The Daily for Saturday September 25, 2021

richwmn

Good morning and thanks all!  My DM loved bunnies. Enjoying the photos of the port! 
@smitty34877 yikes,  hope he recovers quickly! 
@kazu we declared a state of emergency as well,  we are having the worst number of cases ever.   Very scary in the hospitals right now, and they’ve asked for military assistance.

So happy that the two Michael’s have been released from Chinese jails,  thank you to all the US and Canadian diplomats who worked so hard  on this!   

enjoying the beautiful fall! 

1A6FEE14-2251-40B2-96B3-2C8C6435BA4C.jpeg

F63B84FB-47E9-4454-9D3A-AD79A8D17CDE.jpeg

6D193B55-0EB0-4D79-BDAE-4369BC82EE6B.jpeg

F3444D34-94DD-4566-BC34-7B72A6D7A31C.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 30
  • Thanks 1

Good morning everyone and Happy Saturday!  Thank you for the Daily Rich and thank you for your lists Roy.  Extra prayers for @smitty34877 DGS and my Ladies group son Jakob. 

The days are worth celebrating and the meal suggestion sounds really good. I’ll save it for another day because we had chicken legs Thursday.  

Yesterday after shopping we went to our favorite pizza place.https://pizza-luna.com/ I had sausage and mushroom:

A7BF1D6A-D627-419A-B469-B291D5B5D66C.thumb.jpeg.89522d69994c5b649d5a67774affc056.jpeg

Craig had Margherita:

CFA9D9BA-8949-446A-ABBE-1939331373C3.thumb.jpeg.b42c0b6352b2e7d717e6ec7fdd9f6ee6.jpeg

We have lots of leftovers so that will be lunch today. 

Have a great day everyone!

• Like 25
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ger_77 said:

Good morning, thanks for the Daily!  I like rabbits - we have one or two in our neighbourhood and I always leave vegetables outside in the winter for them.  I don't remember the last time I actually read a comic book; I'm sure it was more than 20 years ago.  Never hunted, but love to go fishing, both summer and winter.  Ice fishing is great if you have the right clothing; it's even more fun if you catch something.

Well last night was fun - we attended the Council on Aging's Grand Old Opry where different musical groups performed and were judged by a local musician - a member of Canada's "Northern Pikes", Jay Semko.  He was very generous with his comments on the various performances, but when the evening came to an end, DH's band won the "Judge's Choice" award.  They were the final act, and they really brought the house down - people were clapping along, some got up and were dancing, others (even the competition) were playing along on spoons if you please!    Here's a pic of the group who were brought back on stage after the majority of them had changed out of their "fancy shirts".  DH is 2nd from left in the jacket and Hard Rock Cafe t-shirt.

Paddlewheelers.JPG.223f1092b90c957171cd5434f6247ec9.JPG

This morning we were up and at 'em early, as DH was heading about an hour north of here with a drone film crew where they'll be filming a documentary about the history of the area.  Lunch packed, bear spray packed (yes, there are a ton of bears this year), water onboard, and they were off before 8AM.   Now I have the day to myself, so first on the agenda is taking all the covers off the plants, as frost was predicted for last night - which didn't happen.  I've checked the forecast and we shouldn't have any for at least a week, so I'm a happy camper.

I like today's menu suggestion, but it seems I'll be alone for dinner tonight, so I'll either order pizza or check for something that looks like it's single-serve from the freezer.  And wine.

Prayers for everyone who needs them and even for those who don't think they do.  Extra prayers for young Jakob; poor little guy!!  Raising the wine glass to celebrate all on the happy list.  Stay safe, wear your masks, be well, wash your hands, and hydrate!

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

What a fun group! We will be sailing with you next year on the TA cruise. Maybe we can find a few guitars aboard and jam.

Here is a 5 yr old photo of my band.

012477F8-2B6A-4B9A-BB1B-3E1D44DB61F7.jpeg

• Like 21

5 minutes ago, jimgev said:

What a fun group! We will be sailing with you next year on the TA cruise. Maybe we can find a few guitars aboard and jam.

Here is a 5 yr old photo of my band.

012477F8-2B6A-4B9A-BB1B-3E1D44DB61F7.jpeg

Great looking group!

A few years ago, we had a small group on our roll call that brought their instruments and performed in the afternoon in a quiet spot on the Prinsendam.  That quiet spot got pretty crowded as they were very good and it was a lot of fun.

• Like 17

1 hour ago, smitty34877 said:

Good morning  to all. We see rabbits on occasion  as we are adjacent to a large park.I will save  the recipe for another day as lasagna was requested by the crew.I like the quote and love the port pictures as we have not been there.

I am trying not to freak out but my DS just called and told us DGS  tested positive  for covid.  He and his sister will be 11 in a few weeks.Their school district  has been proactive  with masks and distancing. My son is a n Administrator  in another school district where there is a lot of opposition  to these measures. The rest if the family went to get tested.They live in another state.

