Awful Quiet on Reports of Covid on ships?

glentally

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/24/passenger-dies-of-covid-19-amid-outbreak-on-carnival-cruise-ship.html

this is the only death I’ve seen reported from a reputable news source.

I do think there are small outbreaks happening relatively often. Seen a handful reported and even more from people on this site who claim it happened on their cruise. Not enough that I would cancel a booked cruise.

Yeah. It’s really nothing all that different than the rest of the last two years. You can catch Covid pretty much anywhere, including on a cruise ship. And if you catch Covid and are older and/or at risk, then you may die. More than 1,000 vaccinated people have still died from Covid. It’s not entirely unexpected that a few of them caught it on a cruise.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Seem to me we’ve got at least one who was a woman on carnival, and one man on MSC. Plus more is my guess. But not a lot more. 

I think passengers are starting to realise they should not go to the medical centre and that the cruise lines won't monitor them that closely.

On 9/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, crusinthrough said:

Maybe nothing to report and under control because of mask wearing.  Where is the confusion?

I always get a good chuckle at the exaggerated importance of mask wearing. 

Never mind that amongst other things, people who fail the covid test literally cannot board. It must be the piece of cloth people wear when they walk in the hallway, but not when eating, drinking, or other sitting activities. That surely cancels out an aerosol virus.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Never mind that amongst other things, people who fail the covid test literally cannot board. It must be the piece of cloth people wear when they walk in the hallway, but not when eating, drinking, or other sitting activities. That surely cancels out an aerosol virus.

so, do you have a favorite cruise song ?

On 9/12/2021 at 9:43 AM, Sunshine3601 said:

Fortunately there haven't been any outbreaks large enough for the news to focus on (other than that one carnival ship with several crew members with covid).

Covid will get onto a ship and may have a positive case or two pop up per ship That shows the current protocols are working.  

a 77 year old  vaccinated passenger from Oklahoma died  after that cruise. I read that, but the only death  so far I have heard of since cruising came back. That gives me hope that the vaccines and  other precautions do make a difference.

Since COVID isn't going away we  need to learn  how we can live with it safely.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, momofmeg said:

a 77 year old  vaccinated passenger from Oklahoma died  after that cruise. I read that, but the only death  so far I have heard of since cruising came back. That gives me hope that the vaccines and  other precautions do make a difference.

Since COVID isn't going away we  need to learn  how we can live with it safely.

All the cruise lines need to make it mandatory that everyone no matter their age, medical condition(s), or excuse(s) be vaccinated before boarding their ships. 

• Like 1

On 9/13/2021 at 7:50 PM, jtwind said:

Sure.  Just take a look at what happened to Iceland, French Polynesia, and Hawaii when they relaxed their restrictions.

What happened in Iceland? Positive cases went up a bit but deaths from Covid are rare. As far as I know they have only had one death from Covid since May. I have a friend that lives there.

• Like 1

There are currently 8 cruise ships sailing from Piraeus, Greece as home port. Seven of those ships either do not require masks or merely suggest them. All 7 of those ships have had COVID cases onboard over the past 10 weeks. Not large outbreaks, but reportable cases where the pax had to be disembarked and quarantined in a Greek facility.

Only one of those 8 ships requires and enforces mask wearing by crew and passengers. That vessel has not had a single COVID case in the 3 months they have sailed from Piraeus.

What does this story prove? Nothing, actually. Maybe they just got lucky.

But it does suggest that wearing masks may help.

Given the choice, I might opt to sail on the ship with masks and no COVID.

What are the names of those ships? Google is your friend.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, BruceMuzz said:

There are currently 8 cruise ships sailing from Piraeus, Greece as home port. Seven of those ships either do not require masks or merely suggest them. All 7 of those ships have had COVID cases onboard over the past 10 weeks. Not large outbreaks, but reportable cases where the pax had to be disembarked and quarantined in a Greek facility.

Only one of those 8 ships requires and enforces mask wearing by crew and passengers. That vessel has not had a single COVID case in the 3 months they have sailed from Piraeus.

What does this story prove? Nothing, actually. Maybe they just got lucky.

But it does suggest that wearing masks may help.

Given the choice, I might opt to sail on the ship with masks and no COVID.

What are the names of those ships? Google is your friend.

Too small a sample to be statistically significant, but I do see where it points in the direction that cruise lines should be going. After more experience, perhaps the proof will be there.

17 hours ago, frantic36 said:

What happened in Iceland? Positive cases went up a bit but deaths from Covid are rare. As far as I know they have only had one death from Covid since May. I have a friend that lives there.

