The Daily for Wednesday September 15, 2021

richwmn

3 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Feeling a little bruised after telling it like it was on another post.😁More rain in the forecast, in fact lots of rain. Nicholas is gushing.

Thanks Rich and others for our daily Daily!

For every one person you upset by telling the truth, at least 20 others appreciated the information. Try not to trip over the person on the ground throwing the tantrum and carry on.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

I am so sorry for all who have had upcoming cruises cancelled.  I know so many were looking forward to being back on “the high seas.”   My lament is trivial, due to the fact that my NS  ruise was cancelled over a year ago, and I had put it our of my mind. 

I, too, am upset with the U.S. government for their crazy rules.  I agree that there should have been reciprocity!

• Like 17

46 minutes ago, kazu said:

Vent away.  I don’t blame you one bit.  it seems ludicrous when you consider how much safer Europe and Canada are.  Wish we had not opened our border to the U.S. until there was some recipricocity.

I'm going to take a bit of a different tack here.  It seems to me there's plenty of potential blame to go around here and few if any countries come off without egg on their faces.  It seems to me that one thing that would be feasible both operationally and medically would be for HAL to adjust the itinerary a bit and add a detour to Halifax and allow ships from Schengen countries to call there or perhaps a stop in Bermuda.

I wonder how many people are on a B2B that ends with a transatlantic and now need a new way to get home.

Roy

• Like 16
  • Thanks 3

Good morning, all! Happy Yom Kippur to those who observe it. I wore a hat today, but I don’t make them. The meals sound wonderful, both Rich’s pick and Roy’s alternate.
DH and I are heading out to the Okanagan shortly. We’re visiting my DS and BIL while our cousin from Ontario is there. I’ll keep this brief, and just post the latest progress picture of the banana plant. It’s not getting taller any more, just wider ( rather like myself😉).

And some earlier pics for reference.3580EA7A-78BE-485C-AAB2-FD03C08CC86B.thumb.jpeg.aff32e2385cd0af6f8c4debe421d5594.jpeg

F61FD2E7-614E-4B4C-A947-D93DB640824D.thumb.jpeg.0566d2a5566b4bc8e97924231c0d0aaa.jpeg

4AABBB44-F427-435C-B266-277B87F5878B.thumb.jpeg.c0c8daefcf0605f7011e70be60b4846f.jpeg

E301FDD8-D6A6-4D29-87B5-2ADC55AA0207.thumb.jpeg.7baa74f369ef54f60b779fd44f29f766.jpeg

9A3632BD-73A3-4904-8282-B26C9984CB7A.thumb.jpeg.889bb32373a1c3176694bc576eb100e9.jpeg

Meanwhile, Happy Wednesday with dreams of a BHB!

612B3F04-D788-4871-8818-649AA80A70F6.thumb.jpeg.cfa597afc899f940a34a5e606071c944.jpeg

• Like 24

11 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

I'm going to take a bit of a different tack here.  It seems to me there's plenty of potential blame to go around here and few if any countries come off without egg on their faces.  It seems to me that one thing that would be feasible both operationally and medically would be for HAL to adjust the itinerary a bit and add a detour to Halifax and allow ships from Schengen countries to call there or perhaps a stop in Bermuda.

I wonder how many people are on a B2B that ends with a transatlantic and now need a new way to get home.

Roy

I don’t think HAL could do the stop in Halifax / Bermuda since it would add time to the itinerary and they have Caribbean cruises scheduled.

I’m sure if someone wanted to use some common sense though they could have figured out a way to add one of those stops and meet their Caribbean deadlines.  Bermuda - might not need to be a visit - just a stop to disembark and carry on.

You and I can disagree on the different tacts and blaming countries  though - what’s the big deal on people entering the U.S. that are FULLY vaccinated and have the covid test.  That’s what is required to enter Canada (and many countries that have opened) and if the U.S. was to reciprocate accordingly it would have solved the issue.  

But, I’m a tad prejudiced admittedly living in a province that has fought hard to stay safe as much as possible from covid. 😉 

I’m just glad and grateful I moved our TA this year to next year a while ago.

• Like 12

11 minutes ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

Good morning, all! Happy Yom Kippur to those who observe it. I wore a hat today, but I don’t make them. The meals sound wonderful, both Rich’s pick and Roy’s alternate.
DH and I are heading out to the Okanagan shortly. We’re visiting my DS and BIL while our cousin from Ontario is there. I’ll keep this brief, and just post the latest progress picture of the banana plant. It’s not getting taller any more, just wider ( rather like myself😉).

