WWYD / pool etiquette

suec12

15 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

I'll take a stab at this......

If I was the person who moved the umbrella......

......I would apologize and say sorry but I did not see anyone using it....and I'd tell you I will put it back for you when you get out of the pool.....and then when you decided to return to your "special seat with the special umbrella" I'd move it back for you.

If I was the person in the pool (you)......

.......I would have not said anything and because I was not using the umbrella and I did not leave my wife to "guard" the property, I'd laugh at myself and say "oh well, the dip in the pool was worth it" and understand that is the risk when I leave my chair/umbrella.

It's a "first world problem" and glad we can get back to having conversations about chair hogs and other important cruise ship matters!

i believe you are as rude as the umbrella takers - might be why you side with them.

When I got out of the pool - I'd move my chair over with them under the umbrella - I'd say" some one took my umbrella, hope you don't mind if I share.

I did like the - I'll be right back soon - signs.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Mary229 said:

As it is community problem that was not actively being used they were within their rights to move it 

It was being actively used and the OP gave the other person notice that the umbrella was in use.  As community property, then it would have been within OP's rights to move it back. 

I think the best option would have been to find a deck hand and request that it be returned.  That's probably the best option.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It was being actively used and the OP gave the other person notice that the umbrella was in use.  As community property, then it would have been within OP's rights to move it back. 

I think the best option would have been to find a deck hand and request that it be returned.  That's probably the best option.

That is what I say, find a deck hand.  I don't think anyone should be moving those heavy umbrellas.  That is what I have said in all of my postings.  Let the crew deal with this one.  Going vigilante or smart mouth on some one accomplishes nothing and simply creates a bad scene onboard.  

Edited by Mary229
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

Let the crew deal with this one.  Going vigilante or smart mouth on some one accomplishes nothing and simply creates a bad scene onboard.  

Getting into a physical confrontation with somebody over an umbrella could get each party banned for life - maybe even from all Carnival Corporation owned lines.  "Is this the hill one wants to die on?"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Some people have no manners! And I'm referring to that jolly couple born in a barn somewhere after having been made aware by the OP that the table with umbrella was being used by her. Unfortunately, you see that type of behavior on a daily basis

• Like 6

OP here - thanks for the feedback. I took my things and found the one other place an umbrella was throwing shade - which by the way, where the other couple could have sat. I admit, I did shoot a parting look and say “nice!” I do think more umbrellas would be appreciated. I did enjoy some of the devious “pay backs” expressed but I know none of us wants to be banned from cruising!

• Like 4

19 hours ago, RuthC said:

So, you're saying that someone there alone is left to the whims of others when they take a dip, go to use the restroom, or whatever short time away from their table & chair they take. 
Nothing of theirs is safe, and is up for grabs. 

I don't think so. 

What that couple did was rude, and they should have known better. 

I had the same thought yesterday when I first read this post, but I couldn't find a (polite) way of expressing it. Thanks for doing so. You are always the voice of reason!

I mostly travel solo and I've learned to let a lot of things just roll off my back (in the school of "Don't sweat the small stuff.")  But one time I did lose my cool.

I was seated in the buffet dining area of a ship (a very small ship, not HAL) eating my dinner at a nice table for two I had selected next to a window. The seating on this ship was such that on both sides of the room there were banquettes for two or four variously, with two seats looking out the window and the other two (on the banquette) facing the interior. They could be moved together to accommodate larger groups as needed. This outer row of tables generally filled up quickly due to their views.

Anyway, I had been through the buffet and had taken my seat and was dining. A group of six entered the area, which was already fairly full, and started looking for somewhere to sit. They took the four top next to me and then, the next thing I know I got a tap on the shoulder from a rather imperious lady who said to me, "Now see here, my friends and I want to dine together. As you are dining alone, would you mind moving elsewhere?" (I swear those were her exact words....)

As I am naturally a courteous person, my first instinct was to be courteous. I looked around the room, and lo and behold there were two four-top tables in the interior of the room that were available but had no view. So I pointed to them and said, "It looks like there are two tables just over there that you can pull together."

To which, nonplussed, she replied, "But we all want to dine together HERE!"  

At that point something in me just snapped, so I stood up and said rather (very) loudly, "Ma'am, are you saying that I am not entitled to a table with a view because I am dining alone??" 

Her husband stepped in then and tried to defuse things by saying, "We didn't mean to offend you. We just thought that as you were alone, you wouldn't mind moving....."  and he inclined his head to the other table, as if I were a child that should just pick up my things and trot over there.

I counted to three (or maybe 103). Then said "I'm sorry for your problem but it's not right that you should expect me to move. Perhaps you should have arrived earlier, as I did, if a view is important to your group. Maybe the dining manager can help you."  I then sat back down and resumed eating, refusing to further engage with them. 

