Beer package for 18 year old?

Debating whether or not to bring our son who's going to be 18 before our next cruise.  He's inquiring about drinking on the ship.  I do recall seeing that 18 year olds can drink beer and wine on board.  My question is, are there packages for the 18-20 year olds or do they have to buy a la carte?  I know as the parent, I need to sign something, which is no big deal but just looking to make it financially worth it if possible...Yes, we never cruise without the Unlimited Drink Package, but don't want to cheat it and give him beer without paying...

3 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I do recall seeing that 18 year olds can drink beer and wine on board. 

Only if you sail in a market that allows it - not out of the US (where it's 21).

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

Debating whether or not to bring our son who's going to be 18 before our next cruise.  He's inquiring about drinking on the ship.  I do recall seeing that 18 year olds can drink beer and wine on board.  My question is, are there packages for the 18-20 year olds or do they have to buy a la carte?  I know as the parent, I need to sign something, which is no big deal but just looking to make it financially worth it if possible...Yes, we never cruise without the Unlimited Drink Package, but don't want to cheat it and give him beer without paying...

If you are sailing out of the US, the legal drinking age is 21. The cruise line follows the legal drinking age of the debarkation port.

• Like 1

There is no beer and wine package for 18 to 20 year old. You do not have to sign anything as he at 18 is legally an adult. He can purchases the same UDP on cruise's that sail from country's that recognised a 18 year old as a adult. 

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/aus/en/faq/questions/legal-drinking-age-onboard-policy?country=AUS

Edited by Hogbay
Ad link

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

Think I recall NCL having this policy a few years ago (beer/wine only for 18+).  Not sure if they still do.  You might want to check out the NCL message boards and ask over there. 

The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

• Like 1

I remember on our first cruise seeing parents buying buckets of beer then giving them to their kids.  It is totally your choice and your kid but these kids were hammered by lunch.  It was not a pretty sight but of course their parents were nowhere to be found by them.  I respectfully ask don’t be THAT parent🙏

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

If you are sailing out of the US, the legal drinking age is 21. The cruise line follows the legal drinking age of the debarkation port.

For RCI, the drinking age for all cruises originating in North American is 21. So even though the drinking age is (supposedly) 18 in Puerto Rico, the age on board RCI ships originating in San Juan is 21. 

Also note that the whole concept of a drinking age is laughable in most Caribbean ports. Other than in private RCI resorts, anyone as tall as a cartoon frog will have little trouble buying beer. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, poocher said:

I remember on our first cruise seeing parents buying buckets of beer then giving them to their kids.  It is totally your choice and your kid but these kids were hammered by lunch.  It was not a pretty sight but of course their parents were nowhere to be found by them.  I respectfully ask don’t be THAT parent🙏

And if they are caught doing that they can be fined or even put off the ship at the next port. Not worth it IMO. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, footzz said:

Fined? I've never heard of that. Who can be fined and by whom?

The only time I've heard of being fined onboard is when you violate the smoking policy.

I'll just assume it was added to their SeaPass account.

Disclaimer.....We are an extended family of NON-smokers. Only adding what I've read.

Many years ago RCI did have a waiver parents could sign that would allow their young adults to drink...that went away a long time ago.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, YankeesFan4Life said:

I know as the parent, I need to sign something

This is nonsensical.  If he's 18, whether they permit him to do something or not (and they do when it's legal and do not where it isn't), it has NOTHING to do with you.

Why would someone think an 18 year old and therefore legal adult would need someone's permission to have something happen?

3 hours ago, footzz said:

Fined? I've never heard of that. Who can be fined and by whom?

Don't know about being fined, but I seem to remember, several years ago, a part of a family being put off at the next port because of the teenagers not adhering to the rules about drinking. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

19 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

This is nonsensical.  If he's 18, whether they permit him to do something or not (and they do when it's legal and do not where it isn't), it has NOTHING to do with you.

Why would someone think an 18 year old and therefore legal adult would need someone's permission to have something happen?

NCL does it for cruises out of the US once you're out of US water. Basically they want the parent there to be responsible for the under 21. 

Kind of like how a lot of cruise lines won't let someone 18-20 sail by themselves. You have to either be over 21 or sail with someone older (some cruise lines just say 21+ some say 25+).

15 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Don't know about being fined, but I seem to remember, several years ago, a part of a family being put off at the next port because of the teenagers not adhering to the rules about drinking. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

You are not wrong. There are several potential consequences for failure to act in accordance with the RCL Guest Conduct Policy regarding alcohol, but a assessing fine isn't one of them.