And some earlier pics for reference.3580EA7A-78BE-485C-AAB2-FD03C08CC86B.thumb.jpeg.aff32e2385cd0af6f8c4debe421d5594.jpeg

F61FD2E7-614E-4B4C-A947-D93DB640824D.thumb.jpeg.0566d2a5566b4bc8e97924231c0d0aaa.jpeg

4AABBB44-F427-435C-B266-277B87F5878B.thumb.jpeg.c0c8daefcf0605f7011e70be60b4846f.jpeg

E301FDD8-D6A6-4D29-87B5-2ADC55AA0207.thumb.jpeg.7baa74f369ef54f60b779fd44f29f766.jpeg

9A3632BD-73A3-4904-8282-B26C9984CB7A.thumb.jpeg.889bb32373a1c3176694bc576eb100e9.jpeg

612B3F04-D788-4871-8818-649AA80A70F6.thumb.jpeg.cfa597afc899f940a34a5e606071c944.jpeg

Your banana plant is truly incredible 😱 ♥️ 👍 

• Like 11

27 minutes ago, rafinmd said:

Roy

I love how you think!   Surely there could have been some type of workaround! 
DH thinks that the borders won’t open until after the federal election, as things may change.    Wondering if that’s why they’re being so cautious. 

We landed once in Dulles from Venice enroute home to Canada and stood in line for well over an hour on the hottest day of the year.   We watched US citizens go into a very short line but we had arrived when there were a large number of foreign air carriers landing.   We have often wondered if there could not be some type of North American line like the EU does for Europe, fortunately we now have Nexus. 

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 14

Good afternoon.  I'm very late today between sleeping in and trying to get laundry done, among other things.

Happy Yom Kippur to all who observe the day.

I wear hats sometimes, but have never tried to make one, and none of my hats are felt.  I remember in the 1950s when business men still wore hats to work, the Chamber of Commerce in our town had Felt Hat Day in the fall and Straw Hat Day in the spring.  Those were the days when the men switched from their felt hat to their straw hat or the reverse.

I like today's quote by Emerson.

The meal sounds good, and I'll check out the recipes, but DH suggested steak for dinner.  Who am I to refuse a ribeye?  Today's wine would go well with dinner, but I'll have to settle for my cardboardeaux Pinot Noir. 🍷   Such a first world problem! 🤣 

While we have been to Christmas Island (the one in the Pacfic) but, we have not been to Fanning Island.  We've just never found a cruise that stops there when we want to go. 

Thank you, @StLouisCruisers Sandi, for the pictures.  The picture you posted that you asked about, is a seaweed farm.  I found a stock picture on line that is just about the same picture.

@JAM37  Julia, I hope your ear quit hurting.

@rafinmd  Roy, have a safe trip tomorrow.  Have fun at your reunion.

@aliaschief  Sorry you felt bruised today, but there seem to be a few people who just can't play nice.  Thankfully, they are not on the Daily.  DH likes the name senior tatooitis and the one about barnacles.

@lindaler  Very happy you had a good flight and are enjoying your visit with your son.  So nice he fixed "your" room first.

@Horizon chaser 1957  Wow, that is one big banana plant.  

@Vict0riann, @sailingdutchy and @ger_77  sorry your cruise has been cancelled and all your plans have been idstruted by this horrid virus.

Lenda

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I have been told the side plants are called pups. Our neighbor planted one from his tree in our backyard (the jungle) for us a few years ago. No bananas from ours yet, but the freezer is full of bananas from his trees he gave us. We couldn't eat them fast enough. Banana bread anyone? I am very impressed with the size of your tree in BC.

• Like 13

Notes from our visit to Fanning Island in October of 2015 on the Amsterdam. 

Special thanks to those who posted pictures. 

Good memories. 

I normally just lurk here.  I so enjoy everyone who keeps this thread alive, active and upbeat. Thank you all for all that you do to keep us connected with a world on the water that we can only hope will someday be as incredible as it used to be.

So happy to hear from the brave who are already cruising.  For us the world has to be a bit safer before we board another ship. 

prayers for all who need them. 

Day 15 - Tabuaeran, Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribati

Well, we have sailed about one thousand miles south west of Hawaii, into the middle of nowhere, and have arrived at Fanning Island.

Fanning Island is a small coral atoll - the island itself is shaped a bit like a kidney bean and consists of a narrow spit of land (area of about 13 square miles) that surrounds a large lagoon in the center (area of 426 square miles), the Crystal Blue Lagoon.  The island is one of 32 coral atolls that make up the Republic of Kiribati.  It has about 1000 residents and no electricity or indoor plumbing.  Rather than a kidney bean which is my impression of the shape of the island, the locals think it looks like a large footprint - thus the name "Tabuaeran" which means heavenly footprint.  The majority of the population is in the coconut industry though they also farm seaweed for the Asian market.

