The Daily for Wednesday September 15, 2021

richwmn

@Seasick SailorJoy, thanks for your remarks.  We have been lucky enough to see a lot of the world while cruising.  Still a lot left to see!  As for keeping notes, I do try to document as much as I can remember in my photo books.  I didn't know when I started doing that what a treasure they would be to me.  I hope my family realizes that when I am gone and they pass them down.  🤞

• Like 12

Yes, Spacex is launching the first all civilian crew tonight. It,  as always with a launch  ,will be great to watch. It is weather dependent, looks ok now but who knows! The crew is a little unconventional to say the least! 

Love the pictures of Fanning Island. Hard to really describe the place. There is no electricity or plumbing. They live very simply. 

One of the passengers was looking for a ATM!  He got disgusted and went back on board. 

A truly great and memorable experience.

• Like 17

Just dropping in to say hi to all my Dailyite family and say that I made it to Mobile.  I am having a wonderful visit with my son and grandson. Lots to see even. My son has fixed up the room I am using first to make sure I am comfortable. He is such a sweety. 

• Like 27

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  A blessed Yom Kippur to those who celebrate.  I tried making a hat a few years ago . . . it didn't turn out quite as well as I'd hoped.  I know my forte is newspaper hats for sure now.  A felt hat?  I'll leave that to the pros.

@puppycanducruisewhat spices/sauce are you adding to the turkey breast in the slow cooker?

@cat shepardwhat's not to like about a wine that goes with almost every meat and chocolate.  It suggests pairing it with game - I'm thinking maybe Yahtzee.  LOL

@JAM37I've sewn burp cloths, but never knitted one - do you back it with terry cloth?

I like today's drink suggestion - a million years ago when DH and I first began dating, he introduced me to a Pousse Cafe (a multi-layered drink) that was always fascinating to watch as the bartenders tried to get it right.

It's a bright and sunny day on the "frozen tundra", but it's looking like we'll have to start up the lawn mower to mulch the leaves that have already fallen on both the front and back lawns.  We try to mulch as much as we can, as it's good for the grass and keeps organic materials out of the landfills.  I have a lunch date with a former colleague who is still in the trenches, so will catch up on the latest around the office and court rooms; that's always interesting.

I was surprised to see today's menu suggestion, as it's one of our family favourites.  It takes virtually no time to put together, cooks in the oven and makes the whole house smell delicious.  It's a great go-to in the depths of winter when neither of us really feels like cooking, but wants some stick-to-your-ribs kind of food.  I've also made it with pork chops, except that I brown them before putting them on top of the rice to go in the oven.  For us though, DH grilled up a plethora of garlic sausage yesterday, so we'll be having some re-heated with lemon-dill potatoes and coleslaw for dinner tonight.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Clinking the glasses together tonight to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, be well, wash your hands, wear your masks, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry 

• Like 22

8 minutes ago, cunnorl said:

Yes, Spacex is launching the first all civilian crew tonight. It,  as always with a launch  ,will be great to watch. It is weather dependent, looks ok now but who knows! The crew is a little unconventional to say the least! 

Love the pictures of Fanning Island. Hard to really describe the place. There is no electricity or plumbing. They live very simply. 

One of the passengers was looking for a ATM!  He got disgusted and went back on board. 

A truly great and memorable experience.

I saw some information today about the launch today and the people on it.  Sounds very cool, and quite the adventure for them.  I heard they've been training for 5 months.  I hope it all goes perfectly and that the weather is good so it goes and you can see it happen.

An ATM?  Oh, my gosh!  Did they know nothing about their ports of call?  Yes, it was a wonderful experience, that's for sure.

• Like 15

9 minutes ago, lindaler said:

Just dropping in to say hi to all my Dailyite family and say that I made it to Mobile.  I am having a wonderful visit with my son and grandson. Lots to see even. My son has fixed up the room I am using first to make sure I am comfortable. He is such a sweety. 

