What’s an item you’ve requested in the MDR.

HicksRA

I asked why they took Savouries off the menu; the little poppy seeds rolls. 
I hadn’t seen them in a couple of years. From that night on, I had a little plate with half a dozen of them. 
I’ve always wondered if they somehow just made that many, or if they were already providing them for someone else. 

4 minutes ago, jagsfan said:

I asked why they took Savouries off the menu; the little poppy seeds rolls. 
I hadn’t seen them in a couple of years. From that night on, I had a little plate with half a dozen of them. 
I’ve always wondered if they somehow just made that many, or if they were already providing them for someone else. 

If you have the right Waiter you can get them.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am assuming many of you choose traditional dining same table and same waitstaff.  In anytime where they practically throw the food at you all at once, it seemed to be an ordeal when we asked for warm bread every night or a drink refill. 

We have never had that issue in my time dining.  My DH drinks way too much diet coke and they are very good at keeping his glass filled.  We have even had more than one waiter bring out a pitcher of diet coke so they can refill easily.  If you get a good table and waitstaff in MTD, just stop at the host podium on your way out and ask for that table and waitstaff to be assigned to you each night.  If you don't like who you have but notice another waitstaff team near you that was really good, stop and ask for them the next night.  It is very easy to get the same waitstaff in MTD.

• Like 3

If we are doing a 7 or 8 night cruise I'll eat off the menu but if we are doing a b2b or longer and have same waiter the whole trip.  I have asked for large house salad or Cesar salad with grilled shrimp or chicken and a baked potato when I tire of same menu every week.  

Lobster night I like to get large salad with 3 lobster tails that I cut into pieces and put in the salad.  

I love the rolls with pumpkin seeds too!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reallyitsmema said:

We have never had that issue in my time dining.  My DH drinks way too much diet coke and they are very good at keeping his glass filled.  We have even had more than one waiter bring out a pitcher of diet coke so they can refill easily.  If you get a good table and waitstaff in MTD, just stop at the host podium on your way out and ask for that table and waitstaff to be assigned to you each night.  If you don't like who you have but notice another waitstaff team near you that was really good, stop and ask for them the next night.  It is very easy to get the same waitstaff in MTD.

We have never had a bad Waiter in all our years of cruising.On our last cruise in 2019 on the Anthem we had a Waiter who we had many years earlier on another RCI ship.We recognized each other and had a wonderful dining experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

If we are doing a 7 or 8 night cruise I'll eat off the menu but if we are doing a b2b or longer and have same waiter the whole trip.  I have asked for large house salad or Cesar salad with grilled shrimp or chicken and a baked potato when I tire of same menu every week.  

Lobster night I like to get large salad with 3 lobster tails that I cut into pieces and put in the salad.  

I love the rolls with pumpkin seeds too!

We learned years ago that one can order off the menu.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

I am assuming many of you choose traditional dining same table and same waitstaff.  In anytime where they practically throw the food at you all at once, it seemed to be an ordeal when we asked for warm bread every night or a drink refill. 

I have never had the experience of feeling like they throw food at you all at once.  Actually the opposite where sometimes we sat a little too long in between courses, but that's fine we are on vacation and relax mode.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lenquixote66 said:

We learned years ago that one can order off the menu.

Yes, my Father taught me this many years ago when we cruised the first couple of times with my parents.  My Dad was always ordering deserts, some of his favorites, that weren't on menu but had had them on royal ships before.

The one thing I find missing the most on the menu’s in the MDR and Coastal Kitchen is a simple garden salad.  I have frequently just ordered a gander salad with a ranch or blue cheese dressing, on the side, when I do not really see a starter I want. 

Something else I have on occasion ordered is to ask for a side of horseradish with shrimp cocktail.  I find their standard cocktail sauce simply not to liking.  No kick to it at all. 

In our 20 cruises with Royal, we have asked to be reseated to a different only once.  The first night in the MDR the service was so slow and a couple of orders were just wrong.  Half the table had to eat before everyone was served to keep from having to eat cold food.  While it might have been fist night growing pains we did not want to take a chance and asked the maitre’d to be reseated in another area for the rest of the cruise.  I do not know if he said anything to our new wait staff but they were extremely attentive to us the entire cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

That is why I was one and done with any time dining. I don't do fancy meals on land, so I really appreciate the traditional experience.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Iamcruzin said:

We normally go with MTD but luckily have never had that problem.

• Like 1

While on a Celebrity RT LA-Hawaii cruise, one of my cousins asked why they never served corn as a veggie.  Afterwards, we were served corn on the cob every dinner. Also asked for extra bread sticks.  On a family cruise on Grandeur, cousin's hubby requested a hamburger and fries for the last dinner. 

Edited by shofer

18 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Cheese plate for us to nibble on whilst waiting to order.

Normally after the first night’s request it’s always waiting for us on arrival.

We did this on Celebrity the first night and received it every night.

2 hours ago, Sobro said:

We had a tablemate who asked for what is essentially a wedge salad. By the end of the cruise the entire table was ordering them.

The wedge salad is fabulous. Plain. I like very plain food. I love the wedge salad. And it goes very well with grilled cheese. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Coralc
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, OSUZorba said:

Every night? Isn't that still on the menu?

Not on the menu that I know of. Asked for it on my 9N harmony spring 2019 and had had it 3-4 nights in MDR. Did not try on Majesty sept 2019. Will try on upcoming Oct Serenade. 

25 minutes ago, Bailey & Sophie said:

You really eat grilled cheese every night? I love these. We have them frequently.

What kind of cheese does Royal use?

LOL. Not usually. But when we were on Majesty (Feb. 2020) No Specialty restaurants. Just a getaway. Bill would go to the Windjammer, and I would go to the Compass Deli for a grilled cheese panini. It turned out to be every night. pcur was on that cruise. :classic_biggrin: They use cheddar. 

But the original MDR request was on Mariner. I was slightly seasick for much of the cruise and the MDR didn't agree with me. Finally, in exasperation our waiter said, "What can I bring you that you will eat? "

I said, "Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich?" 

He said, "Done!". :classic_biggrin:

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Iamcruzin said:

We were My Time, have been for the last several years in fact.  Never seemed to be a problem.

37 minutes ago, Coralc said:

LOL. Not usually. But when we were on Majesty (Feb. 2020) No Specialty restaurants. Just a getaway. Bill would go to the Windjammer, and I would go to the Compass Deli for a grilled cheese panini. It turned out to be every night. pcur was on that cruise. :classic_biggrin: They use cheddar. 

But the original MDR request was on Mariner. I was slightly seasick for much of the cruise and the MDR didn't agree with me. Finally, in exasperation our waiter said, "What can I bring you that you will eat? "

I said, "Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich?" 

He said, "Done!". :classic_biggrin:

I get it. We did the New England cruise from Quebec a few years ago. The cab driver was kind enough to share his cold with me.

I wasn't really sick but couldn't taste much. I ate a lot of chicken fingers with mashed potatoes and gravy in the jammer. When you don't feel well it has to be comfort food.

Haven't been seasick except the time I did it to myself on Celebrity. (Note to self...do NOT mix 2 glasses of grapefruit juice and 2 cartons of milk before going on a rough ferry ride to visit Tulum. Oh, and lay off the martini bar after a few tipples the night before. This is not a good mix.)

• Thanks 1