There were a number of "tut-tuts" and "pshaws" and "can you believes..." followed by a low pitched but clearly unhappy conversation with the manager. The upshot was that they stood ostentatiously in the middle of the room for about 10 minutes, then left. 

Of course, this rather ruined the meal for me. I felt like everyone was staring at me. But at the end of the meal when I got up to get some dessert, someone from another table came over and said, "Well done. What they did was completely out of line." Made me feel a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part cruising is a great form of travel for solos and I love it. But if you're traveling as a couple, do give a thought to us solos from time to time. We never have anyone to hold a seat for us in a lounge even for a quick trip to the powder room, and getting up to refill a plate or cup in the lido is always hazardous. Imagine not ever being able to dip into the pool for five minutes because someone may repossess your lounger (or your umbrella)!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I had the same thought yesterday when I first read this post, but I couldn't find a (polite) way of expressing it. Thanks for doing so. You are always the voice of reason!

I mostly travel solo and I've learned to let a lot of things just roll off my back (in the school of "Don't sweat the small stuff.")  But one time I did lose my cool.

I was seated in the buffet dining area of a ship (a very small ship, not HAL) eating my dinner at a nice table for two I had selected next to a window. The seating on this ship was such that on both sides of the room there were banquettes for two or four variously, with two seats looking out the window and the other two (on the banquette) facing the interior. They could be moved together to accommodate larger groups as needed. This outer row of tables generally filled up quickly due to their views.

Anyway, I had been through the buffet and had taken my seat and was dining. A group of six entered the area, which was already fairly full, and started looking for somewhere to sit. They took the four top next to me and then, the next thing I know I got a tap on the shoulder from a rather imperious lady who said to me, "Now see here, my friends and I want to dine together. As you are dining alone, would you mind moving elsewhere?" (I swear those were her exact words....)

As I am naturally a courteous person, my first instinct was to be courteous. I looked around the room, and lo and behold there were two four-top tables in the interior of the room that were available but had no view. So I pointed to them and said, "It looks like there are two tables just over there that you can pull together."

At that point something in me just snapped, so I stood up and said rather (very) loudly, "Ma'am, are you saying that I am not entitled to a table with a view because I am dining alone??" 

Her husband stepped in then and tried to defuse things by saying, "We didn't mean to offend you. We just thought that as you were alone, you wouldn't mind moving....."  and he inclined his head to the other table, as if I were a child that should just pick up my things and trot over there.

I counted to three (or maybe 103). Then said "I'm sorry for your problem but it's not right that you should expect me to move. Perhaps you should have arrived earlier, as I did, if a view is important to your group. Maybe the dining manager can help you."  I then sat back down and resumed eating, refusing to further engage with them. 

There were a number of "tut-tuts" and "pshaws" and "can you believes..." followed by a low pitched but clearly unhappy conversation with the manager. The upshot was that they stood ostentatiously in the middle of the room for about 10 minutes, then left. 

Of course, this rather ruined the meal for me. I felt like everyone was staring at me. But at the end of the meal when I got up to get some dessert, someone from another table came over and said, "Well done. What they did was completely out of line." Made me feel a bit better.

Don't get me wrong, for the most part cruising is a great form of travel for solos and I love it. But if you're traveling as a couple, do give a thought to us solos from time to time. We never have anyone to hold a seat for us in a lounge even for a quick trip to the powder room, and getting up to refill a plate or cup in the lido is always hazardous. Imagine not ever being able to dip into the pool for five minutes because someone may repossess your lounger (or your umbrella)!

It was an umbrella, not a chair.  AN UMBRELLA, a big old umbrella, not a personal item.  People shouldn't move those anyway.  And people telling people to get into people's faces is not good.  Find the crew, work it out with them.  BUT AN UMBRELLA, for heaven's sakes I can't understand why people can't distinguish between a big old umbrella which obviously is supposed to stay in one place and a chair.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I would certainly consider packing some clothes pins and hang some skivvies to dry on the umbrella while taking a dip.

Surely the folks considering relocating the umbrella would think twice IMHO.

Just a suggestion😀.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Very good point that blows me away that people are that rude.  I have never cruised solo but I would never even think of putting someone in that position.  If people are too dumb to know any better its good you put them in their place!  I know you didn't want to but I think they deserved it!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Very good point that blows me away that people are that rude.  I have never cruised solo but I would never even think of putting someone in that position.  If people are too dumb to know any better its good you put them in their place!  I know you didn't want to but I think they deserved it!

As for the umbrella I would just let the staff know as has been said.  A rude sense of entitlement displayed by those umbrella thieves!