I'm so happy you arrived okay and are having such a great time there.  Your son does sound like a sweetie, fixing up the room for you.  That sounds like something my son would do.  He's a sweetie too.  😄

• Like 14

14 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Woke up with lots of Senior tatooitis!😁

I know. It hurts when you give your honest opinion and you get smashed. There is one very snarky person posting to our HAL boards that needs to be called out. Just waiting for her to try something on our Daily.. she'll be roasted. The Daily is the friendliest place on earth!

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I know. It hurts when you give your honest opinion and you get smashed. There is one very snarky person posting to our HAL boards that needs to be called out. Just waiting for her to try something on our Daily.. she'll be roasted. The Daily is the friendliest place on earth!

She has a right to opine her feelings. Just not sure why anyone would continue with a cruise line they find so much fault with. No hurt feeling here!

• Like 18

21 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I think we are both talking about the same person  when I referenced ignoring 😉 

@lindalerso glad you arrived safely and having a good time.  Your son is definitely a sweetie 👍 

@cunnorlOMG on a person expecting an ATM at Fanning Island.  I am still laughing at that one 😂. If ignorance is bliss, that person must be one happy camper LOL🤣

• Like 16
  • Haha 1

👍Thank You for The Daily Rich @richwmn and to Roy @rafinmd for both the Care and Celebration Lists. Roy have fun at your class reunion!😊

Sandi @StLouisCruisers...great of

photos....reminds me of taking school supplies in Fiji. 🤔We were 'supposed' to visit today's port of call back in Mar. 2020 ( (Maasdam) but that was not to be. I was confused about the "two"Christmas Islands at the time..finally figured that out.😉

🙏Prayers to all in need and Blessed Yom Kippur to those who celebrate. 

Katie

260px-KI_Line_islands.png

Edited by garlictown
  • Like 15

@ger_77I don't do anything fancy with the turkey breast in the slow cooker.  

I put a couple of ribs of celery in the slow cooker, along with a sliced onion, a sprig of thyme and a couple of cloves of garlic.  Add some chicken broth and white wine.  Season the turkey breast with salt, pepper, paprika and poultry seasoning then set it on the veggies.  Cook on low about 5 hours.  Strain the juices to make gravy.   You could add potatoes and carrots to the slow cooker if you want to have a one pot meal.

Enjoy.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StLouisCruisers said:

If someone here knows what this area is for I'd like to know.  No one was there to ask. 00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhGheqtVKfSriiyTaSV7wEpna2x5jV?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium&ts=1493590627

Haven't been there (hopefully one day😀), but apparently these are seaweed farms.

Seaweed and copra are about their only exports - albeit on a rather miniscule scale when compared to the amounts produced in other countries.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, GeorgeCharlie said:

Haven't been there (hopefully one day😀), but apparently these are seaweed farms.

Seaweed and copra are about their only exports - albeit on a rather miniscule scale when compared to the amounts produced in other countries.

Thanks for offering an explanation.  Good idea.  They have to work with what they've got, right?  One of my grandsons is a fan of that dried seaweed.  Not for me, though.😐

• Like 9

Good morning!  I haven't posted in a few days, but I do read every day!  Prayers for those on the Care List and Congratulations for those celebrating!   I never make it on page 2.  Where is everyone!

Well, my day started rather strange!  Got a computer reminder that I was on a cruise starting tomorrow!  My TA (Nieuw Statendam from Barcelona) that was cancelled sometime during COVID.  Guess I won't be able to make the ship's departure in Europe!  HA!

We had some rain Saturday night, and the air has been so clear since Sunday!  We are able to see the "mountains" around the Grand Valley.  We really aren't in the mountains, but have significant geological outcroppings that we haven't seen for quite some time due to smoke!  Now, if the fires were just out in the states/provinces further North and West.

I have already done a Zoom call this morning for Red Cross.  Just one more this week.  Things kind of  "ebb and flow" with the number of calls depending on COVID, fires, and other emergencies.

Have a great day, everyone.

• Like 17

2 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Feeling a little bruised after telling it like it was on another post.😁More rain in the forecast, in fact lots of rain. Nicholas is gushing.