We were told that Norwegian Cruise Lines initially put this island on their itinerary for their Hawaiian cruises so that they could go round trip to the U.S. mainland.  There is a treaty that was designed to protect American shipping that requires that ships that are not U.S. flagged and make round trip cruises to the U.S. must stop at a distant foreign port before returning to the U.S.  Thus NCL needed a foreign port and they began stopping at Fanning Island.  That was before NCL got one or two of their ships registered in the U.S.  They then abandoned Fanning Island as a cruise stop.

Today's experience was very different.  Many of us on board had purchased school and medical supplies that were collected by the ship and distributed today to the island school.  We were asked by the ship not to purchase anything at the island's general store as those supplies are necessary for those who live on the island and they do not receive shipments of goods very often.

The island itself is beautiful - lined with coconut palms that are rooted in the grey coral sands and stand near incredibly blue waters.  There is a simple wooden dock that is safe but not in the greatest repair that accepts cruise passengers as the tenders come in.  As we walked down the dock there was a group of school children who sang for us.  There were some chairs set up in the shade for passengers near the dock and a ways down there was a makeshift stage where other island children performed.

The pathway into town was paved with coral sands and littered with mud puddles (as they have recently had rain) and it was lined with tables filled with shell jewelry, baskets, wood carvings and very unusual knives with blades edged with shark's teeth.  The price for souvenirs was very low so it was easy to make a contribution to their economy.  Groups of islanders dressed in grass skirts or other traditional costumes stood along the path posing for photos (and small donations).  At one point there was a group of preschool and primary school age children, along with their teacher, holding pictures they had drawn, and singing for us.  They were absolutely charming.

The islanders live in thatched huts or simple buildings with tin roofs and no walls.  The arrival of a cruise ship is a large event.  This sure was a very interesting event for us also.  One I will remember for a long time.  It is exotic ports like this that always makes me appreciate Holland America.

There were some swells in the ocean today - the trip out to the island went easily, but on the return we had to head over the waves that so beautifully lap upon their shores, causing splashes that topped the tenders and trickled in at our feet.  All part of the experience.

Edited by arzz
  • Like 24

16 minutes ago, arzz said:

Notes from our visit to Fanning Island in October of 2015 on the Amsterdam. 

Special thanks to those who posted pictures. 

Good memories. 

I normally just lurk here.  I so enjoy everyone who keeps this thread alive, active and upbeat. Thank you all for all that you do to keep us connected with a world on the water that we can only hope will someday be as incredible as it used to be.

So happy to hear from the brave who are already cruising.  For us the world has to be a bit safer before we board another ship. 

prayers for all who need them. 

Day 15 - Tabuaeran, Fanning Island, Republic of Kiribati

Well, we have sailed about one thousand miles south west of Hawaii, into the middle of nowhere, and have arrived at Fanning Island.

Fanning Island is a small coral atoll - the island itself is shaped a bit like a kidney bean and consists of a narrow spit of land (area of about 13 square miles) that surrounds a large lagoon in the center (area of 426 square miles), the Crystal Blue Lagoon.  The island is one of 32 coral atolls that make up the Republic of Kiribati.  It has about 1000 residents and no electricity or indoor plumbing.  Rather than a kidney bean which is my impression of the shape of the island, the locals think it looks like a large footprint - thus the name "Tabuaeran" which means heavenly footprint.  The majority of the population is in the coconut industry though they also farm seaweed for the Asian market.

We were told that Norwegian Cruise Lines initially put this island on their itinerary for their Hawaiian cruises so that they could go round trip to the U.S. mainland.  There is a treaty that was designed to protect American shipping that requires that ships that are not U.S. flagged and make round trip cruises to the U.S. must stop at a distant foreign port before returning to the U.S.  Thus NCL needed a foreign port and they began stopping at Fanning Island.  That was before NCL got one or two of their ships registered in the U.S.  They then abandoned Fanning Island as a cruise stop.

Today's experience was very different.  Many of us on board had purchased school and medical supplies that were collected by the ship and distributed today to the island school.  We were asked by the ship not to purchase anything at the island's general store as those supplies are necessary for those who live on the island and they do not receive shipments of goods very often.

The island itself is beautiful - lined with coconut palms that are rooted in the grey coral sands and stand near incredibly blue waters.  There is a simple wooden dock that is safe but not in the greatest repair that accepts cruise passengers as the tenders come in.  As we walked down the dock there was a group of school children who sang for us.  There were some chairs set up in the shade for passengers near the dock and a ways down there was a makeshift stage where other island children performed.