My attitude on a Ship is that we are all here to enjoy the common areas and we try to be courteous to our neighbors.  What comes around goes around in life....on or off the Ship.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nymich said:

Very good point that blows me away that people are that rude.  I have never cruised solo but I would never even think of putting someone in that position.  If people are too dumb to know any better its good you put them in their place!  I know you didn't want to but I think they deserved 

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Again, my personal thoughts. If I were the OTHER party, I would approach you and ask if you were dining alone and if so, would you allow us to join you? 

OR.. as I am a very friendly person,  if asked if I could move, I would say "I would love for y'all to join me"!

55 minutes ago, prescottbob said:

I would certainly consider packing some clothes pins and hang some skivvies to dry on the umbrella while taking a dip.

Surely the folks considering relocating the umbrella would think twice IMHO.

Just a suggestion😀.

Be well.

Bob

I like that....A long time ago when visiting Disney World with the kids, our Disney stroller kept getting stolen.....we laid a diaper on the stroller with soda spilled on it.....no-one ever stole it again.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

Again, my personal thoughts. If I were the OTHER party, I would approach you and ask if you were dining alone and if so, would you allow us to join you? 

OR.. as I am a very friendly person,  if asked if I could move, I would say "I would love for y'all to join me"!

I think when they say "can you move elsewhere" the thing has hit rock bottom....jmo

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

…They took the four top next to me and then, the next thing I know I got a tap on the shoulder from a rather imperious lady who said to me, "Now see here, my friends and I want to dine together. As you are dining alone, would you mind moving elsewhere?"…To which, nonplussed, she replied, "But we all want to dine together HERE!"…Her husband stepped in then and tried to defuse things by saying, "We didn't mean to offend you. We just thought that as you were alone, you wouldn't mind moving....."…

Wow, what a story! Well said. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mary229 said:

It was an umbrella, not a chair.  AN UMBRELLA, a big old umbrella, not a personal item.  People shouldn't move those anyway.  And people telling people to get into people's faces is not good.  Find the crew, work it out with them.  BUT AN UMBRELLA, for heaven's sakes I can't understand why people can't distinguish between a big old umbrella which obviously is supposed to stay in one place and a chair.

Got ya and 100% agree! That umbrella was at the OP's table and should have not been moved by our favorite couple in the first place. They're not in their back yard, they are on a cruise ship and if there are a limited number of umbrellas around, go complain at the front desk or put it in a LUK card. Heck, take it up with the ship's HD and/or with Gus in Seattle, but don't initiate an unscrewing process, take it away for your own use, and go trouncing with that big ole' bumbershoot to your own table, leaving you and your fellow pax open to all kinds of nasty things - think Mary Poppins on that aft pool deck - that could happen. Keep your paws off ship's equipment (I'm not talking to you, Mary, but to that joyous couple) 

Edited by Copper10-8
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rv6flyer said:

Took a dip n Solarium pool and when I returned to my seat a couple was there. My glasses and room key where still on the table. He would not move and pretended not to speak English. I took his shirt from the lounger and threw it overboard, amazing how much English came out of his mouth.

You threw it into the ocean?????  Seriously 😱 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Rv6flyer said:

Took a dip n Solarium pool and when I returned to my seat a couple was there. My glasses and room key where still on the table. He would not move and pretended not to speak English. I took his shirt from the lounger and threw it overboard, amazing how much English came out of his mouth.

When someone makes things even worse. And brags about it. 

• Like 3

20 hours ago, zgscl said:

I must admit walking down the hallway in the late evening and passing by at least 50 breakfast order cards I thought someone create a real disaster with this system if they wanted to. 

I was on a ship where it was done. To me, and some friends in neighboring cabins. By some bratty kids, in a cabin up the passageway, who had been making trouble the entire cruise. 
All I could think when the tray arrived, was what a waste of food, and the time & trouble someone had gone to to prepare and deliver everything. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RuthC said:

I was on a ship where it was done. To me, and some friends in neighboring cabins. By some bratty kids, in a cabin up the passageway, who had been making trouble the entire cruise. 
All I could think when the tray arrived, was what a waste of food, and the time & trouble someone had gone to to prepare and deliver everything. 

I can only imagine! It would not be a funny joke for anyone. 

23 hours ago, Boytjie said:

When someone makes things even worse. And brags about it. 

I thought I had heard once that throwing anything off the Ship could be grounds to be taken off at the next port?   Danger to marine life etc being the reason.

Edited by Nymich
  • Like 4

55 minutes ago, Rv6flyer said:

I bet he will not steal a chair again. I solved the chair hog problem. And yes I still bring plastic straws with me.

if he contacted security, and they found video proof of you throughing something overboard you most likely would have found your trip terminated at the next port, potentially aling with a ban from the cruise line.

• Like 4