Thanks Rich and others for our daily Daily!

Don't feel bad for sharing your honest opinion, observations and experiences.

• Like 10

I feel so badly for the Canadians that had planned to be on the Transatlantics this fall.  Because of U.S. regulations they will not be permitted into the U.S. since they were in  Schengen countries.  And they are all being cancelled from their cruises.

My sincere sympathies to @ger_77@Vict0riann@sailingdutchy@Dunmore2and all Canadians who were so looking forward to this cruise.

LAFFNVEGAS suspects they will have to cancel the TA’s all together.

This is part of the letter posted from Gus Antorcha on other threads.

“Dear Travel Partner,

We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. for travelers who have been in a Schengen Country within fourteen days of their arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.

Our records indicate that your clients listed below are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that they have not provided us with their residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate them on the following voyages: 

• Eurodam (D158A) - 18 October 2021
    27-Day Mediterranean Romance & Spanish Farewell
  • Eurodam (D163) - 30 October 2021
    15-Day Spanish Farewell
  • Eurodam (D163A) - 30 October 2021
    25-Day Spanish Farewell & Panama Canal
  • Rotterdam (Y164) - 20 October 2021
    14-Day Atlantic Sojourn

We will cancel these bookings as they will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate their understanding.”

Such a shame 😔 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 12

Thank you Rich , Roy , Jacqui and all other contributors .

It looks like such a nice day outside but our day was totally spoiled by an email from Gus Antorcha form HAL  , not that I totally blame him or HAL for this  much more so the politics of it all .

Our cruise from Europe on the Eurodam to Florida which was to leave in 33 days has now officially been cancelled because we are Canadians coming into the US from a Schengen country . As far as the Covid is concerned most if not all Schengen countries have better numbers than the US , and also the fact that Canadians right now can fly in and out of the US without any major problem . 

Sorry people I needed a place to vent  because this is just crazy . For other Canadians who have not been notified yet here is the notification :

A Message from Gus Antorcha 

Dear Travel Partner,

We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. for travelers who have been in a Schengen Country within fourteen days of their arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.

Our records indicate that your clients listed below are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that they have not provided us with their residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate them on the following voyages: 

• Eurodam (D158A) - 18 October 2021
    15-Day Spanish Farewell
    25-Day Spanish Farewell & Panama Canal Sunfarer
    14-Day Atlantic Sojourn

We will cancel these bookings as they will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate their understanding.

Tony 😢😢

• Like 7
  • Thanks 8

1 minute ago, sailingdutchy said:

Sorry people I needed a place to vent  because this is just crazy . For other Canadians who have not been notified yet here is the notification :

Vent away.  I don’t blame you one bit.  it seems ludicrous when you consider how much safer Europe and Canada are.  Wish we had not opened our border to the U.S. until there was some recipricocity.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

I wonder if they will allow the Canadians to disembark in the Azores we can stay thare for a few days and If I am correct there should be direct flights from the Azores to Toronto and other Canadian cities .

Just trying desperately save our cruise ! And a few days in the Azores would be wonderful ! 

Tony 

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, sailingdutchy said:

I wonder if they will allow the Canadians to disembark in the Azores we can stay thare for a few days and If I am correct there should be direct flights from the Azores to Toronto and other Canadian cities .

Just trying desperately save our cruise ! And a few days in the Azores would be wonderful ! 

Tony 

That’s worth a try, Tony.  I’d reach our to your TA/PCC and put in the request right away.  They probably have the cancellation under way already 😔 

There are flights from the Azores to Canada, I’m sure.  And a few days in the Azores would be wonderful.  You could spend a week in Madeira and still not see all of it 👍

• Like 11

@lindaler good to hear from you and that you are having a great time with your family.

@ger_77  I have thought about it, but don't put a backing on them. I have asked family and others if they have had a problem with their shoulders getting damp, etc. Have had people reach out to me from craft fairs and farmer's markets to ask for more. None of them have so I haven't bothered adding a backing. 