Hopefully  DGS's case will be minor.

Thanks for "listening "

Terry

Yes, hopefully it will be minor or even a false positive.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

@smitty34877  Terry, I'd be worried too in your place.  Hope your DGS has a mild case or a false positive.

@Sharon in AZ  Sharon, that's good news that Jakob is off oxygen.  Sending good thoughts for a speedy recovery.

@dfish  Debbie, I can't understand the opposition to face masks, especially in school.  I don't think they limit my freedom, but they give me more freedom to go places, even though we are still being ultra careful.

Lenda

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jimgev said:

Yes, hopefully it will be minor or even a false positive.

We had an experience with false positives, so it it something to be aware of.

Our son-in-law and DGD both had cold symptoms.  They bought an at-home test kit -- a two-pack.  Both tested positive.  The entire family then went for PCR tests at various locations and ALL tested negative.  A little more research told us that it was probably a bad batch of tests initially, and also that while false positives do occur, there are virtually no false negatives with the home tests.  So a negative is quite reliable.

Just sharing this fwiw.  Flu season is coming up and there will be lots of testing going on.

• Like 19
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Sharon in AZ said:

I just heard from Jakob’s mother that he is off oxygen this morning. He is still in PICU, the doctors wanted to monitor his breathing on his own before moving him to a regular room. She sent a picture to our Ladies group and he looks good but you can tell he’s been ill. 

Many thanks to everyone praying for him and asking about him. Thank you all my Daily family!

That is very good news Sharon.

Hopefully Jakob will continue to improve and recover quickly to full health.

Graham.

• Like 14

4 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Greetings from the lovely Eurodam!

Everything has been absolutely wonderful and it’s so good to be back on a ship. We had 2 nights in Athens, and our first night onboard last night. I feel like I’m finally over my jet lag. 

We’re having our first Gala night tonight and tomorrow the first of 2 days in Limassol. 

When we boarded yesterday we were greeted with cheers and waves —everyone is happy and excited. Such a sight for sore eyes!

27CB55D2-C3B1-458F-A6C4-162E49DF8F3F.thumb.jpeg.32689c1d8413faf2a0cf9b85f4b91d1d.jpeg

04878AAF-A96D-4F44-BE81-63AD0534A833.thumb.jpeg.2c1e3d22e6a08f7bd0cb0fc72fcb9ebe.jpeg

Hope to be there on board in a couple of weeks , suitcases are on the beds ............. so busy with last minute stuff that I cant post my nice pictures of Pisco  

• Like 16

I dug through my pictures of our first time in General San Martin and our flight over the Nazca lines.  Between the plane's windows and time, the pictures are not very good, even after I scanned them and worked on them.  DH is going through his videos to see if he can get any good screen shots.

I'll show the pictures that did fairly okay, but the one of the monkey just did not work.  I also found a couple pictures of Pisco that show a better part of town than the ones I shared earlier.

Plaza de Armas de Pisco with a statue of General San Martin

jpg287.thumb.jpg.ea369f345600c4deb7257936abf88b38.jpg

The churchjpg288.thumb.jpg.999beda1b9445ff78b690185a1277824.jpg

This is the tower at the airport where we boarded the plane for our flight.  Looks like it should be in the south Pacific.

jpg289.thumb.jpg.8dae63d85ff8c85c27c3d193beb97962.jpg

jpg290.thumb.jpg.441ae06acf4c85f83df1b3b9f7d53159.jpg

The one figure that I have a good picture of is the Astronaut that was done on a hillside.jpg291.thumb.jpg.9d92d9c1e06486391ab3b76cdc079bef.jpg

A couple of pictures from the plane.  The long thin white line is the road researchers used to get to the sight.  The wide white rectangle in the second picture is part of the Nazca Lines.

jpg292.thumb.jpg.a91cddb8bfa0b98c367a4c96e605970d.jpg

jpg293.thumb.jpg.fc5a573e435834891e0a4af3f9ed488b.jpg

Two screenshots from DH's video of the hummingbird

1898908197_Screenshot(40).thumb.png.a7fb5309d509b18bb68ff6c07145e974.png

1549796845_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.787f6ccf188009db5d4f438d6914b055.png

The spider

1118282730_Screenshot(44).thumb.png.fbfe26e5a5ef28641375b744cbc2aa75.png

Just after I closed our CC, I found another imagine DH had sent.  It's a bird, but I could not find out if was the condor or not.

