Awful Quiet on Reports of Covid on ships?

glentally

11 minutes ago, glentally said:

Seems odd the most news sources thrive on reporting Covid and you don't hear anything about problems on ships that are currently sailing.

Is it under control? If it is under control why the masks?  Nothing makes sense anymore.

Yes, it makes sense.

Changing the window for pre boarding testing from three to two days has allowed the cruise line to weed out more positive passengers.

Masks also help stop the transmission of the disease between passengers (even vaccinated ones).

• Like 8

Fortunately there haven't been any outbreaks large enough for the news to focus on (other than that one carnival ship with several crew members with covid).

Covid will get onto a ship and may have a positive case or two pop up per ship That shows the current protocols are working.  

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

Changing the window for pre boarding testing from three to two days has allowed the cruise line to weed out more positive passengers.

The CDC change will do nothing to weed out more positive passengers, especially since the 2-day is only for vaccinated people.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

Multiple tests and a high percentage of vaccinations is why there have been no issues on ships.

Certainly not due to masks

Thanks Smoky, That is what I thought.  If you don't have it how do you spread it?

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, crusinthrough said:

Maybe nothing to report and under control because of mask wearing.  Where is the confusion?

Because the majority of time on a masked ship people aren't wearing masks. And the most common time to wear mask (transit from point A to point B) isn't how covid spreads.

Also what can't be undervalued enough is the quality ventilation systems on ships. That may well be the #1 reason there hasn't been any onboard spread

Edited by smokeybandit
  • Like 2

Just now, smokeybandit said:

The CDC change will do nothing to weed out more positive passengers, especially since the 2-day is only for vaccinated people.

Exactly. The change has allowed the cruiseline to weed out VACCINATED passengers that have contracted a breakthrough information and are positive upon testing but not yet showing symptoms.

Somewhere, there was a statement made by a Royal Caribbean that after two weeks of the change from three to two days, there was an average of ten more vaccinated passengers testing positive at two days over tested at three days.

No, I am not searching for that data. It is out there for you just as it is for me.

2 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Exactly. The change has allowed the cruiseline to weed out VACCINATED passengers that have contracted a breakthrough information and are positive upon testing but not yet showing symptoms.

Somewhere, there was a statement made by a Royal Caribbean that after two weeks of the change from three to two days, there was an average of ten more vaccinated passengers testing positive at two days over tested at three days.

No, I am not searching for that data. It is out there for you just as it is for me.

RIght, no need to search for it since it doesn't exist. The 2-day testing window only begins tomorrow.

• Like 5
  • Haha 7

I have the same question…why little or no information regarding Covid onboard cruise lines? By ‘digging’ online I found out that not only have people contacted it but a few have been hospitalized at various ports and a few have even died from it! Still…it’s being kept quiet. Checkout ‘Cruise Law News’ and You Tube ‘Cruise News-Huge Outbreak on Cruise Ship’. I read that cruise lines are not required to report these numbers but how then can people make informed decisions about the safety of cruising? 

Anyone know if Royal is still flying people home for those few that do test positive (at least in near future)?  I heard of a few scenarios initially but not sure they are continuing to do so.

I agree with the above...the combo of 2 day pre-testing will help, 12+ must be vaccinated (and under 12 tested at the port), and masks indoors all help.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

I have the same question…why little or no information regarding Covid onboard cruise lines? By ‘digging’ online I found out that not only have people contacted it but a few have been hospitalized at various ports and a few have even died from it! Still…it’s being kept quiet. Checkout ‘Cruise Law News’ and You Tube ‘Cruise News-Huge Outbreak on Cruise Ship’. I read that cruise lines are not required to report these numbers but how then can people make informed decisions about the safety of cruising? 

Because people need to take personal responsibility for their health and make their own informed decisions. The CDC has recommended that anyone in a high risk for a bad outcome from Covid, like certain age groups, people with diabetes, breathing issues, obesity…vaccinated or not vaccinated should not cruise but lots of those people are ignoring that recommendation so they accept the risk of not only contracting Covid on a ship but having a bad outcome. The information is out there.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

The sources you have cited are incredibly biased, and do not fortify your credibility on this discussion 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

30 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

The policy isn’t even in effect yet, you had to have just made this data up on the spot!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Just off Oasis Sept. 5th sail and when we left it had  a green designation by the CDC.  At end it it became Yellow with the following description "CDC has started an investigation" . Oasis was 100% vaxxed except for children.

Edited by nelblu
  • Thanks 1

Just now, nelblu said:

Just off Oasis Sept. sail, and when we let it was  a green designation by the CDC.  At end it it became Yellow with the following description "CDC has started an investigation" . Oasis was 100% vaxxed except for children.

Don’t put a whole lot of credence in the CDC color designations; they are arbitrary and nearly impossible to decipher. 

• Like 2

Don, the cruise vlogger from Canada, did post a video yesterday about the large outbreak on the MSC Virtuoso in the UK.  Due to that outbreak they have updated their safety protocols.  Apparently they had relaxed things such as requiring passengers to be vaccinated, masking while indoors, and social distancing.  That relaxing of guidelines is causing Covid outbreaks.  So, MSC has reinstated the stricter protocols.    

eta:  I think Royal is trying to do everything right.  They are currently sailing at reduced capacity, wanting the passengers vaccinated, still requiring masking and social distancing, and requiring testing prior to boarding.

Edited by jk04
  • Like 3

24 minutes ago, LuCruise said:

I agree with the above...the combo of 2 day pre-testing will help, 12+ must be vaccinated (and under 12 tested at the port), and masks indoors all help.

Under 12 are NOT tested at the port.  There was a policy change and it is effective tomorrow.  I am enclosing it so the info you have given can be corrected.  It is taken from the RC website.

Required Pre-Cruise Testing for Cruises Departing September 13, 2021 or Later

Guests departing on or after September 13, 2021 will need to meet the new requirements recently issued by the U.S. CDC.

Vaccinated guests age 12 and older must show a negative COVID-19 test result for a PCR or antigen test taken no more than 2 days before boarding.

Unvaccinated kids age 2 to 11 must show a negative test result for a PCR test taken no more than 3 daysbefore boarding. Antigen tests will not be accepted.

Guests under 2 years of age will not be tested.

The cost of pre-cruise testing is the guest’s responsibility.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

Can you post a link for the "few have even died from it"?  I'm not disputing there were cases in the first few sailings but protocols were adjusted to prevent future cases.  I just don't remember reading about a few people who died.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Don’t put a whole lot of credence in the CDC color designations; they are arbitrary and nearly impossible to decipher. 

The purpose of my comment was that the change was done either from medical  information provided by RCL to the CDC or from (suspicion) CDC personnel on board.

31 minutes ago, BarbaraB2 said:

The CDC updates their cruise line statistics weekly and cruise lines are required to immediately report any cases for each and every sailing, and to date (since the pandemic was first identified in 2020) fewer than 100 people have died from Covid contracted on a cruise ship. Citing an ambulance chaser is probably not the best choice to source facts.

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, nelblu said:

Just off Oasis Sept. 5th sail and when we left it had  a green designation by the CDC.  At end it it became Yellow with the following description "CDC has started an investigation" . Oasis was 100% vaxxed except for children.

It can turn yellow if the cruise line doesn't report its data within the window mandated by the CDC.