume from Celebrity's FAQ. It does include a test like the Abbott IDNow NAAT offered by Walgreens and probably others; that was not clear until the latest update. PCR = Polymerase Chain Reaction. Can be for an individual or small number of specimens ("rapid") or performed at scale.

From Celebrity. Bolds are mine. This should be simple to understand, but terminology has been unnecessarily inconsistent. And that just confuses people, also unnecessarily! 

If your sailing requires a pre-cruise test, here are some details about the kind of test you’ll need.

Accepted Types of Tests and Results

• There are two common types of diagnostic COVID-19 tests and we accept either one: 
    • A molecular test, also called a PCR test or NAAT test
    • An antigen test, also called a rapid antigen test
  • The test must be supervised by a health professional, such as a doctor, pharmacy technician, public health worker, or telehealth representative.
  • You must receive a valid results document from your test provider that includes provider name, your name, the date the test was taken, type of test, and your negative result. This can be a printed document, email, or telehealth app notification. Handwritten doctor’s notes will not be accepted.
  • Telehealth testing at home is only accepted when it meets certain guidelines. See below.

Tests We Do Not Accept

• Antibody tests are not accepted, as they do not detect a current infection.
  • Home test kits that are self-administered at home, and not supervised live by a telehealth professional, are also not accepted.

More on Telehealth Testing

Telehealth self-tests taken at home under supervision must meet these requirements:

• The test must have Emergency Use Authorization from the U.S. FDA.
  • The self-test process must happen under live supervision on a video call with a telehealth representative.
  • The telehealth provider must issue you a result document that includes all the necessary information.
  • Two tests that meet these parameters are the Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test available through the Abbott Navica app, or the eMed Covid-19 Test with Video Observation Services.

More on Abbott Brand Tests

Abbott tests have become a popular and commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s acceptable.

• Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. They must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
  • The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision.
  •  The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, which is taken at home and not supervised by a medical professional, is NOT accepted.

Where and When to Get Your Test

Most local pharmacy chains offer COVID-19 Testing and most county or state websites can help you find a local public testing site. You can also go to a doctor’s office, diagnostic lab, or telehealth provider to get your test.

Some additional things to keep in mind when scheduling your test:

• For sailings that require a pre-cruise test, you will be asked to take the test no more than three days before your sail date. How to calculate “three days before”: The day you set sail is not included as one of the days. So for example, if you are setting sail on a Saturday, you can take your test on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday before. 
  • Make sure that your selected test provider can provide you a valid results document in time for your travel. 

Providing Your Results On Departure Day

You will present your negative test result at the terminal upon boarding. Print out your results for easy access, as you may need to present it at various points. We will also accept a valid results document presented on your phone.

If you receive a positive test result on your pre-cruise test, please call us at 1-844-418-6824 in North America or (316) 554-5961 worldwide so we may assist with rescheduling your cruise vacation plans.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, sanger727 said:

how about because most Covid tests are done to prevent the spread of Covid - either in identification of symptoms or used prior or after social settings. At the end of the day that is what the goal of travel tests are for. So you don’t bring it with you onto a plane, onto a cruise ship, or into another country. It’s in the best interests of everyone that testing be free or affordable. A private company seeing a chance to profit and charge $200 and refusing insurance (as one place I checked does) is people taking advantage of a pandemic. Along the same lines as people selling hand sanitizer on Amazon for outrageous prices in early 2020.

Indeed they are very important.  Though if going on a personal vacation on cruise ship, flying to a resort or just flying to visit family, just don’t feel my test should be free, I’m happy to pay for it myself.  I’d much rather see the free tests for folks who need it.  First world problems 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Indeed they are very important.  Though if going on a personal vacation on cruise ship, flying to a resort or just flying to visit family, just don’t feel my test should be free, I’m happy to pay for it myself.  I’d much rather see the free tests for folks who need it.  First world problems 

First, none of the tests are ‘free’. Just like none of the vaccines are ‘free’. Walgreens is not a charitable organization. The tests are just no cost to you because insurance or government grants pay for them. I don’t mind a voluntary test being charged a reasonable fee. But $200 a test isn’t reasonable. For a family of 4 who wants to visit grandma for Christmas and not risk killing her with Covid it would be $800. That’s not reasonable. That’s American companies taking advantage of a pandemic to make a large profit.

we are taking a trip next month where we need to Covid tests in the US, Ecuador, and Peru. The tests in Ecuador and peru are in the $30-$40 range. I’ve also read reports from Canadians that their tests are also around $30-$40. I do think this is a situation where there should be a price cap on the tests in the US.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

First, none of the tests are ‘free’. Just like none of the vaccines are ‘free’. Walgreens is not a charitable organization. The tests are just no cost to you because insurance or government grants pay for them. I don’t mind a voluntary test being charged a reasonable fee. But $200 a test isn’t reasonable. For a family of 4 who wants to visit grandma for Christmas and not risk killing her with Covid it would be $800. That’s not reasonable. That’s American companies taking advantage of a pandemic to make a large profit.

we are taking a trip next month where we need to Covid tests in the US, Ecuador, and Peru. The tests in Ecuador and peru are in the $30-$40 range. I’ve also read reports from Canadians that their tests are also around $30-$40. I do think this is a situation where there should be a price cap on the tests in the US.