Edited by footzz

12 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

NCL does it for cruises out of the US once you're out of US water. Basically they want the parent there to be responsible for the under 21. 

Kind of like how a lot of cruise lines won't let someone 18-20 sail by themselves. You have to either be over 21 or sail with someone older (some cruise lines just say 21+ some say 25+).

The latter makes sense. Lots of hotels won't allow under a certain age.  The absurdity is the first part.  A parent has ZERO legal authority over an 18 year old.  If it's a simple CYA tactic by the cruise line, then it's one that's absolutely meaningless.

4 hours ago, zekekelso said:

For RCI, the drinking age for all cruises originating in North American is 21. So even though the drinking age is (supposedly) 18 in Puerto Rico, the age on board RCI ships originating in San Juan is 21. 

I was wondering about the cruises originating out of the Caribbean--if they followed North American rules or not. We had heard that Puerto Rico in particular was 18 on board but I wasn't so sure. Barbados is drinking age of 16 so RCCL should add Caribbean to the lists of age limits since they are going to be operating more cruises originating there.

11 minutes ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

The latter makes sense. Lots of hotels won't allow under a certain age.  The absurdity is the first part.  A parent has ZERO legal authority over an 18 year old.  If it's a simple CYA tactic by the cruise line, then it's one that's absolutely meaningless.

I'm not up to date on all the ins and outs of laws in international waters. I also bet NCL figures that the parent will assert some control over their kids if the parent is on the hook for any screw ups the kids do. Most those age aren't paying for the cruise themselves, it's likely not their money paying for the onboard account, etc etc. And maybe keep the kids in line knowing that security will be hunting down mom or dad if they get in trouble. They only allow a parent to sign for the kid and yes they ask for proof - they usually accept same last names but if not I've heard of them requesting the birth certificate of the 18-20 year old. 

It may be meaningless once they get back to the US - but the captain is in control of the ship so they definitely can enforce things. 

Edited by smplybcause

4 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

I was wondering about the cruises originating out of the Caribbean--if they followed North American rules or not. We had heard that Puerto Rico in particular was 18 on board but I wasn't so sure. Barbados is drinking age of 16 so RCCL should add Caribbean to the lists of age limits since they are going to be operating more cruises originating there.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/international-age-policy#:~:text=The minimum age to consume,Zealand is eighteen (18).

Specifies 21 for North American and the Caribbean. So PR and Barbados are 21. 

And also says that even if the cruise originates from Europe it's only 21+ on private islands. That would suck - take a TA and you can drink the whole cruise except Coco Cay. 

22 minutes ago, smplybcause said:

I'm not up to date on all the ins and outs of laws in international waters. I also bet NCL figures that the parent will assert some control over their kids if the parent is on the hook for any screw ups the kids do. Most those age aren't paying for the cruise themselves, it's likely not their money paying for the onboard account, etc etc. And maybe keep the kids in line knowing that security will be hunting down mom or dad if they get in trouble. They only allow a parent to sign for the kid and yes they ask for proof - they usually accept same last names but if not I've heard of them requesting the birth certificate of the 18-20 year old. 

It may be meaningless once they get back to the US - but the captain is in control of the ship so they definitely can enforce things. 

Just to be clear, I'm in no way lobbying to let a bunch of 18 year olds drink on my next cruise.  All I'm saying is that telling a legal adult that they can only do something if another legal adult says they can is kinda sketchy at best.

1 minute ago, leisuretraveler223 said:

Just to be clear, I'm in no way lobbying to let a bunch of 18 year olds drink on my next cruise.  All I'm saying is that telling a legal adult that they can only do something if another legal adult says they can is kinda sketchy at best.

It's more like a legal adult is taking responsibility and punishment too if the legal adult the signed responsibility for screws up. I don't know what the exact document says - but I would venture it probably says something about how the parent could be kicked off with their child if they screw up while drinking. Maybe something in there about cutting off everyone's access to alcohol if the kid screws up.

I KNOW they will at the very least suspend your own alcohol privileges if they catch you giving alcohol to people under age - including giving liquor to 18-20s even if you signed the beer & wine waiver. They could kick you off for violating the cruise contract. 

You're just thinking how that would work on land, not on a cruise ship where in a lot of ways their rules are laws. They could boot you off the ship for practically anything. And if you sign a piece of paper saying "I'm responsible for whatever X does" they can boot you right along with X.