1411075101_Screenshot(46).thumb.png.c6e2018dab2189d6a7e32550bcd82f53.png

Lenda

Edited by Quartzsite Cruiser
  • Like 29

Lenda, @Quartzsite Cruiser Thank you so much for the German Chocolate cake recipe.  I've saved it and hope to make it soon, maybe around Thanksgiving.  Our DD requested it for her 40th birthday back in April and I never did.  The icing really sounds like what I've made before, not sure about the cake part, but I'm tempted to just do what you do and make it from the box. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

I dug through my pictures of our first time in General San Martin and our flight over the Nazca lines.  Between the plane's windows and time, the pictures are not very good, even after I scanned them and worked on them.  DH is going through his videos to see if he can get any good screen shots.

I'll show the pictures that did fairly okay, but the one of the monkey just did not work.  I also found a couple pictures of Pisco that show a better part of town than the ones I shared earlier.

Plaza de Armas de Pisco with a statue of General San Martin

jpg287.thumb.jpg.ea369f345600c4deb7257936abf88b38.jpg

The churchjpg288.thumb.jpg.999beda1b9445ff78b690185a1277824.jpg

This is the tower at the airport where we boarded the plane for our flight.  Looks like it should be in the south Pacific.

jpg289.thumb.jpg.8dae63d85ff8c85c27c3d193beb97962.jpg

jpg290.thumb.jpg.441ae06acf4c85f83df1b3b9f7d53159.jpg

The one figure that I have a good picture of is the Astronaut that was done on a hillside.jpg291.thumb.jpg.9d92d9c1e06486391ab3b76cdc079bef.jpg

A couple of pictures from the plane.  The long thin white line is the road researchers used to get to the sight.  The wide white rectangle in the second picture is part of the Nazca Lines.

jpg292.thumb.jpg.a91cddb8bfa0b98c367a4c96e605970d.jpg

jpg293.thumb.jpg.fc5a573e435834891e0a4af3f9ed488b.jpg

Two screenshots from DH's video of the hummingbird

1898908197_Screenshot(40).thumb.png.a7fb5309d509b18bb68ff6c07145e974.png

1549796845_Screenshot(42).thumb.png.787f6ccf188009db5d4f438d6914b055.png

The spider

1118282730_Screenshot(44).thumb.png.fbfe26e5a5ef28641375b744cbc2aa75.png

Just after I closed our CC, I found another imagine DH had sent.  It's a bird, but I could not find out if was the condor or not.

1411075101_Screenshot(46).thumb.png.c6e2018dab2189d6a7e32550bcd82f53.png

Lenda

What an absolutely amazing experience!  To see the Nazca lines is really something and thanks for sharing it with us 🤙

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kazu said:

What an absolutely amazing experience!  To see the Nazca lines is really something and thanks for sharing it with us 🤙

It was amazing.  We looked into doing it again in 2015, but like a lot of things the price was very expensive.  Glad we did it 20 years ago.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

It was amazing.  We looked into doing it again in 2015, but like a lot of things the price was very expensive.  Glad we did it 20 years ago.

You have to grab the opportunities when you have them 😉 

Years ago on our honeymoon, we went to Chichen  Itza by plane.  It seemed like a lot of money at the time but it turns out now, it was a deal when you see how much they are now.

Went early morning before it was too hot with a private guide and enjoyed it with just a very few people.  When the buses arrived with the exhausted, hot people we were very glad we did what we did and took our little plane back to our hotel.  I was nervous to do the plane but it turned out to be an army plane which was laid out very comfortably and very safe.

We were both lucky we did what we did when we could 🤙

• Like 15

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. It's also National Cooking Day! Great quote.

The drumsticks sound good and I'll pass on the drink and wine. I'll take Roy's soup though.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I spent the morning getting the lawn mowed, before possible rain this afternoon.

You don't miss things until you can't have them. On this low fiber diet, no nuts, seeds, raw fruits or veggies, whole grains, etc. So it's eggs, plain yogurt, chicken soup, applesauce, rice, and the like.

@grapau27 So nice to be close to the beach. I grew up at the shore, 1 mile from the beach, and miss it.

@JAM37 I will start early on Monday. The first part says at 5PM but I'm going to move it up to 4PM so I can get a bit of sleep. Unfortunately I will have to get up at 3:30AM to do the 2nd part, as my test is at 8:30AM Tuesday.

@mamaofami I'm glad to hear Sam is doing well. 

@cat shepard You'll have great abs from doing that!

@kb4683 I never heard of the Nazca lines and had to google it. How cool!

@Cruising-along Enjoy!

@ger_77 Congrats to DH and his band!

@smitty34877 Terry, sorry to hear about DGS. Hopefully his case is mild and the rest of the family is negative.

@Sharon in AZ Good to hear that Jakob has improved enough to not need oxygen.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

Edited by JazzyV
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, JazzyV said:

Good afternoon. Thanks for the Daily.

Interesting days. It's also National Cooking Day! Great quote.

The drumsticks sound good and I'll pass on the drink and wine. I'll take Roy's soup though.

I haven't been to today's port. Thanks for the pictures.

