What’s an item you’ve requested in the MDR.

HicksRA

11 hours ago, Ozark_Kid said:

My wife once said she loves curry dishes.  From that night on, whatever she ordered they would also bring out some kind of curry.

Same thing happened to us, we were in the Caribbean and said wanted some local Caribbean food / curries rather the the classic RC food, but instead they kept bringing extra Indian food every night, onion bhajis, curries, etc. every night lol

• Like 2

I have posted this before but here goes:  back in the day they had a soup called She Crab Soup.  I love almost any soup on their menu, but alas it went the way of the DoDo.  But on Liberty we were eating the potato soup, a fave of mine and I was telling the table about the She Crab and the waiter said, I can ask the Chef, keep in mind it had been off the menu for at least 3 years.  The next night they brought it to me and we had it 3 nights in a row!  I guess they had to make a whole batch of it.  But we were the only table in the MDR who ate this soup.  Pretty impressive as it was as delicious as I remember.  I haven't asked for it since, but I might!

Oh the other thing I ask for regularily is powdered sugar for my French Toast, that's how Moma made it and I don't like syrup on it...it took a while to get across what kind of sugar I wanted, they call it bakers sugar, but I get it every cruise now.

BTW, they always seem pleased that they have been able to accomodate your request too, smiling and beaming as if they have really done something spectacular, which of course they have.  They never act like it's an imposition.  We tip for that consideration, they deserve it.

Edited by BecciBoo
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, shellunderwater said:

One cruise, the Assistant Waiter suggested special apps.... Indian dishes in a ramekin each night.  Was awesome.

Curry.  Hubby loves it, hotter the better.  He's requested a curry dish from the crew mess, a day in advance, and always been accommodated. 

• Like 1

I've never asked for anything off menu, but after reading here, I told one of my travel buddies about the ability to make requests. He loves insanely hot and spicy food, so he asked for whatever they had that was "Indian hot". The waiter asked if he was sure and the first night only brought a small amount of a curry. When he saw my friend inhale it, the waiter said he'd fix him up every night and did so with generous helpings. My friend said he was in heaven the whole week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, timxrx said:

Would you be able to share the recipe if you still have it?

Thanks

I would ask for the mudslide cookie recipe, but I already know what it is.

1) Remove box of dough from freezer, allow to thaw

2) Scoop on to sheet and cook

😞

Edited by OSUZorba

1 hour ago, flamingos said:

Curry.  Hubby loves it, hotter the better.  He's requested a curry dish from the crew mess, a day in advance, and always been accommodated. 

We have done the same, the crew mess will most always have a curry available and your waiter will happily bring you some 🙂

• Like 2

20 hours ago, HicksRA said:

We all know that you can be accommodated for lots of requests in the Main Dining Room. It might be interesting to hear some of the things you’ve requested and been provided and give others some ideas of what they can request. 
On my last cruise, the waiter asked what kind of rolls I liked and I told him I like the cranberry rolls. (The soft bread rolls with bits of cranberry). Each night thereafter, he brought a basket of rolls and when I cut them open to butter them, they were crammed full of cranberries.  😃 

It was like eating bread and jelly….. 😉

Polish food one night.

Our then 8 yo was very upset that there were no milkshakes anywhere on the Allure, even for $$.

He drove my DH crazy, so lo and behold, when one of the chefs went around the MDR asking people if everything was good (it was!), my DH asked for a milkshake. And we would pay for it if they asked. They didn't ask for the money, but they brought out 2 strawberry milkshakes! We thanked them profusely, but I was very uncomfortable with my DH's audacity, though. I really don't like asking for something that is not on the menu because these poor people work so hard and now they had to scramble to create a milkshake.

I feel ok about asking for a veggie plate because they always have some veggies already steamed and ready to get plated, so it's different.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

I read on CC a while back to ask the waiter what was served for the crew dinner that day.  On an August 2019 Majesty of Seas sailing, I really enjoyed getting a curry dish 3 of the 4 nights.  Really made up the lack of any specialty restaurants.   Wished, I skipped 'steak' night as it was rather blah at best.  

5 hours ago, toocruisin2 said:

I ask for steamed milk for my coffee and peanut butter for my English muffins; please don’t judge me. 😊

I NEVER judge anyone else's food favorites.  This coming from a woman who likes sardine salad for dinner:

Empty 1 can sardines in a large bowl, olive oil and all.

Add chopped onions

Add chopped tomatoes

Add a little pepper

Add 2 capfuls of white vinegar.

Mix well and eat.

(I can hear Coralc gagging; she of the grilled cheese sandwich every.single.night.)

Edited by pcur
  • Haha 1