Canada is no longer providing free tests for folks looking to do international travel, even if they want to visit grandma.  Cost of those tests range from $150-300.  Pay up

15 hours ago, LGW59 said:

LGW this is just an added cost of travel (and safety) now.  I agree with you.  I will gladly pay for a test.  Not sure why that is such a big deal.  Pay thousands for cruise price and airfare and hotels.  But balk about an extra $99 test to make it all possible?

• Like 5

I would think  that if you answer the questions on the CVS sites most of not all would qualify for free / insurance coverage.     I checked the fist block -   Are you seeking a test to prevent possible spread of Covid-19 for future travel, work or recreation.     That is what I chose and it scheduled me for a free test.    For me there are no Rapid Tests available within 50 miles so as a back up I booked an appointment for a paid rapid test if my results don't get back in time. 

Without telling a fib I would think we could all answer that we may have been withing 6 foot of another person at some point in the past week --- whether passing someone in the supermarket  aisle or picking up my daily Starbuck.

image.png.c8c92ec8cccbf87973e18ee495c52c92.png

• Like 3

Realizing each State/region has differing restrictions/requirements on who can get tested, and the pricing, but we got our standard tests at the local pharmacy for no cost - to us - and results back via email in 2 days. And if we wanted quick tests results, the cost was $88/shot.

If you are going to cruise during this Pandemic, you are going to run into extra restrictions and costs. What else would you expect? 

Markeb has provided what is germaine in the OP’s question. And TeeRick is right on the pricing perspective which isn’t an issue for those who want special tests. And Jim_lain is right - most of us have been somewhere where social distancing wasn’t possible. 

Welcome to traveling during a Pandemic.

den

What is the point of testing? You can be exposed, test negative, and still transmit. That’s pretty well documented.

Are there any statistics as far as how many people are being kept off ships due to a positive test?

These tests might be “free”, but there’s a cost. The government or insurance or someone is paying for them. All of these travel related tests may be preventing or delaying tests with actual medical reasons from being performed. Never mind the cost in time/stress/whatever for the person being tested.

8 hours ago, LGW59 said:

Canada is no longer providing free tests for folks looking to do international travel, even if they want to visit grandma.  Cost of those tests range from $150-300.  Pay up

Ok. Really?? You are in favor of a test the prevent spread a global pandemic at $300 a test? Ok. I really don’t think that is necessary. If the average person can’t pay for a test they won’t get one. There’s nothing wrong with advocating for affordable health care. I have no issues paying whatever my health insurer pays for tests. Pretty sure that’s not $200-$300

14 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Ok. Really?? You are in favor of a test the prevent spread a global pandemic at $300 a test? Ok. I really don’t think that is necessary. If the average person can’t pay for a test they won’t get one. There’s nothing wrong with advocating for affordable health care. I have no issues paying whatever my health insurer pays for tests. Pretty sure that’s not $200-$300

International travel is certainly not necessary.  Testing is great and so is travel.  We decided not to pay for a diagnostic test to go to Canada or the second one to allow us to fly home.  Our choice and neither would have been covered by our PPO insurance.

They did pay for testing when a neighbor who had visit our home tested positive.  Different situation.

We will be cruising out of Tampa later this year.

We will be arriving to Tampa on a Sunday and embarking on Monday.

We will be making plans and backup plans to test before we leave.

It would be great to know if there is a place, even if I have to pay, to test and get quick results in case we do not get our results in time.

Any suggestions ?

36 minutes ago, Arizona Wildcat said:

International travel is certainly not necessary.  Testing is great and so is travel.  We decided not to pay for a diagnostic test to go to Canada or the second one to allow us to fly home.  Our choice and neither would have been covered by our PPO insurance.

They did pay for testing when a neighbor who had visit our home tested positive.  Different situation.

people who are testing for travel are also testing so they can visit grandma in another state. My husbands father died mid pandemic. He died the day after he was admitted to hospice where he wasn’t allow any visitors. He was relatively stable when he went in. I do believe, as does he, that when he was no longer surrounded by family that he gave up. 