The pathway into town was paved with coral sands and littered with mud puddles (as they have recently had rain) and it was lined with tables filled with shell jewelry, baskets, wood carvings and very unusual knives with blades edged with shark's teeth.  The price for souvenirs was very low so it was easy to make a contribution to their economy.  Groups of islanders dressed in grass skirts or other traditional costumes stood along the path posing for photos (and small donations).  At one point there was a group of preschool and primary school age children, along with their teacher, holding pictures they had drawn, and singing for us.  They were absolutely charming.

The islanders live in thatched huts or simple buildings with tin roofs and no walls.  The arrival of a cruise ship is a large event.  This sure was a very interesting event for us also.  One I will remember for a long time.  It is exotic ports like this that always makes me appreciate Holland America.

There were some swells in the ocean today - the trip out to the island went easily, but on the return we had to head over the waves that so beautifully lap upon their shores, causing splashes that topped the tenders and trickled in at our feet.  All part of the experience.

You have such a way with words. Thank you. 

• Like 8

54 minutes ago, aliaschief said:

Anyone else having CC issues today. Having to log back in a lot, notifications that I have 200 of them pops up all the time?

I’ve had to log back in a couple of times today if I clicked a notification but no big deal.  Sorry you are having a difficult time 😔 

• Like 5

Good evening. Thanks for the Daily.

Blessings to those observing Yom Kippur.  I've only made knitted hats, and don't have a felt hat.

Good quote. I like the meal (arroz con pollo), drink and wine.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I'm really late today. It's rainy here and I've been reading. Finally reading The Path between the Seas, which I had meant to read before my last cruise in 2019 which was a transit of the Panama Canal from LA to NYC.

@rafinmd I hope you enjoy the reunion. Stay safe and safe travels.

@lindaler Great that you're enjoying your visit with family.

@ger_77, @sailingdutchy, @Vict0riann Sorry to hear about the cruise cancellations.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask. 400+ new cases here in 24 hours. About 20% of cases are breakthrough, but fortunately almost no deaths in that group. Hospital ER's having long wait times. Some due to a shortage of workers. Let's hope this settles down.

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, aliaschief said:

Good morning! Feeling a little bruised after telling it like it was on another post.😁More rain in the forecast, in fact lots of rain. Nicholas is gushing.

Thanks Rich and others for our daily Daily!

I had to go back and read that other post.  Human nature, I suppose.  I think the ignore list is a great thing.  I put my first person on it this past year and your friend might be the second.

• Like 15

@kazuI’m going with Jose’s version of arroz con pollo.  Looks great!

We had a nice tour this morning in Sitka viewing seals, otters, bald eagles, and whales.  When we got back we tried the Navigator app for ordering from Dive In.  It was almost ready when we got there.  We went to choose a seat and by the time we sat down it was there.2C78239E-6F8E-4918-A30A-6E504B4E1B9F.thumb.jpeg.74ba827dbf5889a3b3b5671e493c1b38.jpeg

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, dfish said:

@kazuI’m going with Jose’s version of arroz con pollo.  Looks great!

Great pic 😄 . that is an impressive tour indeed.

Just a slight clarification - it might be Jose’s preference but he doesn’t cook it 😉 

He just enjoys the benefits 😉 

For someone with such good sense of taste, I have to say, he’s a terrible cook unless you want everything cooked to death (I don’t).

• Like 4
  • Haha 13

11 hours ago, rafinmd said:

Thank you for the hump day Daily, Rich.  Wishing the best to all who celebrate Yom Kippur.  I won;t make a hat and it won't be felt but they provide protection from the sun.  I like the Emerson quote and the meal.  I have not been to Fanning Island.  Tomorrow is getaway day for my high school reunion so it will be a very busy day and morning tomorrow.  I hope I'm not getting too sloppy on the lists.

Today’s care list:

Welfare of furloughed crews
Western wildfires
cat shepard’s friend undergoing chemo for stage four cancer
dfish friend Donna recovering from hip surgery
irishjim and kplady recovering in hospital
Lady Hudson’s BIL awaiting rehab
Sam recovering from small stroke hospitalized until medication levels adjusted
Those affected by Nicholas
Jose with muscle spasm and caregiver Kazu
From the rotation:
HAL Sailor DH health issues
Scout Jamie C recovering from major surgery

Celebrations and Shoutouts

2 BHB with passengers
Front Line Health Care Workers
Notseh2o visit with mom
Overhead Fred at the Cottage and negative
Getaway for segarsmoker
lindaler visiting Alabama son
new photo of Camila
SusieKislandGirl in Colorado with grandsons
Safe travels to Icand9223 leaving Thursday for River cruise
my negative test and coming high school reunion
and Staff Captain Sabine, HAL’s likely first female Captain(I know this is a repeat but she’s worth it)

Roy

Roy you can   drop me from the rotations my  cancer was sucess

and I am back home, Lost my ear but I can live with that for now,

Jim,

• Like 8
  • Thanks 13