@puppycanducruise that sounds delicious. 

• Like 11

Good morning, all.  The email we got was a little different from the ones that went to travel agents:

Dear Valued Guest,
We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. if you have been in a Schengen Country (including Italy) within fourteen days of your arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.
Our records indicate that either you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that you have not provided us with your residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate you on your 27-Day Mediterranean Romance & Spanish Farewell voyage on Eurodam (booking #XR3V6L) and will cancel your booking as you will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
If you feel you qualify for exemption status under the U.S. travel restriction policy (click here to view the Order), please notify us prior to 15 October 2021 using our online form (which will be available in the next 24 hours) so your reservation is not automatically cancelled. Additionally, please complete Online Check-In to provide your residency, citizenship and other immigration information. It is your responsibility to determine whether you qualify to enter the U.S. You may contact your local U.S. consulate or theU.S. Department of State if you have questions about eligibility to travel to the U.S. Our reservations team does not have additional information regarding administration of government policy. Guests denied boarding at the pier for this reason are subject to cancellation fees.
If you are ineligible to sail, you have the option of moving to a comparable voyage with your cruise fare (or per-day fare if the voyage length is different), promotions and incentives protected. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as Flight Ease® air, shore excursions, dining, gifts and spa will be refunded to the original form of purchase.
If you do not want to sail on a replacement voyage, you have the option of receiving a full refund. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line. Any portion of the fare that was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit will be returned to the guest’s Mariner account.
To advise us of your choice, please complete the Online Preferences Form before 15 October 2021. The form will be available within the next 24 hours and will give you the options to advise us that you are eligible to travel, transfer to a replacement voyage, or request a full refund of all monies paid. Please visit the form to see your replacement voyage options and rate protection offer based on your current voyage. If you do not complete the form, your booking will be automatically cancelled on 15 October 2021 for a full refund.
If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with your travel advisor and those operators regarding their charges.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office:
Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):
Contact us at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395. 
We are available Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 6:00pm PT.
Saturday-Sunday 7:00am – 4:00pm PT.
Southampton Office (GBP currency):
Contact us at 0344 338 8605. 
We are available Monday – Friday, 9:00am – 5:30pm.
Rotterdam Office (EUR currency):
Contact us on 00800 1873 1873. 
For Netherlands contact us on 0800 724 5425. 
Sydney Office (AUD currency):
Contact us at 1300 987 322.
We are available Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 7:00pm.
Again, we extend our most sincere apologies for any disappointment this may cause. Please know that we truly appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you on board for your next Holland America Line cruise. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

16 minutes ago, kazu said:

I feel so badly for the Canadians that had planned to be on the Transatlantics this fall.  Because of U.S. regulations they will not be permitted into the U.S. since they were in  Schengen countries.  And they are all being cancelled from their cruises.

My sincere sympathies to @ger_77@Vict0riann@sailingdutchy@Dunmore2and all Canadians who were so looking forward to this cruise.

LAFFNVEGAS suspects they will have to cancel the TA’s all together.

This is part of the letter posted from Gus Antorcha on other threads.

“Dear Travel Partner,

We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. for travelers who have been in a Schengen Country within fourteen days of their arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.

• Eurodam (D158A) - 18 October 2021
    15-Day Spanish Farewell
    25-Day Spanish Farewell & Panama Canal
    14-Day Atlantic Sojourn

We will cancel these bookings as they will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate their understanding.”