I spent the morning getting the lawn mower, before possible rain this afternoon.

You don't miss things until you can't have them. On this low fiber diet, no nuts, seeds, raw fruits or veggies, whole grains, etc. So it's eggs, plain yogurt, chicken soup, applesauce, rice, and the like.

@grapau27 So nice to be close to the beach. I grew up at the shore, 1 mile from the beach, and miss it.

@JAM37 I will start early on Monday. The first part says at 5PM but I'm going to move it up to 4PM so I can get a bit of sleep. Unfortunately I will have to get up at 3:30AM to do the 2nd part, as my test is at 8:30AM Tuesday.

@mamaofami I'm glad to hear Sam is doing well. 

@cat shepard You'll have great abs from doing that!

@kb4683 I never heard of the Nazca lines and had to google it. How cool!

@Cruising-along Enjoy!

@ger_77 Congrats to DH and his band!

@smitty34877 Terry, sorry to hear about DGS. Hopefully his case is mild and the rest of the family is negative.

@Sharon in AZ Good to hear that Jakob has improved enough to not need oxygen.

Prayers for the care list and cheers for the celebration list.

Stay safe and wear your mask if needed.

Thank you JazzyV.

Sending prayers 🙏 for Tuesday.

Take care.

Graham.

Edited by grapau27
  • Like 7

4 hours ago, rafinmd said:

For the second day in a row I did not have an archived sunrise but was able to get one this morning, taken on my morning walk at our local mall's parking garage.

dawn0925a.JPG.ea15a1d8049e6bd00907f6353a

Roy

Here is the Sunrise in Seattle today from Nieuw Amsterdam balcony 6105:

488272955_SeattleSunrisefromNA.thumb.JPG.183eab05a9f40d75097b6ba232196eca.JPG

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jimgev said:

I'm sure DH would be happy to do that!

2 hours ago, kazu said:

A few years ago, we had a small group on our roll call that brought their instruments and performed in the afternoon in a quiet spot on the Prinsendam.  That quiet spot got pretty crowded as they were very good and it was a lot of fun.

A number of years ago DH and one of his bandmates brought their travel guitars onboard, as they had a major gig just a week after the cruise ended.  They played in the privacy of our cabins, but we discovered a number of people stood near the doors to listen to them.  LOL  Unfortunately, guitars are among the prohibited items that HAL has added to their list along with coffee makers, barbecues, and the like. 

@smitty34877that is rather jarring news about your DGS; hopefully it will turn out alright for him.

Smooth Sailing!  🙂🙂🙂

Gerry

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Good afternoon!  Almost didn't make it to the party...  The Seattle cousins have gone shopping, Murchie's for tea and then Rogers Chocolates are a must, then they are going to the cemetery to put some flowers on their parents' grave.  Then they will have dinner at my Victoria cousin's house and to see the newlyweds (now married 1 year) and the new baby.  We sent a gift for the baby with them, as we haven't seen Connor either.  Perhaps they will have pictures when they get back here.  Tomorrow morning is breakfast at the golf club with more cousins, and then they are going to the ferry.  It's been a whirlwind.

I have lots of pictures from our day in General San Martin on Zaandam.   The Ballestas, aka the Galapagos of Peru, were fascinating, barren islands covered with guano which is collected for sale every few years.  Birds and other wildlife everywhere.  Then we went to the desert, more barren land with just nothing anywhere.  Evidently it was originally under the sea and the land is too salt to grow anything.  

The BallestasIMG_1899.thumb.JPG.9798e93c9c59ca3d858b1466cda3b56e.JPG

IMG_1869.thumb.JPG.fb11f03a8bf343c0d8acae648c272ee8.JPG

P1040516.thumb.JPG.00e7a31ddac0f23d1beee363517a87dc.JPG

IMG_1816.thumb.JPG.5cb5662218f4a95866dca3b3c01a8008.JPG

IMG_1878.thumb.JPG.b9692aa9c3e34d39e1c43993cf78d62a.JPG

IMG_1886.thumb.JPG.b1dfa5425c1095df454fc6179ace323d.JPG

P1040488.thumb.JPG.81ba98caa53aeca7b02377ee9ad4414a.JPG

IMG_1761.thumb.JPG.7854177cae9dade215ce3456ad811157.JPG

And the desert

P1040618.thumb.JPG.440790c87b54618d9d7e6d1aaeb64175.JPG

IMG_0291.thumb.JPG.18d0b2fd3ba3024df7597df5a649b86b.JPG

P1040610.thumb.JPG.5296c49dc1e458da023e5e0e3fa4e38a.JPG

• Like 24

29 minutes ago, ger_77 said:

Unfortunately, guitars are among the prohibited items that HAL has added to their list along with coffee makers, barbecues, and the like. 

OMG - seriously?  What a shame 😞 

• Like 8