There’s no differentiation in terms of what is covered; whether it’s flying off to the Bahamas or to visit grandma on her deathbed. No. I don’t think that any Covid test for any reason needs to cost $200-$300. That is  corporate greed. 

look, if you all want to pay $300 pp for a Covid test, I’m not going to stand in your way. I have insurance and I’m not a Bernie Sanders person. But I still recognize that the American health care system is fundamentally broken. And the fact that businesses can get away with ripping people off on Covid tests is simply a symptom of that.

as far as I can tell, Walgreens will give me a free test since I’m trying to prevent the spread of Covid, and until businesses are willing to charge American consumers a reasonable price for Covid tests; I’ll take the free one. You guys enjoy your $300 tests.

Edited by sanger727

7 hours ago, TeeRick said:

LGW this is just an added cost of travel (and safety) now.  I agree with you.  I will gladly pay for a test.  Not sure why that is such a big deal.  Pay thousands for cruise price and airfare and hotels.  But balk about an extra $99 test to make it all possible?

i don’t actually mind any extra $99 for a Covid test. An extra $200-$300 for a test that has no additional value? Yeah, I do mind that. I don’t routinely pay 2-4 what something is actually worth. Even if I have the money to pay for it; yes, I do mind. 

in my mind there’s no difference between this and talking about asking for a price drop on a cruise. Obviously, if I know I’m going on a cruise I’m going to pay for it. But if the cruise price reduces by 50% prior to final payment, why would I pay full price? If my insurance can pay for a Covid test for me for $50-$75; while should I have to pay $200-$300 for that test? Health care companies typically get insurance  rates and can maintain profitability based on that. But they choose to rip me off because they think they can. That isn’t right in normal times. Certainly not during a pandemic.

Edited by sanger727

4 hours ago, sanger727 said:

i don’t actually mind any extra $99 for a Covid test. An extra $200-$300 for a test that has no additional value? Yeah, I do mind that. I don’t routinely pay 2-4 what something is actually worth. Even if I have the money to pay for it; yes, I do mind. 

in my mind there’s no difference between this and talking about asking for a price drop on a cruise. Obviously, if I know I’m going on a cruise I’m going to pay for it. But if the cruise price reduces by 50% prior to final payment, why would I pay full price? If my insurance can pay for a Covid test for me for $50-$75; while should I have to pay $200-$300 for that test? Health care companies typically get insurance  rates and can maintain profitability based on that. But they choose to rip me off because they think they can. That isn’t right in normal times. Certainly not during a pandemic.

The BionaxNow at home ag card test is a rapid antigen test accepted by cruise lines and airlines. It is done at home BUT with telehealth supervision.

It is avaible for $150 for a package of 6 kits. Great for the whole family, sold only at emed.com

Go to emed.co. for all of the details, instructions etc.

For couples, they can buy a package of 2 kits for $70, or a package of 3 kits for $100. These kits are sold by optum.com

Do  a search on this board for BionaxNow, there are a lot of very detail instructions, actual users experience.

So all in all, it's around $25 ish per kit.

Hope this helps.

On 8/27/2021 at 4:59 PM, phoenix_dream said:

The government pays for symptomatic testing, not for work travel, and for sure not for pleasure travel. 

My husband travels to places that regularly require a Covid test. It costs us every time. 

In the USA we are all conditioned now to have all costs of the pandemic covered by the federal, state and local governments.  Testing, vaccines, etc.  This cannot and will not last forever.  The virus will be with us for years to come.  Maybe decades.  Our health care system is the same as it was prepandemic.  Mixture of private insurance companies all inconsistent in their benefits.  And in some states government programs.  And Medicare.  And Obamacare. And no insurance at all too.  Some insurance companies are already not paying out for Covid if you are unvaccinated. So it will be transitioned to a routine disease shortly as we go forward.  Treated like everything else.  If a cruise line requires a yellow fever vaccine or some type of test for my vacation destination then I pay for it.  No matter the cost.  Hopefully reasonable.  But it is my choice to go or not.  Pay or not. Maybe non-USA countries are different but that is our system.

• Like 1

ok, sorry folks that this has turned into a passionate discussion as to whether we should pay for our testing or not, and how much.  But please - back to the original question of this post;   there are free (defined as no cost to me) tests available and I would like to be able to take one that is acceptable to Celebrity.  I want to make sure I understand which one is.

I currently have two tests tentatively scheduled - the ID Now test at Walgreens and the Rapid Antigen test at CVS.  I scheduled both because I was hearing talk on these boards of CVS cancelling tests last minute so I thought I should have a back-up plan until I know for sure.  I want to be 100% sure both are accepted before I cancel the other.

So to confirm - both of these tests are accepted by Celebrity if I understand correctly.  Please correct me ASAP if I am not right.  I'd call Celebrity but don't trust their Customer Service to answer correctly.  

Also - if anyone has done the Walgreens test - how quickly do they give you your results?  thank you!!!