Such a shame 😔 

This makes me very sad for all of those expecting to be on these cruises. My heart goes out to each of you.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Vict0riann said:

Good morning, all.  The email we got was a little different from the ones that went to travel agents:

Dear Valued Guest,
We had hoped that the restrictions on travel to the United States from within the Schengen Area that were first enacted in January 2021 would be relaxed in time for our transatlantic voyages from Europe to the United States. The United States does not currently allow entry to the U.S. if you have been in a Schengen Country (including Italy) within fourteen days of your arrival to the U.S. This does not apply to U.S. citizens and permanent residents or their spouses.
Our records indicate that either you are not a U.S. citizen or permanent resident or that you have not provided us with your residency and citizenship information. As a result, we regret that we are unable to accommodate you on your 27-Day Mediterranean Romance & Spanish Farewell voyage on Eurodam (booking #XR3V6L) and will cancel your booking as you will not be permitted entry to the U.S. at the end of our cruise. We are sorry for the disappointment this may cause and appreciate your understanding.
If you feel you qualify for exemption status under the U.S. travel restriction policy (click here to view the Order), please notify us prior to 15 October 2021 using our online form (which will be available in the next 24 hours) so your reservation is not automatically cancelled. Additionally, please complete Online Check-In to provide your residency, citizenship and other immigration information. It is your responsibility to determine whether you qualify to enter the U.S. You may contact your local U.S. consulate or theU.S. Department of State if you have questions about eligibility to travel to the U.S. Our reservations team does not have additional information regarding administration of government policy. Guests denied boarding at the pier for this reason are subject to cancellation fees.
If you are ineligible to sail, you have the option of moving to a comparable voyage with your cruise fare (or per-day fare if the voyage length is different), promotions and incentives protected. Non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line such as Flight Ease® air, shore excursions, dining, gifts and spa will be refunded to the original form of purchase.
If you do not want to sail on a replacement voyage, you have the option of receiving a full refund. Refunds will be reimbursed to the original form of payment and will include all non-cruise fare purchases through Holland America Line. Any portion of the fare that was paid using a previously issued Future Cruise Credit will be returned to the guest’s Mariner account.
To advise us of your choice, please complete the Online Preferences Form before 15 October 2021. The form will be available within the next 24 hours and will give you the options to advise us that you are eligible to travel, transfer to a replacement voyage, or request a full refund of all monies paid. Please visit the form to see your replacement voyage options and rate protection offer based on your current voyage. If you do not complete the form, your booking will be automatically cancelled on 15 October 2021 for a full refund.
If any portion of your travel was not booked through Holland America Line, other booking and cancellation conditions and policies may apply. Most airlines and other travel-related services such as hotels, transportation, and tours are allowing refunds or waiving change fees due to COVID-19; please work directly with your travel advisor and those operators regarding their charges.
Should you have any questions, please reach out to us at the appropriate office:
Seattle Office (USD/CAD currency):
Contact us at 1-800-577-1728 or 206-626-7395. 
We are available Monday – Friday, 6:00am – 6:00pm PT.
Saturday-Sunday 7:00am – 4:00pm PT.
Southampton Office (GBP currency):
Contact us at 0344 338 8605. 
Rotterdam Office (EUR currency):
Contact us on 00800 1873 1873. 
For Netherlands contact us on 0800 724 5425. 
Sydney Office (AUD currency):
Contact us at 1300 987 322.
We are available Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 7:00pm.
Again, we extend our most sincere apologies for any disappointment this may cause. Please know that we truly appreciate your understanding. We look forward to welcoming you on board for your next Holland America Line cruise. 

Ann, I am so very sorry that your plans have been dashed so badly.  I know you had done careful planning and feel for you, Tony, Gerry & the others having to cancel all of those carefully made plans.  

I know how depressing it is.  I’ve had to do it too many times now 😔 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

As an American with some Canadian "roots", I too, regret hearing this latest information.

I'm not sure who and what department decides in the US who can enter and why, but it does not seem right.  

We live in a condo where we have one carport and therefore are allowed one car per unit, unless you make other  arrangements.  The lovely lady above us from Ontario was unable to drive down to use her winter home last season, so she allowed us to park the second car we bought to do highway road trips in her carport.  After returning from our 

5000 mile trip in August, we sold it thinking she would be returning this fall.  I do hope she can drive down, but so far those border restrictions have not changed for Canadians to enter the US.  They can fly, but not drive!

It seems this covid problem has become a long term problem.  I do hope vaccinated travelers, who are healthy, will be welcomed to the US soon.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 2