I guess your friend didn't tell you that this has been their biggest wave by far, and that they have gone back to mask wearing, distancing, and serious contact tracing.  If you get pinged by the tracing, you're off to a designated hotel.  No going outside for a quick walk, no visitors, nothing.

4 hours ago, jtwind said:

I guess your friend didn't tell you that this has been their biggest wave by far, and that they have gone back to mask wearing, distancing, and serious contact tracing.  If you get pinged by the tracing, you're off to a designated hotel.  No going outside for a quick walk, no visitors, nothing.

Yes they have to do mask wearing at times indoors and contact tracing should be part of any  countries plan even with high vaccination rates so they can keep it under control. If you get pinged you only have to wait for your test results to confirm if you are positive. I'm not sure about the hotel but my friend certainly didn't mention it. He in fact recently left his apartment in Reykjavick  to go to his house in the country for a holiday and with no problems or restrictions. 

So I am not sure where you are getting your information but that is what I am hearing from on the ground.

Getting pinged by contact tracing results in quarantine.  It takes a while for the viral load to grow to the point where it is detectable, right?

Again, Iceland is a great example of why restrictions shouldn't be reduced.  Cases didn't go up by a bit, they had their worst time of the whole pandemic.

On 9/12/2021 at 2:05 PM, chengkp75 said:

As one who has actually maintained these "quality ventilation systems", I'd love to know what sets them apart from any ventilation or HVAC system in any building ashore?

You always provide valuable information. I’ve read a lot of your responses. Do cabins share the same air through the ventilation system. I can’t imagine each room having its own system. Thanks 

On 9/13/2021 at 10:46 AM, Joebucks said:

Pre Covid (and still) doctors and other medial professionals covered their clothes in a gown, put on a mask, covered their hair and wore gloves prior to performing a surgery.  I would presume this was / is done to prevent infections during surgery and not as a fashion statement.  

There are other professions where wearing a mask due to respiratory concerns hence the reason they are made.  

Someone makes masks a political statement and mask wearing becomes a joke vs a way prevent infection.  You are laughing at the wrong thing.

3 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

Pre Covid (and still) doctors and other medial professionals covered their clothes in a gown, put on a mask, covered their hair and wore gloves prior to performing a surgery.  I would presume this was / is done to prevent infections during surgery and not as a fashion statement.  

There are other professions where wearing a mask due to respiratory concerns hence the reason they are made.  

Someone makes masks a political statement and mask wearing becomes a joke vs a way prevent infection.  You are laughing at the wrong thing.

I know you've read this on the internet, and the mention of a medical professional makes it sciencey and therefore, non-debatable. However, there is a vast difference between a sterile environment when cutting a person open for surgery to prevent infection vs what's being attempted with COVID.

Masks quietly went away when it was announced that COVID was in aerosol form. The people of "science" casually seem to omit that detail when talking about prevention. You'd think with the deadliest virus ever, we would talk about how it spreads and understanding it. If an enclosed area is subject to having harmful aerosol particulates in the air for hours, it is quite useless to believe you are going to stop it with a cloth mask. Air circulation and filtration seems to be fairly important, but that's not part of the narrative. 

Since you like the topic of medical professionals, what do they wear when there is high potential exposure to a deadly virus? Hint: it's not a cloth mask. 

There's infinite evidence out there with all of the politicians and experts who harp on masks don't have them on when they think the cameras are off.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I know you've read this on the internet, and the mention of a medical professional makes it sciencey and therefore, non-debatable. However, there is a vast difference between a sterile environment when cutting a person open for surgery to prevent infection vs what's being attempted with COVID.

Masks quietly went away when it was announced that COVID was in aerosol form. The people of "science" casually seem to omit that detail when talking about prevention. You'd think with the deadliest virus ever, we would talk about how it spreads and understanding it. If an enclosed area is subject to having harmful aerosol particulates in the air for hours, it is quite useless to believe you are going to stop it with a cloth mask. Air circulation and filtration seems to be fairly important, but that's not part of the narrative. 

Since you like the topic of medical professionals, what do they wear when there is high potential exposure to a deadly virus? Hint: it's not a cloth mask. 

There's infinite evidence out there with all of the politicians and experts who harp on masks don't have them on when they think the cameras are off.

I agree masks for surgery and masks for COVID is not a good/valid comparison.    The way I see it, masks are just a layer of protection.  They will catch a lot of the aerosol droplets.  I don't think any serious person says they will prevent COVID.  

I think the only evidence to be gleaned from politicians is most of them act like politicians.