Awful Quiet on Reports of Covid on ships?

glentally

Cruise Law News reported that 5 passengers tested positive for COVID on Jewel of the Seas, which is sailing a Greek Island cruise.  They moved the passengers to an isolation area and disembarked them in Cyprus.  

The lawyer who writes this blog is looking for more infection information.  

On 9/12/2021 at 9:29 AM, glentally said:

Seems odd the most news sources thrive on reporting Covid and you don't hear anything about problems on ships that are currently sailing.

Is it under control? If it is under control why the masks?  Nothing makes sense anymore.

As of late there havent been cases to report.

Edited by awhcruiser

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2021 at 7:30 PM, awhcruiser said:

As of late there havent been cases to report.

There will always be cases. It's just people have quit getting nuts every time there is a case.

Last week oasis theater performers were all in quarantine. MSC was called a death ship with their outbreak. Jewel over in cyprus had cases. 

Oasis promised this cruise by the end of the week they would try and have the shows back open. Jewel posters mentioned 10 days quarantine in Cyprus. .. of course there will be cases here and there. It's time to quit acting like it's the end of the world and getting lawyers involved every positive case. 

Watch some bloggers for the msc break out. Covid isnt gone.

I saw pictures of a ship returning to Southampton on social media, and in the middle of a row of flags, there was a bright yellow square which I thought meant quarantine?

I've wondered since whether the ship was reporting cases on board, or if it's just usual during the pandemic. I've not read about any cases on that ship.

39 minutes ago, jocap said:

I saw pictures of a ship returning to Southampton on social media, and in the middle of a row of flags, there was a bright yellow square which I thought meant quarantine?

I've wondered since whether the ship was reporting cases on board, or if it's just usual during the pandemic. I've not read about any cases on that ship.

The 'Quebec' signal flag these days means 'I am free from contagious disease'.

See a short summary on Wikipedia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pratique

• Thanks 1

On 10/5/2021 at 8:59 AM, happy cruzer said:

Cases on Bermuda cruises.

That is quite a thread.  Amazing that I haven't seen anything about 5 asymptomatic cases on a cruise of less than 200 passengers and disembarkation of 13 passengers and their cabin mates for isolation in Bermuda due to being identified as having been in close contact (15 minutes in a 24 hour period) with at least one of the 5 positive cases.  Luckily the ship was staying overnight in Bermuda and after retesting most were allowed back on. See post #325 from one of the disembarked passengers (one was a close contact and the other was not).

Involuntary disembarkation and mandatory isolation in a the foreign port is what worries me the most.

Edited by capriccio

On 10/5/2021 at 1:50 PM, jocap said:

The yellow flag "Q" is one of the International Signal Flag. When used as a single flag hoist it means the Master reports the ship is healthy and requests "Free Pratique" from the local health authorities.

Once the local authorities board the ship and grant clearance, the "Q" flag is lowered.

The other flags were probably:

• Cruise line "House" flag
  • International Signal Flag "H" (red/white) - means I have a pilot onboard
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

The yellow flag "Q" is one of the International Signal Flag. When used as a single flag hoist it means the Master reports the ship is healthy and requests "Free Pratique" from the local health authorities.

Once the local authorities board the ship and grant clearance, the "Q" flag is lowered.

The other flags were probably:

• Cruise line "House" flag
  • International Signal Flag "H" (red/white) - means I have a pilot onboard

Let us hope that the signal flag for a healthy ship keeps being seen.

• Like 2

There has also been some positive tests on the Seabourn Ovation while cruising the Greek Islands.  More then a dozen passengers were disembarked on the island of Rhodes and put into hotel quarantine which apparently will last about 10 days.  The ship has continued on its scheduled itinerary.

Hank

• Thanks 1

On 10/6/2021 at 1:19 PM, capriccio said:

...Involuntary disembarkation and mandatory isolation in a the foreign port is what worries me the most.

Ditto.  It's one thing to be put in quarantine on a ship but quite another to be offloaded at a foreign port. One would need two consecutive negative tests before being cleared to return home.   All it takes is one positive test within my tour group and the cruise is over for me. 

On 10/9/2021 at 7:32 AM, Hlitner said:

There has also been some positive tests on the Seabourn Ovation while cruising the Greek Islands.  More then a dozen passengers were disembarked on the island of Rhodes and put into hotel quarantine which apparently will last about 10 days.  The ship has continued on its scheduled itinerary.

Hank

I wonder who pays for that quarantine? The cruise line, the Greek government or the passengers? 

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wonder who pays for that quarantine? The cruise line, the Greek government or the passengers? 

According to info posted by one of the men in quarantine,  Seabourn is taking care of the cost of the quarantine and handling the revised air arrangements.

Hank

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

According to info posted by one of the men in quarantine,  Seabourn is taking care of the cost of the quarantine and handling the revised air arrangements.

Hank

While that is good solid information for Seabourn, it really does not answer the question for other cruise lines.

25 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

While that is good solid information for Seabourn, it really does not answer the question for other cruise lines.

In the case I commented on above, Crystal didn’t cover the costs (hotel room and meals) of those passengers disembarked for quarantine.  I don’t know if they were eventually reimbursed or not but upon arrival at the hotel they had to provide a credit card for billing purposes.  

48 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

You are correct,  There are currently 51 ocean cruise lines and 27 river cruise lines.  So I guess you could start a thread for each one and by the time you were able to learn the policy of each line they would have likely changed their policies :).   And to further complicate matters you are likely to find that some cruise lines vary their policies depending on where they happen to be sailing.  So the policy for a positive case in the Bahamas would be completely different then a positive case in Greece.

And then you have Oceania which appears to have an interesting policy for when their ship (Marina) will be cruising from a US Port.  All passengers must be vaccinated (unless the courts intervene) but the cruise line "strongly recommends" that all embarking passengers get a COVID test within a few days of embarkation.  If the passengers do not provide negative test results they will still be allowed to cruise but the cruise line will not be financially responsible if that person later gets COVID.  On the other hand a tested passenger will apparently be handled by the cruise line at the cruise line's expense.  But to add to the "fun" this past week the Governor of Florida appealed to the courts to overturn Oceania's vaccine mandate!  And this is just the policy for one ship in one port!

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ontheweb said:

Almost all of the cruise lines have detailed information on their websites if you want to look for it. Most seem to be paying for any quarantine and/or transportation expenses home, and some are also pro-rating a refund if you have to leave your cruise early. I know Celebrity is doing all of these, at least during the initial restart. 

Information is there, if you take the time to look for it.

18 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Almost all of the cruise lines have detailed information on their websites if you want to look for it. Most seem to be paying for any quarantine and/or transportation expenses home, and some are also pro-rating a refund if you have to leave your cruise early. I know Celebrity is doing all of these, at least during the initial restart. 

Information is there, if you take the time to look for it.

Carnival information is nebulous at best. To say it's all spelled out mostly is misleading. 

Someone affected said yes she got a list handed to her of hotels where she could quarantine, but wrong phone numbers and carnival doesnt pay the hotel. Luckily no other reports since pretesting has started where a pax had to quarantine in a hotel. If they arent very sick they can isolate on ship and in many cases drive home. 

Rcl policy of flying you home from the next port I believe ends the end of october. I guess since pretest started cases are so rare its rarely discussed anymore.

I'm choosing to drive to my port until things are spelled out more. Baby steps for me restarting cruises.

On 10/11/2021 at 6:37 AM, firefly333 said:

Carnival information is nebulous at best. To say it's all spelled out mostly is misleading. 

Apologies. I have to say I had not looked at Carnival. But several other lines I have looked at for various upcoming travel plans all had fairly comprehensive info.